Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At this point it's almost on them if they take him as a client...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if he’ll come back to form with a full training camp.

Football form or sexually abusing message therapists form?

The chances of him doing it again, all things considered, are almost a statistical certainty.

Now whether or not the public finds out about it, that's less certain.

At this point it's almost on them if they take him as a client...

Some of Watson's previous victims were unemployed single mothers (during a lockdown no less) desperate for money.  I suspect he knew even if they heard the rumors about him they'd be less likely to refuse the appointment and more likely to "just go with it" when the assault started.

Reminds me of that scene in American Psycho where the hooker knows she shouldn't go with him, but he waves that big clip of money at her and she reluctantly agrees.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Organization believes that Carr could 'lead them to a championship.'"

Mahomes couldn't lead that organization to a championship.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A man with 10 figure net worth taking a job in an amateur league at age 75.

Well that's a "he should've been out of the game years ago, but he can't stay home cause he hates his wife" situation if I ever saw one.
View Quote

Wade Phillips is a billionaire?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A man with 10 figure net worth taking a job in an amateur league at age 75.

Well that's a "he should've been out of the game years ago, but he can't stay home cause he hates his wife" situation if I ever saw one.

Oops. I went down a rabbit hole of celebrity net worth pages when I looked it up and got that messed up. Wade isn't even 9 futures.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
B.J. "Red" McCombs, a prominent San Antonio businessman, philanthropist and the namesake of the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas, former co-owner of the Denver Nuggets, former owner of the San Antonio Spurs and the Minnesota Vikings, died Sunday. He was 95.

McCombs rose from working as a car salesman at a Ford dealership in Corpus Christi in 1950 to a billionaire who has owned more than 400 businesses in several industries, including real estate, energy, automotive and several sports enterprises. In 2022, Forbes listed him among the richest men in the world, with an $1.7 billion estimated net worth. McCombs was also a co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, which is now known as iHeartMedia.

McCombs gave $50 million to UT's business school in 1999. The UT System Board of Regents renamed the school in McCombs' honor. McCombs and his wife, Charline, donated $30 million to the UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston (the largest donation for cancer research they have ever received).

McCombs attended Southwestern University in the 1940s on a football scholarship, where he was a lineman and receiver. He later joined the Army from 1946 to 1947 before enrolling in UT's law and business school, although he did not graduate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least Jones is younger & has a shot at improving
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hope he bankrupts the franchise.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm going to walk that back.

Do I hate the Browns? I do.

But the football gods have been ruthless in crushing the hopes of Browns fans for so long, and so thoroughly. If any one of either their carousel of head coaches or quarterbacks panned out...but no, instead they handicap themselves for years at a time.

Maybe Watson regains form and by some Christmas miracle, they compete again...I actually hope they do.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All things considered (including draft capital lost and the damage to your franchise’s image) that will likely go down as THE worst deal in NFL history and hindsight wasn’t even required to know it was a horrible idea from the get-go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This season Deshaun Watson will count for $55M against the Brown's cap. It is the largest single season cap hit for any player in NFL history. He will also count for $55M against the cap in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

All things considered (including draft capital lost and the damage to your franchise’s image) that will likely go down as THE worst deal in NFL history and hindsight wasn’t even required to know it was a horrible idea from the get-go.

One of the angles that doesn't get talked about enough is that Watson's deal was fully guaranteed.

My understanding is that, when any guarantees in a contract kick in, the owner must write a check to an escrow account in that player's name.

With some contracts, those guarantees kick in at certain milestones along the way (like the Mahomes contract), but for Watson, it was all at signing. When that deal was signed, the Haslams had to write a full $230M check to Watson's escrow account.

That sets a terrible precedent and really screws most of the other owners in the NFL, and that's before you consider the particulars of the player involved.

Some team owners simply do not have the liquidity/cash flow to play that game.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They can still tag him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No chance. They might tag him once and they'll draft a replacement if he sticks on a number that high.
I thought theu declined the 5th year option so he is free?

They can still tag him.

That's a really interesting game.

It is my belief that, in general, you should not tag a QB. You either have a franchise QB or you don't. If you have a franchise QB, you should get that contract extension written up and signed as soon as that player becomes eligible. If you wait on that extension and/or play games with the tag, the results are almost universally terrible for the franchise. The most likely scenario is probably paying an extra 20%+ like the Cowboys did with Dak. Or you can lose your player to FA and end up with nothing to show for it like the WTF did with Cousins. There is the potential for a tag & trade, but I can't think of an example of that at the QB position.

