BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 224
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meanwhile I started getting the shakes like a crackhead looking for a rock seeing the Buccos in mini camp on Instagram

I am just about ready to load their preseason schedule in to my google calendar.
View Quote
I already did mine.

3/28 Suck @CIN
3/30 Suck @CIN
3/31 Suck @CIN
4/1 Suck against STL
4/3 Suck against STL
4/4 Suck against CIN
4/5 Suck against CIN
4/6 Suck against CIN
4/7 Suck against CIN
4/8 Suck @ CHC

You get the point.

Because it's not like we need a full time Shortstop or something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I already did mine.

3/28 Suck @CIN
3/30 Suck @CIN
3/31 Suck @CIN
4/1 Suck against STL
4/3 Suck against STL
4/4 Suck against CIN
4/5 Suck against CIN
4/6 Suck against CIN
4/7 Suck against CIN
4/8 Suck @ CHC

You get the point.

Because it's not like we need a full time Shortstop or something.
View Quote
I have affectionately renamed them the "Platoon Pirates"   NOBODY is a starter you just play where Clint tells you when he post the lineup after you get to the park.  Doesn't matter if you have never played it before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Clint has everyone's name printed on a ball and he pulls them out of that bingo basket.

Catcher...Bell
Starting pitcher...Chisenhall
First...Archer
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
At least you have a beautiful stadium
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
And Joey Cora.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And Joey Cora.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And Joey Cora.
Is true one both counts.

So trade...Joey Cora for Trevor Bauer?

I'll throw in a case of Hot Cheese Pepperoni Rolls and four of those "I Take Mine Black and Gold" Eat and Park coffee mugs and a box of their Smiley cookies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Kelvin Herrera was signed by the White Sox.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is true one both counts.

I'll throw in a case of Hot Cheese Pepperoni Rolls and four of those "I Take Mine Black and Gold" Eat and Park coffee mugs and a box of their Smiley cookies.
View Quote
Hell just to make sure the deal doesn't go sideways I will throw in some true WV Moonshine.  Perfect thing to put in that coffee mug.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
White Sox signed Jon Jay. Apparently they think signing all of Machado's bum friends(Although Jay isn't terrible) will convince him to come to the south side.

If it works i'll laugh my ass off for about an hour.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think CHW will sign either of Harper or Machado.  The recent history of winning isn't there and it isn't a cachet destination.

Predictions -

Machado - Yankee
Harper - Dodgers or Phillies
Outside chance no one offers the 10/$300 stuff they envisioned then Nats keep Harper and anyones guess Machado.

Cards get some scrub who hit 380 once in AA back in the 2009 season.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Phillies front office staff and ownership is meeting with Harper this weekend in Vegas.

Phillies are also expected to make another offer to Machado sometime this week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
And then sign him to a five year deal after one decent season in the big leagues...
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And then sign him to a five year deal after one decent season in the big leagues...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another bowtie idea
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Who got ate up in #3 by that hard hit ball?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any other Padre?

Dirty brown shirt wearing bastards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPhOOQT3bH0
You GOTTA body that ball up in that situation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Phillies front office staff and ownership is meeting with Harper this weekend in Vegas.

View Quote
I hope they get Harper.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Brewers in talks with San Fran about MadBum. Giants want Corey Ray(one of the Brewers top 3 prospects) plus one of Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff and Freddy Peralta.

I don't see that happening for 1 year of MadBum. If it was Ray+ other prospects, yes. Burnes and Woodruff should both be in the rotation this year and Freddy has an outside chance to make it as the #5. All 3 are young, proven to be able to pitch at the MLB level and are controlled for the next 6 years. I think that's too much for a 1 year rental. Granted you always start high when doing these deals, but i don't see him getting traded until the deadline.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hell just to make sure the deal doesn't go sideways I will throw in some true WV Moonshine.  Perfect thing to put in that coffee mug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is true one both counts.

Damn. Shit just got real!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn, sounds like they're ready to throw some cash at a pennant.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I just want these fuckers to sign so I don't have to get any more alerts about some MLB.com jackass writing a puff piece about Bryce Harper's projected stats over the next 7 seasons or the White Sox signing Machado's housekeeper.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just want these fuckers to sign so I don't have to get any more alerts about some MLB.com jackass writing a puff piece about Bryce Harper's projected stats over the next 7 seasons or the White Sox signing Machado's housekeeper.
View Quote
I want a FA signing deadline.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only slightly not as bad as last year, hearing non-stop about mediocre pitchers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Im starting to lean that way too. Remember one of the biggest signings and MVP finalist JDMart didnt even sign months into Spring Training last year.

