BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The EA 5.7 ammo I use is about 2,600 FPS out of the Five-seveN.  Right now their T6 ammo is 2,500 FPS out of the Five-seveN and 2,800 FPS out of the PS90.  Readers might find the following interesting.  This is an old post from another site (FN Forum).

+++++

I see a lot of links to "experts" who profess to know what is an effective round, and so, sitting here it suddenly dawned on me that "I" am an expert as well! I've been a CCRN for 20 years. I've worked in some of the "busiest" Level One Trauma centers as well as some of the equally "busy" backwater county Emergency Rooms and seen my share of GSW's (gunshot wounds) come through the door so and I suspect I have far more REAL experience with what bullets "do" than all the armchair supposed experts. What I have to say will not I suspect be well-received by the bigger is better crowd.

I've seen a LOT of people shot with the .45 ACP and 9mm simply WALK IN THE DOOR with no outwardly ill effect. I've seen people shot with the lowly .22LR come in by ambulance, in shock, near death.

I was an avid ballistics enthusiast for many years prior to entering the medical field and I felt (as most ballistics enthusiasts do), that large-bore, high-powered handgun rounds were THE thing to carry...and in fact this is true, but this refers to carrying calibers such as top-loaded .357 magnums, .41/.44 magnums and up. Perhaps hot loaded .45 ACP and 9mm with the right bullet and the right load (meaning hand load) can do the dance, but 20 years of SEEING FIRST-HAND what standard loads do has left me a bit "cold" on the subject.

First, human tissue does not react like ballistic gelatin regardless of what any "expert" claims. When a bullet enters and passes through a human, the tissue does not "fracture," nor does it remain "blown out" or in receipt of some mythical "crush cavity." What human tissue DOES is slough off bullet impacts with amazingly efficiency! I'm talking about low-powered bullets here of course. The whole "permanent crush cavity" thing is absolutely hysterical...I've SEEN probably thousands of bullet wounds created by low-powered handguns such as the 9mm, .38 spl, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, and NONE had "permanently crushed ballistic tracks!" NONE. The human body...TISSUE simply does not respond that way. Additionally, human skin stretches like a latex balloon and so does the underlying tissue...basically, subsonic bullets of ALL calibers kill by damaging or destroying necessary arteries/vessels/nerve tissue as they pass by, NOT by any mythical crush cavity, temporary, permanent, or otherwise.

Why am I going on such a tirade about this? Because the ONE caliber I have observed to be amazingly LETHAL is the lowly .22 Long Rifle. And I'm not talking about .22's fired from long barrels here....SHORT, pistol barrels provide all the impetus the .22LR needs to do amazing things FAR beyond what it should be able to do based upon paper statistics.

The 5.7x28 fits in the exact same category, only MAGNIFIED! A .22LR at 1200 fps impact will tumble wildly, and follow any "superhighway" it connects too...meaning veins, or sections between sinew and bone. The 5.7x28 will do the same. The .22LR generally starts out life with about 100 lb-ft. of KE depending on loading and barrel length yet the impact RESULT is far, FAR beyond what this number would suggest. The 5.7x28 starts out at close to twice the speed...meaning violent tumbling in tissue complete with fragmentation. If a bullet passes clean through a person it's carrying MOST of the kinetic energy with it. The REASON the 5.56x45 is so deadly is quite because the bullet was originally a "varmint" caliber not considered adequate for taking dangerous animals, YET when it comes to big, bad HUMANS, a varmint round does an amazing job! The 5.7x28 may impact with a mere 300 lb-ft of KE, yet the tumbling effect of the bullet when it comes to dumping all KE into the target CANNOT be ignored....well, it can by the "bigger is better" crowd, but only to their folly.

Anyway, after a couple of years dealing with GSW's of all calibers I realized that a .22LR is probably the IDEAL "carry gun"....and no, I don't expect to convince ANYONE of this, but it is based upon my actual experience. The 5.7x28 brings all that and DOUBLE to the table. Approximately 2.5-3X the KE, same lightweight bullet albeit constructed to penetrate, and it's not hard at all to see why the U.S. Secret Service carries the Five-Seven. Clearly others recognize the lethality of the cartridge!