Now that the Giants are here, they have to make a decision with Jones.

The tag value for QBs this season is $32.4M.

I think paying Jones $32.4M for one year can make some sense, but then what? Either Jones improves or becomes more expensive or he doesn't and the situation is probably worse this time next year.

The other variable for the Giants here is Saquon Barkley. He's a FA this year, and the Giants can only franchise tag one player. Barkley seems like a good candidate for a tag and trade... IF they can get something ironed out with Jones. Otherwise, they might have to let Barkley go to the FA free market and hope they get a good comp pick for him.

I like the idea of the Giants offering Jones a 3 year deal in the neighborhood of $35M or so.  I think that's fair for the position, the production, and the potential, and it gives Jones a shot at a bigger payday in 2-3 years when he's 28-29 years old. Jones can ask for whatever he wants, but I'd expect him to have a soft market.

A tag and trade gets spicy with Jones because they'd have to replace him with someone. Also, if they trade him, the entire league would know NYG is gunning for a QB, and they're all the way down at #26, so they'd need to move way up. Oh, and every team in the top 9 probably needs to be looking at QBs. Unless one of those teams wants Jones, I'm not seeing it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://media.tenor.com/4Nh-kwo0mSQAAAAM/batman-thinking.gif
View Quote

Oh, come on.  Chris Collinsworth said Groot was the Michael Jordan of the NFL.  Surely he's worth the biggest contract in NFL history, right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, come on.  Chris Collinsworth said Groot was the Michael Jordan of the NFL.  Surely he's worth the biggest contract in NFL history, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prevailing report last year was that LJax wanted a fully guaranteed contract after butthole massage got one. We'll see if anyone is willing to entertain that desire.

Either way, I'm ready to be entertained.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean they've got a PRO BOWL level backup.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The prevailing report last year was that LJax wanted a fully guaranteed contract after butthole massage got one. We'll see if anyone is willing to entertain that desire.

Either way, I'm ready to be entertained.
View Quote

We laughed a Daniel Jones wanting $45m/season but he's got the same amount of playoff wins and twice as many 300 yard passing games as LJax. He also didn't miss multiple games each of the last two season due to injury.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We laughed a Daniel Jones wanting $45m/season but he's got the same amount of playoff wins and twice as many 300 yard passing games as LJax. He also didn't miss multiple games each of the last two season due to injury.
View Quote

Yep.

LJax is overrated.  He'll sink any team that gives him what he's asking and the talking heads will call the Ravens racist for not caving.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep.

LJax is overrated.  He'll sink any team that gives him what he's asking and the talking heads will call the Ravens racist for not caving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Talent wise he's fine. He might not be able to carry an offense like Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady but his legs keep a defense honest & limited. In that way he can help elevate the play of others.

Money wise....is that worth the same as elite passers? Probably not, but it's a better argument for that pay than Jones, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
2022 thread now has more pages than 2021.  Let's see what 2023 will bring!
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm going to walk that back.

Do I hate the Browns? I do.

But the football gods have been ruthless in crushing the hopes of Browns fans for so long, and so thoroughly. If any one of either their carousel of head coaches or quarterbacks panned out...but no, instead they handicap themselves for years at a time.

Maybe Watson regains form and by some Christmas miracle, they compete again...I actually hope they do.

View Quote

They got their nba championship. That's enough.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Talent wise he's fine. He might not be able to carry an offense like Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady but his legs keep a defense honest & limited. In that way he can help elevate the play of others.

Money wise....is that worth the same as elite passers? Probably not, but it's a better argument for that pay than Jones, IMO.
View Quote

His rushing has also had him sidelined two seasons in a row. Newton's decline accelerated around 900 rush attempts which at Ljax's current pace will be in 1.5 seasons. QBs that rely on their athleticism typically have short careers. Short enough that anything over a two year deal would be a no for me.

His career passing stats look almost identical to Colin Kaepernick's....

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
This century how many Super Bowls were won by teams that had a QB that was in the top 5 highest paid QBs for that season?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head might be the Rams with Stafford and with that one the Rams won 3 playoff games by 3 points with the refs basically handing them a Super Bowl win.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This century how many Super Bowls were won by teams that had a QB that was in the top 5 highest paid QBs for that season?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head might be the Rams with Stafford and with that one the Rams won 3 playoff games by 3 points with the refs basically handing them a Super Bowl win.
View Quote

Mahomes was second this year.
Rams had the highest cap hit for QBs in the league (eating Goffs +Stafford) in 2021.
Brady was tied for 5th in 2020.

