BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't follow college ball much, so I don't really get into the draft conversation until after the playoffs.

There are only four QBs projected to go in the first round this year. Of those, the consensus top pick is this guy:

https://www.gifcen.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/yikes-gif-3.gif

CJ Stroud and Will Levis are both looking like top-5 picks with Stroud having been there the whole time and Levis trending up there through the season.

Interestingly, I haven't seen these two discussed as much nationally as I have Bryce Young or the consensus #4 guy, Anthony Richardson.

The boom or bust factor on Richardson is off the charts. Nobody gives him a shot at being average. He's either going to be awesome or awful.

I'm just getting into this stuff, but this seems like a really good year to not need a new franchise QB.
View Quote

"Only four"?  That would be four times more than last draft and that one QB was taken at #20.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't follow college ball much, so I don't really get into the draft conversation until after the playoffs.

There are only four QBs projected to go in the first round this year. Of those, the consensus top pick is this guy:

CJ Stroud and Will Levis are both looking like top-5 picks with Stroud having been there the whole time and Levis trending up there through the season.

Interestingly, I haven't seen these two discussed as much nationally as I have Bryce Young or the consensus #4 guy, Anthony Richardson.

The boom or bust factor on Richardson is off the charts. Nobody gives him a shot at being average. He's either going to be awesome or awful.

I'm just getting into this stuff, but this seems like a really good year to not need a new franchise QB.
View Quote

I don’t understand the Levis love. He showed nothing at Penn State, couldn’t beat out Clifford and the little I saw of him at Kentucky he looked legitimately terrible against good teams.

At least Young is talented even if small.

ETA, Calamari was first overall and he is the size of my left leg.

I just looked him up. He was claimed 195 pounds in college at 5’ 10”.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don’t understand the Levis love. He showed nothing at Penn State, couldn’t beat out Clifford and the little I saw of him at Kentucky he looked legitimately terrible against good teams.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only watched two games Will Levis played last season, but he looked bad in both of them.

In one of them he had TWO red zone turnovers in the last three minutes of the game with his team down by 3.  I can't recall ever seeing that before in a college or pro game.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"Only four"?  That would be four times more than last draft and that one QB was taken at #20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#AR15toDC
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I only watched two games Will Levis played last season, but he looked bad in both of them.

In one of them he had TWO red zone turnovers in the last three minutes of the game with his team down by 3.  I can't recall ever seeing that before in a college or pro game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw that one too.  I can’t imagine using a high pick on him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

#AR15toDC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#AR15toDC

It sucks he pussied out and distanced himself from that. That was a pretty badass nickname.

For those that don't know: Florida QB Anthony Richardson wears #15 hence "AR-15."
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It sucks he pussied out and distanced himself from that. That was a pretty badass nickname.

For those that don't know: Florida QB Anthony Richardson wears #15 hence "AR-15."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#AR15toDC

right?

he also seems like the stereotypical absolute WORST pick for a franchise like DC.

still, I can dream.

edit: just to clarify on stereotypical worst pick, Anthony Richardson is like Lamar Jackson only bigger and as the scouts say he's got 'a lot of raw talent and he's a work in progress.' just the type of QB DC needs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Smith’s response was he wanted Shula to “just put something on the table” that would make Cowboys owner Jerry Jones say, “I cannot match it.”

Still, Smith said, Shula wouldn’t budge: “I can’t do that.”

Smith was incredulous.

“I said to myself, ‘Really?’”

It’s almost as if there wasn’t a massive demand for a RB whose success was largely due to him playing behind the greatest O-line in NFL history.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]

So long and good luck, EB.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

hope this all works out, for bieniemy and rivera and the skins.

who knows what's coming down the pipeline in terms of ownership, qb and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm obviously not as familiar with the situation as you, but unless they offered him a significant pay increase all I can think of is how everyone views him as simply existing in KC while Mahomes and Reid did their thing and he was never going to be taken seriously an NFL HC candidate while that was the case.  He'll certainly get a chance to prove himself in Washington.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

who knows what's coming down the pipeline in terms of ownership, qb and all that jazz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bass would know this better than the rest of us, but I don't recall seeing any reports indicating he was on his way out in KC.  And if that wasn't the case it seems nuts to me to walk away from that job security on a team that will be a Super Bowl contender (Bass, don't even try it ) for the foreseeable future in order to take the same position at a team that will be picked to finish 4th in their own division in 2023 with a HC that could very well be one season away from being gone.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's almost as if there wasn't a massive demand for a RB whose success was largely due to him playing behind the greatest O-line in NFL history.
View Quote
What I'm hearing here is that Emmitt, coming off being the leading rusher two years in a row, and leading TD scorer the year before, wanted the Dolphins to give him more money than any RB has ever been paid before... And they declined, and he was shocked about it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bass would know this better than the rest of us, but I don't recall seeing any reports indicating he was on his way out in KC.  And if that wasn't the case it seems nuts to me to walk away from that job security on a team that will be a Super Bowl contender (Bass, don't even try it ) for the foreseeable future in order to take the same position at a team that will be picked to finish 4th in their own division in 2023 with a HC that could very well be one season away from being gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've expected Bieniemy to leave every year for the last 3 years. The assumption was always that he'd get a HC job like Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy before him.