The .40 S&W was supposed to be the Cat's meow...now thanks to government regulatory interference the .45 ACP is back in favor, yet none of the major police agencies choose it...why?

Having seen my share (and a few dozen other people's) of people shot by everything from the .22 up to .30'06 I know the rationale and the reason for the 5.7x28 becoming the standard...it gets the job done in a hurry!

Does this mean I think it is "better" than everything else...of course not! A high-powered rifle round from a rifle barrel is destructive of human tissue to a degree that simply must be seen to appreciated....UNLIKE TV, people shot with such rounds lose whatever future they might have had, and the same would be true of those hit by any "real" magnum handgun round.

I wish we could contrive some new, more accurate method of measuring ballistic effectiveness because as it stands people tend to shake out in the small bullet at high speed category, or the giant bullet walking out the barrel crowd. The fact is...VELOCITY is everything when it comes to bone fragmentation and tissue destruction. A bullet capable of punching through a Kevlar vest and plate will do the same to bone, and it will tumble and fragment dumping every shred of KE into the recipient.

I tend to think KE is THE "Gold Standard" based upon observed results, and truth be told a hit from a high-velocity, high-KE bullets are quite destructive, while large, slow bullets have no effect beyond that tissue they immediately contact.

The Five-Seven is THE carry solution. With the right ammo (Elite for those who cannot reload), it will punch through sheet steel with ease and tumble into flesh which makes it useful for anyone who contemplates a running gunfight on the road. "Penetrator" ammo will easily punch through door sheet steel that would stop magnum rounds designed to expand.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to test a variety of handgun loads on car doors and to my utter surprise the vaunted .44 magnum loaded with expanding point ammo had a hard time punching clean through...the Five-Seven punches through almost without saying.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE EXPENSIVE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILLIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR COST LESS.
View Quote
Bro quit yelling
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People here are on drugs thinking that thing will be under $500.
View Quote
I tend to agree.

Under $500? Probably not.
Under $600? Maybe.
Under $700? Good chance.
Under $800? Almost certainly.

After that Ruger would be going full retard as they would be in direct competition to FN with very little difference in price.

For the right price I might be interested in this. The FN 5-7 has been something I'd really like to get but haven't been able to justify. I'd really rather see S&W make a M&P to compete with it, but I assume that will happen at the same time they release a 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If this thing is real and priced under $500 I'll be in.

The last few years have been lackluster with new gun releases and this year SHOT show is still a month away and we've already got the HK SP5, Colt Python, and now possibly this.
View Quote
I want something in 5.7 because it intrigues me, just can't justify $1,000. If this is sub $600, I'll be interested, sub $500, I will buy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Was this on the Recoil twitter page? I can't find the post there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why, ruger, why not 7.62Tok?
View Quote
If they made a 7.62 Tok with a 15+ cap, I would fo so hard
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Holy shit if they made that in their PCC. The PC57.
View Quote
With high capacity magazines

If this comes to pass, I would buy one
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep..  with good capacity magazine of 30 to 40 rounds in a PCC format as well as pistol..  I am in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ruger would be on drugs if it isn't. $600 MAX, but we all EXPECT a $500 or under price point and even six hundo would already be a disappointment. "ballin on a budget" has been their brand image for a good long while now, or "economical quality" if you want to be formal. Take out Economical and/or quality, and they've just lost their market. They can't pull an H&K and pull a $3,000 gun out of their ass and have people salivating over it. You start very rapidly approaching that "Well now I saved up enough money to get something better than a Ruger, so let me get something better than a Ruger!" price point once you go over $500. If it came in at $600 or more, at that point I'd probably just go all the way and save up for a five-seven at that point, because that at least is desirable to me from a collection standpoint.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
You want to see what a 5.7 T6 round can do?  

T6 through windshield at clay.

