Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is further reading.

Article

Sounds like for men, getting on TRT then consuming at least 150g protein daily with mild exercise while doing the semaglutide should counteract the muscle/bone mass loss and keep it to fat.
Dr Attia giving a talk on it.

Great, an entire drug cocktail when all you need to do is stuff your face less.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if this would be effective/sustainable for those who are trying to lose weight (and need to sooner rather than later) but can't get the exercise regimen started without injuring themselves.  Knees, joints, etc. all get hurt when you try to do active shit while carrying an extra 200 lbs.  

If this could get them to a point that allows them to start being more active without risking injury, it could have some benefit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks OP.  The thing about these drugs is they work on the brain.
After a few weeks your stomach shrinks in size.  Your intestines and stomach
slow the digestive process so you feel fuller. Some insurance companies will
pay for it, especially if you are already on Metfoeman.

Personally I went from 212lbs to 194 since Super Bowl Sunday. 6’.
My wife, 5’3” went from 150 to 133.  

It took me 3 days to eat a foot long Publix Sub. I open the fridge and nothing appeals to me.
No sugar cravings.  Previously I woke up at 6:30 am and ate.  Now it’s like 10:30.
I did give up pasta and bread about 90%.  Overall I feel great!

Some say it reduces alcohol intake but I don’t really see it.
On the other hand my wife can barely sip a glass of red wine.

FYI NVO is the stock symbol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Obesity and diabetes are a major problem in our country, if it helps people lose weight then I'm all for it.  People can bitch about self-control all they want but it hasn't been fixing the issue on a national level.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm 35 and 5'10 - Each weigh in was taken with 2 digital scales (I don't trust the crappy Wal-Mart scales I have)
Day 0: 268lbs
Day 7: 262lbs
Day 14: 257
Day 21: 254
Day 28: 249

View Quote
Can you explain your starting weight?  Did you splurge, eat everything you could, and weigh yourself at the heaviest possible weight knowing you were going to try this?

In the medical studies people lost about 30 pounds over the course of a year on the full 2.4mg every week.  You have taken 10% of that dose for 4 weeks and claim 67% of that weight loss already.  Seems highly unlikely unless loaded up before hand and then added keto plus interment fasting along with the semaglutide.

Not saying it isn't possible but what I see is a brand new account that pimps out the name of a medical company for latest trend drug and then reports amazing results.  All that combines makes your post suspect. Feel free to explain how it is possible if you like.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Obesity and diabetes are a major problem in our country, if it helps people lose weight then I'm all for it.  People can bitch about self-control all they want but it hasn't been fixing the issue on a national level.
View Quote

A quick fix that allows people to lose weight* without gaining the discipline to keep it off is not fixing any issues.

A method of losing weight that makes you fatter as a percentage, while wasting away your best source of basal caloric burn (muscle) and giving you brittle bones, is not fixing any issues.

This will be another fad diet for the people who want a quick fix that ultimately ends up where the rest of them do, and ever growing obese population.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the success but you are significantly overpaying for the compounded drug. Patients here in Tx are paying less than 120 delivered to their door
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I started it about a month ago due to type 2 diabetes., just went up to the 1MG dose.  So far I am down about 28 pounds.  

The desire to eat just isn't there, I now have a small snack for breakfast, a decent lunch, and dinner is usually either small or non-existent.  

I'm way under my calorie targets, but meeting my nutrient quotas, and as I lose weight, exercise gets easier and easier.  

I have to beat this, I wanna actually see my grandkids grow up, not croak way before my time like mom and dad did.  

I beat smoking, I can beat food, and I can beat diabetes.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've lost 35lbs.  15 more to go until my target of 185lbs.  $20/month.  I was pre-diabetic so doc had no problem prescribing.  

