Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geez, I can't imagine 70' waves.
View Quote
just heard they saw an 83 footer on TWC

so much nope on that shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
During sandy here on Long Island people were stealing generators at night. They would bring in a lawn mower and rig it so it would stay on then shut the generator and take off with it. Happened to a good friend of mine. People sleeping at night wouldn’t notice because there was still the sound of an engine running while they slept.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Surf's up !

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Having a pallet of warm bottled water in the garage that can be cooled in the refrigerator, light to prep with after dark, and a fan while you sleep...are all nice to have wants but they will make the following week 100 times better for the person with that.  The cold water by itself, especially after busting your butt doing manual labor all day long, would be well worth it.
View Quote
I use my gen to:
Run deep freeze,fridge. 4 hours twice every 24 hours. AM and before dark
Run chargers.

I use batter operated box fans, led lights. At night.

No power to run lift stations.
I made an outdoor shower. We use camp toilets and buckets.
7 days no sewer 2 years ago.
All cooking is outdoors, grill or coleman stoves.

If you can camp and have that gear, you 100 years ahead of many. Add a gen and its luxury time.
A 5k btu 115 AC..dosent draw much....lolAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe @rktman26 is tired of living?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/Screen_Shot_2018-09-12_at_12-669177.JPG

I have room.  Hmmmm.... apocalypse or A/C, a house with a roof, and electricity?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm riding it out in New Bern.  

I stopped at the Shell station across the street to top off the gas tank, and a woman in front of me filled up a 5-gallon plastic water carboy with gas, the type you flip upside down for an office water cooler.  She said she had 8 five gallon cans of gas at the house, but why not use the water jug.

You see some strange things leading up to a hurricane.
That does not seem like a good idea
Maybe @rktman26 is tired of living?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/Screen_Shot_2018-09-12_at_12-669177.JPG

I have room.  Hmmmm.... apocalypse or A/C, a house with a roof, and electricity?
Thank you for the kind offer.

We haven't chosen to stay because we have no options.

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility.  After reviewing the information we have available, my wife and I have chosen to stay.

We're pretty well prepared, and this isn't my first rodeo.  I've looked at the maps regarding storm surge, and don't think I'll get any "surge" where we are.   If it floods, it floods, but I'll be here to mitigate any further damage.  I'll also be here to look after my neighbors place, and assist neighbors with the clean up effort.  If I leave, we may not be able to return for a while.  Kinston is between here and where we'd evacuate to.  Kinston floods if it rains anywhere in NC.

I'm not going to evacuate because the government says I should.  They also said I should eat a lot of pasta and grains.  Fuck them, I know what's best for me and mine.

We'll be fine.  Or not. But either way, it will have been our decision and we will deal with the consequences.

I'll be watching this thread, and update with what's going on in New Bern.  Right now, it's typical hot and humid day.  Of course, that's subject to change.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
During sandy here on Long Island people were stealing generators at night. They would bring in a lawn mower and rig it so it would stay on then shut the generator and take off with it. Happened to a good friend of mine. People sleeping at night wouldn’t notice because there was still the sound of an engine running while they slept.
View Quote
Haha...gotta give them points for ingenuity.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Powerhorse 2000 from Northern Tool. I beat it like a red headed stepchild, ethanol gas that sometimes doesn’t get Stabbil, run in the rain and she starts on 2nd pull every time. I’ll eventually get a companion unit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Smart move.

I'm seeing reports of water shelves being empty, gas running out, gas cans selling out.

Raleigh area guys, I'm supposed to get a few generators coming in either later today or tomorrow. Hit me up on PM or email and we can get you set if you're needing one. I don't expect them to be here long though. Also, chance we can get some cases of water if you don't have any.

**Supposed to with my company means it's a coin toss really. But that's what the boss man says.
View Quote
I have about 10 more generators in Raleigh. Making deals for them ARFCOMers to get you what you need if so. 4500 watt units.