Elite Ammunition T6 (28gr PFP), Vs Windshield and Clay, FiveSeveN

Here is a Kevlar helmet test. Jump to 8:00 for T6 round.

Ballistic Helmet Performance Testing (Warrior Helmet by SDS)

T6 v. Level IIIa body armor

T6 and S4M both go right through IIIa body armor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
7.62 Tok is shorter than 5.7x25 but is also broader.

A double stack 7.62 Tokarev pistol is going to be a handful.

Maybe it can be done.  It would be nice, and maybe we can see a resurgence of the 9mm Mauser.

But, I am not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Knowing Ruger it will be announced at SHOT show and but won’t be available until June 2022.

It will likely be 800 MSRP.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Negative. P(S)90 is also recoil delayed blowback. The travel is less however as the reciprocating mass is higher.

5.7x28 is an exceptionally hard cartridge to design for and achieve good reliability. Very high pressures, low recoil energy, relatively fast burning power without much gas volume. It makes most conventional configs unworkable for the type of reliability required for .mil/LE applications, well at least not without knowing some of the tricks. The cartridge case design helps significantly, with its unique shoulder design and special coating among other things, but it's not a panacea. The limited number of entities like AR57, CMMG, and MPA that have tried have all certainly struggled, with varying results, and those guys are by no means dummies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P90/PS90 & AR57 are straight blowback, and it's unsurprising the necks blow forward.  The FN 57 is delayed blowback - I would assume the Ruger would be short-recoil operated, both being easier on brass.

The polymer coating  on the 5.7x28mm case is almost certainly for extraction from the P90 chamber, given that 5.7x28mm is likely the highest pressure round ever successfully run in a straight blowback action.  The hottest Elite loads are specifically not for use in the P90 or PS90 for that reason.
Negative. P(S)90 is also recoil delayed blowback. The travel is less however as the reciprocating mass is higher.

5.7x28 is an exceptionally hard cartridge to design for and achieve good reliability. Very high pressures, low recoil energy, relatively fast burning power without much gas volume. It makes most conventional configs unworkable for the type of reliability required for .mil/LE applications, well at least not without knowing some of the tricks. The cartridge case design helps significantly, with its unique shoulder design and special coating among other things, but it's not a panacea. The limited number of entities like AR57, CMMG, and MPA that have tried have all certainly struggled, with varying results, and those guys are by no means dummies.
Full disclosure, I have a loaded 5.7 at my bedside.

I'm fairly sure the core issue is the truly straight case walls; an utter bitch to deal with from a dynamics perspective.  You are at the mercy of coefficients of friction in a very big way, and those coefficients vary widely throughout the firing cycle, as well as from environmental factors like oil/temperature/fouling.  My theory on the teflon coating is it simply makes things more consistent, by ensuring the case is always fairly slippery.

22 Johnson Spitfire (30 carbine based wildcat with similar performance) was a better solution.  You'd have had much stronger brass, and more reliable everything.  Higher case volume would make the internal pressure curve wider, thus easier to harness by autoloading mechanisms.  Way tougher primer pockets would tolerate multiple reloading cycles as well as higher pressures than 5.7 can.  Capacity would be better than 9mm-diameter options, and the round could be shortened perhaps to 38-super length without sacrificing performance (Spitfire is 30 Carbine length and ever so slightly more powerful than 5.7 from the increased volume)
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
7.62Tok is 3mm longer than 45acp with 2mm narrower case head. How many doublestack 45’s are on the market? Incidentally tok is 2mm wider case head and 5mm shorter than 5.7.

I would FO hard for a 700$ modern double-stack 7.62tok. That would have been a legendary glock, but I’d take a Ruger too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe it can be done.  It would be nice, and maybe we can see a resurgence of the 9mm Mauser.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Zastava supposed prototyped their SIG clone thing in 7.62x25

Norinco/Dominion Arms has a double-stack P226 clone in 7.62x25 that they sold in Canuckistan
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Q predicted this
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Knowing Ruger it will be announced at SHOT show and but won’t be available until June 2022.