Now if I could only quit drinking . . . .
View Quote

Look up The sinclair method and naltrexone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can you explain your starting weight?  Did you splurge, eat everything you could, and weigh yourself at the heaviest possible weight knowing you were going to try this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not at all.
Quoted:
In the medical studies people lost about 30 pounds over the course of a year on the full 2.4mg every week.  You have taken 10% of that dose for 4 weeks and claim 67% of that weight loss already.  Seems highly unlikely unless loaded up before hand and then added keto plus interment fasting along with the semaglutide.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with how averages work, but some people in those studies lost less than 30 pounds, and some people lost more than 30 pounds. There are tons of people that have lost weight faster than I have.

Quoted:
Not saying it isn't possible but what I see is a brand new account that pimps out the name of a medical company for latest trend drug and then reports amazing results.  All that combines makes your post suspect. Feel free to explain how it is possible if you like.

Take the drug, don't take the drug. Do whatever you want; jump off a cliff for all I care. The fact that your first assumption is that I'm a shill shows how shitty of a person you likely are.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A quick fix that allows people to lose weight* without gaining the discipline to keep it off is not fixing any issues.

A method of losing weight that makes you fatter as a percentage, while wasting away your best source of basal caloric burn (muscle) and giving you brittle bones, is not fixing any issues.

This will be another fad diet for the people who want a quick fix that ultimately ends up where the rest of them do, and ever growing obese population.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but the reality is harping on self-control hasn't worked for the past 2 or 3 decades.

If things like Ozempic work, so be it.

I'm not sure on the brittle bone thing, no strong evidence either way at this point but some have thought it may actually hit a receptor that can increase bone mass a small amount.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nobody is talking about "not gaining discipline." The drug forces people into better eating habits. Now when I make my plate for dinner, I get a much smaller portion than I did before. I don't mindlessly snack like I did before. Will I gain back weight back? Who knows. It's worth a try, based on my calculus.

Quoted:

Christ, dude... If you go from 320lbs to 220lbs, you're DEFINITELY better off. To argue otherwise would be retarded.

There's nothing out there that would lead a rational person to conclude that the ratio between fat:lean mass lost using these drugs is any different than if the person lost weight without the drug.  I can tell you that based on my experience, none of my lifts have gone down. Would the effects be different if I didn't lift? Maybe.
Quoted:

It's not a diet, genius. Do you even know what the term means? It's simply a drug that generally leads to a greatly decreased caloric intake. Some people eat keto diets while on it, some people eat vegan diets, and everything in between.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great, an entire drug cocktail when all you need to do is stuff your face less.
View Quote

If you could take a drug that would make you less of a broke loser, would you take it? Or would you just "earn more money?"
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Anna what happens when you stop paying $425 a month or whatever and stop taking it?

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but the reality is harping on self-control hasn't worked for the past 2 or 3 decades.

I'm not sure on the brittle bone thing, no strong evidence either way at this point but some have thought it may actually hit a receptor that can increase bone mass a small amount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scientific article on how GLP1 agonists helps to decrease bone resorption

Here’s a scientific paper on how GLP1s are thought to help maintain bone mass. It’s pretty technical, so people like billth77 won’t be able to understand it, but there is evidence for bone preservation, not resorption, causing brittle bones.

There’s also evidence that these meds may also have cardio protective benefits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anna what happens when you stop paying $425 a month or whatever and stop taking it?

View Quote

What usually happens when you stop treating a chronic disease: it comes back.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you could take a drug that would make you less of a broke loser, would you take it? Or would you just "earn more money?"
View Quote

How does one earn more money? They put in the work and develop a skill that eventually over time gradually earns money.

You want to walk into a bank with an empty sack and just demand it without earning it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve lost 15 pounds in three weeks but not stuffing the hole in my face full of food.  No drug required.  

You have to do Keto for a couple of weeks and get the Keto flu.  Once that dependency on carbs is broken you can get by on two pieces of fruit for breakfast and 500 calories for dinner.  

I’m never hungry.  I fast on the weekdays and eat whatever on weekends.  

Of course that takes a bit of effort on my part.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How does one earn more money? They put in the work and develop a skill that eventually over time gradually earns money.