There's been lots of discussion of him taking an OC job somewhere else this cycle, so that's not much of a surprise either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Multiple years, probably guaranteed, elevation in job title to assistant head coach, full control of the offense/play calling. Definitely a promotion even if he is going to a worse team. Now he has the opportunity to prove it while likely earning a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm obviously not as familiar with the situation as you, but unless they offered him a significant pay increase all I can think of is how everyone views him as simply existing in KC while Mahomes and Reid did their thing and he was never going to be taken seriously an NFL HC candidate while that was the case.  He'll certainly get a chance to prove himself in Washington.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s exactly it. I think part of it is his past HC interviews have not gone well, and there have been rumors he can talk down to players. Who knows what’s true, but the new knock on him not having a HC gig is exactly what you were stating.

If what I’ve seen is accurate, he’ll be 100% in control of the offense in DC.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What I'm hearing here is that Emmitt, coming off being the leading rusher two years in a row, and leading TD scorer the year before, wanted the Dolphins to give him more money than any RB has ever been paid before... And they declined, and he was shocked about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's almost as if there wasn't a massive demand for a RB whose success was largely due to him playing behind the greatest O-line in NFL history.

Smith certainly wouldn't be the first Cowboys Hall of Famer during that time to have delusions of grandeur of how important they were to the dynasty.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We've expected Bieniemy to leave every year for the last 3 years. The assumption was always that he'd get a HC job like Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy before him.

There's been lots of discussion of him taking an OC job somewhere else this cycle, so that's not much of a surprise either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worded that poorly.  I should have said "reports indicating he was going to be forced out" instead of "reports indicating he was on his way out."
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Assistant HC will probably become Head Coach when Rivera is sent packing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually when a HC gets fired, the whole staff gets purged at the end of the season.

I think Bieniemy might have the inside track if Rivera retires, but Ron is a bit young for that.

I also think Rivera and Bieniemy might be similar enough that if a new owner doesn't like one, he probably won't like the other. Both are old school guys with a "player's coach" thing going on. I'd expect an offense designed and called by Bieniemy to be more traditional. If new ownership wants cutting edge and aggressive, EB is probably out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Yesssssss. Off-season fun. Via Bleacher Report: Aaron Rodgers Rumors: Packers 'Disgusted' with QB, Don't Want Reunion amid Trade Buzz

Aaron Rodgers may have played his last snap with the Green Bay Packers, per longtime Packers and NFL reporter Bob McGinn.

"They are done with Rodgers," McGinn said on the Go Long podcast. "He's not coming back. I mean, they're disgusted with him, and they're done with him. And they're moving on."

Per Florio, McGinn's report derived from "his own instincts, his knowledge of the league" and, in McGinn's words, "discussions with someone who [has] first-hand knowledge" of the team.

McGinn also said he's "totally convinced" Rodgers and the Packers are done and that Green Bay is ready to move forward with Jordan Love as the team's QB1.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yesssssss. Off-season fun. Via Bleacher Report: Aaron Rodgers Rumors: Packers 'Disgusted' with QB, Don't Want Reunion amid Trade Buzz

Aaron Rodgers may have played his last snap with the Green Bay Packers, per longtime Packers and NFL reporter Bob McGinn.

"They are done with Rodgers," McGinn said on the Go Long podcast. "He's not coming back. I mean, they're disgusted with him, and they're done with him. And they're moving on."

Per Florio, McGinn's report derived from "his own instincts, his knowledge of the league" and, in McGinn's words, "discussions with someone who [has] first-hand knowledge" of the team.

McGinn also said he's "totally convinced" Rodgers and the Packers are done and that Green Bay is ready to move forward with Jordan Love as the team's QB1.
View Quote

Can’t wait until rebel sees this shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I enjoy a good story as much as the next guy, but exactly how many layers of separation do we have here?