So, three in a row based on cap hits.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Rams had the highest cap hit for QBs in the league (eating Goffs +Stafford) in 2021.

So, three in a row.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, three in a row.

Mahomes actually didn't get paid much at all in 2022.  I'm pretty sure it was under $10M which obviously wouldn't be top 5.  I don't remember the exact amount but I remember seeing it when I was shocked to see his net worth was only $40M and looked into his career earnings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Mahomes actually didn't get paid much at all in 2022.  I'm pretty sure it was under $10M which obviously wouldn't be top 5.  I don't remember the exact amount but I remember seeing it when I was shocked to see his net worth was only $40M and looked into his career earnings.
View Quote

$32 million isnt "much at all"?

$79.4 million to date in NFL salary
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. My bad. I was looking at the wrong thing.

So we have the GOAT, a unicorn, and a team that won 3 playoff games by 3 points with the refs handing them a Super Bowl win.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

His rushing has also had him sidelined two seasons in a row. Newton's decline accelerated around 900 rush attempts which at Ljax's current pace will be in 1.5 seasons. QBs that rely on their athleticism typically have short careers. Short enough that anything over a two year deal would be a no for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LJax's old timey passer rating for this season was 91.1. That's in the same neighborhood as Herbert (93.2), D Jones (92.5), Cousins (92.5), Dak (91.1), Rodgers (91.1), and Brady (90.7).

Now rank those guys by supporting cast.  

I think Jackson is still average as a passer. Not great, not terrible. But when his WR1 is Demarcus Robinson, he's pretty much screwed. Nobody is going anywhere with that.

Put him in a system with a legit deep threat, a couple big YAC guys, and a good RB, and he'd be very dangerous. I don't see him working the pocket and making 3+ reads reliably, but he shouldn't be in a situation where his TE and his own legs are the only good options on any given down.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is a smaller, faster, slightly more talented Cam Newton.

IMO, much like a RB, you don't give a QB like that a huge second contract.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LJax's old timey passer rating for this season was 91.1. That's in the same neighborhood as Herbert (93.2), D Jones (92.5), Cousins (92.5), Dak (91.1), Rodgers (91.1), and Brady (90.7).

I think Jackson is still average as a passer. Not great, not terrible. But when his WR1 is Demarcus Robinson, he's pretty much screwed. Nobody is going anywhere with that.

Put him in a system with a legit deep threat, a couple big YAC guys, and a good RB, and he'd be very dangerous. I don't see him working the pocket and making 3+ reads reliably, but he shouldn't be in a situation where his TE and his own legs are the only good options on any given down.
View Quote

His passer rating was 17th in the league - average.

How are you supposed to build that cast when you pay him a shit ton of money?

Since Ljax was selected the Ravens have drafted 8 WRs - either they can't draft for shit or he can't elevate them. Also, no FA WRs have went to Baltimore since he became the starter - either they don't want to play with Ljax or the Raven aren't offering them competitive deals. Who is to blame for his supporting cast?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newton was a "power rusher", he was basically a DE (size wise) that could throw. Guys that size (big Ben is another example) can't stay competitive athletically for all that long. That's why Allen gets the reactions he is getting.

Groot is a RB/WR size wise, and that's better for his continued elite athleticism. What he has to avoid is basically RG3ing himself, which you can tell he is doing a good job of avoiding the worst hits. You can bet his contract situation is playing a huge part in his on field absence this year, so I wouldn't hold that against him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Something else to consider with Groot is that he is acting as his own agent and the kid is a moron who has a very inflated opinion of how much guaranteed money he should be getting (in part due to how much Watson got).  Its tough to negotiate with someone like that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Via The Leap: Rodgers still wandering in the darkness (literally)
As of the time of writing, Aaron Rodgers has not resurfaced following his planned "darkness retreat." Until he does, the Packers won't know what their future holds.

To the best of anyone's knowledge, Aaron Rodgers has not yet emerged from his multi-day "darkness retreat." Even if he has, no word has surfaced as to whether he plans to continue his NFL career. That means that until further notice, the Green Bay Packers also find themselves wandering in the darkness in a certain sense.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good for him. Local boy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As of the time of writing, Aaron Rodgers has not resurfaced following his planned "darkness retreat." Until he does, the Packers won't know what their future holds.