You want to walk into a bank with an empty sack and just demand it without earning it.
View Quote

So if you could take a pill that would raise your IQ by 40 points (might get you close to double digits), would you take it?

If you could take a pill and instantly learn 5 new languages, would you take it?

If you could take a pill that would put a brand new Bugatti in your garage, would you take it?

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m neither diabetic or overweight but the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the “I need my diabetes medicine” crowd whose lifestyle is obviously to blame almost makes me want to see if my doc will prescribe it to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So if you could take a pill that would raise your IQ by 40 points (might get you close to double digits), would you take it?

If you could take a pill and instantly learn 5 new languages, would you take it?

If you could take a pill that would put a brand new Bugatti in your garage, would you take it?

View Quote

Are they instantaneous and the results last without taking unnecessary medicine for a lifetime?

Do the effects wear off in roughly 12-18 months and I end up ultimately dumber and or worse off in the long run?

What are the unintended consequences? For every advantage there is a corresponding disadvantage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if all the people that say just eat less you don't need any help just stop being fat would also tell an alcoholic to just drink one drink a day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Are they instenous and the results last without taking unnecessary medicine for a lifetime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are they instenous and the results last without taking unnecessary medicine for a lifetime?

Some people keep the weight off, some people gain it back.
Quoted:
Do the effects wear off in roughly 12-18 months and I end up ultimately dumber and or worse off in the long run?

There's no evidence that people are fatter/worse off in the long run once they stop this drug, but even if there was, so what? You're telling me that you wouldn't trade having to take a drug once a week for 40-point increase in IQ?

Quoted:
What are the unintended consequences? For every advantage there is a corresponding disadvantage.

Can you prove that? Or are you talking out your asshole?

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if all the people that say just eat less you don't need any help just stop being fat would also tell an alcoholic to just drink one drink a day.
View Quote

Or broke rednecks that bitch about the price of gas to just eat less just become more valuable to society so they can earn more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m neither diabetic or overweight but the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the “I need my diabetes medicine” crowd whose lifestyle is obviously to blame almost makes me want to see if my doc will prescribe it to me.
View Quote

At $1500/month (for name-brand), I'd be surprised if the stuff doesn't start showing up on Craigslist the way single moms sell their baby's WIC formula.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
would take except sister had thyroid cancer, and warnings explicitly say, dont take if you family has history of thyroid cancer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Huh.

My wife and I just went on a standard, keto style diet.

It's a simple diet.  Cut out all alcohol, sugar, dairy, and oils.  No very little carbs.

Breakfast is 4oz of berries.

Lunch is 1.5 cups of nearly any raw vegetables, salad greens (only dressings with no sugar allowed) and for her 3oz. of lean protein.  I am doing 6oz protein.

Dinner is another 1.5 cups of raw or steamed vegetables, salad greens, and another 3oz. of protein for her and 6oz. protein for me.  

Drink: water only.  Sparkling or plain.  

Supplement with vitamins for nutrients.  

Total calorie intake for her is 800/day, for me it's been about 950/day.

Also, working out 5X per week.  2X week free weights (Squats plus a 20 minute upper body routine) alternate days with 3X walk/run for 30 minutes.  On my lift days, 20g protein shake added.  

We've been on it for three weeks.  I am 6'1" and started at 226.  She is 5'1" and started at 132.  

Three weeks in it, I am down to 196.  She is down to 120.  We are going to break the diet at the end of this week, I intend to be down to 190 for a total weight loss of 36lbs in one month.  Then going forward we will add some of the things we like but cut out (Pizza night, wine, a couple desserts), on Tue/Sa/Su, but staying under our maintenance calorie limit, while retaining this calorie deficit schedule on M/W/Thu.  

