View Quote
Is it a picture of Tua?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean... He isn't exactly saying anything that we don't already know/think... But gonna post it anyways.

View Quote

Cutting edge football analysis brought to us by Captain Obvious.

Here's the thing... In a generic draft, a team has 7 picks with one in each round, and they'll hope to hit on 2-3 starters with one of those hopefully being a pro bowl guy, and they'll hope to get 1 more ST/backup guy beyond that.

The Chiefs currently have 12 picks with 6 of those being in the top 103. I wouldn't think it's crazy to hope for 5-6 starters from that, but I'd bet there's less than a 10% chance the Chiefs go in with all those picks.

They're either going to trade for a veteran or two, or they're going to trade up, or they're going to do both. They have a well established history of both. That raises the stakes, but I think that elevates the chance of getting a good return.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tua
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOjlEa7XEAkk97H?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOjlEa4XMBAW50a?format=jpg&name=small

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tua
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tua

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/AobQDNI4K7a4U/200.gif
View Quote
This. Tua has no excuses and either performs or gets replaced.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pressure is definitely on Tua this season. They are giving him the tools and he has to perform or he's gone.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Who will be better?  Adams with Carr or Ty with Tua?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Adams is the safer bet.

Carr has a MUCH higher floor than Tua, and the fact that he's in a dome shields him from some of his weaknesses.

Adams also has a skill set that will age more gracefully than Hill's, and Adams isn't as dependent on raw speed like Hill.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If Tua shits the bed, Bridgewater will wind up starting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who the fuck is that guy?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The media always shits on the Dolphins.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Writer for The Athletic. According to his profile page he was an Eagles beat writer and previously covered the Seahawks for ESPN.

/shrug
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]

RoJo was solid with his limited carries behind Fournette. The only problem being his fumble fingers. If he could get his drops under control, he is an above average rotation back and should come at a low price tag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think he's wrong?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you think he's wrong?
View Quote
I would give the Chiefs at least a B+. They lose a valuable skill position player, but he did have issues (drops/tips) and was demanding an unreasonable price tag. So cashing in with 5 picks is a win.

The Dolphins could have a B for fan excitement but a D or lower for resources/value.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you think he's wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think he's wrong?
Yes. Dolphins basically gave up 2 seconds and some change for him. Kept both their 1st round picks next year and WR was a huge need.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://c.tenor.com/mYRiChw7OXMAAAAM/wtf-david.gif
View Quote
Didn't see that one coming.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes. Dolphins basically gave up 2 seconds and some change for him. Kept both their 1st round picks next year and WR was a huge need.
View Quote
First time I've heard a 1st, 2nd, two 4ths, a 6th and $25-30MPY as "2 seconds and some change"
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Didn't see that one coming.
View Quote
This is so fucked on multiple levels.

1: How he left, the Super Bowl, all that shit.
2: How he stepped away from football this year for "personal issues"
3: His age combined with not playing a snap in more than a year

Are we going to finally find out what the Super Bowl was all about?

Edit: Let go of so many veterans, let Jackson go for fucking nothing, supposedly going younger and faster on defense... Bring back Butler...
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Talk about making a career off of one play.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First time I've heard a 1st, 2nd, two 4ths, a 6th and $25-30MPY as "2 seconds and some change"
View Quote
29th pick is almost a 2nd.  Don't care about the 6th or the 4ths really. 29 was probably going to be a WR if there were any left.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but what a play.

I saw something about him going up there yesterday, and they acknowledged he was getting old, but they have some big holes in the D and he should pick up any new schemes easily in that team.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
29 was probably going to be a WR if there were any left.
View Quote
The kid from Ohio State could POTENTIALLY still be there, and would be a must grab for anyone in need at that draft position. There's probably only 4-5 guys that could be 1st round/early 2nd. BUT there are potentially a LOT of receivers in the late 2nd thru 3rd round (10+ guys).
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Tyreek Hill's last reception as a Chief:

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always believed championship teams are built through the draft and not free agency, although there have been exceptions.  I like the trade of Hill as a Chiefs fan the money was too much and the trade offer was too good not to take.  

I felt like he only had another year or two at that elite game changing level.  Chiefs also are too top heavy on the roster as having a few of the greatest players in the league, but roster depth isn't good.  Adding this many draft picks for one player along with the number of starters they got in the draft last year gives them a real opportunity to build a better team.  

The only question is... why this over the Jets offer?  The Jets have a much higher first round pick so a 1 and 2 from the Jets vs a 1, 2, 4, 4, and 6 from the Dolphins.  The Dolphins offer is probably better on paper and the Chiefs do like to move around on draft day when they see someone they like so the additional picks have value there, but a top 10 pick in the first plus a high second sounds pretty good too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Adams is the safer bet.

