Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Despite the fact that I am drunk on New Years...

If I were high...you wouldn't dare storm my castle.

Left/REICH

Liberal/Conservitive

'Mericans can no longer be governed. Does "NOT MY PRESIDENT"...ring any bells?

It is ANARCHY and GOTH-BITCHES from here on out.

I'm cool with it.(except for all the tattoos that look like birthmarks)

The BLM got their SHIT_PUSHED_IN. You can't even Branch Davidian...ever again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t see how the possession of a marijuana permit means that you are a possessor or consumer of marijuana. It’s probably highly correlated, but there exists too significant of a disconnect to start denying 2A rights. Should 2A rights also be denied to anyone with a monthly subscription to High Times?!? This is going to get smacked down by courts.

Simple solution: make licenses to buy pot similar to a drivers license... you have to take a written and then practical test to obtain one.

So to get your green card, you’ve got to pass a written stoner-exam and then blaze up afterward. Then when you go fill to out yor 4473 at the gun store, and you’re a pot card licensee, you can’t possibly have obtained the stoner-card without having imbibed pot... and you then can’t possible pass a 4473 questionnaire without either lying or getting denied.

Boom, perfectly constitutional method to achieve what PA is trying to do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what new gun regulations Californians get hit with when Marijuana is legalized 2018?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The BATFE had a KENYAN CIC...couldn't prevent me, from ordering green-tips, thru the mail.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#5]
So what if a person gets a prescription card but never partakes of the MJ are they still prohibited?

I have never smoked marijuana nor do I care to try it. But think conflicts of laws like this are stupid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what if a person gets a prescription card but never partakes of the MJ are they still prohibited?

I have never smoked marijuana nor do I care to try it. But think conflicts of laws like this are stupid.
View Quote
Furtive movement?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes:
https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2016/08/31/14-15700.pdf
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Simple solution: PA should make licenses to buy pot similar to a drivers license... you have to take a written and then practical test to obtain one.

So to get your green card, you’ve got to pass a written stoner-exam and then blaze up afterward. Then when you go fill to out yor 4473 at the gun store, and you’re a pot card licensee, you can’t possibly have obtained the stoner-card without having imbibed pot... and you then can’t possible pass a 4473 questionnaire without either lying or getting denied.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Without even commenting on the merits, this is a predictable consequence.  Anybody who didn't see this coming is a fool.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the precedent on exactly this issue from the 9th circuit says otherwise:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the precedent on exactly this issue from the 9th circuit says otherwise:
The text of federal statute and what the various federal courts say the text actually means are not always the same thing.

Fortunately that opinion is currently binding in the 9th circuit.   Let's see if SCOTUS applies it nationwide or if other circuits apply it before they can.

Edit:  I just read that opinion.

...However, taking Wilson's allegations as true, as we must on an appeal from a motion to dismiss, Usher v. City of Los Angeles, 828 F.2d 556, 561 (9th Cir. 1987), she is not actually an unlawful drug user. Instead, she alleges that, although she obtained a registry card, she chose not to use medical marijuana for various reasons, such as the difficulties of acquiring medical marijuana in Nevada, as well as a desire to make a political statement.3 Regardless of her motivations, we agree that Wilson's claims do not fall under the direct scope of Dugan.   ...

Page 12

...The burden on Wilson's core Second Amendment right is not severe. Title 18 U.S.C.  922(d)(3), 27 C.F.R.  478.11, and the Open Letter bar only the sale of firearms to Wilsonnot her possession of firearms. Wilson could have amassed legal firearms before acquiring a registry card, and 18 U.S.C.  922(d)(3), 27 C.F.R.  478.11, and the Open Letter would not impede her right to keep her firearms or to use them to protect herself and her home. In addition, Wilson could acquire firearms and exercise her right to self-defense at any time by surrendering her registry card, thereby demonstrating to a firearms dealer that there is no reasonable cause to believe she is an unlawful drug user.  ..

Pages 14-15
The 9th Circuit court of Appeals agrees with my position that simply having a MMJ card does make a person a prohibited person.

They ruled, instead, that the existence of the card provides a reasonable basis for the FFL to believe the person COULD be a user of illegal substances and thus the FFL won't sell them a firearm.   THEY DID NOT say that Wilson was a prohibited person which is different than what is posted in the OP.

The ruling is BULLSHIT because it applies intermediate scrutiny, among other reasons, but that ruling does NOT say a person who has a MMJ card, or something similar, is automatically a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
This is NOT correct.