In three weeks I've lost 30lbs.  She, 12lbs.  No drugs required.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

the data doesn't indicate that.  I'm not giving up 40% of my gains in exchange for visible abs.  I want a product where I give up NO lean mass.... I mean, a product that isn't Clen, Tren, & Test, cuz I also like being able to get erections.
View Quote

I don't think you can go into a calorie deficit and give up no lean mass - and all this amino acid does is curb hunger to help you into a calorie deficit - how far into that deficit you go is on you.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't think you can go into a calorie deficit and give up no lean mass - and all this amino acid does is curb hunger to help you into a calorie deficit - how far into that deficit you go is on you.

View Quote

A typical diet approach to losing weight is 1-2lbs a week and a 1:4 ratio of lean mass to adipose lost. The data for semaglutides, backed by dexa scans, show 40% of weight lost is lean mass, roughly double what is ideal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Huh.

It's a simple diet.  Cut out all alcohol, sugar, dairy, and oils.  No very little carbs.

Lunch is 1.5 cups of nearly any raw vegetables, salad greens (only dressings with no sugar allowed) and for her 3oz. of lean protein.  I am doing 6oz protein.

Dinner is another 1.5 cups of raw or steamed vegetables, salad greens, and another 3oz. of protein for her and 6oz. protein for me.  

Also, working out 5X per week.  2X week free weights (Squats plus a 20 minute upper body routine) alternate days with 3X walk/run for 30 minutes.  On my lift days, 20g protein shake added.  

We've been on it for three weeks.  I am 6'1" and started at 226.  She is 5'1" and started at 132.  

Three weeks in it, I am down to 196.  She is down to 120.  We are going to break the diet at the end of this week, I intend to be down to 190 for a total weight loss of 36lbs in one month.  Then going forward we will add some of the things we like but cut out (Pizza night, wine, a couple desserts), on Tue/Sa/Su, but staying under our maintenance calorie limit, while retaining this calorie deficit schedule on M/W/Thu.  

View Quote

That seems pretty extreme. I can lose weight on keto with 2500 calories per day. 1500 and fat drops fast. Like at least 1/2 pound daily after the first week of 1 lb per day. This is without exercise but I have a fairly physical job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wasn't asking for any sympathy, guy. I was simply sharing my experience.

I find it hilarious, though, that people with diabetes (most of them fat) are complaining about other fat people for buying "their" drug. But actually, I didn't buy "their" drug, because I got a generic from a compounding pharmacy, while most diabetics are getting name brand, since insurance typically won't cover the generic.

I paid for the stuff just like everybody else. Care to make me a list of other stuff I shouldn't buy because it might inconvenience you?

By the way, non-diabetics have to subsidize the health care costs of diabetics via their insurance premiums, just so you're aware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ozempic and other drugs like it are for Type 2 Diabetes.    It just so happens that they aid in weight loss.  So much so that there is a shortage of the medications.  The medications are prescribed like candy to those that want to use it for weight loss.  My wife has Type 2 Diabetes, and has had to miss dosses due to the local pharmacies being out.   She has to shop the pharmacies to see which one has inventory so her prescription can be filled.   While I hope the OP meets your weight loss goals.  I am sure the OP can understand I will not have any sympathy for you if and when you get all the side effects of the drug.

I wasn't asking for any sympathy, guy. I was simply sharing my experience.

I find it hilarious, though, that people with diabetes (most of them fat) are complaining about other fat people for buying "their" drug. But actually, I didn't buy "their" drug, because I got a generic from a compounding pharmacy, while most diabetics are getting name brand, since insurance typically won't cover the generic.

I paid for the stuff just like everybody else. Care to make me a list of other stuff I shouldn't buy because it might inconvenience you?

By the way, non-diabetics have to subsidize the health care costs of diabetics via their insurance premiums, just so you're aware.

Truth!

People wonder why healthcare is so expensive.  Well, a lot of it is due to healthy people subsidizing healthcare for unhealthy people.  And, the overwhelming majority of unhealthy people got there through their own poor choices.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Huh.