Carr has a MUCH higher floor than Tua, and the fact that he's in a dome shields him from some of his weaknesses.

Adams also has a skill set that will age more gracefully than Hill's, and Adams isn't as dependent on raw speed like Hill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adams is the safer bet.

Speed is weird. Some guys lose it, some guys keep it. DJax for example. He of course declined, but the dude was still fast as fuck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've always believed championship teams are built through the draft and not free agency
View Quote

Tell it to the Rams.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The only question is... why this over the Jets offer?
View Quote
Tyreek had control of the decision. He did not have a no-trade-clause, but, part of the trade from both teams was him accepting a contract extension. So the Chiefs could not select the Jets over Hill because he could just say no to an extension and the Jets would back out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
29th pick is almost a 2nd.  Don't care about the 6th or the 4ths really. 29 was probably going to be a WR if there were any left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one opinion.

Giving $25M APY to a speedy WR that's getting older and losing his speed is less than ideal. Coughing up 5 draft picks for the privilege is even worse.

Just for fun, here's Hill's yards per reception:

2018: 17.0
2019: 14.8
2020: 14.7
2021: 11.2

Part of that is how defenses played against him, but still, that's not a positive trend.

He's getting older, he's getting slower, and the injuries are piling up. There are also the off field concerns.

The chances of this Hill trade working out for the Dolphins are pretty low.

ETA: Also, I've been hearing a lot of positives about this year's WR draft class. That matters.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tell it to the Rams.
View Quote
Aaron Donald. Cooper Kupp. Cam Akers. Van Jefferson. Darrell Henderson. Jordan Fuller. Taylor Rapp. Greg Gaines. Sebastian Joseph-Day. Tyler Higbee. Joe Noteboom. David Edwards. Brian Allen. Rob Havenstein.

So their leading sack guy.
Leading tackle for a loss guy.
Their top two leaders in tackles.
Two of the top four wide receivers.
Their two main running backs.
Their leading tight end.
4 of their 5 starting offensive lineman.

Rams did PLENTY of work in the draft. Just not in the 1st round.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#37]
The rest of the AFC West today:

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've always believed championship teams are built through the draft and not free agency, although there have been exceptions.  I like the trade of Hill as a Chiefs fan the money was too much and the trade offer was too good not to take.  

I felt like he only had another year or two at that elite game changing level.  Chiefs also are too top heavy on the roster as having a few of the greatest players in the league, but roster depth isn't good.  Adding this many draft picks for one player along with the number of starters they got in the draft last year gives them a real opportunity to build a better team.  

The only question is... why this over the Jets offer?  The Jets have a much higher first round pick so a 1 and 2 from the Jets vs a 1, 2, 4, 4, and 6 from the Dolphins.  The Dolphins offer is probably better on paper and the Chiefs do like to move around on draft day when they see someone they like so the additional picks have value there, but a top 10 pick in the first plus a high second sounds pretty good too.
View Quote

Bingo.

That's a point I was wanting to make at some point.

For the last couple years, the Chiefs had most of their cap wrapped up in ~6 guys. When those guys get injured or don't play up to their contract, that hurts the team badly. Clark and Hitchens are big examples. Giving Hill $25M APY would have only continued this cycle.

As of right now, the Chiefs have some big holes in the roster, but they have almost $30M in cap space, and there are only 4 guys hitting the cap for over $10M this season. Combine that space with the 12 draft picks, and they are well positioned to build a much deeper roster.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's one opinion.

Giving $25M APY to a speedy WR that's getting older and losing his speed is less than ideal. Coughing up 5 draft picks for the privilege is even worse.

Part of that is how defenses played against him, but still, that's not a positive trend.

He's getting older, he's getting slower, and the injuries are piling up. There are also the off field concerns.

ETA: Also, I've been hearing a lot of positives about this year's WR draft class. That matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one opinion.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you posted, but I also think if the chiefs kept hill on a deal similar to Adams you'd be happy with him staying.

a lot of people in this thread are fans of teams that have top QB talent. I think some of you don't realize or maybe you guys have forgotten, but for teams that aren't perennial winners or that don't have a top ten QB,  it's not that easy to attract top level talent unless you overpay or make a huge trade. no one is rushing to Washington, or Jax, or Miami.

the contract hill got from the dolphins would make me cringe a little if the skins did the same, but it's not my money. at least they're trying to help their qb.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's a good pile of resources to start with.

I'm wondering if Veach take a shot at trading for one of Seattle's WRs...
View Quote

Given what they fleeced Miami for, mark me down as thinking the Chiefs came out waaaaaaay ahead on this deal.