A 3 week free-for-all frenzy would be fun for the fans/customers(ie: us).

But then what happens to the unsigned guys? Thats the part I cant figure out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were debating this on MLBN today. The consensus was that a trade deadline wouldn't be bad, but you can't force Free Agents to sign by a certain date because that means it's no longer FREE Agency.

A compelling Lassiez Faire argument.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But then what happens to the unsigned guys? Thats the part I cant figure out.
View Quote
After the deadline all FA sign for a set low amount,and to prevent collusion among owners to lower prices, any team who signs a FA after the deadline loses a draft pick and 2 minor leaguers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

After the deadline all FA sign for a set low amount,and to prevent collusion among owners to lower prices, any team who signs a FA after the deadline loses a draft pick and 2 minor leaguers.
View Quote
damn thats steep.

I dunno. Most those guys left are scrubs.

Thats pretty much making all flyer/NRI untouchable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

damn thats steep.

I dunno. Most those guys left are scrubs.

Thats pretty much making all flyer/NRI untouchable.
View Quote
I just want some damn hot stove action
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I understand the desire to see movement.  But, I don't think restricting free agency like this will be accepted by the union nor should it.  Instead I propose a trade deadline.  I think it would enhance the urgency of the clubs to figure out if they will deal or sign FAs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Brewers in talks with San Fran about MadBum. Giants want Corey Ray(one of the Brewers top 3 prospects) plus one of Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff and Freddy Peralta.

I don't see that happening for 1 year of MadBum. If it was Ray+ other prospects, yes. Burnes and Woodruff should both be in the rotation this year and Freddy has an outside chance to make it as the #5. All 3 are young, proven to be able to pitch at the MLB level and are controlled for the next 6 years. I think that's too much for a 1 year rental. Granted you always start high when doing these deals, but i don't see him getting traded until the deadline.
View Quote
Madbum hasn't been the same guy since his motorbike accident in April 2017.  Yeah, he is still a good pitcher.  But 2012-2016 he was a great pitcher.

I doubt he is traded because teams realize his last two years are not ace caliber and want to get him for his current value.  Which is also for a single year.  SFs brand new GM doesn't want to have his first big move to be dealing away their "former" ace for less than ace return.

Best bet for SF is to start next year with him and hope he returns to his more dominant self and then trade him to a team in need.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#30]
If I had my druthers, and neither the union nor owners would eve go for it, it would go like this:

1) FA signings are from Jan. 1 to Feb. 15.

2) Whatever horse trading needs done has to be done by Opening Day, including moving around prospects and players that keep bouncing from the majors to AAA and back. You go to war with the army you have. Any gaps in the roster due to injures, illness, suspensions, etc., have to be filled from a team's farm system after that.

3) Payroll Tax is figured on the Opening Day average. Teams over/under that average pay a tax on what they do or don't spend above/below that amount.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I had my druthers, and neither the union nor owners would eve go for it, it would go like this:

2) Whatever horse trading needs done has to be done by Opening Day, including moving around prospects and players that keep bouncing from the majors to AAA and back. You go to war with the army you have. Any gaps in the roster due to injures, illness, suspensions, etc., have to be filled from a team's farm system after that.

3) Payroll Tax is figured on the Opening Day average. Teams over/under that average pay a tax on what they do or don't spend above/below that amount.
View Quote
4. Playoff teams hold a postseason draft and can take 2 players from an eliminated teams roster for postseason play.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Pitchers and Catchers report on February 12th.

First Grapefruit League game is on February 23rd.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
4. Playoff teams hold a postseason draft and can take 2 players from an eliminated teams roster for postseason play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd go with that if it was only for postseason play. After the end of the postseason, ownership reverts back to the previous club.

As Steve noted, we're just over a month away from the start of Spring Training! Winter is nearly over!!!

Something Spent_Casing brought up was in a plan like what I, and others, brought up what happens to FA guys that don't get signed b the deadline?

A) Tough shit. Lot of people can't find jobs in their field.
B) Take it up with your agent because he isn't doing his job if he's overpricing you.
C) Tough shit. Sell cars.
D) Maybe you're good enough to get to the majors, but just not good enough to stay competitive with newer talent.
E) Tough shit. Suck dicks at the truck stop for all I care. We all got troubles buddy and didn't make obscene amounts of money for a couple of years playing baseball.
F) Become a talking head.
G) Tough shit. Should have put some away for a rainy day.
H) Coaching and managing somewhere are possible options.
I) Tough shit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#34]
i'd actually love seeing machado and harper going to the phillies..
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
So the Yankees can draft Eugenio Suarez and Jacob Degrom, the Red Sox draft Mike Trout and Aaron Nola and the Mets,  Reds, Angels and Phillies get dick?