To the best of anyone's knowledge, Aaron Rodgers has not yet emerged from his multi-day "darkness retreat." Even if he has, no word has surfaced as to whether he plans to continue his NFL career. That means that until further notice, the Green Bay Packers also find themselves wandering in the darkness in a certain sense.

View Quote

At the risk of triggering another Rebel meltdown, I think its time the Packers move on from Rodgers.  Especially if the reports are accurate that they are very confident in Love.

Sure, if they traded him now they wouldn't be able to get anything even close to what they could've gotten a year ago, but maybe they could get one 1st for him.  I would think at bare minimum they could get a 2nd and a 3rd.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t really understand why this is such a media thing.

I bet half the NFL smokes pot once a year or more. Ultimately this darkness retreat is an expensive attempt to alter his conscious state. He’s single and rich, and he apparently reads a lot of books. He wants to experience it.

Why is this a nearly month long media story?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At the risk of triggering another Rebel meltdown, I think its time the Packers move on from Rodgers.  Especially if the reports are accurate that they are very confident in Love.

Sure, if they traded him now they wouldn't be able to get anything even close to what they could've gotten a year ago, but maybe they could get one 1st for him.  I would think at bare minimum they could get a 2nd and a 3rd.

View Quote

His market will be small.

Teams with cap space that may be a QB away : Raiders, Giants, Patriots, Seahawks.

I don't see a team shedding talent and draft capital for only a handful of years at most for Rodgers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Since Ljax was selected the Ravens have drafted 8 WRs - either they can't draft for shit or he can't elevate them. Also, no FA WRs have went to Baltimore since he became the starter - either they don't want to play with Ljax or the Raven aren't offering them competitive deals. Who is to blame for his supporting cast?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The front office? You know... the people responsible for roster construction?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I bet half the NFL smokes pot once a year or more. Ultimately this darkness retreat is an expensive attempt to alter his conscious state. He’s single and rich, and he apparently reads a lot of books. He wants to experience it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sensory deprivation is a no shit torture technique. It's the kind of think the CIA, the KGB, and Mossad does to psychologically break people.

Subjecting yourself to it voluntarily and paying for the privilege is bananas.

I'm not one to really get into recreational chemicals, but I'm going to go out on a little bit of a limb and assume that maybe it's a tiny bit different than smoking a blunt or doing a few shots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's weird as shit bro.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sensory deprivation is a no shit torture technique. It's the kind of think the CIA, the KGB, and Mossad does to psychologically break people.

I'm not one to really get into recreational chemicals, but I'm going to go out on a little bit of a limb and assume that maybe it's a tiny bit different than smoking a blunt or doing a few shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m gonna assume someone paying for a darkness retreat, and planning for it months in advance is slightly different than state sponsored torture.  

I certainly might be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I’m gonna assume someone paying for a darkness retreat, and planning for it months in advance is slightly different than state sponsored torture.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What will you say here in a few months when Rodgers is getting waterboarded or jumper-cabled to reset his chakras or some shit?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dan Snyder enters the chat. He'll try and get Lamar. I mean why not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because every off-season Rodgers plays the troll and the media buys into it because he is a potential HOF quarterback playing for a storied NFL franchise. Rodgers love the attention and he does weird shit and says controversial things and it drives ratings/clicks.

This off-season just happens to be him saying he is going to decide whether he wants to retire, play for the Packers or play for someone else while sitting in a prison hole.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What will you say here in a few months when Rodgers is getting waterboarded or jumper-cabled to reset his chakras or some shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll think of it as the circumstances suggest.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Some images:
Click To View Spoiler
1150 and 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway Alameda CA

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

When he emerges and he sees his shadow does that mean one more year or Rodgers with GB?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You're right. My bad. I was looking at the wrong thing.

So we have the GOAT, a unicorn, and a team that won 3 playoff games by 3 points with the refs handing them a Super Bowl win.

Anyone else?
View Quote

Joe Montana?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like a ultra-marathon or multi-day hunting trip in the mountains are physically fun, but people have a blast doing them & preparing for them.

A darkness retreat is weird for sure, but I don't really see it any differently. He knows when he's done, he has everything he needs, and I imagine he's fairly comfortable unlike some prisoner stuffed in a dark hole.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top