BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rain on a fire scar can quickly turn into a 100 year flood.
Burned soil becomes hydrophobic and the water moves over the terrain like it is going down a water slide

those of you in the area keep your heads on a swivel and stay safe
View Quote

Oregonians have webbed feet and can float.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

When we visited my bro, my dad observed that it doesn't rain as much as it drips continually. This was a long ago, late September.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

When we visited my bro, my dad observed that it doesn't rain as much as it drips continually. This was a long ago, late September.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 months of drizzle, light rain, fog, and occasional heavy rain. Sometimes, freezing rain.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If anyone needed any help believing these fires aren't natural, look at the difference a day makes:

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If anyone needed any help believing these fires aren't natural, look at the difference a day makes:

https://i.postimg.cc/QNS4FRC0/image.png
View Quote

Again, there was a significant wind storm on Labor Day night, concentrated in the areas that burned.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Again, there was a significant wind storm on Labor Day night, concentrated in the areas that burned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people don't realize how fast a wildfire can run.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm near Stayton and last night I think we got at least an inch of rain over the course of about an hour.  What was really crazy was the amount of lightning flashes.  In one ten minute period I counted nearly 100.  Over the full 40 minutes that the lightning lasted I saw more lightning flashes than any storm in my life by orders of magnitude.  For those not familiar with this area, a storm with 20 lightning flashes is considered a pretty impressive one around here.
View Quote

I had to laugh.  

Last week we had a storm that produced 50-70 lightning strokes per minute for about an hour and a half.

I love this website for tracking lightning.

Glad you guys are getting the rain.  Hopefully, it'll dampen/put out the fires.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There sure have been a lot of "wind storms" arrested in those areas for arson.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wind storms can fan the flames but they don't just spontaneously ignite fires. You can verify from the satellite images there were no fires in the area preceding the wind storm. You can also verify on lightning tracker sites that there was no lightning in the area for at least the preceding week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was woken up at 3:20am and witnessed the heaviest rain even in Oregon, 50 years in this state. Lot of lightning and thunder. Got some vid below.
Here is the satellite image I grabbed last night. I'm close to the pin and it was headed South to North.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/Screenshot_20200918-034039_WeatherBug_jp-1596621.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8EaQIR7Po
View Quote

Shit, it looks like most of it missed the fires.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nah.  I've lived in Oregon since '94.  This isn't so uncommon.  We get wind and rain storms every fall and sometimes in spring.

I've got pictures of my daughters barefoot in the street dancing around in a few inches of water because the drains can't drain fast enough to make up for the downpour, and we see rain like that a few times a year.  We are just a bit outside of Portland.

An inch of rain in a few hours?  Not that strange, but definitely timely!

Then there was the year where we had rain for 90 days straight...
View Quote

1996? Where they closed a bridge & down town flooded up to 4th or 5th?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
IR maps look much better today.

I did notice three fires with interesting names.
Since they are named separate from Beachie and Riverside are they a spin off or unique?

Dowty Rd
   Unger Rd
   Wilhoit Rd
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

5 months of drizzle, light rain, fog, and occasional heavy rain. Sometimes, freezing rain.
View Quote

5 months? LOL. Better check those rose colored glasses.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah.  I've lived in Oregon since '94.  This isn't so uncommon.  We get wind and rain storms every fall and sometimes in spring.

I've got pictures of my daughters barefoot in the street dancing around in a few inches of water because the drains can't drain fast enough to make up for the downpour, and we see rain like that a few times a year.  We are just a bit outside of Portland.

This is the Tualatin River in Cook Park. The sign you see in the middle left is the height of the '96 flood.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The sheriffs and police chiefs involved with the southern Oregon fires have come out and said they were lit intentionally.

Same thing with the officers in Clackamas.

It's confirmed arson, but "there's no links to any specific groups."
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
So glad for it to have rained.   But wish I wasn't at work when it did.   No sleep for me.     Chasing imaginary lightning strikes and power poles on fire all night.

Out of this whole mess, I've racked up 100 hours of overtime in 9 days.   I'm tired, crabby, and still at work.

All the crews are back from the fire line.   So no more ot :)
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]

At first I thought he survived in the river with a chair and a bear...

And the good times he could have had.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wind storms can fan the flames but they don't just spontaneously ignite fires. You can verify from the satellite images there were no fires in the area preceding the wind storm. You can also verify on lightning tracker sites that there was no lightning in the area for at least the preceding week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were no fires until the windstorm knocked down power lines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
11 fucking days of smoke, friends running around with their trailers avoiding fires, and a deluge of rain last night...1.5" of rain in a one fucking hour, lightning, thunder..