It will likely be 800 MSRP.
View Quote
You really don't know how Ruger operates if you believe that. Their current standard is to not announce a new weapon until it's shipping to distributors meaning your local shops will have them within a week of the announcement usually. This isn't an announcement, it's a leak of a T&E gun meant to allow reviewers to coordinate releasing their reviews with Ruger's official announcement.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You really don't know how Ruger operates if you believe that. Their current standard is to not announce a new weapon until it's shipping to distributors meaning your local shops will have them within a week of the announcement usually. This isn't an announcement, it's a leak of a T&E gun meant to allow reviewers to coordinate releasing their reviews with Ruger's official announcement.
View Quote
Basing it off prior announcements that did not show up with a small amount of sarcasm thrown in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413021/635__2__jpg-1212824.JPG
At least it has more confirmed kills than a Ruger 5.7 (for now )

To expound on my original statement: it seems to me that most people who are looking for an "inexpensive" handgun aren't really in the market for comparatively expensive ammunition, whereas those comfortable shooting pistol ammo that's $.40ish and up per round wouldn't be too hard pressed to shell out $1k or so for the FN. That said there are a lot of positive responses in this thread so maybe I'm way off base.
View Quote
Ruger has a market segment doing exactly this - the buyers of their Redhawks/Blackhawks/etc. Once you're beyond .357, magnum pistol ammo starts getting expensive fast - cheapest .454 Casull I see is 95cpr.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Basing it off prior announcements that did not show up with a small amount of sarcasm thrown in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fairly certain that's why they changed to their current system in an attempt to not piss off consumers unlike so many other mfg's, Kel-Tec being the worst.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interdasting.
View Quote
Extremely, if it's real.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]
5.7x28 I suspect would come back into public interest with a good affordable alternative to the FN FiveSeven pistol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The EA 5.7 ammo I use is about 2,600 FPS out of the Five-seveN.  Right now their T6 ammo is 2,500 FPS out of the Five-seveN and 2,800 FPS out of the PS90.  Readers might find the following interesting.  This is an old post from another site (FN Forum).

+++++

I see a lot of links to "experts" who profess to know what is an effective round, and so, sitting here it suddenly dawned on me that "I" am an expert as well! I've been a CCRN for 20 years. I've worked in some of the "busiest" Level One Trauma centers as well as some of the equally "busy" backwater county Emergency Rooms and seen my share of GSW's (gunshot wounds) come through the door so and I suspect I have far more REAL experience with what bullets "do" than all the armchair supposed experts. What I have to say will not I suspect be well-received by the bigger is better crowd.

I've seen a LOT of people shot with the .45 ACP and 9mm simply WALK IN THE DOOR with no outwardly ill effect. I've seen people shot with the lowly .22LR come in by ambulance, in shock, near death.

I was an avid ballistics enthusiast for many years prior to entering the medical field and I felt (as most ballistics enthusiasts do), that large-bore, high-powered handgun rounds were THE thing to carry...and in fact this is true, but this refers to carrying calibers such as top-loaded .357 magnums, .41/.44 magnums and up. Perhaps hot loaded .45 ACP and 9mm with the right bullet and the right load (meaning hand load) can do the dance, but 20 years of SEEING FIRST-HAND what standard loads do has left me a bit "cold" on the subject.

First, human tissue does not react like ballistic gelatin regardless of what any "expert" claims. When a bullet enters and passes through a human, the tissue does not "fracture," nor does it remain "blown out" or in receipt of some mythical "crush cavity." What human tissue DOES is slough off bullet impacts with amazingly efficiency! I'm talking about low-powered bullets here of course. The whole "permanent crush cavity" thing is absolutely hysterical...I've SEEN probably thousands of bullet wounds created by low-powered handguns such as the 9mm, .38 spl, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, and NONE had "permanently crushed ballistic tracks!" NONE. The human body...TISSUE simply does not respond that way. Additionally, human skin stretches like a latex balloon and so does the underlying tissue...basically, subsonic bullets of ALL calibers kill by damaging or destroying necessary arteries/vessels/nerve tissue as they pass by, NOT by any mythical crush cavity, temporary, permanent, or otherwise.

