Quoted:
View Quote

I won’t hold my breath.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Like bass said, I know the questions Dan Patrick asked watt were pretty rough, but any other player on a franchise QB’s team wouldn’t hesitate a second to answer that. You think Kelce or Mixon or Ekeler wouldn’t be able to shut down that line of questioning in one second?

AZ may be in for some huge trouble.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]

From Wiki, coaching history:
Iowa 61-62
Dayton 65-68
Wake Forest 69
Georgia Tech 70-71
Minnesota 72-73
New York Stars 74
Minnesota 75-76
Steelers 77-82
Vikings 90-93
Lions 94-96
Saints 97
Colts 98-10
Jets 11
Titans 12
Cardinals 13-17
Bucs 19-present
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Like bass said, I know the questions Dan Patrick asked watt were pretty rough, but any other player on a franchise QB’s team wouldn’t hesitate a second to answer that. You think Kelce or Mixon or Ekeler wouldn’t be able to shut down that line of questioning in one second?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they have no one to blame but themselves.  When you feel the need to include a study clause in the contract for your supposed franchise QB its obvious you have serious doubts about him.  And yet the Cardinals gave him a 5 year/$230M/$190M contract anyway.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

No longer exclusive to SNF, looks like eventually will be in place for all primetime games.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And they have no one to blame but themselves.  When you feel the need to include a study clause in the contract for your supposed franchise QB its obvious you have serious doubts about him.  And yet the Cardinals gave him a 5 year/$230M/$190M contract anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They gave big contracts to their GM, HC, and QB, all who were not particularly good.

Keim and Kingsbury are already out despite fresh extensions. Their salaries don't count against the salary cap, but it still hits the franchise/owner cash flow.

The Murray contract uses the rolling guarantee structure. Basically, his 2024 salary is guaranteed, and every spring, the salary for the following season becomes guaranteed. In March '24, his '25 salary locks in, in '25, his '26 salary locks in, etc.

I think they can eject, but it's going to hurt.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://y.yarn.co/ed1ec0b6-5d73-40e2-a149-0900336cadce_text.gif

Eh...

TNF is bad enough as is when teams have months to prepare for it.

Being flexed into TNF? That sounds like a disaster.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No longer exclusive to SNF, looks like eventually will be in place for all primetime games.
View Quote

Split prime time games evenly!!!!
I can't stay up watching games 3 nights a week and be productive at 04:00 the next morning. One night is bad enough.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Eh...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://y.yarn.co/ed1ec0b6-5d73-40e2-a149-0900336cadce_text.gif

Eh...

They should flex the least relevant games on to Thursday.  It should be a punishment for the worst records.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Almost impossible unfortunately. The way they structured the rolling guarantees to lock in the year before it becomes due (edit: 18 months before technically) has pretty much fucked them. It doesn't show it in the deadcap columns on Spotrac/OTC, since they haven't technically kicked in yet, but they have to be accounted for.

For example, Spotrac shows that Kyler's 2025 deadcap is only $33.2M and it looks like a possible out with just a bit of a black eye. However, that deadcap does not include the $18M 2025 salary and the $11.9M 2025 roster bonus that become guaranteed in March of 2024. That is the huge kick in the nuts, and it repeats for 3 seasons until the full guarantees are completed.

Here is my math, which I am 90% sure is correct (if it isn't it is still close), which shows what the deadcap will be, at certain times and when it jumps up (what Spotrac/OTC currently doesn't show until it happens):

At the end of the 2023 season (Feb 2024), Murray's deadcap will be $81.5M.
At the beginning of the 2024 league year (Mar 2024), 1 month later, the deadcap will jump to $111.4M.

At the end of the 2024 season (Feb 2025), Murray's deadcap will be $63.1M
At the beginning of the 2025 league year (Mar 2025), 1 month later, the deadcap will jump to $102.9M.

