Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Point taken - guess I'll reserve my outrage for another time .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revolutionary history aside, they are a close and trusted ally.  In a world where we have very few friends, they have been and are a very good one.

She broke 600 years of tradition to play the Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace after 9/11, I think lowerering the US flag to honor our special relationship is warranted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
She and President Reagan were both lovers of horses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Well some people are worse than me"

What a mature argument for being a piece of shit.
View Quote
I like you, we can be friends.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's called showing respect for your friends and allies.... like she did after 9/11....
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The king or queen is head of their church?  I actually didn't know that.  I knew there was a "special relationship", but didn't know it was that deep.

No wonder they invented America.
View Quote

Head of the Church of England... they have other churches too nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Goodbye to the last great monarch.  

Rest in peace.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am sure even Johnny Lydon could find a few good words to say.
View Quote

While she was alive he said he had great respect for her and what she did.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's called showing respect for your friends and allies.... like she did after 9/11....
View Quote
Point taken and what she did after 9-11 is to be remembered for sure. I guess when I saw FJB order it I instinctively became "defensive" over the flag he seems to hate .. my bad. That is why I asked, I have nothing against showing respect for the Queen.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry the woman is dead, but as an American, I don't recognize any "royalty."

It amazes me how many Americans line up to grovel before "royalty."

It's also concerning, too, and tends to support a very unfortunate theory of mine.  To wit: deep inside, most humans are hard-wired to WANT to be "ruled."
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

She broke 600 years of tradition to play the Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace after 9/11, I think lowerering the US flag to honor our special relationship is warranted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revolutionary history aside, they are a close and trusted ally.  In a world where we have very few friends, they have been and are a very good one.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's also concerning, too, and tends to support a very unfortunate theory of mine.  To wit: deep inside, most humans are hard-wired to WANT to be "ruled."
View Quote

You and I don’t recognize her as royalty, but the closest people we have to family on the world stage did. A bit of respect, for the sake of respect and without editorializing, is in order.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had him on ignore for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That woman had 70 some years to make a difference, to help guide that country on a better path. She did not. All she did is protect her cartel.

I don't wish for her death as she has not personally wronged me, just the people in that absurdly named United Kingdom. But neither will I mourn her.

*eyeroll*

@TxRabbitBane

You repeatedly respond to posts in that manner, without a coherent word.

It’s all the response I can muster for silly opinions.

Sometimes, no sarcastic comment seems sufficient.

I had him on ignore for a reason.

See here mods, we need an ''ignorant'' block here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Curious about your definition of 'grovel'.  I'd bet it is nowhere close to what common use is, or applicable to this current situation.  Perhaps, since you seem to intertwine some personal insult into your post - you confuse it with 'the act of paying respect to something'?  what gives?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Tough bird for sure. She was humble until the end.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That picture kinda makes me smile, don't know a ton about her, just that she was always classy and seemed kind in public, but that picture just makes me smile.  Kinda cool to see someone that you only know as a sort of national ornament was just a young woman having fun there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/nznow/2018/06/20/1529462250702_Elizabeth-playing-tag-feb-1947.jpg?width=922&height=&mode=crop&scale=both&anchor=topcenter&quality=70

When ever I thought of Elizabeth, It always comes back to this photo I first saw in the 70's or 80's.
Her playing tag with sailors aboard ship, in the Med if I recall correctly, before she became Queen.

God Save The Queen

Jay

That picture kinda makes me smile, don't know a ton about her, just that she was always classy and seemed kind in public, but that picture just makes me smile.  Kinda cool to see someone that you only know as a sort of national ornament was just a young woman having fun there.  

I can only imagine the excitement the young sailors had when they were allowed to just have a good time like young people do, with their real honest to goodness princess.  I bet they told stories for the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Too bad Charlie boy wasn't holding the target.

The BFG sends his regards.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's just silly. I don't recognize you as human. See how idiotic that sounds?

I recognize her as royalty. She just has no authority over me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Royalty has nothing to do with it. It's the person, not the title, to whom we're payng tribute.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Despite my adopted American ways, and the different flag I fly proudly, I'm still absolutely gutted at this.
Like a grandmother I never visited with, but loved anyway.  Rest in Peace.
View Quote

This is a very sad day in our house as well. My wife is from Wolverhampton, and I live in Suffolk for almost ten years. We were both huge admirers of the Queen, and the world seems greatly diminished by her passing. She lived a life of grace, dignity and enormous courage in representing all that is best about the United Kingdom. I sincerely hope she is with her husband now in a better place, and my heartfelt condolences go out to her family.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Curious about your definition of 'grovel'.  I'd bet it is nowhere close to what common use is, or applicable to this current situation.  Perhaps, since you seem to intertwine some personal insult into your post - you confuse it with 'the act of paying respect to something'?  what gives?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

I will be back later when I land to elaborate/explain.  Too much of a PITA to try and type it all out on a mobile device.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#26]

She was similarly cheeky when a group of American tourists crossed her path near her Balmoral estate, unwittingly asking whether she'd ever met the Queen. The incognito monarch, who was dressed again in a headscarf, simply gestured to her protection officer and replied, "No, but he has."

Very famous story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Would it be weird not to in light of some of the times is HAS been lowered on recent years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing against the Queen, but does it seem weird we have to lower our flags to half mast? We decided years ago we did not want to be a part of the royal family, why dip our national ensign? Supposed to keep them at half mast until internment - that will be a week or more I would guess.

Would it be weird not to in light of some of the times is HAS been lowered on recent years?