View Quote
I would not call that keto. That also seems extremely low fat and low calorie. Basically starvation diet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#34]
My mom has had good luck with Ozempic
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would not call that keto. That also seems extremely low fat and low calorie. Basically starvation diet.
View Quote

Yes, if you want to lose weight you have to "starve" yourself... That is in fact the reason we store bodyfat, to use during periods of "starvation."

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Getting down to a healthy weight and learning a healthy lifestyle, then weaning off, is the intent. You also have to break the addiction to food and resolve any underlying psychological issues, or it will come right back.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the shit people do to avoid eating healthy and exercising.
They're going to make billions off of this. Users either have to learn to control their eating naturally, or else use wegovy for their entire life.

Getting down to a healthy weight and learning a healthy lifestyle, then weaning off, is the intent. You also have to break the addiction to food and resolve any underlying psychological issues, or it will come right back.

Kharn

Yeah, well about that. Seems Americans aren't interested in work, just pleasure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I stopped eating like a horse and thus lost 30lbs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A typical diet approach to losing weight is 1-2lbs a week and a 1:4 ratio of lean mass to adipose lost. The data for semaglutides, backed by dexa scans, show 40% of weight lost is lean mass, roughly double what is ideal.
View Quote

What's your point? For starters, I'm calling bullshit on the notion that a person went from 300lbs to 200lbs and lost 40lbs of bone mass (because that would be more than their entire godamn skeleton weighs). There's other "lean mass" than just bones, just so you know. But even if they did, are you REALLY going to tell me a person that weighs 300lbs is healthier than a person that weighs 200lbs, but lost the weight on semaglutide?

People that are fat can:

1) Try to lose weight without medical interventions (they've almost all tried and failed multiple times)

2) Just be fat and accept all of the morbidity and decrease in wellbeing

3) Take a drug that will almost certainly lead to them losing a considerable amount of weight

4) Use another medical intervention (surgical).

If a person can do number 1 and be successful, then great. After that, I'll say Option 3 is much better than 2 or 4.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They're going to make billions off of this. Users either have to learn to control their eating naturally, or else use wegovy for their entire life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are already making tons with this being used off label.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Take the drug, don't take the drug. Do whatever you want; jump off a cliff for all I care. The fact that your first assumption is that I'm a shill shows how shitty of a person you likely are.
View Quote

Your immediate defensiveness and attempted attack on my character when all I did was ask for more details tells me everything i need to know about you.  I've dealt with enough shady people in my life to recognize that someone who gets aggressively defensive is  lying and hiding something.  Did you even bother to notice I made statements in support of what Semaglutide can do?  Obviously not because you were too busy trying to come up with ways to insult me.  

Hint: honest people don't immediately attack anyone asking questions.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Modern medicine really fucks up Darwin’s stats.  Too many fatties and genetic weaklings getting drug based  lifelines that they really don’t deserve.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

shows how shitty of a person you likely are.

If you could take a drug that would make you less of a broke loser,

Or are you talking out your asshole?

Or broke rednecks that bitch about the price of gas

View Quote

Wow a 5 day old account already insulting multiple members of the board.  You are off to a good start of your short lived shill account.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Haters going to hate, but I'm a believer.  My wife has been watching this stuff work at her office for about a year and it's pretty incredible.  We both started it back in March and so far it's really helped trim me up.  From 226.8 lbs on March 5th to 213.8 lbs on April 17th.  I'm 6'2" so not really overweight, but have a gut now.  The drug is impressive how it makes you full off half what I would normally eat.  

For us it's great because we no longer do appetizers when we go to eat.  We rarely finish big meals and it makes me try to eat healthy.  Plus, I can barely get a full beer drank.  I tried to drink at a party the other night and finished two beers and was stuffed(Along with the snacks at the party).  

Nothing is perfect though and I try to account for that to make sure I'm not relying on this stuff.  Seeing it work though is more motivation to try to get in shape.  I know I eat healthier already based on trying to help make it work.  

