Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/wg2kzg/pft_per_source_roger_goodell_will_not_personally/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
MVS doing what he does in camp I guess. No video.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He won a Super Bowl, won Super Bowl MVP, has career earnings of $165M, and he's in his late 30s.  He must REALLY hate his family to still be doing this.  It's one thing to be pushing 40 and have a legit shot at making a playoff run as a starter, but he's a BACKUP on the JETS.

And, yeah, he's probably clearing about $2M this season and, while that does sound like hitting the lotto to us, to a guy with career earnings of $165M that is relatively insignificant.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot Flacco was still in the league.

He won a Super Bowl, won Super Bowl MVP, has career earnings of $165M, and he's in his late 30s.  He must REALLY hate his family to still be doing this.  It's one thing to be pushing 40 and have a legit shot at making a playoff run as a starter, but he's a BACKUP on the JETS.

And, yeah, he's probably clearing about $2M this season and, while that does sound like hitting the lotto to us, to a guy with career earnings of $165M that is relatively insignificant.  

It is hard to let go and backup QB is one of the best jobs in sports.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I forgot Flacco was still in the league.

For 99.9999999999999999% of people, yeah.

For a married man in his late 30s with 5 young kids that already won a Super Bowl, won Super Bowl MVP, has careering earnings of $165M, and is a backup on one of the two worst teams in the NFL... maybe not so much.  Unless of course he, as previously hypothesized, REALLY hates his family.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's basically the difference between him being a $23M+ APY guy that he could be and the $10M APY guy that he is.

Defenses still have to account for him, though. $10M isn't a bad deal for a guy that can snag a few home run balls and that will create opportunities for Kelce, JuJu, and Skyy Moore.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's basically the difference between him being a $23M+ APY guy that he could be and the $10M APY guy that he is.

Defenses still have to account for him, though. $10M isn't a bad deal for a guy that can snag a few home run balls and that will create opportunities for Kelce, JuJu, and Skyy Moore.
View Quote
He is an exciting guy to watch, that's for sure. He can take the top off a defense but it's either pure excitement or pure heartbreak when it's going to him. I wonder if the Chiefs will use him similarly?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Von Miller briefly mentioned the TP in camp was not good.

billsmafia stepped up and sent in many rolls of alternatives

Sounds like he's loving buffalo and vice versa.

Could be the mvp of this off-season in spite of the flashier deals.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He is an exciting guy to watch, that's for sure. He can take the top off a defense but it's either pure excitement or pure heartbreak when it's going to him. I wonder if the Chiefs will use him similarly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... yeah. It's a big part of what he brings to the table.

From what I understand, he's also a pretty good blocker, so I expect that to be a big role for him here.

2022 should be a really big shift for the KC offense, and I'm excited to see what that looks like. The receiving group is not only deeper, but it's also physically bigger. The offense is going to have capabilities it hasn't really had, and the scheme should change quite a bit accordingly.

The RT position is the one red flag that could ruin the whole party.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]

"Harvey has close ties to the league, however. He serves on the NFL’s diversity advisory committee and he was part of the advisory committee that worked with the league ahead of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott‘s six-game suspension in 2017. Harvey also served as the arbitrator for former Washington General Manager Scot McCloughan’s grievance against the team. Harvey ruled in favor of the team.

Harvey is currently a partner at Patterson Belknapp and his bio at the firm’s website notes his work to strengthen New Jersey’s sexual assault response while he was the state’s Attorney General.

The ties to the NFL and his previous work as a prosecutor could be signs that Harvey will be amenable to the league’s desire to see Watson suspended for more than six games once he issues his ruling on the matter."
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That would be a disaster if he tried to relitigate the case.  He's already got one judge that didn't buy anything he was selling.  

As I understand it, if the NFL appeal, which is the NFL appealing the punishment to itself, results in indefinite suspension or whatever and Watson and the NFLPA take that to court, they will argue that the NFL is unfair and making it up as they go along.  

