Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't care ( goes in shed looks at two Honda gen sets an fuel cell...Snickers).
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a lot more truth in that than in the OP's bullshit.  But also the problem is so big that nobody knows how to pay for fixing it.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/1/17800358/california-mendocino-wildfire-dead-trees
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's no need. PG&E quit doing preventative maintenance on power lines in the mid 1980's as a cost-cutting measure, so now blackouts are included in their terms of service contracts.
There's a lot more truth in that than in the OP's bullshit.  But also the problem is so big that nobody knows how to pay for fixing it.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/1/17800358/california-mendocino-wildfire-dead-trees
It's the truth. I remember when they did it in 1985 or so. One year, you saw crews replacing poles, lines and transformers as part of a regular maintenance schedule, and the next year, they start showing up only when something breaks.

The ugly side effect is you have more days of blackouts. And they don't really even fix the problem. They slap on a patch and it breaks again in a year.

We had an hour-long blackout this afternoon. Not one of those planned blackouts like up in the Sierra foothills today, but a regular blackout from faulty power lines and transformers. A "regular blackout." Think about that for a minute.

My subdivision is old and we have above-ground power lines. Since PG&E stopped performing maintenance, it's been a shitshow to live around here.

We experience regular blackouts year-round now. They used to only occur after a major Winter storm when the lines blew down. But since PG&E stopped performing regular scheduled maintenance, the blackout now occur year-round. Nice cool Spring day, no wind, and a blackout.

Greedy cocksuckers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
what is interesting, is that I looked around some north bay tv stations for any human interest stories on people dealing with the power outage a while ago, and didn't see any....

I wonder if they will start doing stories on it, when the outage extends to a bigger population of people
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what is interesting, is that I looked around some north bay tv stations for any human interest stories on people dealing with the power outage a while ago, and didn't see any....

I wonder if they will start doing stories on it, when the outage extends to a bigger population of people
View Quote
It impacted so few people down there, it won’t make news. Not when there is Trump to hate.

They don’t care about the potential 26,000 in the foothills.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
View Quote
Lol, wtf!??
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmm.  I just watched the Chernobyl series.  That was a state run power plant too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what is going to happen when the people get fed up with the power outages and Gov Newsome announces that the State will seize and take over running of the power companies to fix it?
Hmmm.  I just watched the Chernobyl series.  That was a state run power plant too.
Technically, all base utility companies are at least quasi-state run entities. Electric, gas, and water, sometimes waste disposal. Many are just straight up state (Municipal, or county- small S state) entities. Almost, if not all, have limits on profits. They have to request a utilities board of some kind for rate changes. If they exceed their limits on profits because of some beneficent conditions, in any given period, they often have to return them in some fashion, such as rebates or rate reductions. They have to provide services to customers that actually lose money, in many cases. They are almost always by law prohibited from accumulating liquid cash reserves during the good times to cover unforeseen existential situations, like storms and earthquakes and fires. Many are required to provide a minimum dividend on stocks. They cannot just go bankrupt and cease operations because it isn't worth it. They can go bankrupt in a sort of legal ethereal sense, but they can't just stop.

This is because there's no competition possible. You have to buy electricity from whoever sells electricity where you live. There's no realistic way you can start "Fred's Electrical!" to compete. It's a monopoly sort of inevitably and irrevocably.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd bet Nancy Pelosi's house fortress has plenty of electricity.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If we shut down the roads, we can cut car accidents down to zero!
View Quote
That's why safety is really always job #3, because #1 is do the thing, @2 is do the thing in a way that makes it worth doing, in terms of profit and such, and then #3 is do it as safely as possible, which overlaps with #2, because you can lose all the profits in court if you fuck up stupidly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd bet Nancy Pelosi's house fortress has plenty of electricity.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Underground lines would be extraordinarily expensive. Especially in a place the size of California. There’s also the problem of people hitting them while doing excavations and what not.

