BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

GTM is only up to the top 50. They will fill out more as more mock drafts include deeper classes.

Tankathon's big board stops at the end of the R3 comp picks at 102.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't follow college ball much, so I don't really get into the draft conversation until after the playoffs.

There are only four QBs projected to go in the first round this year. Of those, the consensus top pick is this guy:

https://www.gifcen.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/yikes-gif-3.gif

CJ Stroud and Will Levis are both looking like top-5 picks with Stroud having been there the whole time and Levis trending up there through the season.

Interestingly, I haven't seen these two discussed as much nationally as I have Bryce Young or the consensus #4 guy, Anthony Richardson.

The boom or bust factor on Richardson is off the charts. Nobody gives him a shot at being average. He's either going to be awesome or awful.

I'm just getting into this stuff, but this seems like a really good year to not need a new franchise QB.

The UGA diehards here are all butthurt that Stetson Bennett isn't getting many hard looks, he is smaller than Young but in their minds he is a giant among men.

Most of those same people were probably trashing him in 2021.

SBIV is one of the greatest college football QBs of all time.  That doesn’t mean much for the pros though.  See Tim Tebow.

There are no search results for Bennett on GTM, and he isn't on Tankathon's big board.

I'm surprised there is as much draft hype for him as there is with some "experts" suggesting he might be a day 2 pick.  He's undersized and he's already 25 1/2 so even if you draft him as a project and even IF he turns into a serviceable NFL QB he'll be damn near 30 when he does.

Still, SBIV will always have being one of the greatest college QBs of all time.  Hell, one could even make the argument he is THE most clutch college QB of all time.

GTM is only up to the top 50. They will fill out more as more mock drafts include deeper classes.

Tankathon's big board stops at the end of the R3 comp picks at 102.

SBIV is the greatest player in Georgia history so I'll always be appreciative for that, but if my NFL team needed a QB I wouldn't want to draft him. He's undersized, relatively old, and he probably doesn't have a personality that would make for a good backup/project.

Still, he's likely gone through AND conquered more collegiate trials and tribulations than anyone else in the draft so at least he has that going for him.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Time for the XFL, did you know that was starting up?

On ESPN right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Time for the XFL, did you know that was starting up?

On ESPN right now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My boner just recently receded, so I’ll wait until August.  Go Chiefs!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#5]
So. Which XFL team will I root for. Um. Well, I live near DC, but it feels to much like rooting redskins.

I own a time share in Vegas. So maybe Vipers. Sure. Vipers. Go Vipers! And they lost. GODDAMNIT!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So. Which XFL team will I root for. Um. Well, I live near DC, but it feels to much like rooting redskins.

I own a time share in Vegas. So maybe Vipers. Sure. Vipers. Go Vipers! And they lost. GODDAMNIT!
View Quote

I liked the Battle Hawks last time around, but I have no idea who the new rosters/coaching staffs are.

Unfortunately I didn't watch any XFL this weekend but I plan on watching some at least.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I liked the Battle Hawks last time around, but I have no idea who the new rosters/coaching staffs are.

Unfortunately I didn't watch any XFL this weekend but I plan on watching some at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob Stoops coaches the Dallas team.  That's the only player or coach I could name in the entire XFL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bob Stoops coaches the Dallas team.  That's the only player or coach I could name in the entire XFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hines Ward is a coach for one of the teams also...
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have any of Andy Reid's assistant coaches gone in to succeed after leaving him.

I'm still confused on why a run first, non-franchise QB wanting head coach would go after an OC who worked a pass heavy offense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm still confused on why a run first, non-franchise QB wanting head coach would go after an OC who worked a pass heavy offense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

Harbaugh and Pederson have rings, and Rivera has a Super Bowl appearance. McDermott is pretty good.

Reich, Daboll, and Sirianni are also under the Reid tree.

EB is a former RB and RB coach.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#11]
After reading about the NFL thinking about imposing a rule to prevent QB sneak like Philly it made me wonder which team was the cause of the most new rules.