(1) That decision merely upholds the lower court decision that states the FFL may choose not sell to a person with a MMJ card.   That's bad (and worse in a state with no private party sales) but they DO NOT SAY A PERSON IS PROHIBITED merely by possessing the card.

(2) That decision only applies within the 9th circuit.    So far.   Other districts/circuits may follow suite and SCOTUS may agree.   We don't know.

(3) The clear reading of the law, as it exists right now, even if that decision in the 9th was binding, would not support what PA is currently trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don’t see how the possession of a marijuana permit means that you are a possessor or consumer of marijuana. It’s probably highly correlated, but there exists too significant of a disconnect to start denying 2A rights. Should 2A rights also be denied to anyone with a monthly subscription to High Times?!? This is going to get smacked down by courts.

Simple solution: make licenses to buy pot similar to a drivers license... you have to take a written and then practical test to obtain one.

Boom, perfectly constitutional method to achieve what PA is trying to do.
View Quote
That is some Autistic, Statist BS right there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Great. So after someone ponies up a million dollars or so to run a court case through the system the state may, or may not, comply with the court decision in five or ten years.
View Quote
PASP has kept all records of every NICS that they have processed despite being sued to stop and dispose of them IIRC.  PA is my home state but the PASP is no friend to the 2A.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol...

Unintended consequences...
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been preaching about the whole guns and Medical Marijuana Card issue for years. Take your pick.

Most people just say "Molon Labe."

Good luck with that.

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Simple solution: PA should make licenses to buy pot similar to a drivers license... you have to take a written and then practical test to obtain one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, one could just have one, and do the other on the down low. I don't care either way. Do what you want.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Would it theoretically be legal to sell your guns to someone who lives in the same house as you?

"No officer, I don't own any guns. Those all belong to my wife here, who doesn't use marijuana."
View Quote
a friend of mine knew G. Gordon Liddy pretty well back in the late 80s.
Liddy used to say that he couldn't own guns as a convicted felon, but that his wife had an impressive collection.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Lol @ dopers. They will choose their dope over protection probably. Or go along ignoring all the laws they don't agree with like they always do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a lot of due process here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would it theoretically be legal to sell your guns to someone who lives in the same house as you?

"No officer, I don't own any guns. Those all belong to my wife here, who doesn't use marijuana."
View Quote
G Gordon Liddy gave all his guns to his wife.  His wife's name was on the deed.  He could legally stay in her house as he didn’t have the combination to her safe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One can possess a weed card and not be a user. What now Pennsylvania bitches?
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
MAGA
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ZFG. Chose one or the other. As of now, you cannot have both.
View Quote
Let freedom ring!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol. Pot laws have consequences.
Fact path, have a card u r admitted user. 2a goes away.
Thins the herd in a good way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the pot card like a prescription or the precursor to getting a prescription? To get one, one must “prove” they have a condition present which could be treated by pot use?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So it will now be a Felony to have a gun and legal pot but still an unclassified Misdemeanor possession charge to own a gun and illegal pot.
View Quote
Sounds like they're encouraging the populace to ignore stupid laws.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Get the people stoned. Them tell them to turn in their guns. I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The good guys right?

*sounds of jackboots*
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
That is a great thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I love these threads, we really find out who the freedom lovers are vs. the statists.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, unless they have medical use for a particular plant associated with hippies, in which case it may be infringed upon."
View Quote
Well it’s always been illegal to be an unlawful user of schedule 1 substances and purchase a firearm, so it sounds like the pot crowd needs to fight harder for legalization in order to solve this issue. In full disclaimer, I do feel weed should be legal for medical and recreational use.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Without even commenting on the merits, this is a predictable consequence.  Anybody who didn't see this coming is a fool.
View Quote
BINGO Ray Charles could see this one coming....Stupid hurts..
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]
In this thread we find out who smokes marijuana. IDGAF from my position but it certainly shows that those who would like to take guns out of the hands of the people will try to do it every chance and every way they can. Inch by inch, step by step. What's next? Fortunately this law won't stand.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well it's always been illegal to be an unlawful user of schedule 1 substances and purchase a firearm, so it sounds like the pot crowd needs to fight harder for legalization in order to solve this issue. In full disclaimer, I do feel weed should be legal for medical and recreational use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, unless they have medical use for a particular plant associated with hippies, in which case it may be infringed upon."
Well it's always been illegal to be an unlawful user of schedule 1 substances and purchase a firearm, so it sounds like the pot crowd needs to fight harder for legalization in order to solve this issue. In full disclaimer, I do feel weed should be legal for medical and recreational use.
But muh miracle plant................
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
^ THIS.   Why gun registration should be resisted. Once they know where the guns are, they will discover new loopholes and methods of taking them away.