Why am I going on such a tirade about this? Because the ONE caliber I have observed to be amazingly LETHAL is the lowly .22 Long Rifle. And I'm not talking about .22's fired from long barrels here....SHORT, pistol barrels provide all the impetus the .22LR needs to do amazing things FAR beyond what it should be able to do based upon paper statistics.

The 5.7x28 fits in the exact same category, only MAGNIFIED! A .22LR at 1200 fps impact will tumble wildly, and follow any "superhighway" it connects too...meaning veins, or sections between sinew and bone. The 5.7x28 will do the same. The .22LR generally starts out life with about 100 lb-ft. of KE depending on loading and barrel length yet the impact RESULT is far, FAR beyond what this number would suggest. The 5.7x28 starts out at close to twice the speed...meaning violent tumbling in tissue complete with fragmentation. If a bullet passes clean through a person it's carrying MOST of the kinetic energy with it. The REASON the 5.56x45 is so deadly is quite because the bullet was originally a "varmint" caliber not considered adequate for taking dangerous animals, YET when it comes to big, bad HUMANS, a varmint round does an amazing job! The 5.7x28 may impact with a mere 300 lb-ft of KE, yet the tumbling effect of the bullet when it comes to dumping all KE into the target CANNOT be ignored....well, it can by the "bigger is better" crowd, but only to their folly.

Anyway, after a couple of years dealing with GSW's of all calibers I realized that a .22LR is probably the IDEAL "carry gun"....and no, I don't expect to convince ANYONE of this, but it is based upon my actual experience. The 5.7x28 brings all that and DOUBLE to the table. Approximately 2.5-3X the KE, same lightweight bullet albeit constructed to penetrate, and it's not hard at all to see why the U.S. Secret Service carries the Five-Seven. Clearly others recognize the lethality of the cartridge!

The .40 S&W was supposed to be the Cat's meow...now thanks to government regulatory interference the .45 ACP is back in favor, yet none of the major police agencies choose it...why?

Having seen my share (and a few dozen other people's) of people shot by everything from the .22 up to .30'06 I know the rationale and the reason for the 5.7x28 becoming the standard...it gets the job done in a hurry!

Does this mean I think it is "better" than everything else...of course not! A high-powered rifle round from a rifle barrel is destructive of human tissue to a degree that simply must be seen to appreciated....UNLIKE TV, people shot with such rounds lose whatever future they might have had, and the same would be true of those hit by any "real" magnum handgun round.

I wish we could contrive some new, more accurate method of measuring ballistic effectiveness because as it stands people tend to shake out in the small bullet at high speed category, or the giant bullet walking out the barrel crowd. The fact is...VELOCITY is everything when it comes to bone fragmentation and tissue destruction. A bullet capable of punching through a Kevlar vest and plate will do the same to bone, and it will tumble and fragment dumping every shred of KE into the recipient.

I tend to think KE is THE "Gold Standard" based upon observed results, and truth be told a hit from a high-velocity, high-KE bullets are quite destructive, while large, slow bullets have no effect beyond that tissue they immediately contact.

The Five-Seven is THE carry solution. With the right ammo (Elite for those who cannot reload), it will punch through sheet steel with ease and tumble into flesh which makes it useful for anyone who contemplates a running gunfight on the road. "Penetrator" ammo will easily punch through door sheet steel that would stop magnum rounds designed to expand.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to test a variety of handgun loads on car doors and to my utter surprise the vaunted .44 magnum loaded with expanding point ammo had a hard time punching clean through...the Five-Seven punches through almost without saying.
View Quote
So much derp.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's kind of why I'm guessing around 800 at least for MSRP.