Off the top of my head, the Cowboys have 3.
- No removing helmets after a TD : Emmitt Smith
- No horse collar : Dallas DB (forget which one)
- What is a catch : Dez

On the flip side, which team has broken the most rules.
- No filming the other  team's practice : NE
- No deflating of footballs : NE
- No happy endings from a masseuse : NE
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After reading about the NFL thinking about imposing a rule to prevent QB sneak like Philly it made me wonder which team was the cause of the most new rules.

Off the top of my head, the Cowboys have 3.
- No removing helmets after a TD : Emmitt Smith
- No horse collar : Dallas DB (forget which one)
- What is a catch : Dez

On the flip side, which team has broken the most rules.
- No filming the other  team's practice : NE
- No deflating of footballs : NE
- No happy endings from a masseuse : NE
View Quote

Dez caught the ball.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#13]
In order to root for an XFL team, I would have to select the team with the most talent that will constantly underperform, basically play like shit in the biggest spots, and the owner has to have a shitload of plastic surgery, so the skin on his face is bizarrely tight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol.

Harbaugh and Pederson have rings, and Rivera has a Super Bowl appearance. McDermott is pretty good.

Reich, Daboll, and Sirianni are also under the Reid tree.

EB is a former RB and RB coach.
View Quote

I would put Daboll in Belichick's tree before I would put him under Reid. He spent many years coaching under Belichick. His connection to Reid is indirect through McDermott unless you want to count Reid not retaining Daboll when Reid took over the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In order to root for an XFL team, I would have to select the team with the most talent that will constantly underperform, basically play like shit in the biggest spots, and the owner has to have a shitload of plastic surgery, so the skin on his face is bizarrely tight.
View Quote

I think the league owns all of the team. So, take your pick since Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the owner
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Florio is reporting Daniel Jones wants $45M APY. lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think the league owns all of the team. So, take your pick since Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the owner
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Essentially, who are the Dallas Cowboys of the XFL?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Revoke the tuck rule: NE
No hitting the QB low: NE
Illegal Contact: NE after the bitch Colts got fucked up in 03 and Polian cried in the rules committee

Edit: Frankly, the last one there was one of the defining moments of the change in how offenses work and the blooming of the modern passing era. Illegal contact, defensive holding, pass interference emphasis. That pure mugging of the golden boy (at the time) Peyton Manning led Colts. Where he was picked off 4 times by the Pats in the AFCCG, and the Colts receivers complained about the physicality of that defense. Polian crying about it to the committee. It changed the way the NFL called everything in the secondary.

That Pats defense though... Ty Law, Rodney, McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Asante Samuel, Tyrone Poole. *Italian Hand Kiss*
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lost in the last 1:47.
Defense just gave up.
Quoted:
View Quote

He is not worth $45m but they will pay.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
He just changed agents as well.

Let him test the market. lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.

This.

Especially before Groot gets a new contract.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#23]

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/2023-nfl-free-agency-top-franchise-tag-candidates/
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly the reason I was rooting for Daniel Jones in the 2022 season.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Illegal Contact: NE after the bitch Colts got fucked up in 03 and Polian cried in the rules committee

Edit: Frankly, the last one there was one of the defining moments of the change in how offenses work and the blooming of the modern passing era. Illegal contact, defensive holding, pass interference emphasis. That pure mugging of the golden boy (at the time) Peyton Manning led Colts. Where he was picked off 4 times by the Pats in the AFCCG, and the Colts receivers complained about the physicality of that defense. Polian crying about it to the committee. It changed the way the NFL called everything in the secondary.

That Pats defense though... Ty Law, Rodney, McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Asante Samuel, Tyrone Poole. *Italian Kiss*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Pats defense though... Ty Law, Rodney, McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Asante Samuel, Tyrone Poole. *Italian Kiss*

Don't forget...

Jumping over the long snapper to block a FG: NE
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well.