Yeah, so I only have a few thousand issues with that. First would be that no one else would ever get to the post season because the huge teams would be drafting the best players from the other teams.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i'd actually love seeing machado and harper going to the phillies..
View Quote
Did you eat paint chips or something as a child?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you eat paint chips or something as a child?
View Quote
only smacked my head a couple times skateboarding..

fuck it man, i like seeing teams go all in.. it's great.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So the Yankees can draft Eugenio Suarez and Jacob Degrom, the Red Sox draft Mike Trout and Aaron Nola and the Mets,  Reds, Angels and Phillies get dick?

Yeah, so I only have a few thousand issues with that. First would be that no one else would ever get to the post season because the huge teams would be drafting the best players from the other teams.
View Quote
You only get to draft if you make the playoffs
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, exactly. The Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Indians, Dodgers, Brewers, Braves and Rockies made the playoffs last year. Say they each get to draft two players from non-playoff teams. Now all of the playoff teams are better and the non playoff teams lost their best players. Who makes the playoffs next year? And then the get to draft again next year. Who makes the next playoffs?

You're setting the playoff teams into perpetuity.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, exactly. The Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Indians, Dodgers, Brewers, Braves and Rockies made the playoffs last year. Say they each get to draft two players from non-playoff teams. Now all of the playoff teams are better and the non playoff teams lost their best players. Who makes the playoffs next year? And then the get to draft again next year. Who makes the next playoffs?

View Quote
I'm sorry, I meant after the playoffs, players return home. They can also decline to play.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, I meant after the playoffs, players return home. They can also decline to play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

The Dodgers draft Aaron Nola from the Phillies, just for the playoffs. He tears his UCL and needs Tommy John because the Dodgers leaned on him too hard in the World Series. What do the Phillies get?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Nothing sets off the flavor of beef like some ketchup.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you figure? When the players revert to their old teams the next season?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
I've never seen white beef before.

I've seen white tofu before though. Saw it in a magazine once.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OK.

The Dodgers draft Aaron Nola from the Phillies, just for the playoffs. He tears his UCL and needs Tommy John because the Dodgers leaned on him too hard in the World Series. What do the Phillies get?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

Full value for what he would be paid the next season plus 50% sounds good to be applied against your payroll for the following year, including if it sets the Luxury Tax in motion.

Better make sure you really really really want to take the risk of busting someone else's toy.

I'd rather just not have trades period after Opening Day. Run What You Brung between April and October and hope your farm system will be good enough to fill in the injury gaps as needed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Full value for what he would be paid the next season plus 50% sounds good to be applied against your payroll for the following year, including if it sets the Luxury Tax in motion.

Better make sure you really really really want to take the risk of busting someone else's toy.

I'd rather just not have trades period after Opening Day. Run What You Brung between April and October and hope your farm system will be good enough to fill in the injury gaps as needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

Nola is in his first year of arbitration. He was also a Cy Young candidate last year and is a huge part of the Phillies rebuild. His salary is basically lunch money for any ball club but losing him would set the Phillies rebuild back 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Damn, sounds like they're ready to throw some cash at a pennant.
View Quote
They said they were willing to spend "stupid money" this offseason. I had read an article that financially, they could afford to sign both Machado and Harper. Even though its highly unlikely they could/would do so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Jaime Garcia to retire.

He was injured a lot, but when he was healthy he could be excellent. Injuries must have caught up with him. Too bad, still a young guy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
The so called Luxury Tax in MLB is a fucking joke. The Yanks, Sawx , Cubs, Dodgers whoever take your pick, could right now sign Machado and Harper, trade for Trout, and would be penalized like 5-10MM. Big deal.

The next CBA meeting is in 2021. Somethings gotta change.

I dont want a strike but I think we're closer now than weve been since the last. Again strike is really bad for baseball and I dont want it, but I fear its gonna be inevitable in 3 years time.

Baseball needs a more fair revenue share IMO to help save it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm thinking the Luxury Tax and the Cheapskate Tax be something like 150% of the difference between the league payroll average and the actual team payroll.

Let's say the league average is 100m. This is the Tiger's payroll.

The Red Sox tighten up their belt and come in with a paltry 250m for next year. So the difference between the average and their payroll is 150m. Times 1.5 means their tax alone is 225m. So their total is 375m for payroll.

At the other end of the scale let's say the Rays spend a whopping 66m on payroll. So they are 34m under the average. They get taxed 51m for being cheapskates. Their total payroll is 117m.

Something like that.
Page / 224
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top