Which is kind of true,
but how was the NFL supposed to forsee exactly this kind of behavior and put that in the Personal Conduct Policy?  Unless Watson could show that the NFL has deviated from the agreed upon terms of the CBA, he's done, and the NFL has already won this argument in the Brady and Zeke cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AND like I also talked about before... Looks like Watson will have a chance to hold the suspension up with appeals. Which in the end would end the exact same way it did for Brady... Serving the suspension.

BUT, it would allow him to play in 2022, which alone would be a black eye for the NFL.

But by putting it to a real court, that means a discovery process that we'll see info from. Despite Deshaun insisting he's innocent, the chances of that being true are pretty slim IMO. Not that he's winning much of a PR battle currently, but it'd probably get a lot worse...

That would be a disaster if he tried to relitigate the case.  He's already got one judge that didn't buy anything he was selling.  

As I understand it, if the NFL appeal, which is the NFL appealing the punishment to itself, results in indefinite suspension or whatever and Watson and the NFLPA take that to court, they will argue that the NFL is unfair and making it up as they go along.  

Which is kind of true,
but how was the NFL supposed to forsee exactly this kind of behavior and put that in the Personal Conduct Policy?  Unless Watson could show that the NFL has deviated from the agreed upon terms of the CBA, he's done, and the NFL has already won this argument in the Brady and Zeke cases.

Not really, their policy specifies the appeal process so they're not making it up. And as pointed out it also specifies that this punishment doesn't have to be based on past punishment, so even in that regard they should be good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were a thing in games...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well... yeah. It's a big part of what he brings to the table.

From what I understand, he's also a pretty good blocker, so I expect that to be a big role for him here.

2022 should be a really big shift for the KC offense, and I'm excited to see what that looks like. The receiving group is not only deeper, but it's also physically bigger. The offense is going to have capabilities it hasn't really had, and the scheme should change quite a bit accordingly.

The RT position is the one red flag that could ruin the whole party.
View Quote

As a Bengals fan, having a good line is the only thing stopping their offense. I am hopeful they have addressed the issues, and they will be healthy. They brought in some decent free agents, and drafted some good looking prospects. I look forward to seeing how good they can be if Burrow gets time to throw. Good luck on the RT situation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B-b-b-but the Chiefs will get the same production out of MVS and Juju as they got from Tyreek!  Surely defenses will give them the same level of attention!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

B-b-b-but the Chiefs will get the same production out of MVS and Juju as they got from Tyreek!  Surely defenses will give them the same level of attention!  
View Quote

We will find out soon. The offense is going to be different because they no longer have the fastest guy in the league. If  defenses don’t have to cover the top KC fans might not like the new version of their offense.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We will find out soon. The offense is going to be different because they no longer have the fastest guy in the league. If  defenses don’t have to cover the top KC fans might not like the new version of their offense.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Bengals offense had to do wind sprints at end of camp today. Joe Burrow (back from his appendicitis surgery) joined them... In a cart. Twitter Video
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

He needs to make a comment about sex toys. The Bills Mafia definitely can help him out with that too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't remember if we covered this one, we covered a lot of ways the 2021 Vikings were historically bad. So we may have done this one.

Since the 2000 NFL season there are 686 team's worth of single season data. As far as total points surrendered in the final 2 minutes of the 1st half and of the game, the 2021 Vikings ranked 686th. They were the worst 2 minute defense, of any team, in nearly a quarter of a century.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bengals offense had to do wind sprints at end of camp today. Joe Burrow (back from his appendicitis surgery) joined them... In a cart. Twitter Video
View Quote

I hope he gets on the field soon. Appendectomy is not so invasive with new procedures.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was another one earlier of him getting burned deep by another receiver. Having a rough day vs the go routes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He needs to make a comment about sex toys. The Bills Mafia definitely can help him out with that too.
View Quote

Those are exclusive for the pats...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Me yesterday:  “It’s been 6 fucking months, I can’t wait for the hall of fame game.  I’m going to watch the whole thing!!!”

Me after 2 drives:  “Oh yeah, this sucks.”
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Me yesterday:  “It’s been 6 fucking months, I can’t wait for the hall of fame game.  I’m going to watch the whole thing!!!”