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Defense just gave up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Defense just gave up.
Quoted:

No chance. They might tag him once and they’ll draft a replacement if he sticks on a number that high.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If you’re gonna pay a QB $45M a season personally I’d rather have Derek Carr than Daniel Jones.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#29]
This season Deshaun Watson will count for $55M against the Brown's cap. It is the largest single season cap hit for any player in NFL history. He will also count for $55M against the cap in 2024, 2025 and 2026.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This season Deshaun Watson will count for $55M against the Brown's cap. It is the largest single season cap hit for any player in NFL history. He will also count for $55M against the cap in 2024, 2025 and 2026.
View Quote

I hope he bankrupts the franchise.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

All things considered (including draft capital lost and the damage to your franchise’s image) that will likely go down as THE worst deal in NFL history and hindsight wasn’t even required to know it was a horrible idea from the get-go.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All things considered (including draft capital lost and the damage to your franchise’s image) that will likely go down as THE worst deal in NFL history and hindsight wasn’t even required to know it was a horrible idea from the get-go.
View Quote

It's the Browns we're talking about here....
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before Watson the Browns were viewed by many as lovable losers.

After Watson 31 1/4 NFL fan bases were rooting against them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wade Phillips is the HC of the Houston Roughnecks
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if he’ll come back to form with a full training camp.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Leonhard was GB's #1 defensive coordinator pick a couple years ago. He turned down their offer to stay with Wisconsin in anticipation of becoming head coach. Instead they hired someone from outside the org and Leonhard announced he would depart the program.

GB has decided to stick with Joe Barry as DC and Leonhard is now moving on. Big bummer.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No chance. They might tag him once and they'll draft a replacement if he sticks on a number that high.
View Quote
I thought theu declined the 5th year option so he is free?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A man with an 8 figure net worth taking a job in an amateur league at age 75.

Well that's a "he should've been out of the game years ago, but he can't stay home cause he hates his wife" situation if I ever saw one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No chance. They might tag him once and they'll draft a replacement if he sticks on a number that high.

They can still tag him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watson being a top 5 QB next season?  Its possible, but I very much doubt it.

How many QBs in NFL history were top 5 (or so) for their careers, fell off the map (either MIA or a bottom 5 QB) for over 2 years, and then became top 5 QBs again for an extended period of time?  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Football form or sexually abusing message therapists form?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chances of him doing it again, all things considered, are almost a statistical certainty.

Now whether or not the public finds out about it, that's less certain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How many QBs in NFL history were top 5 (or so) for their careers, fell off the map (either MIA or a bottom 5 QB) for over 2 years, and then became top 5 QBs again for an extended period of time?  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hasn’t he only had this season of bad QB play? The last season he played in Houston, while the team had 4 wins, I think statistically he was still a top 5 QB. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hasn’t he only had this season of bad QB play? The last season he played in Houston, while the team had 4 wins, I think statistically he was still a top 5 QB. I could be wrong.
View Quote

I'm sure someone will argue statistics but no top 5 QB led a 4 win team.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t really know how Brees was perceived in San Diego before his injury. It could be said his NO trade would meet that.

Just a thought. I won’t fight hard to defend it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not just how many bad seasons he's had, it's how long its been since he had a good one. By the time the 2023 season starts it'll be over 2 1/2 years since Watson looked good.  Sure, people were expecting SOME rust, but not "bottom 5" rust.

As for whether or not Watson was a top 5 QB in 2020: I don't think so. Sure, his Passer Rating was great, but on a 4-12 team I suspect a decent amount of that was stat padding.  Which is probably why he wasn't even top 10 in QBR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If Watson was injured would he count against cap during recovery?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The chances of him doing it again, all things considered, are almost a statistical certainty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point it's almost on them if they take him as a client...
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fully guaranteed contract. Those are his cap hits unless they give him more years to restructure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. Unless the contract calls for a different salary when placed on IR (typically UDFA's and elevated practice squad guys who haven't earned a decent contract yet).

Anytime you're curious you can pull up a team's active salary cap list on Spotrac and the top list will show active/rostered players, then the next section will show you the injured reserve players. At the bottom it should have a break down that covers where the total cap hit for that season is allocated (active, injured, practice squad, etc).
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top