At the end of the 2025 season (Feb 2026), Murray's deadcap will be $60.0M
At the beginning of the 2026 league year (Mar 2026), 1 month later, the deadcap will jump to $79.5M.

At the end of the 2026 season (Feb 2027), Murray's deadcap will be $26.7M
They will have aprox 5 weeks to release him before an un-guaranteed roster bonus is due bumping it back up to $40.9M.

At the end of the 2027 season (Feb 2028), Murray's deadcap will be $0.0M
They will have aprox 5 weeks to release him before an unguaranteed roster bonus is due bumping it back up to $10.5M.

Edit (and double edited): So effectively, the earliest POSSIBLY acceptable out, would be right after the 2024 season (2 full seasons from now), and it would cost them a $63M deadcap. AND they will have 1 month to make that decision, having to do it before mid-March when it jumps back to over $100M. If that number is un-acceptable, then 4 seasons from now (right after the 2026 season) they could drop him for the much more affordable hit of $26.7M.

Double Edit: None of this math includes the $1.5M max possible annual incentives which could swing it up a little bit more, but are unlikely to be earned.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Almost impossible unfortunately. The way they structured the rolling guarantees to lock in the year before it becomes due (edit: 18 months before technically) has pretty much fucked them. It doesn't show it in the deadcap columns on Spotrac/OTC, since they haven't technically kicked in yet, but they have to be accounted for.

For example, Spotrac shows that Kyler's 2025 deadcap is only $33.2M and it looks like a possible out with just a bit of a black eye. However, that deadcap does not include the $18M 2025 salary and the $11.9M 2025 roster bonus that become guaranteed in March of 2024. That is the huge kick in the nuts, and it repeats for 3 seasons until the full guarantees are completed.

Here is my math, which I am 90% sure is correct (if it isn't it is still close), which shows what the deadcap will be, at certain times and when it jumps up (what Spotrac/OTC currently doesn't show until it happens):

At the beginning of the 2024 league year (Mar 2024), 1 month later, the deadcap will jump to $111.4M.

At the beginning of the 2025 league year (Mar 2025), 1 month later, the deadcap will jump to $102.9M.

At the beginning of the 2026 league year (Mar 2026), 1 month later, the deadcap will jump to $79.5M.

They will have aprox 5 weeks to release him before an un-guaranteed roster bonus is due bumping it back up to $40.9M.

They will have aprox 5 weeks to release him before an unguaranteed roster bonus is due bumping it back up to $10.5M.

Edit: So effectively, the earliest POSSIBLY acceptable out, would be right after the 2025 season (3 full seasons from now), and it would cost them a $60M deadcap. If that number is un-acceptable, then 4 seasons from now (right after the 2026 season) they could drop him for the much more affordable hit of $26.7M.

Double Edit: None of this math includes the $1.5M max possible annual incentives which could swing it up a little bit more, but are unlikely to be earned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: So effectively, the earliest POSSIBLY acceptable out, would be right after the 2025 season (3 full seasons from now), and it would cost them a $60M deadcap. If that number is un-acceptable, then 4 seasons from now (right after the 2026 season) they could drop him for the much more affordable hit of $26.7M.

Its amazing how teams drag the pain down the line with nothing to show for it even short term. All for the sake of "well nothing better out there".
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would say 2024 season is the out. There's little difference in eating $63m then or waiting another year to eat only $60m.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would say 2024 season is the out. There's little difference in eating $63m then or waiting another year to eat only $60m.
View Quote
I edited that in a minute before you posted, unfortunately not quite quick enough to beat your posting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I edited that in a minute before you posted, unfortunately not quite quick enough to beat your posting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
For reference, there have only ever been TWO deadcap hits of more than $25M in NFL history.

Carson Wentz, $33.8M after the Eagles traded him to the Colts
Matt Ryan, $40.5M after the Falcons traded him to the Colts

Also worth noting, NONE of the top 10 largest deadcap hits in NFL history were RELEASES. They were all hits taken during a trade. So those teams all recouped some cost in picks at least.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For reference, there have only ever been TWO deadcap hits of more than $25M in NFL history.