I would guess they want it to be priced under the FN, but not too low.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Why are people saying this thing will be expensive, because it’s a 5.7? Ruger made their brand off being a value competitor. That’s true of like, everything they’ve released the last several years. I’d be surprised if it street priced for much over $500 even during its initial release.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Out of a FN 4.8" pistol barrel: MV of approximately 1560 fps and ME of 216 ft. lbs. for the 5.7x28mm 40 grain

22 WMR out of a 6.5" barrel: Fired from a 6.5" pistol barrel the 40 grain loads register 1480 fps MV and 195 ft. lbs.

I couldn't find data for an equivalent barrel length
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.22 Mag performance at three times the price no thank you.
Out of a FN 4.8" pistol barrel: MV of approximately 1560 fps and ME of 216 ft. lbs. for the 5.7x28mm 40 grain

22 WMR out of a 6.5" barrel: Fired from a 6.5" pistol barrel the 40 grain loads register 1480 fps MV and 195 ft. lbs.

Or you can get a .22TCM that's at 2070fps out of a 5" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.22 Mag performance at three times the price no thank you.

That data is incorrect.

5.7x28 - 4.8" FN Five Seven

https://gunblast.com/FN-FiveseveN.htm

.22 Magnum - 4.3" PMR-30

https://gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30-2.htm

As an aside, props to Gunblast for their long history of doing firearm reviews with extensive chronograph data.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagging along. Hope they do it and do a decent job of it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why are people saying this thing will be expensive, because it’s a 5.7? Ruger made their brand off being a value competitor. That’s true of like, everything they’ve released the last several years. I’d be surprised if it street priced for much over $500 even during its initial release.
View Quote
Ruger makes value guns, but they also make plenty of guns that are fairly high priced for what they are.

Being a 5.7 will likely make it a lower volume gun for them. From the pic it appears to be similar to their other pistols, but clearly a new design. The economics of it suggest that they likely can't sell it at the same price point as their 9mm's. Factor in limited competition that allows them to price it slightly higher while still being the cheapest option, it makes good business sense.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I hoped for something like this the other day but it looks like Ruger has gone out of their way to make it look like an FN 57 or Keltec P30; I can confirm it is difficult to make a comfortable polymer grip in the shape of a triangle. If they would stick with non spaceman ergonomics they'd be better off. At a certain point it's just a suped up 17 win mag to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Ruger family isn't even part of the company anymore and it is publicly traded. Everyone running.Ruger today isn't connected to Bill Ruger. This is like blaming the current owners of S&W for the Clinton agreement the previous owners agreed too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to think that way, but guess what?  Old Ten Round Bill took a dirt nap and those that run the company even make AR15's for civilian sales.  I about shit myself the first time I saw a Ruger BX-25 magazine. Then I bought my first 10-22.
Yes, I'm well aware asshole Bill is dead. But *I* refuse to give Ruger ANY of my hard earned money. He sold gunowners out in order to appease the gun grabbers & he also REFUSED to sell Mini mags to civilians. He was a first class ASSHOLE to gun owners.

Nor has a single person in the current management staff apologized nor even bothered to say what he did was wrong. Not one.
The Ruger family isn't even part of the company anymore and it is publicly traded. Everyone running.Ruger today isn't connected to Bill Ruger. This is like blaming the current owners of S&W for the Clinton agreement the previous owners agreed too.
Some people just want to hold a grudge regardless of the actual situation and no amount of facts to the contrary will change their opinion.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#34]
LOL, Ruger......the gen1 will be recalled within 60 days of release. And I though Ruger did investment casting? What's with this billet steel slide? Last I knew billet came in a block and you milled it
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Am interested if priced right. And also a PCC57.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Or you can get a .22TCM that's at 2070fps out of a 5" barrel.
View Quote
5.7>TCM
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I really don't understand what demographic this is aimed at.
View Quote
Goofy bastards like me that don't do polymer guns...until we see...THIS!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They seem lacking? You must have never shot one.

I,and many others,have found that there is no easier gun for new shooters to hit stuff with than the PS90. The ergonomics are outstanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly I'd like to see a CZ Scorpion in that caliber. Or maybe an MPX. P90 is neat, but the ergonomics and whatnot seem a bit lacking.