Also when they have a fault (and they do fault) it’s much more difficult to locate. PG&E is in a tough spot it seems.

<————substation guy.
View Quote
There are places in CA that move an inch a year and more. Remember quasi-state entities. They can't just up and spend fifty years to recoup the money projects. That's TVA stuff.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was expecting more resistance. impedance.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Was going to post something along these lines.  Seems safer to me to have power flowing through power lines than thousands of people firing up generators to get them through the outage.  
View Quote
That don't befun PG&E. From their vantage, you can't sue PG&E for your port-o-gen mishap, so suck it. I side with them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Technically, all base utility companies are at least quasi-state run entities. Electric, gas, and water, sometimes waste disposal. Many are just straight up state (Municipal, or county- small S state) entities. Almost, if not all, have limits on profits. They have to request a utilities board of some kind for rate changes. If they exceed their limits on profits because of some beneficent conditions, in any given period, they often have to return them in some fashion, such as rebates or rate reductions. They have to provide services to customers that actually lose money, in many cases. They are almost always by law prohibited from accumulating liquid cash reserves during the good times to cover unforeseen existential situations, like storms and earthquakes and fires. Many are required to provide a minimum dividend on stocks. They cannot just go bankrupt and cease operations because it isn't worth it. They can go bankrupt in a sort of legal ethereal sense, but they can't just stop.

This is because there's no competition possible. You have to buy electricity from whoever sells electricity where you live. There's no realistic way you can start "Fred's Electrical!" to compete. It's a monopoly sort of inevitably and irrevocably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what is going to happen when the people get fed up with the power outages and Gov Newsome announces that the State will seize and take over running of the power companies to fix it?

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 40 years and I cannot recall a single instance where the California PUC denied PG&E their proposed rate increase.

The California PUC is owned by the power companies.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What good will they be when you can't pump the gas out of the gas tanks.  
View Quote
I can make a gas pump run easily with a 500W inverter. Not an issue. 20 minutes with a stripper and an ass't terminals box, and zero damage.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
regarding the clearing of vegetation from around the power line corridors

there are distances and heights around the power lines that pg&e are allowed to cut to. the problem is, there are many areas where

1 - communities around the power lines don't like pg&e from clear cutting the corridors because 'the trees provide beauty and enhance property values'
2 - the areas around some of the corridors have trees much higher than the cutting easement, so if they fall, they will pull down the power lines anyway
3 - there is more miles of corridors they have to maintain than what they can afford to fund, based on what charges they can pass on to customers by the utility rate commission

and most importantly, the heavily forested areas around the power line corridors have lots of fuel loads that have not been cleared for years, due to tree cutting and lumbering restrictions. don't allow people to cut forested areas or clear the underbrush, means lots more to burn in a lot of areas, and as they die, you get  a lot of dead timber that builds up and isn't cleared away.

prescribed burns would decrease some of this fuel load, and clear away a lot of fuel, but there are air quality restrictions on how much and when you can burn, so much of the stuff never gets permitted to be burned.

over the years, instead of fires that can be easily managed, you get fire that breaks out, becoming huge wildfires, because of how much fuel there is to burn.

pg&e was ordered to do an extensive clearing and inspection of it's lines and corridors. at the beginning of the year, pg&e complained, citing this

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/pge-says-it-might-have-to-quintuple-rates-if-forced-to-clear-trees.html

alsup in april ordered pg&e to cease issuing dividends, and direct all funds toward implementing this vegetation management plan.

basically, alsup will end up driving pg&e into further forms of bankruptcy until it broken up and sold off
View Quote
Ok 150 thousand million is absurd. You can stop reading at that. WWII didn't cost that much in inflation adjusted dollars.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the truth. I remember when they did it in 1985 or so. One year, you saw crews replacing poles, lines and transformers as part of a regular maintenance schedule, and the next year, they start showing up only when something breaks.