But today after work.  SUN
Thank you Jesus...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The sheriffs and police chiefs involved with the southern Oregon fires have come out and said they were lit intentionally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are different fires.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lions head and Beachie Creek fires started 3 weeks earlier when a thunderstorm went through. Because the state did not respond heavily to them, a wind storm blew them into huge fires that killed people and destroyed property later.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Flew out of PDX to this sight. Thank God:

Attachment Attached File

A lot of devastation as we flew south though
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So glad for it to have rained.   But wish I wasn't at work when it did.   No sleep for me.     Chasing imaginary lightning strikes and power poles on fire all night.

Out of this whole mess, I've racked up 100 hours of overtime in 9 days.   I'm tired, crabby, and still at work.

All the crews are back from the fire line.   So no more ot :)
View Quote

Everyone I ran into today was soooo glad for the rain..

RAIN!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lions head and Beachie Creek fires started 3 weeks earlier when a thunderstorm went through. Because the state did not respond heavily to them, a wind storm blew them into huge fires that killed people and destroyed property later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right. My bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Of course fire bugs were out doing their thing, too. That's what happens when you already have intense fires and a red flag warning goes out about extreme fire danger.

Quoted:

Wind storms can fan the flames but they don't just spontaneously ignite fires.

Funny, I personally saw two fires start from my house that night that were a direct result of the windstorm, both caused by trees falling in power lines, one high voltage and one low voltage service drop to a house. Called 911 on both of them and one of them I ran towards with a fire extinguisher. They've already said 13 fires near Detroit were ignited by power lines.

And besides arson and wind-caused, I'm sure some were accidental, I'd bet the Big Hollow fire burning here in SW WA was started from an unattended campfire as there are no power lines where it started. Being it was labor day, someone probably headed home from camping that day and didn't fully extinguish their fire (there was no campfire ban in the Gifford Pinchot NF yet), wind picked up that evening and started a forest fire that was detected early next morning. Arson with the intent to burn people's shit in that location makes no sense, it's waaay away from civilization, if someone was looking to burn people's shit, they would have started it at the west end where it's a way shorter drive and actually close to people's homes, had that been the case my parent's house would probably be ash right now.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Of course fire bugs were out doing their thing, too. That's what happens when you already have intense fires and a red flag warning goes out about extreme fire danger.

Funny, I personally saw two fires start from my house that night that were a direct result of the windstorm, both caused by trees falling in power lines, one high voltage and one low voltage service drop to a house. Called 911 on both of them and one of them I ran towards with a fire extinguisher. They've already said 13 fires near Detroit were ignited by power lines.

And besides arson and wind-caused, I'm sure some were accidental, I'd bet the Big Hollow fire burning here in SW WA was started from an unattended campfire as there are no power lines where it started. Being it was labor day, someone probably headed home from camping that day and didn't fully extinguish their fire (there was no campfire ban in the Gifford Pinchot NF yet), wind picked up that evening and started a forest fire that was detected early next morning. Arson with the intent to burn people's shit in that location makes no sense, it's waaay away from civilization, if someone was looking to burn people's shit, they would have started it at the west end where it's a way shorter drive and actually close to people's homes, had that been the case my parent's house would probably be ash right now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you've done it. They'll be along shortly to cancel your culture.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bald Peak fire was started by a campfire on private property.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was woken up at 3:20am and witnessed the heaviest rain even in Oregon, 50 years in this state. Lot of lightning and thunder. Got some vid below.
Here is the satellite image I grabbed last night. I'm close to the pin and it was headed South to North.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/Screenshot_20200918-034039_WeatherBug_jp-1596621.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8EaQIR7Po
View Quote

I was up at where the fire started for the last several days.  A little rain came down over night and one short downpour Friday afternoon but not to the extent of Portland and Eugene
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I think the saying is that we don't get wet so much as we rust...

Even on most days with rain, it's a drizzle and there are usually hours when you can go out and walk around dry.  If you get caught on the other side of the neighborhood in a sudden downpour, well, that's just par for the course!
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I think the 90 days of rain was more recent that that, sometime in the last 10 years, I remember reading about it in the news (which I probably wasn't reading in 1996, as I was in grad school with my head down).  But I do remember the flooding.  IIRC, there were some floating houses got loose that year...
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
11 fucking days of smoke, friends running around with their trailers avoiding fires, and a deluge of rain last night...1.5" of rain in a one fucking hour, lightning, thunder..

But today after work.  SUN
Thank you Jesus...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74443/sun_JPG-1598246.JPG
View Quote
Amen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Probably because the fire was spotted on 16AUG and 3 weeks later it was under 500 acres and is now almost 200k acres.  Nyquist is one the chief influencers for the litigation against the state for its mismanagement of county-owned forests the state took control of decades ago. He's a rarity in politics.
View Quote

One of the things people are missing here is that these older fires were still burning for one important reason. They were in very rough mountain terrain, in the middle of a wilderness area. Beachie Creek was inside the Opal Creek Wilderness(created in 1996).