I,and many others,have found that there is no easier gun for new shooters to hit stuff with than the PS90. The ergonomics are outstanding.
Mag swapping seems a bit cumbersome. Maybe if you use it a lot it becomes easier.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mag swapping seems a bit cumbersome. Maybe if you use it a lot it becomes easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly I'd like to see a CZ Scorpion in that caliber. Or maybe an MPX. P90 is neat, but the ergonomics and whatnot seem a bit lacking.

"seems" "maybe"

Have you shot one?  Have you changed the mags?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's called 'practice', and is true of every skill.. ever.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON OF MAN WHO WEARS EXPENSIVE ITALIAN FASCIST SUIT OF HAND SEWING, DRIVE HUGE EXPENSIVE NAZI MERCEDES OF A.M.G. SHOP, SAIL ON MASSIVE YACHT TO GREEK ISLANDS. I THINK YOU GET PICTURE. BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS WEAPON THAT SAYS IS NO SUCH THING AS CONCERN OF MONEY.

FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

FOR REST OF WORLD THERE IS 9 MILLIMETERS OF LUGER WHICH IS SAME WOUND FOR COST LESS.
View Quote

That’s pretty good...
I smiled big imagining a Russian fellow holding a tumbler of vodka speaking.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
The ps90 is an extremely easy gun to handle and shoot. Although if you hand someone an empty magazine and ask them to load it you'll get some really confused looks until they figure it out.

I don't think there is a better gun to hand a new shooter than a P90 or PS90. It is light, easy to shoot, has a good trigger (even given it's a bullpup), very little recoil, and is accurate. I make sure little kids especially get to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The ps90 is an extremely easy gun to handle and shoot. Although if you hand someone an empty magazine and ask them to load it you'll get some really confused looks until they figure it out.

I don't think there is a better gun to hand a new shooter than a P90 or PS90. It is light, easy to shoot, has a good trigger (even given it's a bullpup), very little recoil, and is accurate. I make sure little kids especially get to shoot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Five-Seven in the same way.  It's a great confidence builder for new shooters, all while remaining fun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hmmmm...a sub-$500 5.7?

I'd be game!
View Quote
I’m in!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I would buy the shit out of that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#46]
2,200fps seems to be the cutoff for catastrophic tissue damage.
I see only one 5.7 round (28gr) that exceeds that threshold (coming out of the pistol, anyway).

Very interesting video with ballistics experts at Federal Ammo.
Goto 5:10 to get into the meat and potatoes.

Why Ballistics Gel Works and Caliber Arguments are Dumb
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Eww.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7VouA-5gTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3nwMSRVLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzBRcOnKCp0

View Quote
LCD vs IIIa
Liberty Civil Defense 9mm and Body Armor

LCD 9mm is half or less the cost of T6 and is regular production ammo available now from multiple sources.
The other stuff is a two month wait while the boutique custom hand loader offering it assembles it at 2x+ the price.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LCD vs IIIa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6h44Pu4sM

LCD 9mm is half or less the cost of T6 and is regular production ammo available now from multiple sources.
The other stuff is a two month wait while the boutique custom hand loader assembles it at 2x+ the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7VouA-5gTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3nwMSRVLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzBRcOnKCp0

LCD vs IIIa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6h44Pu4sM

The other stuff is a two month wait while the boutique custom hand loader assembles it at 2x+ the price.
The problem with the Liberty 9mm is that it has the sectional density and ballistic coefficient of a disposable cup.

As such it loses velocity extremely quickly. And being essentially an empty hollow point, its penetrative ability is purely velocity based.... I'd be extremely curious to see how it performs at 15-25m, much less 100m.

Whereas 5.7 is a pointy chunk of solid aluminum or copper, which is inherently penetrative, much in the way that an icepick or arrow is. As such, its going to have a much further effective range.

Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

+++++

View Quote
So much derp in there. Who was the author of that ?
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top