BR got it from a-hole Florio who got it from this McGinn guy who got it from “his own instincts” and an anonymous source?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#28]
So, I'm sure I've done the numbers before, but we'll look at it again.
Say the Packers are actually "done" with Rodgers, and they are moving on no matter what.
What are the money/cap ramifications?

Rodgers has $58.3M coming, fully guaranteed. Can't get out of it. Can only change how it is paid.
Pre-June 1st release: $99.8M deadcap
Post-June 1st release: $75.4M deadcap in 2023, $24.5M in 2024

Just not reasonable to believe the Packers will "walk" away from Rodgers while giving him almost $60M in cash and taking a $75-100M deadcap hit on a single player. That's out. Not happening.

Trades? If they do not take the option (wk1 deadline), which means the acquiring team would be taking on the full $59.5M in cash due to Rodgers in 2023 (effectively a 2 year $110M contract):
Pre-June 1st trade: $40.3M deadcap
Post-June 1st trade: $15.8M deadcap in 2023, $24.5M in 2024

Edit: So if they are "done", it's going to be a post draft, post June-1st trade for whatever they can get for an old quarterback who is due $110M over the next two seasons.

Double Edit: If a team does take on the $59.5M for ONE year (using the option), and then want to release Rodgers after that, here's the cap hits:
2023: $15.8M
2024 Pre-June 1st release: $43.7M deadcap
2024 Post-June 1st release: $14.6M deadcap in 2024, $29.2M in 2025 (not terrible)
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I enjoy a good story as much as the next guy, but exactly how many layers of separation do we have here?
BR got it from a-hole Florio who got it from this McGinn guy who got it from "his own instincts" and an anonymous source?
View Quote
I tried to look up more. McGinn writes for GoLongTD and his reasoning/article is behind a pay wall. He reportedly has been a pro football journalist since 1979... But he writes for GoLongTD... So... /shrug

But it's still fun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.tenor.com/uAYkOgC12DMAAAAC/trump-no.gif

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can't wait until rebel sees this shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't wait until rebel sees this shit.
@Rebel31

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Via WUSA9 News (DC/Maryland/Virginia): Another prospective bid group was given a tour of the Commanders facilities today. Reportedly (via sources) there have been at LEAST four bids submitted so far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Via WUSA9 News (DC/Maryland/Virginia): Another prospective bid group was given a tour of the Commanders facilities today. Reportedly (via sources) there have been at LEAST four bids submitted so far.
View Quote

I'll believe Snyder is fully committed to selling the team when it actually happens.

Even if the sale is announced I'd half expect him to hold a press conference and then, at the last second, pull a Jordan Belfort "I'M NOT FUCKIN' LEAVING!"
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'll believe Snyder is fully committed to selling the team when it actually happens.

Even if the sale is announced I'd half expect him to hold a press conference and then, at the last second, pull a Jordan Belfort "I'M NOT FUCKIN' LEAVING!"
View Quote
I more expect him to upper deck the toilets, unplug the fridges so food goes bad, change the locks, mess with the office chairs/equipment, maybe extend all the coaching staff on guaranteed contracts to piss off the new owner.

You know bullshit angry child stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#38]
DK Metcalf was the 2023 NBA All-Star Celebrity Game MVP.

20 points
10 rebounds
4 blocks

Scored the first points of the game on a dunk
Two handed slam
Nice block into another dunk

Edit: The Miz (WWE wrestler, formerly of MTV's Real World) hit a half court 3 at the buzzer off a stolen inbound, which would have forced overtime, except he was a couple tenths late on the release.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Well... If you believe this Tweet, yet another reason why EB may have left. If the front office liked Nagy to eventually take the reigns down the road, yet another reason for EB to leave now. Also allows the Chiefs to step Nagy up a level now and have him for a couple years at OC before potentially taking over.

Edit: Wasn't Nagy the OC before EB? Just suddenly had that brain tickle. He left KC to take the Chicago gig and then went back after being dumped last year? I think so IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well... If you believe this Tweet, yet another reason why EB may have left. If the front office liked Nagy to eventually take the reigns down the road, yet another reason for EB to leave now. Also allows the Chiefs to step Nagy up a level now and have him for a couple years at OC before potentially taking over.

Edit: Wasn't Nagy the OC before EB? Just suddenly had that brain tickle. He left KC to take the Chicago gig and then went back after being dumped last year? I think so IIRC.
View Quote

There's a STRONG chance Nagy gets the OC job back, but the rest of that? That's quite the theory.

For a long time, there were rumors that Kafka had the potential to be that guy. EB gets a HC job somewhere, Kafka gets the OC job, does that for a while, then Andy retires and Kafka becomes the Chiefs HC. Then EB didn't get hired, and Kafka went to the Giants. Kafka was 100% going to be the KC OC if he stayed in town.