The ugly side effect is you have more days of blackouts. And they don't really even fix the problem. They slap on a patch and it breaks again in a year.

We had an hour-long blackout this afternoon. Not one of those planned blackouts like up in the Sierra foothills today, but a regular blackout from faulty power lines and transformers. A "regular blackout." Think about that for a minute.

My subdivision is old and we have above-ground power lines. Since PG&E stopped performing maintenance, it's been a shitshow to live around here.

We experience regular blackouts year-round now. They used to only occur after a major Winter storm when the lines blew down. But since PG&E stopped performing regular scheduled maintenance, the blackout now occur year-round. Nice cool Spring day, no wind, and a blackout.

Greedy cocksuckers.
View Quote
Whoa Tex. You're blaming the wrong guy, like a guy in a traffic jam getting mad at the car in front of him. See my earlier posts above. This isn't Walmart or Google. Its a pubic [sic] utility. They can't use rational free market schemes, by law.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 40 years and I cannot recall a single instance where the California PUC denied PG&E their proposed rate increase.

View Quote
Maybe so, but doesn't refute my argument. PG&E is, like every other power company in this country, a bastard forced marriage of government and industry. It's a legal monopoly that opens the door wide to graft, incompetence, corruption and fuckery.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shut off SoCal's power, too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
And, I don't see a solution. People have to have electricity, and there's only one place to get it in any given location.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Somehow they managed to provide power to california for decades. Either global warming is real, or this is the rolling blackouts part of transitioning to a 3rd world country
View Quote
Russian narrative stronk.

They're just risk averse after the last shit show and blame.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#24]
All I know about PG&E is that I bought when they were around $8 and sold at $20. I saw that they were to big to fail and would be propped up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All I know about PG&E is that I bought when they were around $8 and sold at $20. I saw that they were to big to fail and would be propped up.
View Quote
All base utilities fit that definition.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#26]
PG&E is announcing that huge areas with lots of people will be without lights, electricity, and phone service?  
It's so nice of them to give the bad hombres time to mobilize for raping/looting/pillaging during the outage.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I predict an increase in on-demand NG or propane gennys.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you a wizard?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
If enough people take that route, California will make it illegal, for the children. You can't just let people solve things willy-nilly, when you've arranged an artificial catastrophe in furtherance of an agenda.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whoa Tex. You're blaming the wrong guy, like a guy in a traffic jam getting mad at the car in front of him. See my earlier posts above. This isn't Walmart or Google. Its a pubic [sic] utility. They can't use rational free market schemes, by law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greedy cocksuckers.
Regular scheduled maintenance is not allowed? How did they manage it for decades prior to the 1980's?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe so, but doesn't refute my argument. PG&E is, like every other power company in this country, a bastard forced marriage of government and industry. It's a legal monopoly that opens the door wide to graft, incompetence, corruption and fuckery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall arguing with you about anything.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't recall arguing with you about anything.
View Quote
Not argument in the sense of fighting, argument in the sense of here's a propositional assertion. No hostility implied among the rational people.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Regular scheduled maintenance is not allowed? How did they manage it for decades prior to the 1980's?
View Quote
I don't know about allowed, but I bet the rationale had much less to do with greed and capitalism than with follow the regs to the letter and make sure we can't be held liable. It's not like PG&E can just quit. you understand that? You also know that attributing all flails to greed perfectly conforms to a communist narrative?

Let's say every single member of the managerial staff of PG&E is an evil greedy bastard in it only for maximum money and we can just execute them and replace with beneficent state personnel. How you think that will go? It sure worked for Stalin with the Kulaks, hey?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#35]
You can view the current PG&E outage areas here.  
https://m.pge.com/#outages
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#36]
CA is the closest to a complete top down authority structure in the USA today. Arguably. That's exactly how you get Chernobyl's. The ignorant leading the masses of the blind into the ditches with no input from the ditch diggers.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I bet the soup kitchens and hobo central will have power. Oh and of course the beautiful people of LA.