Carson Wentz, $33.8M after the Eagles traded him to the Colts
Matt Ryan, $40.5M after the Falcons traded him to the Colts

Also worth noting, NONE of the top 10 largest deadcap hits in NFL history were RELEASES. They were all hits taken during a trade. So those teams all recouped some cost in picks at least.
View Quote

The Falcons had a dead cap hit of $77.54M this season. With a growing salary cap $60M isn't that big of a deal if you want to blow it all up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Falcons had a dead cap hit of $77.54M this season. With a growing salary cap $60M isn't that big of a deal if you want to blow it all up.
View Quote
The Cardinals were the second OLDEST team in the NFL this year, behind only Tom Brady *cough* I mean the Buccaneers. So if they do end up taking that route, part of it will HAVE to be developing a lot of young draft talent over the next two seasons. If you're going to eat 25-30% of the salary cap on 1 player, you have to make sure you have a lot of starters on their rookie deals still.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Via Morning Consult, survey of over 2,000 US adults who identified as NFL fans, the greatest quarterback of all time:
Tom Brady - 43%
Joe Montana - 11%
Peyton Manning - 7%
Pat Mahomes - 4%
Terry Bradshaw - 3%
Joe Namath - 3%
Dan Marino - 2%
John Elway - 2%
Brett Favre - 2%
Troy Aikman - 2%
Roger Staubach - 2%
Johnny Unitas - 2%

So over 50% of NFL fans are morons with further declining percentages graduating higher and higher up to idiots, fuck-wits, dip-shits and so on up to simpleton mouth breathers... Got it.

Edit: I should probably consider it lucky that we managed to break 50% with Brady and Montana.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Via Morning Consult, survey of over 2,000 US adults who identified as NFL fans, the greatest quarterback of all time:
Tom Brady - 43%
Joe Montana - 11%
Peyton Manning - 7%
Pat Mahomes - 4%
Terry Bradshaw - 3%
Joe Namath - 3%
Dan Marino - 2%
John Elway - 2%
Brett Favre - 2%
Troy Aikman - 2%
Roger Staubach - 2%
Johnny Unitas - 2%

So over 50% of NFL fans are morons with further declining percentages graduating higher and higher up to idiots, fuck-wits, dip-shits and so on up to simpleton mouth breathers... Got it.

Edit: I should probably consider it lucky that we managed to break 50% with Brady and Montana.
View Quote

You mean 98% are idiots.
There's a haircut you set your watch to
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tom Brady - 43%
Joe Montana - 11%
Peyton Manning - 7%
Pat Mahomes - 4%
Terry Bradshaw - 3%
Joe Namath - 3%
Dan Marino - 2%
John Elway - 2%
Brett Favre - 2%
Troy Aikman - 2%
Roger Staubach - 2%
Johnny Unitas - 2%

View Quote

Most "NFL fans" are incapable of being objective.  They get asked "who is the greatest QB of all time" and they hear it as "who is your favorite QB."

Also, most fans are idiots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Most "NFL fans" are incapable of being objective.  They get asked "who is the greatest QB of all time" and they hear it as "who is your favorite QB."

View Quote
No Rodgers on the list was interesting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people that fanboy over his "greatness" are Packers fans and, IME, Packers fans seem to like Favre more.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tom Brady - 43%
Joe Montana - 11%
Peyton Manning - 7%
Pat Mahomes - 4%
Terry Bradshaw - 3%
Joe Namath - 3%
Dan Marino - 2%
John Elway - 2%
Brett Favre - 2%
Troy Aikman - 2%
Roger Staubach - 2%
Johnny Unitas - 2%

View Quote

OK, got it. Three percent. Ha. They're idots. K bye.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tom Brady - 43%
Joe Montana - 11%
Peyton Manning - 7%
Pat Mahomes - 4%
Terry Bradshaw - 3%
Joe Namath - 3%
Dan Marino - 2%
John Elway - 2%
Brett Favre - 2%
Troy Aikman - 2%
Roger Staubach - 2%
Johnny Unitas - 2%

View Quote
Only one on that list called his own plays!