Me after 2 drives:  “Oh yeah, this sucks.”
View Quote

Yeah, I haven't gone out of my way to watch a preseason game since 2016.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if this were remotely true it’d be hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta love those analytics guys
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Just looking at this picture makes me sleepy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#36]

More low-energy than a biden voter
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why the hate?

They’re all happy looking, despite the weather delay and they’re making lots of money!

Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why the hate?

They’re all happy looking, despite the weather delay and they’re making lots of money!

Chris
View Quote

Because I prefer not to be bored to sleep during a game...
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watson's reaction:
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MVS can blow the top off no problem, he's plenty fast himself. It's 50/50 if he'll catch it though...

Hill's acceleration and change of direction in the middle isn't something MVS can do though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

MVS can blow the top off no problem, he's plenty fast himself. It's 50/50 if he'll catch it though...

Hill's acceleration and change of direction in the middle isn't something MVS can do though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's dead on.

I decided to have some fun with PFR and Excel. I compared MVS to Adams and Hill using stats for the 2018-2021 seasons.

I chose Adams and Hill because they are/were elite WRs that were on MVS's former team and new team respectively, and we're all pretty familiar with them.

I looked at catch percentage (receptions/targets) and drop percentage, then I averaged those values for the four seasons.

The numbers I got were...

MVS:

Catch percentage - 49.5%
Drop percentage - 5.8%

Adams:

Catch percentage - 70.25%
Drop percentage - 2.75%

Hill:

Catch percentage - 65.73%
Drop percentage - 3.98%

Let's start with drop percentage. Big picture, across four seasons, MVS had a drop percentage that was more than double Adams's, and that seems completely accurate. But when you actually dig in and look at the individual years, this doesn't look like a stable stat.

Here's MVS's drop percentages per season according to PFR:

2018: 6.8%
2019: 5.4%
2020: 11.1%
2021: 0.0%

Without asking questions like "what are they counting as drops," we see that 2018-2019 have normal values, 2020 has a horrific value, and 2021 has an improbably good value. But, we have ~250 targets across four season to balance it out, so... roll with it?

If we take MVS's 5.8% four year average and compare it to all receivers in 2021, it's not great, but it's lower than CeeDee Lamb, Travis Kelce, AJ Brown, and Deebo Samuel.

So, what about Catch Percentage?

When I try to compare MVS across the league here, it becomes immediately clear that this stat depends more on player usage than anything else. The top 3 players in the league who all have catch percentages above 90% are all RBs: James Conner, AJ Dillon, and Christian McCaffery. Once you scroll past the obvious check-down dudes, you get to Hunter Renfrow at 80%, Chris Godwin at 77%, and Cooper Kupp at 76%. Even here, the big picture is clear as mud. The top KC WR/TE was GoGo Gadget Hardman at 71%. No Chiefs fan would have guessed that, but it makes sense when you consider how reliant that guy is on manufactured touches.

But 50%? That's pretty bad, and most of the guys at that end of the list were in bad QB/offensive situations. The closest noteworthy players that weren't in bad situations were Tampa TE Brate (52.6%), Buffalo WR Davis (55.6%), Rams WR Jefferson (56.2%), and Dallas WR Gallup (56.5%). OBJ, Allen Robinson, Corey Davis, Chase Claypool, and James Washington are also in this neighborhood, but their surrounding offenses were obviously problematic.

So, while player usage is very relevant here, it's obvious player limitations are too.

TL;DR: I think it's completely fair to characterize MVS as a 50/50 receiver, but defenses still have to account for him. No defense is going to see him streaking down the field and say "oh well, there's only a 50/50 chance this is a TD."
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://billypenn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/giphy-7.gif
View Quote

My favorite gif…. Think I’ll be using that a lot this season.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why the hate?

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the hate?

Chris

“Happy looking” and “making lots of money.”  The standard with which all NFL analysts and broadcasters should be judged.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Diontae extended 2 years with Steelers on a contract that is win-win for both of 'em. I'm stoked.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Johnson, Claypool, Pickens

Any other team in the NFL with such a young trio of strong WRs?

Naturally QB's a question for the Steelers.  WR isnt.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top