For those not familiar with what a Wilderness is in the US, it is an area declared by the government where no motorized vehicles are allowed and human interaction is severely limited. Off-trail travel prohibited, access to trailheads has a daily quota and permits are required to enter, and there is a party size limit as well. I ran into this while helping out on a search team, where you are only allowed to have up to 12 people or animals, and if multiple groups are out there they have to be spaced out an insane distance.

My thought is that there needs to be a MAJOR push to override or eliminate entirely these rules when it comes to firefighting or life safety incidents.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sister is part of the 'official' narrative, I turned the scanner up during all of this.  We're not talking, currently.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One of the things people are missing here is that these older fires were still burning for one important reason. They were in very rough mountain terrain, in the middle of a wilderness area. Beachie Creek was inside the Opal Creek Wilderness(created in 1996).

For those not familiar with what a Wilderness is in the US, it is an area declared by the government where no motorized vehicles are allowed and human interaction is severely limited. Off-trail travel prohibited, access to trailheads has a daily quota and permits are required to enter, and there is a party size limit as well. I ran into this while helping out on a search team, where you are only allowed to have up to 12 people or animals, and if multiple groups are out there they have to be spaced out an insane distance.

My thought is that there needs to be a MAJOR push to override or eliminate entirely these rules when it comes to firefighting or life safety incidents.
View Quote

The 'King's' land, and all of that.  A lot of shit needs to be changed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#36]
How’s Canada doing?  Is their fire season like ours or does global warming stop at the border.?  Their forest management needs to be implemented in the US.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would not have been ‘96 for continuous rain.  I remember the flooding and landslides quite well, since I very nearly was killed by them.  The rain came fast for a few days, the snow caps melted, rivers flooded, unstable land gave way in every location it could.  

After 96, it took about 15 years before we really had more landslide issues again in a major way, because everything had let go in ‘96...

Anyhow- it poured here, which was good as it was tinder dry.  Also knocked down the smoke and blew it mostly away.  Two weeks of fog thick smoke is more than enough.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How’s Canada doing?  Is their fire season like ours or does global warming stop at the border.?  Their forest management needs to be implemented in the US.
View Quote

They have some fires as seen on the map below, but not as many for reasons in the news link.    The meme about this stopping at the border is beyond stupid.

https://nationalpost.com/news/as-much-of-u-s-burns-western-canada-has-quieter-than-usual-wildfire-season-due-to-rain-and-covid-lockdowns

Fun fact, the hotspots are all identified by US satellites.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My sister is part of the 'official' narrative, I turned the scanner up during all of this.  We're not talking, currently.

View Quote

My sister and mother believe it's totally global warming and that we need a revolution now that RBG is dead.

Not talking to them, either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My sister and mother believe it's totally global warming and that we need a revolution now that RBG is dead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad....
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I’m hearing second- and third-hand that ODOT is going to keep Hwy 22 closed from Gates to the Y until some undetermined time in 2021.  If that’s true, good luck, Hoodoo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I’m hearing second- and third-hand that ODOT is going to keep Hwy 22 from Gates to the Y until some undetermined time in 2021.  If that’s true, good luck, Hoodoo.
View Quote

I’m assuming the missing word is “closed“.  What’s their concern?  Heat related road damage?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sad....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad....

My sister is down there fighting the fires.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I’m assuming the missing word is “closed“.  What’s their concern?  Heat related road damage?
View Quote

Yes, good catch.  I fixed it, thanks.  

Their concern is trees falling into the roadway, mudslides, rock slides, and boulders falling into the road.  Last week ODOT posted that they estimated the number of trees in danger of falling into the roadway on Hwy 22 alone was in the hundreds of thousands.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m hearing second- and third-hand that ODOT is going to keep Hwy 22 closed from Gates to the Y until some undetermined time in 2021.  If that’s true, good luck, Hoodoo.
View Quote

I'm dreading the day when I have to drive Highway 22 and the Santiam Canyon again. I'm sure it will be a very depressing and sobering experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Their concern is trees falling into the roadway, mudslides, rock slides, and boulders falling into the road.  Last week ODOT posted that they estimated the number of trees in danger of falling into the roadway on Hwy 22 alone was in the hundreds of thousands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting... I was travelling the Highway 20 Santiam pass frequently when the Wildfire on Santiam pass happened in 2003 They had the road open relatively quickly after that fire.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Are ther any Official ODOT updates on this?  I know they where letting people up to Deytoit this week to check on home and pick up boats .
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've always been marginal even with the highway open. That was the first place I ever skied and later worked there for a couple seasons while living in Sisters.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Went for a drive with the Mrs. on Monday night to check out the fire area that was closes to me (Dowtey Road). About 12 miles way.

Here is the dash cam footage.
- Start at 2:00 min but definitely watch at 3:50
- Saw about six homes destroyed
- Not certain what all the cars are doing at the 2:00 mark, clean up?, It is a park on the Clackamas called Bonnie Lure.

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top