The original TB12.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Cardinals were the second OLDEST team in the NFL this year, behind only Tom Brady *cough* I mean the Buccaneers. So if they do end up taking that route, part of it will HAVE to be developing a lot of young draft talent over the next two seasons. If you're going to eat 25-30% of the salary cap on 1 player, you have to make sure you have a lot of starters on their rookie deals still.
View Quote

They are currently a four win team. How much talent do they really have?
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tom Brady - 43%
Joe Montana - 11%
Peyton Manning - 7%
Pat Mahomes - 4%
Terry Bradshaw - 3%
Joe Namath - 3%
Dan Marino - 2%
John Elway - 2%
Brett Favre - 2%
Troy Aikman - 2%
Roger Staubach - 2%
Johnny Unitas - 2%

View Quote
Marino doesn't get the respect he deserves because he never won a Superbowl. The Dolphins failed him by never having a decent D.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
NFL and DAZN sign deal for the worldwide (excluding China) streaming rights to NFL Game Pass International. The 10 year deal is reportedly worth $1B or $100M per season.

DAZN has distributed NFL Game Pass in Canada since 2017 and has been the league's broadcast partner in Germany and Japan since 2016 as well as Italy since 2018.

Football fans outside the U.S. can watch every league regular season and postseason game on NFL Game Pass International, including the Super Bowl. Available on Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and gaming consoles. It also includes NFL Network, NFL RedZone and NFL Films programming.

I wonder how much it costs. It says price varies by country. If there is a cheap country, then wouldn't combining an NFL Game Pass International subscription with a VPN set to said country be the cheapest option to watch whatever game you want all season long? No black outs?... Not a bad idea to look into.
View Quote

Well I already have the VPN, I might as well look into it.

The quality of streams from a paid NBC/Peacock & CBS/Paramount+ account were shittier than the illegal streams... thanks for the reminder to cancel my Paramount+ sub.

Amazon was great, but limited for games.

I had to use my PC to stream Fox games to my TV, which isn't that big of deal since I have a little Intel NUC on my entertainment center (it's my Plex server), but more annoying than pointing a remote.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The quality of streams from a paid NBC/Peacock & CBS/Paramount+ account were shittier than the illegal streams... thanks for the reminder to cancel my Paramount+ sub.

I had to use my PC to stream Fox games to my TV, which isn't that big of deal since I have a little Intel NUC on my entertainment center (it's my Plex server), but more annoying than pointing a remote.
View Quote

Who is your ISP? I’ve had the complete opposite experience on starlink. Paramount and peacock were vastly superior to Amazon for me.

DirectTVs streaming service actually worked the best of anyone’s but I wouldn’t pay their prices.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

the only people surprised by any of this are people who dont know his dad's reputation or the train wreck of kyler's recruitment to a&m and his year there.

and as a loyal Ag who also saw kyler play in high school, i dont say any of that lightly.

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outside of Murray, their list of top cap hit guys is pretty brutal.

$31M Hopkins (30)
$18M Humphries (LT)(29)
$17M Budda Baker (26)
$13M Hollywood Brown (25)
$13M Zach Ertz (32)
$12M Robbie Anderson (29)
$10M James Conner (27)

The only guy on this list they can easily eject this offseason is Robbie Anderson.

I think the only guys on that list with production and positional value that matches the price tag are Brown and maybe Humphries. Baker if you stretch it.