***not trying to make anything, just trying to get supplies to those who need them***
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New models.  Again, look at the amount of distance between 48 hours and 72 hours with FLORENCE:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/06L_tracks_latest.png

Compare that with the distance between 48 and 72 hours with KATRINA:

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/worldofweather/sites/www.e-education.psu.edu.worldofweather/files/image/Section5/Katrina_track_gfs_ensemble_18Z_August27%20%28Medium%29.png

Hurricanes usually slow down after landfall, but that is not at all what's happening here.  Something atmospheric is expected to block it at the worst time - right before landfall.  Good news in that it should weaken moreso than they usually do, but that is offset by its overall strength in general.  Cat 5 to 4 sucks, Cat 4 to 3 still sucks.

It looks as though landfall will be anyone's guess right up until it happens.  It is a worst-case scenario in that the coast is shaped in such a way as to absorb the (most) destruction of the North and Northeast sides of the storm while it maintains strength over water.

The temporary stalling of the storm offshore will most likely produce rain, flooding, and flash floods well in excess of what has been predicted thus far, especially on that northern/NE part (NC mostly).  There may be people now at risk due to the excess rain who were safe before.
View Quote
Stalling over the Gulf Stream is not helpful.  I'll suck up energy from the warm water.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Some things to think about are drawing down your refrigerated foods before a predicted extended power outage.

Pack your freezer full of food and frozen water containers to extend the time to thaw. Consider combining frozen food in one freezer to minimize empty space and Fill the fridge freezer with frozen water containers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It'd be dead easy to wire up an alarm to fire up when the power goes out from disconnecting the genny (they already exist, actually).  If that alone wasn't enough to scare off the would-be thieves, it'd definitely be enough to wake me up and rack my shotgun.

Actually just the fan shutting off in my room would probably be enough to wake me up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just saw a report on TV.

There are many crews from Florida moving north to stage to help the people in the Carolinas.  Rescue, LE, power, aid etc.  Returning the favor for the help that the people of NC and SC provided last year for Irma.
View Quote
The Cajun Navy has rescue equipment staged in both Carolinas for quick deployment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is why I try to post the things the way I do.  I'm not affected by the storm where I'm at and I don't need to spend my day prepping or evacuating, so I use my time to compile the maps and post them every few pages so the people who scrambling to prep or evac have a quick way of finding the latest info.

For Irma I was posting traffic information from https://www.waze.com/livemap.  Traffic isn't as critical this time around as there are many more ways to get away in NC/SC than their is in FL.  But people will still wait until the last minute, accidents will happen, and there seems to be some road/lane closures to take into consideration.

I'm not sure what is going on between Charleston and Columbia, there are people traveling the road but it shows road/lane closures.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/roads_9_12_2018_12pm-669176.JPG
View Quote
Lane reversals for I-26 from Charleston to Columbia.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If power out for days and weeks, you dont think a noisy gen set and house lite up like christmas tree wont draw attention ?

Ppl can do what they want, id prefer low profile during disasters
View Quote
DT!

I agree!  In the hurricanes of 04 and 05 we added a glasspack muffler to the 5Kw Generator.

The power was out for 2 weeks after Charlie and no one else around had a generator.   It was nice and quiet and didn't scream "Come and steal me"
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It'd be dead easy to wire up an alarm to fire up when the power goes out from disconnecting the genny (they already exist, actually).  If that alone wasn't enough to scare off the would-be thieves, it'd definitely be enough to wake me up and rack my shotgun.

Actually just the fan shutting off in my room would probably be enough to wake me up.
View Quote

This is why I had my neighbors help guard the generator overnight.  They were happy enough to oblige since they benefitted from it as well.

Also you don't realize just how bone-tired you get working all day in the heat cleaning shit up in addition to doing your normal household chores, like laundry, without electricity available.  I slept like a rock overnight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Going back to the pressure maps I was talking about 10 pages or so ago, the pressure situation has completely changed in the last 3 days which is why there has been such a huge shift south.

