BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now it sounds like the Eagles love Minshew and don't want to let him go unless it is a sweet deal, and no one is giving up something good for Minshew. Dude is trapped in back up land.

This year is the last year of his contract though. $2.5M

We'll see what happens next year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a suprise.  Over Gardner Minshew, Baker and Jimmy G?
Right now it sounds like the Eagles love Minshew and don't want to let him go unless it is a sweet deal, and no one is giving up something good for Minshew. Dude is trapped in back up land.

You can’t blame them. Hurts isn’t exactly a sure thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I haven't been following the draft long enough to say, but I'm guessing it's a damn long time.

Some people are saying it's because of the free Covid year developing a bunch of tackles and corners and edge rushers for an extra year, but man. There's just no QB talent available. Pickett put up okay numbers against okay competition. Other than that, there's a Memphis, or Louisville guy? NOBODY after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at the mock drafts it is fuckin' wild to see ZERO QBs going in the top 8 and only ONE going in the top 16.

The QBs really, really suck this year. And I'm absolutely not sold on Kenny Pickett. He'll probably go top 5 just because someone gets desperate every year, but damn. I've never seen a QB class this bad.

Oh, I totally understand why.  It's just crazy to actually see it.  I mean when was the last time we had ZERO QBs go in the top 8 and only ONE go in the top 16?

I haven't been following the draft long enough to say, but I'm guessing it's a damn long time.

Some people are saying it's because of the free Covid year developing a bunch of tackles and corners and edge rushers for an extra year, but man. There's just no QB talent available. Pickett put up okay numbers against okay competition. Other than that, there's a Memphis, or Louisville guy? NOBODY after that.

On the plus side, there should be only two QBs off the board by the time the Packers' first pick comes up.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I the only one that was baffled at how little interest there was in Minshew?  I'm not saying he's a top 10 franchise QB or anything, but he had a TD/INT ratio of 3.36/1 and a Passer Rating of 93.5 in hist first two seasons as the starter for the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, was set to make only $3.4M over the next two seasons, and all the Jags got for him was a 6th round pick.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last season the Eagles set an NFL record for biggest dead cap hit ($33.8M) when they traded Wentz to the Colts.

This season the Falcons set a new NFL record for biggest dead cap hit ($40.525M) when they traded Ryan to the Colts.
View Quote

Falcons now have over 30% of the cap in dead money. $136m in cap space for 2023 currently.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Emphasizing what I said above...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seattle and Atlanta are not in on Baker. Leaves Panthers and I find it unlikely they make that move after the Sam Darnold move last year.

Puts Cleveland in an interesting spot. Baker is on his 5th year option. It's $18.9M fully guaranteed. Cleveland has to pay him that full amount if they can't unload him. They have zero leverage in trying to deal him.

Is a one year rental on a 27 year old diva QB with a losing record and a career Passer Rating of 87.8 even worth a fully guaranteed $18.9M?  Never mind having to give up draft capital for the privilege.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Am I the only one that was baffled at how little interest there was in Minshew?  I'm not saying he's a top 10 franchise QB or anything, but he had a TD/INT ratio of 3.36/1 and a Passer Rating of 93.5 in hist first two seasons as the starter for the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, was set to make only $3.4M over the next two seasons, and all the Jags got for him was a 6th round pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm baffled by it. The guy is a baller. His teammates and fans love him. He is also very intelligent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm baffled by it. The guy is a baller. His teammates and the fans love him too. He is also very intelligent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm baffled by it. The guy is a baller. His teammates and the fans love him too. He is also very intelligent.

He is Baker Mayfield but not a jackass.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is a one year rental on a 27 year old diva QB with a losing record and a career Passer Rating of 87.8 even worth a fully guaranteed $18.9M?  Never mind having to give up draft capital for the privilege.
View Quote
Exactly. As I said in my other post, Baker may ride the bench to the tune of $19M guaranteed next year. Just take from Cleveland and then move on as a free agent in 2023. Could surely sign on as a back up for some moderate dollars.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

$14M a season for Crab Legs isn't horrible.
View Quote
Nope.  Hopefully he will get them by until they find another franchise guy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Any predictions for the Groot and Calamari contract predicaments the Ravens and Cardinals find themselves in?

Things already weren't looking good for them BEFORE the Browns gave up 3 firsts, 1 third, and 1 fourth just for the right to give Watson a 5 year/$230M fully guaranteed deal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the mock drafts I saw had the Saints drafting Matt Corral.  Granted, it's the worst QB draft class in decades, but being able to use the #18 pick to draft the player some consider the best QB in the draft is pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seattle and Atlanta are not in on Baker. Leaves Panthers and I find it unlikely they make that move after the Sam Darnold move last year.

Puts Cleveland in an interesting spot. Baker is on his 5th year option. It's $18.9M fully guaranteed. Cleveland has to pay him that full amount if they can't unload him. They have zero leverage in trying to deal him.

ALSO... This is the place the Panthers are with Sam Darnold, they exercised his 5th year as soon as they traded for him, now, even if they got another quarterback, is there anyone in the league who would take on Darnold's $18.9M guaranteed contract?