Of course, the easiest way to fight this Catch-22 is to insist that our politicians (you know, they guy's that represent OUR interests) mandate that the DEA re-classify pot as a minor substance ...not Class 1.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Having a pot card is not the same thing as possessing marijuana.

Just like having a drivers license isn't the same thing as driving.

Just like having a CWP doesn't automatically mean you're packing heat.

I'd like to see more due process.
View Quote
Good point. I guess they are going by intent if you even have a card?

How long before just being in CO on vacation where no card is even needed will be used under the same pretext?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
RKBA infringed, useful idiots applaud.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How long before just being in CO on vacation where no card is even needed will be used under the same pretext?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having a pot card is not the same thing as possessing marijuana.

Just like having a drivers license isn't the same thing as driving.

Just like having a CWP doesn't automatically mean you're packing heat.

I'd like to see more due process.

Or the “Why”. To be a card holder (is that correct?), there must be a reason, a condition. What’s the holder’s condition? What ailment? Is it a physical condition? A mental disorder? Quality of life treatment due to cancer? Abnormal anxiety? Depression?

ETA: Whatever the ailment, it was profound enough whereby the sufferer felt it necessary to seek treatment.

ETA: Looks to me like in the madness to get it, folks double-fucked themselves.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I love these threads, we really find out who the freedom lovers are vs. the statists.
View Quote
What's even more amazing is the number of morons that act like marijuana was invented yesterday and this is the first it's been decriminalized. Wait until they find out that both K-Mart and bars will now be open on Sundays!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Rights are granted by God and described in the constitution, not the PA state police

1a. "But drivers licenses" - driving is a privilege. It is not a right. Saying MJ card holders can not own firearms is EQUAL to saying they may be forced to give testimony against themselves, or must host some government troops in their house.

2. A MJ card simply allows you to buy it. The card is not made out of marijuana. Using this cop logic, anyone who simply lives in a recreational state (where anyone could walk in and buy it) should have to turn in their firearms as well, since the condition of being able to walk in and buy it applies to everyone in those states

I think this is a case of Thin Blue Butt-hurt, where after decades of sacrifice to save us from scary plants, they are for sale in stores and people prefer it that way
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What's even more amazing is the number of morons that act like marijuana was invented yesterday and this is the first it's been decriminalized. Wait until they find out that both K-Mart and bars will now be open on Sundays!
View Quote
There is nothing new under the sun.

The redcoats have amended the stamp act saying you have to turn in your firearms to get a certain stamp
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

RKBA infringed, useful idiots applaud.
View Quote
How many unregistered full auto rifles do you have?  You know...useful idiots and all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How many unregistered full auto rifles do you have?  You know...useful idiots and all.
View Quote
What the fuck does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

Do you see him applauding that form of gun control?

Maybe you should have typed it out and let it sit a few minutes before hitting submit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is NOT correct.

(1) That decision merely upholds the lower court decision that states the FFL may choose not sell to a person with a MMJ card.   That's bad (and worse in a state with no private party sales) but they DO NOT SAY A PERSON IS PROHIBITED merely by possessing the card.

(2) That decision only applies within the 9th circuit.    So far.   Other districts/circuits may follow suite and SCOTUS may agree.   We don't know.

(3) The clear reading of the law, as it exists right now, even if that decision in the 9th was binding, would not support what PA is currently trying to accomplish.
View Quote
Thanks, good to know.  I misinterpreted the scope of their ruling (prohibited person vs. denial of sale) on that issue.

That said, it was eye-opening to read that decision and get a picture of how courts can apply different levels of scrutiny to support whatever they like .
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote

WTF
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#49]
It has never made logical sense to me that whiskey is legal but marijuana is not
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#50]
until the Feral government says pot is legal the BATF will use this in every state. I dont see the fed making it legal. here is why... all drugs for federal sentencing guide lines are based on pot. so that means 1 gram of heroin is the equivalent of 1000 grams of pot. so if they make it legal they have to find a new standard to base different drugs on and rewrite all the books pertaining to the subject which will take time which means alotta $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top