But I will say, the only side effects I have had was constipated a few times and messing up my poop schedule.  Other than that it's been great.  I feel this drug will be HUGE in the future.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That seems pretty extreme. I can lose weight on keto with 2500 calories per day. 1500 and fat drops fast. Like at least 1/2 pound daily after the first week of 1 lb per day. This is without exercise but I have a fairly physical job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh.

I will say this, while it's not a keto diet, based on breath odor we both went into Ketosis about day three, and have basically stayed there.  She is losing weight a lot slower, but she is also in menopause and using bio-identical hormone pellets.  I had what felt like "Keto flu" for the first week real bad and could hardly think straight the first two.  It's pretty clear that my body running mostly off fat reserves being converted back to glycogen or whatever the hell the latest verbiage de jour is.  30 lbs off in four weeks is pretty awesome, and I had to piss like a racehorse every hour for the first three weeks.

I don't want to ever go above 200 again and have a plan for both better fitness, and to monitor my diet better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wow a 5 day old account already insulting multiple members of the board.  You are off to a good start of your short lived shill account.
View Quote

i’m pretty sure it’s just a troll.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey,
Thanks for sharing!
I understand you are excited about this. SWIRE is good people, and has helped a lot of others here in the testosterone megathread.

We've both been on this board a long time. People pop up, try to push a 'thing', then disappear when asked pointed questions.

No doubt GLP-1 targeting therapies are very disruptive right now. Also, you've inadvertently kicked over a hornet's nest on a permanently tied topic, fat people and willpower.

'real men' pride themselves on being able to push through anything, doesn't matter what. Not being able to suck it up and drive it on is one of the lowest, most base sins.

Until you get to a roadblock you just can't beat. For some here it's booze. Or women. Or money. Or... worse.

The argument is difficult, because many who hold that side of the debate also believe 'if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'', and use automatic transmissions, ballistic computers, and advanced devices to give them every possible edge in a lethal confrontation.

It is hard to say where 'be tougher' ends and 'take every advantage' begins for me. I see both sides of it. I am haunted by the cautionary tale 'wall-e', where people float lazily by on hovercouches. I am both entranced by the idea of no work and just float through life, pushing a button for my every whim... and disgusted by it.

It is sort of like bodybuilding drugs. Where do you say this is as far as I can go natural, and it is now time to chem up?

I can't say.

I just wonder what, if anything, is the tradeoff with GLP-1 therapies? Almost every medication has side effects. Some good, some not a big deal unless you have other issues, but some have serious negatives that don't show themselves immediately.

Dunno. We are on the doorstep of gene-based virus-derived absolute best me treatment modalities. Flip all the bad switches off, flip on the long dong and superbrain (and beer belly and... you get the picture). Is this how those sci-fi tales where a beautiful gene altered above ground race and a slobbering, festering mess of below-ground purebreds take hold?

Again, I can't say.

I think GLP-1 treatments are dangerous. They need to be part of a whole-person regimen, not a fat shot and then do what you want. But I love freedom; and this is the scary side of freedom. For now, anyway. See you below ground!

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know, right?  It's all bullshit, just like anti-lock brakes and air bags.  If people would just drive carefully, none of that shit would be necessary.  I'm going to open a driving school where instead of air bag there is going to be a huge spike on the steering wheel.  And no seat belts.  You learn how to drive like a real man, or you die.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I will say this, while it's not a keto diet, based on breath odor we both went into Ketosis about day three, and have basically stayed there.  She is losing weight a lot slower, but she is also in menopause and using bio-identical hormone pellets.  I had what felt like "Keto flu" for the first week real bad and could hardly think straight the first two.  It's pretty clear that my body running mostly off fat reserves being converted back to glycogen or whatever the hell the latest verbiage de jour is.  30 lbs off in four weeks is pretty awesome, and I had to piss like a racehorse every hour for the first three weeks.

I don't want to ever go above 200 again and have a plan for both better fitness, and to monitor my diet better.
View Quote
keto people put butter in their coffee.

