Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a subtle reminder that the states are fully owned and controlled by the federal government and when they don't want to be anymore and decide to leave, they aren't free to do so. The feds will then invade, kill you 'for your own good' and the winner gets to write the history books.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For reference, I lived in GA for nearly a decade.

If I see it down south, I think nothing of it.  I saw enough black folk with it on their porch or Black Sons of the Confederacy doing demonstrations with it to know there is zero association to color for many.

If I see it up north, like here in PA, I assume you're white trash and moved here from NJ or NY.
View Quote

I identify as a southerner so I'm good
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Born and raised and lived in the south most of my life.
I would never fly one but don’t think anyone should be banned from doing so.

In 2023 though, regardless of what it means it invites trouble on you and I wouldn’t.

Just like how even though i have right of way walking across a street I wouldn’t do so during rush hour.
View Quote

Like white skin, Christianity or heterosexuality — best to just hide your true colors.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I smile, wave, then think back to when men held a strong belief in their land, their property, their freedom, their culture, themselves and actually had the balls to resort to violence when threatened on it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Like white skin, Christianity or heterosexuality — best to just hide your true colors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Born and raised and lived in the south most of my life.
I would never fly one but don’t think anyone should be banned from doing so.

In 2023 though, regardless of what it means it invites trouble on you and I wouldn’t.

Just like how even though i have right of way walking across a street I wouldn’t do so during rush hour.

Even a Christmas tree can invite trouble
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Southern pride... I may give southerners shit for losing, but I won't object to their rights to display and honor their heritage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually just think "southern heritage, and proud." Racist? Probably not, but they wont be at no BLM rally either.

First impressions are a thing, but I like to reserve judgment until I actually interact with people and get a feel for who they are.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've lived in NC all my life, and grew up in a rural area.  For years I believed in the "heritage not hate" philosophy.  Where you're a proud southerner, but you still want equitable treatment of all people.

Then I saw a post on Twitter that changed my view.  A girl posted an analogy...   How would it look if an American with German ancestry flew the Nazi flag and defended it by saying: "It's my heritage?"

I know, CSA/Nazi German isn't Apples to Apples, but you get the point.  I don't display the CSA flag anymore.
View Quote

I'm sorry your constitution is so weak that a liberal female on Twitter swayed you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Grew up in GA 60's and 70's and the kids I hung around viewed it as a redneck thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ironic, the south fought (for the state's rights) to keep their slaves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The north is full of racists

Some did.

Some fought for a fort that was seized.
Some fought because they felt they were invaded.
Some fought because their fathers told them to.
Some fought because their fathers told them not to.
Some fought because they didn't have a father and fighting for their mom & siblings was an obligation.
Some fought because they like fighting.
Some fought because it gave them purpose.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not offended by it, but why display your support for Democrats?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Never give it a second thought....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LoL

If the north fought to end slavery, why were they the last to give up their slaves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The north is full of racists

LoL

If the north fought to end slavery, why were they the last to give up their slaves?

See — winners get to write the history books...
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
At first I didn't care one way or the other. However the more the other side wants to shut them down the more I want to keep them up
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Don't care is the answer. It has no impact on my life.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The same people who jumped on the Confederate flag are now saying you can’t fly the police blue line flags…I long ago gave up giving a f what they think…
View Quote

Philadelphia tore down one statue of an ex-mayor, and is trying to tear down a Columbus statue because it has never once been about eradicating symbols of the Civil War

What communists claim is an issue and what is the real issue are two usually completely opposite things.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not offended by it at all, every time I see one I chuckle and wonder why they are not flying the true flag of the South, the white flag of surrender.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45990/rrb2_jpg-2687107.JPG

@jagdkommando

Oddly enough, the south knew the war was over before it even began, yet they fought anyway. Principles are a helluvathing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#19]
In Dallas there's a high school who's mascot was the Rebels. Thomas Jefferson HS used to have the confederate battle flag on their football helmets. Now they're something else.

In Frisco, TX, the high school mascot used to be the Coons. But raccoons are racist so they changed their mascot also.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#20]
ANYTHING that pisses the leftist off, is fine by me. Let her fly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It has nothing to do with bigotry, or racism.
View Quote

^yup

A few neighbors have it up. I have a flagpole, but mostly I keep the Dont tread on me flag on it, or the stars n stripes. I just don't care.

Now, if there was a racist flag, like BLM or "I hate N***ers or something, yes I'd care. But celebrating southern heritage that has nothing to do with races, no biggie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I always thought "YEE HAW!!!"

IOW no big deal until someone had to try and ruin my childhood memories.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#23]
It's quite popular around here.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Confederates were Democrats.  

I despise Democrats.  

But not a big deal to me.  

But on the other hand I'm for states rights.  Eff the fed dot gov crime syndicate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#25]
my first immediate thought is - there is a redneck  - you asked.  I equate it really closely with bull balls hanging down off the hitch on a truck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
With the exception of recent woke trends most folks I know feel proud by it.  But most folks I know see it as a symbol of the south and pride and nothing to do with racism…
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't care. Its history.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I more offended by the perpetually offended that want to tear anything down that offends them
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
With the exception of recent woke trends most folks I know feel proud by it.  But most folks I know see it as a symbol of the south and pride and nothing to do with racism…
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Here in the vicinity of Jefferson Davis Highway, Robert E. Lee elementary school, four major battlefields, a few Confederate and Union cemeteries, and trenches and cannon pits still in existence, the Confederate flag appears to be right at home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#32]
For the first time in my adult life, I was proud of my country.

~Big Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I doesn't bother me nor do I care if someone flies it. I live in the deep south and if you ask about it most folks around here it is all about being from the south.  Hell I have on a few occasions seen POC wearing it and flying it. It means different things to different people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL. Betting CRT is taught to your children with your consent.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't feel anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I look at it as a marker in the same way some fly Nazi and white supremicist flags. It's just good to know who they are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
1) You are not responsible for someone's hurt feelings.

2) I've seen enough black folks who fly it that it doesn't represent racism to me.

3) You are not responsible for someone's hurt feelings.

4) Stop allowing the left to erase history. No different from holocaust deniers. It happened. Learn from it. Move forward in a better world.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I dont feel any type of way, If anything I might assume the owner doesn't know history very well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I see it more in the NW than I did when I lived in the south.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lots of people seem offended and want it torn down. I’m not from the south originally but when I do see it I’m not offended at all. I know young Americans died on both sides. I don’t think it should be erased from history or banned. Call me a racist,I don’t care. Woketards think they can just erase history.
View Quote

Proud.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I always thought it was American to fly the flag. I looked at it as a sign of the (former) diversity of America
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Whether you like it or not, it's a sign that we still live in a free country.

Freedom of speech also includes possibly unpopular opinions that come from a minority.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Born and spent most of my life in Alabama, except for the 22 I gave to my uncle (Sam). My grandfather died in 1983, born in 1917 and he showed me a letter from his grandfather that I have never forgotten. It was basically a snapshot of some of my grandfather's uncles and said that some fought on both sides during the Civil War but reiterated that all were good men of sound reputation. When I occasionally go to my great-grandfather's grave in Gurley, Alabama, I see the simple headstones marked "CSA" and adorned with Confederate flags. I get the heritage part and why it is important to folks. My uncle gave me a Confederate flag when I was a kid, he brought it back from the Smokies. I still have it 50 years later. I don't fly it, but I respect the man. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't feel anything for colorful pieces of cloth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#48]
#THIS
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I agree. I’m never upset when people sort themselves out for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#50]
It’s unfortunate that confederate symbology was hijacked by racist organizations.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top