This is the latest pressure map.  The high pressure ridge to the north of the storm is still there.  There was a low pressure trough that was starting to come across the western US which has dropped really far south.  For whatever reason the high pressure system that had been sitting inland on the east coast has greatly increased.  The high pressure systems block the storm and it moves towards the low pressure.  Based on my non-professional opinion it looks like the storm will go even further south than the models are showing.

Current pressure map, the storm is blocked north and west the only lower pressure being towards Florida.  Look at the 1025 and 1027 readings over the east coast.  There was nothing close to that yesterday morning.

Attachment Attached File

All of North America, from Canada down to Florida was sitting around 1015

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Every time there is a major storm with the potential for catastrophe, loss of life and tragic events...there are gonna be some people on the sidelines shouting something to the equivalent of "Ha-Ha! Pussies! I don't listen to no voodoo weatherman science!" You can count on it- some people just like to talk tough or portray bravado. Others genuinely can't comprehend "why" someone would want to get their family away from areas that will have chaos and possible danger in addition to week-long blackouts and no access to EMS/ER/Ambulance.

Ignore them. You are the only one who is going to look after your family. If you feel the need to leave whatever area you are in and get your family out of a potential affected zone...do it. Don't be influenced by people like that. Trust your gut and make a logical, well-informed decision. You've got nothing to lose by taking a mini vacation. Bugging out and facing the unknown is good experience- it's not an easy choice to make. It takes balls to leave your comfort zone and reject denial. My point is: There is NO shame in leaving your locality if on any level you feel the need to do so. Each person has to do what is best for their family.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
During sandy here on Long Island people were stealing generators at night. They would bring in a lawn mower and rig it so it would stay on then shut the generator and take off with it. Happened to a good friend of mine. People sleeping at night wouldn't notice because there was still the sound of an engine running while they slept.
View Quote
Pressure switch hooked to a 1lb pipe bomb would do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DT!

I agree!  In the hurricanes of 04 and 05 we added a glasspack muffler to the 5Kw Generator.

The power was out for 2 weeks after Charlie and no one else around had a generator.   It was nice and quiet and didn't scream "Come and steal me"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If power out for days and weeks, you dont think a noisy gen set and house lite up like christmas tree wont draw attention ?

Ppl can do what they want, id prefer low profile during disasters
DT!

Glasspack you say? I need to look into that. My generator is crazy loud, 22 HP twin cylinder gas engine on a 10K Generac unit. It does everything I need but damn it's loud.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
People don't think waves be like it is, but it do.

Given the surge along the coast is forecast to be up to 9' above ground in places, it's not far fetched that this storm will be pushing >30' waves on top of the surge...that's Bay St. Louis/Katrina level surge.

If you're near the coast between Charleston and Virginia City...get out while you still have a chance! Your window is fixin' to slam shut.

Please, stay safe!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
yup.  I live in quiet upscale neighborhood.  I turned that shit off because I was afraid someone would steal my gas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck that's a big wave.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, the center of the cone is now scheduled to pass just to the south of Tryon, North Carolina where they are having the World Equestrian Games this week and next.

They were expecting 500,000 visitors.  Parking in fields, etc. Facilities largely incomplete with grooms from around the world staying in tents. I expect it will look like Woodstock by Monday.

https://tryon2018.com/

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/weg-2018-tryon-grooms-tents-664162
View Quote
I can't imagine they haven't already postponed that shindig given the number of pricey horses expected.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I often chuckle at the genorator thing.

People, you don't need a genny unless you have the money to get a big 220 job that will run your AC, hot water or stove.

Lights, TV and a refrigerator  are really all you get.  Well I don't "need" either of those.  I can cook on a burner. I don't have a freezer full of $$$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.

You need, gas in your cars, gutters that are cleaned out and if it is really bad, a chainsaw after the storm passes and then only to clear your AO enough to allow you to get out if needed.

Your homeowner's insurance will cover the tree problem if you have any and the pros can do it much quicker than you ever will and it does not have to be done the day after the storm unless once again it is a safety concern.

If you are near an area affected by storm surge, GTFO.  That will be your biggest risk on the direct coast.