Way ahead.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Speed is weird. Some guys lose it, some guys keep it. DJax for example. He of course declined, but the dude was still fast as fuck.
View Quote

This is true, but definitely the exception to the rule.  As a kid, I remember the Redskins' Darrell Green running 4.3s into his late 30s.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you posted, but I also think if the chiefs kept hill on a deal similar to Adams you'd be happy with him staying.

the contract hill got from the dolphins would make me cringe a little if the skins did the same, but it's not my money. at least they're trying to help their qb.
View Quote
There are always people on both sides. I believe the ones who look at the gains are typically the more rational fans.

To use Seattle as an example. The 12's had two sides. One side knew Wilson wanted out, has wanted out for multiple years, the writing was on the wall, and the chance to recoup some value and start the rebuild was a positive.

Then you have the fan-atics who are Wilson til they die and would rather the Seahawks had paid him $60MPY then trade him away.

Keeping Hill would have been fine, nothing to complain about, but getting 5 picks and freeing up $25-30MPY is better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Historically Seattle has done their 3rd year extensions right before training camps (entering the 4th year)... So you're hearing it 1st from me right here. If the Hawks camp starts, and DK has not already signed an extension, then negotiations are not going well and the Hawks are in trouble and it will result in either a franchise tag or a trade (or both).
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

a lot of people in this thread are fans of teams that have top QB talent. I think some of you don't realize or maybe you guys have forgotten, but for teams that aren't perennial winners or that don't have a top ten QB,  it's not that easy to attract top level talent unless you overpay or make a huge trade. no one is rushing to Washington, or Jax, or Miami.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one opinion.

$25M+ APY for an aging WR? NOPE.

In QB world, that's close to:

Matt Ryan: $30M
Tannehill: $29.5M
Garoppolo: $27.5M
Carr: $25.5M
Brady: $25M
Crab Legs: $14M

These are the best edge rushers in the NFL:

TJ Watt: $28M
Joey Bosa: $27M
Myles Garrett: $25M
Khalil Mack: $23.5M
Maxx Crosby: $23.5M

Tyreek Hill is being paid like a franchise QB or an elite DE with a contract he's signing at 28. I'd lose my mind if the Chiefs were on the hook for that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$25M+ APY for an aging WR? NOPE.

In QB world, that's close to:

Matt Ryan: $30M
Tannehill: $29.5M
Garoppolo: $27.5M
Carr: $25.5M
Brady: $25M
Crab Legs: $14M

These are the best edge rushers in the NFL:

TJ Watt: $28M
Joey Bosa: $27M
Myles Garrett: $25M
Khalil Mack: $23.5M
Maxx Crosby: $23.5M

Tyreek Hill is being paid like a franchise QB or an elite DE with a contract he's signing at 28. I'd lose my mind if the Chiefs were on the hook for that.
View Quote
Getting JuJu for only $2.5M guaranteed with $7.5M dependent on performance (incentives) also helped make this easier. I don't have a lot of love for JuJu, but that is a CHEAP signing for his skill set and lessens the impact of Hill's departure to a degree.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whaaaaaaa??????

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Historically Seattle has done their 3rd year extensions right before training camps (entering the 4th year)... So you're hearing it 1st from me right here. If the Hawks camp starts, and DK has not already signed an extension, then negotiations are not going well and the Hawks are in trouble and it will result in either a franchise tag or a trade (or both).
View Quote

I think the Seahawks should trade DK Metcalf. They are in full rebuild mode for the foreseeable future and, based on the insanity that's happened with WR contracts lately, it's going to take over $30M a season to keep him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whaaaaaaa??????

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

Still shouldn't have let Jackson WALK Ben. Should have tagged and unloaded. You absolutely could have done better than a 3rd round compensatory pick...

Anyways... There you have it. I imagine the Pats are going to be playing a lottttttt of Cover 2 this year. Especially looking at the quarterback line up in the AFC now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There are always people on both sides. I believe the ones who look at the gains are typically the more rational fans.

To use Seattle as an example. The 12's had two sides. One side knew Wilson wanted out, has wanted out for multiple years, the writing was on the wall, and the chance to recoup some value and start the rebuild was a positive.

Then you have the fan-atics who are Wilson til they die and would rather the Seahawks had paid him $60MPY then trade him away.

Keeping Hill would have been fine, nothing to complain about, but getting 5 picks and freeing up $25-30MPY is better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There always has to be winners and losers in these trades. Chiefs won some good draft capital, saved a lot of money on one guy but lost one of their best offensive weapons. Dolphins spent quite a few picks and a lot of money to acquire and older receiver, but Hill is probably the best offensive weapon in Miami right now.

There is def some positives and negatives on both sides.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top