There are layers to this Reid succession theory and who would be good for the job, assuming it's an internal hire.

Good coordinators don't necessarily make good HCs, and good HCs weren't necessarily good coordinators. Those are different jobs.

I remember Nagy being a good OC. He was handed a shit sandwich in Chicago, and the results he got with that probably weren't as bad as people remember, but I recall him showing some character flaws. I think Nagy is smart enough for the job, but I don't know how grounded he is. At the time, it really seemed like Cody Parkey's doink-doink broke him, and if you're going to be the HC of any team much less a weird one like the Chiefs, you have to be able to handle weird stuff like that. But I like him as an OC.

Between Nagy, Spags, and Toub, I think some guys might actually choose Toub for HC, and I think there's validity to that choice. It could (and probably should) be someone not already in the picture.

But, if you want to fuel this fire, here's Matt Nagy throwing a TD pass to some guy named Brett Veach 23 years ago...

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.tenor.com/uAYkOgC12DMAAAAC/trump-no.gif

JFC HK.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
they should, otherwise every team will start doing it that way.
View Quote

Then we get more exciting games with more teams going for it on 4th down.

Also, it would be in line with what the NFL wants which is more scoring.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The UGA diehards here are all butthurt that Stetson Bennett isn't getting many hard looks, he is smaller than Young but in their minds he is a giant among men.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The UGA diehards here are all butthurt that Stetson Bennett isn't getting many hard looks, he is smaller than Young but in their minds he is a giant among men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of those same people were probably trashing him in 2021.

SBIV is one of the greatest college football QBs of all time.  That doesn’t mean much for the pros though.  See Tim Tebow.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was true the Packers would’ve traded Rodgers last offseason for 2-3 firsts AND locked up Love for a longterm relatively team-friendly deal.

They did neither.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There's a STRONG chance Nagy gets the OC job back, but the rest of that? That's quite the theory.

For a long time, there were rumors that Kafka had the potential to be that guy. EB gets a HC job somewhere, Kafka gets the OC job, does that for a while, then Andy retires and Kafka becomes the Chiefs HC. Then EB didn't get hired, and Kafka went to the Giants. Kafka was 100% going to be the KC OC if he stayed in town.

There are layers to this Reid succession theory and who would be good for the job, assuming it's an internal hire.

Good coordinators don't necessarily make good HCs, and good HCs weren't necessarily good coordinators. Those are different jobs.

I remember Nagy being a good OC. He was handed a shit sandwich in Chicago, and the results he got with that probably weren't as bad as people remember, but I recall him showing some character flaws. I think Nagy is smart enough for the job, but I don't know how grounded he is. At the time, it really seemed like Cody Parkey's doink-doink broke him, and if you're going to be the HC of any team much less a weird one like the Chiefs, you have to be able to handle weird stuff like that. But I like him as an OC.

Between Nagy, Spags, and Toub, I think some guys might actually choose Toub for HC, and I think there's validity to that choice. It could (and probably should) be someone not already in the picture.

But, if you want to fuel this fire, here's Matt Nagy throwing a TD pass to some guy named Brett Veach 23 years ago...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man... Pete Sweeney called his shot on this a year ago.

He's neither stupid nor a hot take artist.

Thinking about it, was Matt Nagy with Trubisky any worse than Bill Belichick with Mac Jones?...

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

SBIV is one of the greatest college football QBs of all time.  That doesn’t mean much for the pros though.  See Tim Tebow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are no search results for Bennett on GTM, and he isn't on Tankathon's big board.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There are no search results for Bennett on GTM, and he isn't on Tankathon's big board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm surprised there is as much draft hype for him as there is with some "experts" suggesting he might be a day 2 pick.  He's undersized and he's already 25 1/2 so even if you draft him as a project and even IF he turns into a serviceable NFL QB he'll be damn near 30 when he does.

Still, SBIV will always have being one of the greatest college QBs of all time.  Hell, one could even make the argument he is THE most clutch college QB of all time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm surprised there is as much draft hype for him as there is with some "experts" suggesting he might be a day 2 pick.  He's undersized and he's already 25 1/2 so even if you draft him as a project and even IF he turns into a serviceable NFL QB he'll be damn near 30 when he does.

Still, SBIV will always have being one of the greatest college QBs of all time.  Hell, one could even make the argument he is THE most clutch college QB of all time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTM is only up to the top 50. They will fill out more as more mock drafts include deeper classes.

Tankathon's big board stops at the end of the R3 comp picks at 102.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top