The loss of power is an inconvenience for most people.  If I had to pump my water out of a well or sump my sewage it would a slightly different view for me.  My municipal water comes from a tower, which is fed by pumps with back up power and my sewer is a septic tank in my yard.
View Quote
My Honda eu2000 has served me well.

Do I "need" it to survive? No. But it sure is nice to keep my food frozen/chilled, a light on, a fan running, electronic gizmo's charged.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
State of Emergency declared for Georgia.

And TWC just showed my AO getting 8-12inch of water. Now its a party.

(unless classes get canceled then I'm heading to Jacksonville just for shits and giggles)
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am located near the Wrightsville Beach draw bridge (Wilmington)
I have to say I have not watched a ounce of tv coverage  the hype, scare tactics, warnings
This hurricane has been far less stressful than the past ones when I eagerly watched, followed the newscasts etc.
I recommend it.
View Quote
How long can you hold your breath?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Morning Video Discussion: Hurricane Florence and the Rest of the Tropics
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can't imagine they haven't already postponed that shindig given the number of pricey horses expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the center of the cone is now scheduled to pass just to the south of Tryon, North Carolina where they are having the World Equestrian Games this week and next.

They were expecting 500,000 visitors.  Parking in fields, etc. Facilities largely incomplete with grooms from around the world staying in tents. I expect it will look like Woodstock by Monday.

It is hard to postpone it.  It is a huge undertaking.  They had it Lexington KY back in 2010, first time the games were ever held in the US.  Lexington put up a count down clock that was counting the days until the games for a year.  Horses have to be flown in an quarantined as well.  Pastures and stables rented, housing, high quality food for the horses procured...etc.  It is the Olympics of horses.  I guess that is what they get for choosing not to have the World Equestrian Games at the "Horse Capitol of the World" again.    We actually have nice cool and dry weather right now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How long can you hold your breath?  
View Quote
Ehh insert well bye gif
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is hard to postpone it.  It is a huge undertaking.  They had it Lexington KY back in 2010, first time the games were ever held in the US.  Lexington put up a count down clock that was counting the days until the games for a year.  Horses have to be flown in an quarantined as well.  Pastures and stables rented, housing, food for the horses procured...etc.  It is the Olympics of horses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is hard to postpone it.  It is a huge undertaking.  They had it Lexington KY back in 2010, first time the games were ever held in the US.  Lexington put up a count down clock that was counting the days until the games for a year.  Horses have to be flown in an quarantined as well.  Pastures and stables rented, housing, food for the horses procured...etc.  It is the Olympics of horses.
Fixing to be the Atlantis of horses.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would notice cause my shit would go off, then they would notice from the bullets headed in their direction.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Cajun Navy has rescue equipment staged in both Carolinas for quick deployment.
View Quote
We are gearing up here in TN too.  I'm headed over Mon I think.

Gotta get them power lines squared away.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My shit is my problem, my water is gravity fed and yes municipal.  I pay for the service.  The municipality has put back up power at each water tower.

If I pumped from a well on my property, I would need a genny.
View Quote
Yeah but do those waterlines cross any culverts or bridges that may wash out....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I appreciate all of the info we can get from the 24 hr news cycle and the multitude of web sites that have various data about hurricanes but really there is a highly skilled group of people at the NHC that are providing the best predictive info out there.  A single model run should not be used for planning if you are in the potential impact zone.  If you read the details behind the 11am cone map NHC Forecast Discussion you can see that they are very comfortable with the predicted path over the next couple of days and why this is so.  What happens once Florence moves inland and becomes a blob of rain will probably be up in the air as the models don't handle that type of event nearly as well as a strong storm with clear steering factors.

I've been following hurricane stuff for a long time and I don't understand most of the scientific jargon but they usually give clues in the forecast discusson that are easy to understand like "There has been no significant change to the NHC model guidance, including the corrected-consensus models HCCA and FSSE, which are now virtually on top of each other and the simple consensus model TVCA. As a result, no changes were required to the previous NHC track." When you see things like that they have a good handle on it for the described time period.