I like their HC finalists (Kafka and Anurumo), but if I were in either of those guys shoes, I would need some good reassurances and contract language to protect me from Murray and the rebuild.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Russ is quickly winning over Denver:

lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

I've been saying that dude was full of shit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Who is your ISP? I’ve had the complete opposite experience on starlink. Paramount and peacock were vastly superior to Amazon for me.

DirectTVs streaming service actually worked the best of anyone’s but I wouldn’t pay their prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spectrum
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

In a new development, we learn Sean Payton is moonlighting for USA Today.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

"Broncos country, lets hide!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#42]
As best as I can, tell, the player with the longest time. Between Super Bowls has Tom Brady. His first Super Bowl was in 2001 and his last Super Bowl was 19 years later in 2020.

And other notable player was Junior Seau who played in the 1994 Super Bowl and then again in 2007 with the patriots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As best as I can, tell, the player with the longest time. Between Super Bowls has Tom Brady. His first Super Bowl was in 2001 and his last Super Bowl was 19 years later in 2020.

And other notable player was Junior Seau who played in the 1994 Super Bowl and then again in 2007 with the patriots.
View Quote

Rich Eisen was talking about how basically every superbowl stat either has Tom Brady 1st, or Tom Brady 2nd.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

They should report on the Salvation Army. I think about 6 cents out of every dollar they take in goes to charity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They should report on the Salvation Army. I think about 6 cents out of every dollar they take in goes to charity.
View Quote

I'd love to crap on the Salvation Army but they're in the low 80's iirc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Rich Eisen was talking about how basically every superbowl quarterback stat either has Tom Brady 1st, or Tom Brady 2nd.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote

I wonder if they bought his ridiculous truck for him.

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/09/14/brady_may_have_given_to_charity_but_did_he_need_to_take_from_it/
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rich Eisen was talking about how basically every superbowl quarterback stat either has Tom Brady 1st, or Tom Brady 2nd.
Fixed.

YOU ARE TECHNICALLY CORRECT.

The best kind of correct.

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'd love to crap on the Salvation Army but they're in the low 80's iirc.
View Quote

Yep. But the Red Cross is horrible, and IIRC the United Way is the worst. Like 91 cents for every dollar goes to administration costs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Russell Wilson's Why Not You Foundation released a statement defending its practices.

"Since founding the Why Not You Foundation in 2014, we've been blessed and fortunate to partner with incredible organizations to maximize our impact. We've successfully partnered to deliver over $13,000,000 benefiting education, pediatric cancer research and hunger prevention. One of the most rewarding parts over the years is seeing the smiling faces of the children and families we meet as they overcome life's obstacles."

"While the foundation raises funds and provides grants and gifts, our partnerships have allowed for more direct delivery and impact. Our dynamic partnerships allow for Russell and Ciara to give their time, passion, and ideas and raise awareness for causes in intimate and hands-on settings and events."

Worth pointing out that Russ won Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2020...

USA Today quoted an expert saying such a statement is "marketing fluff" to rationalize that less than half of the $7.5 million the foundation reported it raised in its first eight years through 2021 had gone directly to charity.

USA Today reported that of that money, $2.8 million, or 39.6 cents of every dollar spent, "has gone to charitable activities, all as grants to other nonprofits." The remaining $4.2 million "has paid for fundraising, administrative and management expenses, including the salaries of three employees, who have received $1.9 million combined."

USA Today further reported that in 2020, "three of its employees were paid $441,000 combined" and quoted Andrew Morton, a nonprofit oversight attorney, as saying that if the foundation is challenged "there is 'high probability' the IRS could conclude the salaries constitute excess benefit transactions and levy substantial penalties."

Morton also called the salaries "startling" for a nonprofit whose expenses are in the $1 million-$5 million range annually.

One of the notes in the report was that Ryan Tarpley was hired at a $209k salary and reported to work 40 hours a week for the foundation, but he is simultaneously working directly for Ciara and Wilson in the "Wilson Family Office" which raises the question of whether Wilson's non-profit charity is being used to directly pay for his own personal employee.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top