Fuck Cali. Let it burn.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't know about allowed, but I bet the rationale had much less to do with greed and capitalism than with follow the regs to the letter and make sure we can't be held liable. It's not like PG&E can just quit. you understand that? You also know that attributing all flails to greed perfectly conforms to a communist narrative?

Let's say every single member of the managerial staff of PG&E is an evil greedy bastard in it only for maximum money and we can just execute them and replace with beneficent state personnel. How you think that will go? It sure worked for Stalin with the Kulaks, hey?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the time, I believe reading in the San Francisco Chronicle that PG&E said they cancelled regular scheduled maintenance on their residential power lines as a cost-cutting measure.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sue for causing fires, we turn off your power in dry windy conditions. Pretty straightforward outcome.
View Quote
Yep.  If I ran PG&E, I wouldn't turn the shit back on during fire season unless the government gave me an ironclad waiver of liability going forward.  "You want to sue us for the fires, fine, no electricity for you!"
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#40]
My power company should

A) give me electricity

B) not burn my state down.

When did that become too much to ask for?  Nobody else has to put up with this shit, do they?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It impacted so few people down there, it won’t make news. Not when there is Trump to hate.

They don’t care about the potential 26,000 in the foothills.
View Quote
I'm in the foothills
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep.  If I ran PG&E, I wouldn't turn the shit back on during fire season unless the government gave me an ironclad waiver of liability going forward.  "You want to sue us for the fires, fine, no electricity for you!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sue for causing fires, we turn off your power in dry windy conditions. Pretty straightforward outcome.
You make it sound as if PG&E is a non govt. controlled entity!

They have a huge monopoly, and a shit ton of gov. regulations. The PUC is a fucking joke as far as I can tell.

With no competition, they either do what gov. says or do their own thing....which is what the Gov. says.

It's really just a shit sandwich. The more bread you have the less shit you eat!
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My power company should

A) give me electricity

B) not burn my state down.

When did that become too much to ask for?  Nobody else has to put up with this shit, do they?
View Quote
When reality intruded it's unauthorized banned head and also legal prohibition against any rational plan to deal with it?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, if you want to get deep down. The TVA. Run power to all these bumpkins that will never ever pay in the long run. There's no way you can pay for running power lines way back to the south forty of bumfuck Egypt for a hillbilly trailer 37 miles from the neighbors that he can afford, so we decided to force it and you can only charge about the same as you charge dudes down the street from the plant.

Then califotardation is active.

This is the result.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Full Disclosure: I had a house 37 miles back from the south forty of East bumfuck. For 35 dollars they set like 87 poles and transformers and all that. My total electric receipts for the ten years I lived there were nowhere near enough to pay for that, but TVA. They had to.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Or lawyers smell blood in the water.

I suspect this is payback for not giving them immunity from the damage from fires started by their broken electrical lines.

Last time we did this topic the GD thought power was going to be shut down to Los Angeles and San Francisco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somehow they managed to provide power to california for decades. Either global warming is real, or this is the rolling blackouts part of transitioning to a 3rd world country
Or lawyers smell blood in the water.

I suspect this is payback for not giving them immunity from the damage from fires started by their broken electrical lines.

Last time we did this topic the GD thought power was going to be shut down to Los Angeles and San Francisco.
They filed for bankruptcy to shield themselves from the lawsuits I thought?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bet the soup kitchens and hobo central will have power. Oh and of course the beautiful people of LA.

Fuck Cali. Let it burn.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Breaking up PG&E sounds like a disaster for folks in the affected areas.  Their rates would skyrocket afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Breaking up PG&E sounds like a disaster for folks in the affected areas.  Their rates would skyrocket afterwards.  
View Quote
Then they would be forced to sell cheep and move to designated human control areas.

And the International Banking Cartel's shell companies can buy up their land. Clintons win again.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top