When you start seeing things like saying "lots of uncertainty" or "divergent models" etc. they are saying they are less sure of what is happening because of they dynamics involved and that will be reflected in the cone.  People talked about all the wild swings in Irma last year yet it was never outside of the NHC cone, the cone was super wide at times because of uncertainty and you have to plan/go with that.

Best idea is to prep or evacuate based on the worst case for your area and be happy if it turns out better.

BTW on Monday I called elderly family members from inland NC who just happen to be in FL this week and told then under no circumstances should they return to NC until this was over.  They are physically unable to do anything prep/recovery wise and there is no reason for them to be sitting up there with no power for a week or more when they can stay with family here and let the EM people get things back to semi-normal.  My uncle is pretty stubborn but I don't think their flight will go even if he wanted to leave.

My thoughts and prayers are with those in the affected areas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do I "need" it to survive? No. But it sure is nice to keep my food frozen/chilled, a light on, a fan running, electronic gizmo's charged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I often chuckle at the genorator thing.

People, you don't need a genny unless you have the money to get a big 220 job that will run your AC, hot water or stove.

Lights, TV and a refrigerator  are really all you get.  Well I don't "need" either of those.  I can cook on a burner. I don't have a freezer full of $$$ of meat and can cook off what thaws.

You need, gas in your cars, gutters that are cleaned out and if it is really bad, a chainsaw after the storm passes and then only to clear your AO enough to allow you to get out if needed.

Your homeowner's insurance will cover the tree problem if you have any and the pros can do it much quicker than you ever will and it does not have to be done the day after the storm unless once again it is a safety concern.

If you are near an area affected by storm surge, GTFO.  That will be your biggest risk on the direct coast.

The loss of power is an inconvenience for most people.  If I had to pump my water out of a well or sump my sewage it would a slightly different view for me.  My municipal water comes from a tower, which is fed by pumps with back up power and my sewer is a septic tank in my yard.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this but it is my plan.
If the power is out for multiple days, genset will run during the day to power fridges and charge all the things.
I have a large rackmount UPS, a ton of cordless tool batteries (and a radio that runs off them), a 36v golf cart and several inverters.

Let it make noise during the day, shut it off and put it away at night.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Yesterday they started a mandatory evacuation for my area and today at 11:25 my work finally told me i did not have to come in.
Cant even get to work due to roads closed but they think i can drive against out bound traffic to come in and move a train for them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Glasspack you say? I need to look into that. My generator is crazy loud, 22 HP twin cylinder gas engine on a 10K Generac unit. It does everything I need but damn it's loud.
View Quote
@TinSpinner

Yes sir!   It worked really well...  why a glasspack?  Well that is just what we had laying around, but the low resistance worked well because the original muffler was kept in place.

The original muffler exit was threaded... we just used some old metal pipe that matched the threads and then stepped it up to accept the 2.5" glasspack and attached it with a muffler clamp. No leaks, and we used a piece of flat bar as a bracket to hold up the extra weight.

It worked REALLY well, I would say that it cut the noise by 80%.   I can't remember the HP of the generator (12 - 16hp maybe) but the Generator is a 1999 Generac 5000 / 6250 surge.  Still works great!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm riding it out in New Bern.

I stopped at the Shell station across the street to top off the gas tank, and a woman in front of me filled up a 5-gallon plastic water carboy with gas, the type you flip upside down for an office water cooler.  She said she had 8 five gallon cans of gas at the house, but why not use the water jug.

You see some strange things leading up to a hurricane.
View Quote
Just curious...how long have you lived there in New Bern and how many Cat 4 hurricanes have you experienced there?

Have you looked at the storm surge forecast for New Bern? Bear in mind that since last year storm surge is forecast 'above ground level' and no longer 'above high tide'. Appears you'll be dealing with a 15' surge above ground level, and before the wave action on top of the surge.

Good luck to you, Sir, I hope nobody dies trying to save you...and may God have mercy on your soul.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@TinSpinner

Yes sir!   It worked really well...  why a glasspack?  Well that is just what we had laying around, but the low resistance worked well because the original muffler was kept in place.