I'd rather see the flag at half mast for England's late queen than for some of the people its been lowered for.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's the way it is supposed to happen but in this clown world we live in now nothing seems to go as expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope who ever takes her place exiles Harry and Markle and that if they try to enter any sovereign territory of the UK they are arrested for treason

You know the half breed is pining to be the next queen, if she doesn't get her way she will play half a race card. I know it won't happen but based on her actions I bet it has crossed her mind.

Her BIL will be King and Kate will be in the throne room…….Meghan won’t ever sniff the throne

That's the way it is supposed to happen but in this clown world we live in now nothing seems to go as expected.

I don’t think those who are the powers behind the throne will allow her common, banished to LA ass to come anywhere near the throne
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I also do not understand the left's love of English crown. Couldn't they be blamed for oppression and slavery?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll bet the old girl had some stories. Sadly, we'll never know most of them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He married the widow next door. I heard a song about it, she had been married seven times before - all Henrys!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or abdicate immediately in favor of William.

Looks (& is bad) for a divorced man as the head of the Church.

You mean the Church founded by Henry VIII.....who was famous for what, again?

He married the widow next door. I heard a song about it, she had been married seven times before - all Henrys!

They couldn’t be a Willie or Sam
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

I also do not understand the left's love of English crown. Couldn't they be blamed for oppression and slavery?
View Quote
?? The angry bitch Left hates anything to do with empire.  Royals, Churchill, whatever.  They're all about that IRA Fenian bullshit; always have been.  

And yes, Britain is to blame for the establishment of slavery in her colonies in N. America, as the French are in theirs, and the Dutch in theirs.  Britain's colonies were just more successful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't see any groveling.  She was one of the last people in Europe that understood the meaning of leadership, dignity, and class.  She has ALWAYS treated America with respect, and that is more than can be said about even our own politicians.  I give no shits about her titles, all I see is a woman that devoted nearly her entire life to the service of her people and loved her country with all her heart.  How can you not admire that?  

As far as your theory though, that is very true, there are a hell of a lot more followers than leaders out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#34]
QE2 was a classy lady. RIP.

That said, fuck all royals especially Charles. Fuck the King.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

When I go on Reddit all I see are happy praises that she is dead.

Is the left no longer the majority on Reddit?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#36]
God save the Queen.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is a very sad day in our house as well. My wife is from Wolverhampton
View Quote

FIFY - did my degree in Wolves & worked at the football club for a couple of years.
Could be worse, she could be from Dudley!

A sad day for a lot of people, not just in the UK
I remember being at school in the 70's and being amazed when the teachers told us about the length of time that Queen Victoria had been on the throne.
The same decade I was late back to school on day as being the 1977 Jubilee year the Queen was passing through my town....sadly as she ended up running a few hours late, the car was not going too slowly, but I still had a chance to catch a glimpse of her.
Given the seven decades on the throne I always had the hope that she'd at least have a couple of years retirement, if she abdicated just after the Platinum Jubilee
She may have been 96 but she has gone too soon!
I predict the UK will see a level of mourning in the next few days that surpasses the display 25 years ago when Diana died
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#38]
People are losing their minds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
That was a very nice and appropriate response.

Have we heard from POTATUS yet?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

FIFY - did my degree in Wolves & worked at the football club for a couple of years.
Could be worse, she could be from Dudley!

A sad day for a lot of people, not just in the UK
I remember being at school in the 70's and being amazed when the teachers told us about the length of time that Queen Victoria had been on the throne.
The same decade I was late back to school on day as being the 1977 Jubilee year the Queen was passing through my town....sadly as she ended up running a few hours late, the car was not going too slowly, but I still had a chance to catch a glimpse of her.
Given the seven decades on the throne I always had the hope that she'd at least have a couple of years retirement, if she abdicated just after the Platinum Jubilee
She may have been 96 but she has gone too soon!
I predict the UK will see a level of mourning in the next few days that surpasses the display 25 years ago when Diana died
View Quote

@Saddler you're a funny guy...

A film production company in Florida got word my wife was working for the local college, and emailed to ask if she would be interested in narrating a documentary they were doing. Apparently they'd never heard a west midlander speak, and just assumed everyone from England had a posh accent.

They did a good job of letting her down gently, but I think it kind of hurt her feelings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When it happens, it happens fast.
View All Quotes
I suspect she was going downhill for a while. They just didn't tell anyone but family.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
'May God bless the Queen, may she reign forever in our hearts': Trump and Melania say they are 'deeply saddened' at loss of Her Majesty and will 'never forget her generous wisdom, friendship and sense of humor'

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the British monarchy, but there is no doubt she has lived a life of dedicated and selfless service ...to her people and the institution.  And I am sure that road has never been easy, especially in recent years. I wish her peace.
View Quote

It is not selfless service when you get all your living expenses, food, housing, clothing, security, etc. through tax dollars. She was paid and expected to do it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nothing against the Queen, but does it seem weird we have to lower our flags to half mast? We decided years ago we did not want to be a part of the royal family, why dip our national ensign? Supposed to keep them at half mast until internment - that will be a week or more I would guess.
View Quote

We lower the flag to half mast in recognition of her passing and also as a sign of respect for the relationship she maintained with our country.  We don't dip our flag for shit, they're two totally different things.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#47]
FFS
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I could care less
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When it happens, it happens fast.
View All Quotes

Maybe she had a heart attack, followed by congestive heart failure. She was 96 after all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Gold prices may be a bit out of range, but Platinum prices make buying a 2022 Britannia a bit more palatable if you want to do a bit more than silver.  That is, going with the assumption this will be the last mint year her head appears on any coinage.

I found a listing Here: https://www.providentmetals.com/platinum/platinum-britannias.html

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top