You may be going into ketosis, but what you described doesn't sound keto, like was suggested, it sounds very starvation march-y. I'm not sure how many doctors would sign off on a sub-1k meal plan for people new to changing their eating and exercise regimens. Another clue for me is your need to pee so frequently, that kind of suggests a great deal of water loss.

Cool you can do it though!

Me:

I have no bell that tells me I am full. I am like a dog, and can eat until I am sick. I don't know why. lately I have been binging the shit out of things. Won't eat, then when I hit that first fork, Katie bar the door, you're locked in here with me now.

If I keep busy, I can sort of forget to eat a meal. But then I over make up for it at the next.

I am struggling with a lot of things at the moment; no excuses, it's on me, but, here I sit.

I tried Ozempic. Got a script, no problem. Could not get the insurance to write off on it. Strange, they wanted me to fail metformin at 1500mg before they would consider it. (Funny, i had to be taken off metformin this very month).

Managed to get some ozempic; made me sick as shit constantly. Throwing up all the time. Backed off the dosage to a microlevel; still was sick and lethargic. Did not have an aversion to food, at all. Did not have any less desire to eat; never felt 'not hungry', even after eating. Just constantly sick, so then I started doing more research. I, if you can believe those fat scales (and my fat watch) was losing lean muscle.

Then I read this thread, and I quit taking the stuff. Quit being sick, have not changed how I feel about eating, body weight is about the same (I don't really go by body weight but the percentage of fat to muscle to water).

I am fat.

No whining... I'm fat. I love eating, but it doesn't love me. There's more to it, but that's essentially it. Thought I'd share.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I know, right?  It's all bullshit, just like anti-lock brakes and air bags.  If people would just drive carefully, none of that shit would be necessary.  I'm going to open a driving school where instead of air bag there is going to be a huge spike on the steering wheel.  And no seat belts.  You learn how to drive like a real man, or you die.
View Quote

This post makes no sense.

improving a vehicle is more akin to improving fitness.

using drugs to lose weight is more like saying "my car doesn't need to have good tires, good brakes or safety systems, I just made it weigh less by cutting pieces out of the frame"

Improving fitness will have a host of other benifits.

this drug, will just make you lose some weight (and muscle mass, and bone mass) while you keep paying to take it (then it will come right back)... just so you can shove chips in your face.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This post makes no sense.

improving a vehicle is more akin to improving fitness.

using drugs to lose weight is more like saying "my car doesn't need to have good tires, good brakes or safety systems, I just made it weigh less by cutting pieces out of the frame"

Improving fitness will have a host of other benifits.

this drug, will just make you lose some weight (and muscle mass, and bone mass) while you keep paying to take it (then it will come right back)... just so you can shove chips in your face.
View Quote

If you keep taking you will not "keep shoving chips in your face".  And by the way - losing weight by eating less will make you lose muscle mass and bone mass.  That's just what body does when you lose weight, it's not unique to Ozempic.  Let me quote:
"Dietary energy restriction causes weight loss and provides powerful protection against many chronic diseases. However, the catabolic state induced by calorie restriction not only affects fat tissue but it also causes undesirable catabolism of other tissues, including skeletal muscle, heart, liver, and kidney (3); many of these changes could have important functional and/or physiologic ramifications. Skeletal muscle mass decreases during weight loss from dietary restriction (2, 17), which reduces muscle strength (26) and resting metabolic rate (13). Calorie restriction causes bone loss (7, 23), which may increase fracture risk (8). Cardiac mass appears to decrease during calorie restriction (3), which may reduce maximal cardiac output and aerobic capacity."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5161655/

Oh noes, better not lose weight by eating less, I guess.  

Can that be prevented? Yes, by exercising during weight loss (Ozempic-caused or otherwise).  

But it's definitely a question of willpower.  The thing is, there are other things in my life which require willpower. Like being 6'1", for example.  Some people just don't have the willpower to be taller then average, and some people do.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top