The original muffler exit was threaded... we just used some old metal pipe that matched the threads and then stepped it up to accept the 2.5" glasspack and attached it with a muffler clamp. No leaks, and we used a piece of flat bar as a bracket to hold up the extra weight.

It worked REALLY well, I would say that it cut the noise by 80%.   I can't remember the HP of the generator (12 - 16hp maybe) but the Generator is a 1999 Generac 5000 / 6250 surge.  Still works great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TinSpinner

Interesting, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use my gen to:
Run deep freeze,fridge. 4 hours twice every 24 hours. AM and before dark
Run chargers.

I use batter operated box fans, led lights. At night.

No power to run lift stations.
I made an outdoor shower. We use camp toilets and buckets.
7 days no sewer 2 years ago.
All cooking is outdoors, grill or coleman stoves.

If you can camp and have that gear, you 100 years ahead of many. Add a gen and its luxury time.
A 5k btu 115 AC..dosent draw much....lolhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170912_191003-669191.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170912_185947-669189.JPG
View Quote
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
People don't think waves be like it is, but it do.

Given the surge along the coast is forecast to be up to 9' above ground in places, it's not far fetched that this storm will be pushing >30' waves on top of the surge...that's Bay St. Louis/Katrina level surge.

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/katrina5_08_27/k01_24786175.jpg
https://www.dailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/migration/2015/201508/NEWS_150829518_AR_0_BRLNEFHHTZGT.jpg?w=620

If you're near the coast between Charleston and Virginia City...get out while you still have a chance! Your window is fixin' to slam shut.

Please, stay safe!!
View Quote
I was in Biloxi after Katrina working, that surge was no joke.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Went out at lunch to top off the government vehicle in case we have to go do damage assessments next week. Glad I did because people are losing their lizard mindbrains around here (Lake Norman area) and draining the gas stations. It's like an ammo panic only it's gas and food which isn't interest specific.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#46]
obx begining to get clouds and feeling outer most outflow

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You get it too.  The difference between want and need.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thank you for the kind offer.

We haven't chosen to stay because we have no options.

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility.  After reviewing the information we have available, my wife and I have chosen to stay.

We're pretty well prepared, and this isn't my first rodeo.  I've looked at the maps regarding storm surge, and don't think I'll get any "surge" where we are.   If it floods, it floods, but I'll be here to mitigate any further damage.  I'll also be here to look after my neighbors place, and assist neighbors with the clean up effort.  If I leave, we may not be able to return for a while.  Kinston is between here and where we'd evacuate to.  Kinston floods if it rains anywhere in NC.

I'm not going to evacuate because the government says I should.  They also said I should eat a lot of pasta and grains.  Fuck them, I know what's best for me and mine.

We'll be fine.  Or not. But either way, it will have been our decision and we will deal with the consequences.

I'll be watching this thread, and update with what's going on in New Bern.  Right now, it's typical hot and humid day.  Of course, that's subject to change.....
View Quote
I salute your determinism, and wish you the best of luck!  Report as conditions permit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought some 1/2" Pewag security chain and it is secured to a structural member holding up the roof.  I also take the wheels of my 22hp generator once it is set in place, not easy to tote that off.  I know it can be cut but they better bring a group of guys and an angle grinder/spare batteries and its going to make some noise...

Hardened Security Chain
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It is hard to postpone it.  It is a huge undertaking.  They had it Lexington KY back in 2010, first time the games were ever held in the US.  Lexington put up a count down clock that was counting the days until the games for a year.  Horses have to be flown in an quarantined as well.  Pastures and stables rented, housing, high quality food for the horses procured...etc.  It is the Olympics of horses.  I guess that is what they get for choosing not to have the World Equestrian Games at the "Horse Capitol of the World" again.    We actually have nice cool and dry weather right now.
View Quote
I just happened to be in Lexington when the Horse Park was dedicated...so I went. Lexington area is beautiful area.

I grew up in KY.
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top