Baker and Darnold... Both could end up being paid $19M guaranteed to sit on the bench this year. Good for them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any predictions for the Groot and Calamari contract predicaments the Ravens and Cardinals find themselves in?

Things already weren't looking good for them BEFORE the Browns gave up 3 firsts, 1 third, and 1 fourth just for the right to give Watson a 5 year/$230M fully guaranteed deal.
View Quote

Groot will sign the first billion dollar contract. But it will only have $70 million in guarantees.

Calimari will be traded or cut when the cardinals miss the playoffs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on how his ACL recovery goes he may not be available to start the season. They might have to go a couple weeks with Hill.

I really thought Winston was going to have a bigger market this year. He looked solid until the ACL. He certainly had his lowest turnover percentage of his career in 2021.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Groot will sign the first billion dollar contract. But it will only have $70 million in guarantees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Groot acting as his own agent during contract negotiations should be a reality TV show.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ALSO... This is the place the Panthers are with Sam Darnold, they exercised his 5th year as soon as they traded for him, now, even if they got another quarterback, is there anyone in the league who would take on Darnold's $18.9M guaranteed contract?

Baker and Darnold... Both could end up being paid $19M guaranteed to sit on the bench this year. Good for them.
View Quote
Right after writing that I find this:

Well no shit Sherlock. They already have a $19M guaranteed boat anchor quarterback. Why would they want two at the same time?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well no shit Sherlock. They already have a $19M guaranteed boat anchor quarterback. Why would they want two at the same time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they can get Josh Rosen too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Is Cam Newton signed anywhere?

There might be a little football left in him.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did promise to make every team that passed on him regret it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd hold a clipboard for 2.5...
View Quote

I'll be the waterboy for 2.5 Million.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Andy Dalton is still a free agent.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
He is available. So are Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Nathan Peterman.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There might be a little football left in him.
View Quote

He's a FA.

He's about to turn 33 and last season he had a 64.4 Passer Rating and a 25.5 QBR.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He's a FA.

He's about to turn 33 and last season he had a 64.4 Passer Rating and a 25.5 QBR.
View Quote

Big oof
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Baker can ride the pine for $19 Million heal up completely from his surgery, get some help with his QB skills and enter FA having rested a full year. Not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Baker can ride the pine for $19 Million heal up completely from his surgery, get some help with his QB skills and enter FA having rested a full year. Not a bad thing.
View Quote

That's quite an optimistic outlook.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Every look is optimistic when it involves $19M guaranteed, whether you do something or not.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Every look is optimistic when it involves $19M guaranteed, whether you do something or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, true, but I was referring to the "get some help with his QB skills and enter FA having rested a full year" part.

A year from now I don't imagine teams are going to be knocking each other over to sign Baker.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Groot acting as his own agent during contract negotiations should be a reality TV show.
View Quote
I imagine it looks something like this.

The Waterboy - "And what are we having for dessert?"

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a weird announcement:

"Hey, everybody. We're talking to this dude. Just thought you should know."

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at Mayfield's career:

2018 - Rookie under Gregg Williams - 93.7 RTG 51.2 QBR
2019 - The Freddie Kitchens Year - 78.8 RTG 54.4 QBR
2020 - First year with Stefanski - 95.9 RTG 65.5 QBR
2021- Shoulder Injury year - 83.1 RTG 35.1 QBR

So far, Mayfield has had only one season where he had a competent coach and was healthy. I think a 60+ QBR season should be repeatable for him. When the big boys are getting $40M+ APY, $19M for a guy like Mayfield is a low risk and worthwhile investment if nothing better is available to you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Good number for a backup.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#33]
The Brisket will be playing for Watson as Mayfield collects his money.

Edit: Between the 3, around $70M in cash and $34M against the cap.
Double Edit: Watson will account for $55M against the cap every other year (23-26).
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Double Edit: Watson will account for $55M against the cap every other year (23-26).
View Quote

The Browns currently have the following:

- A QB with $4.5M guaranteed in 2022.

- A QB with $18M guaranteed in 2022.

- A QB they just signed to a 5 year/$230M fully guaranteed contract.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Strange...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone looked at Brissett as a huge WTF pick by Belichik, but the dude has at least proven to be a versatile backup-he's on what his forth team?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Everyone looked at Brissett as a huge WTF pick by Belichik, but the dude has at least proven to be a versatile backup-he's on what his forth team?
View Quote
4th team, 7th season, with over $40M in career earnings now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Beasley's replacement.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Brady give us another ring plz!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 year/$18.75M deal for a QB that hasn't started in ANY game since 2019?  Seems a bit on the expensive side.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

2 year/$18.75M deal for a QB that hasn't started in ANY game since 2019?  Seems a bit on the expensive side.
View Quote

I mean it’s not that bad considering Darnold is making that much this year alone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just play Rosen.

Oh wait. He ain't black.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

And, that's never played a full season in his career.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got beat out by Tannehill... He's a backup
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's also been injured, a lot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tannehill turned the Titans around when he took over. I have 0 confidence in Mariota.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top