User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If

[/div][div]Be advised the second one has a god awful turn around time.[/div][div]

[/div][div]A great source is here:http://www.newrhodesian.net/index.php[/div][/div]

Truth.

12 weeks for one of the books.

worth it.
It's definitely worth it but not quick.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There is The New Rhodesian Forum online:

The New Rhodesian Forum

There you'll find a great board topic "Tools of the Trade" which focuses on militaria, weapons, etc.

Thanks for that
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If I were to buy the top 5 books on this topic, what would they be?  I've long intended to increase my knowledge on Rhodesia.

Its hard to find books without the liberal bias.

This book will make you angry.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Other examples of "RhUzi's"

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I were to buy the top 5 books on this topic, what would they be?  I've long intended to increase my knowledge on Rhodesia.

Its hard to find books without the liberal bias.

This book will make you angry.

http://www.rhodesia.nl/betrayal.jpg

Yes it is disconcerting but it's great POV from Ian Smith. Smith continued to live in Harare (Salisbury) with no guards until he had to leave for SA for medical care, even after the Mugabe crew took his farm.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Shit, 5 books is about all you'll find.

I have read all the books mentioned here and it really depends on what you want.

If you want tales of derring-do, than Chris Cock's and croukamps books are probably the best.

If you want more of a history book, than counter-strike from the sky is well done.

You can also get the rhodesian COIN manual which has some good stuff in it if you haven't been infantry.  If you have been infantry, it will be very redunandant.

the merc manual that comes with it is funny.

I may have mentioned it before, but J.K. Cilliers' book "Counter-Insurgency in Rhodesia" is worth a read. Link

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
its amazing that guys that look like they're about 30 pounds lighter than most soldiers today, packing around FALs that are almost as tall as they are, with no high tech chest rigs, body armor or HSLD holsters could ever be as effective as they were

/sarc
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

its amazing that guys that look like they're about 30 pounds lighter than most soldiers today, packing around FALs that are almost as tall as they are, with no high tech chest rigs, body armor or HSLD holsters could ever be as effective as they were

/sarc

What they had was a culture of physical activity and work. Those guys weren't playing xbox or going to the mall, they working farms, hunting, fishing, rugby, soccer, cross country, cricket, tennis, swimming etc. People who weren't productive in Rhodesia left, there was no dole and there was National Service.

As far as equipment, under sanctions they did with what they had, and they did it very well.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]

I think that guy was a Ranch/Farm security guy instead of RhSF, INTAF or BSAP. Very few M16/AR type weapons were issued to the Forces and those that were, were used in a carbine role, Greys had some as did the RAR, RLI, and Selous Scouts and RhSAS, but they weren't common.

RhSF was also stingy with pistols and the issue pistol was the BHP in small numbers, Star Model B's and even S&W Model 10's for some Police units.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/sarc

What they had was a culture of physical activity and work. Those guys weren't playing xbox or going to the mall, they working farms, hunting, fishing, rugby, soccer, cross country, cricket, tennis, swimming etc. People who weren't productive in Rhodesia left, there was no dole and there was National Service.

As far as equipment, under sanctions they did with what they had, and they did it very well.      

Allot of them were 16-17 years old too

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/sarc

Allot of them were 16-17 years old too  

True.

In ref to the bearded guy with the CAR15, I knew I'd seen him before he's McGrady :

Scanned article here:

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

These two were my favorite, but they focused more on one single view of the war not the overall picture of Rhodesia.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just bought one of the Long Sleeve shirt versions of the poster. Thanks for sharing that source.

Available in white here: http://www.zazzle.com/rhodesian_army_tshirt-235521992532794197

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

More stuff to show how uber cool the Rhodies were

They made chest rigs and camoing weapons cool for future generations of ARFCOMers that grew up reading SOF magazine

There were certainly ahead of their time.

Thanks to you and Sylvan for all the fireforce discussion; I'm learning a lot.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7792/imag0046r.jpg

I think that guy was a Ranch/Farm security guy instead of RhSF, INTAF or BSAP. Very few M16/AR type weapons were issued to the Forces and those that were, were used in a carbine role, Greys had some as did the RAR, RLI, and Selous Scouts and RhSAS, but they weren't common.

RhSF was also stingy with pistols and the issue pistol was the BHP in small numbers, Star Model B's and even S&W Model 10's for some Police units.  

that guy has a safari arms 1911 that pistol with his CAR and colt scope he was as high speed as it gets for 1981

anyone identify the knife? Randal? as it appears everything else he has was state of the art for the time

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

that guy has a safari arms 1911 that pistol with his CAR and colt scope he was as high speed as it gets for 1981

anyone identify the knife? Randal? as it appears everything else he has was state of the art for the time

Isn't that a Gerber Mark I, I think they were pretty popular in the 70's and 80's.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that a Gerber Mark I, I think they were pretty popular in the 70's and 80's.
going by google its a MK II

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
You are right, I always get the Mark I and II confused for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You are right, I always get the Mark I and II confused for some reason.

hell I had one when I was 12

think I would recognize one LOL

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:41:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
First book I ever read about Rhodesia aside from SOF articles. Caused me to order a Rhodesian Army T-Shirt and Poster. Williams was with Grey's Scouts and his unit known as the "Galloping Goofles" Good book if you can find it.

i actually just got this book from my grandma , along with war story which i am reading now..
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what exactly happened in Rhodesia?  I think I have a baseline understanding, but not sure.  It was definitely before my time.

there is a book called "the fate of africa". if you are at all interested in african colonial and post-colonial history, pick it up and read it. the thing is as big as a phone book, but it's an amazing read, and extraordinarily pertinant now considering some of the things going on overseas now.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Great thread. I read Chris Cock's book a couple of years ago. It was a real interesting read.
Does anyone have a high-res copy of the recruiting poster?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Who Dares Loses?

Assessing Rhodesia’s Counter-Insurgency Experience:

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I was thinking some of you might enjoy a few of these? I hope the bloody things will play in America, unlike all the region restricted videos I have problems watching in Britain. It isn't Rhodesian, but there are a few rare documentaries about various colonial conflicts. Many South Africans still come to Britain to join up. I think there were quite a few Rhodesians, back when the country still existed, and maybe even now as Zimbabwe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This thread inspired me to watch the movie: Mugabe and the White African

Powerful movie.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Brilliant summary of life in Rhodesia

http://www.cwporter.com/rhodesia.html
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Bookmarked.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Bought one....that shirt best be SWEET!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bookmarked.  

The guy is a loon though, just got done reading the rest of his web page

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Browse around the rest of the site - the guy is a total 88. Articles full of Holocaust denial and lovely titles such as "Ni––erology" and "Adolf Hitler: a Universal Symbol."

Oh, and he's also a truther.

Edit: Looks like you posted while I was typing.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#40]

They have had them for sale in the operatorchan store for a while, but they have disappeared.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bookmarked.  

The guy is a loon though, just got done reading the rest of his web page  

Yeah. He's out there.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Lekkerwear might make one. I haven't seen one in years.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I didnt know much about the Rhodesian army until I read the Book by Dennis Croukamp

Great book

This is a very interesting thread and it has caused me to buy a new book, thanks!

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Browse around the rest of the site - the guy is a total 88. Articles full of Holocaust denial and lovely titles such as "Ni––erology" and "Adolf Hitler: a Universal Symbol."

Oh, and he's also a truther.

Edit: Looks like you posted while I was typing.

Yeah he's a fuckin moonbat of the worst type.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bookmarked.  

BTW, it's a Holocaust denial site.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top