BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With four RF bands and multi-mode system access, the APX 8000 knows no limits when it comes to interoperability. Whether it's loud or windy, whether you whisper or yell, the Adaptive Audio Engine and ultra-loud speaker bring clarity into every conversation. With Wi-Fi access, the APX 8000 can quickly receive new codeplugs, firmware and software features in order to redeploy the radio fleet with ease as users keep talking without interruption. Intuitively designed with a familiar look and feel, the compact APX 8000 is always comfortable to use, from your grip to your holster.

ALL-BAND OPERATION
4 Bands in 1 Radio: 7/800 MHz, VHF and UHF Range 1 and Range 2 bands
Modes and Protocols include: Analog MDC-1200 and QCII, Digital P25, Conventional or Trunked, Smartnet / SmartZone, clear or secure, repeater or direct

Add FPP to those for specialized groups radios and you have every bell and whistle known to man.

https://qrznow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/motorola_apx8000.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus. It pained me to give $1500 for my P25 radio. What is so special about those?
With four RF bands and multi-mode system access, the APX 8000 knows no limits when it comes to interoperability. Whether it's loud or windy, whether you whisper or yell, the Adaptive Audio Engine and ultra-loud speaker bring clarity into every conversation. With Wi-Fi access, the APX 8000 can quickly receive new codeplugs, firmware and software features in order to redeploy the radio fleet with ease as users keep talking without interruption. Intuitively designed with a familiar look and feel, the compact APX 8000 is always comfortable to use, from your grip to your holster.

ALL-BAND OPERATION
Modes and Protocols include: Analog MDC-1200 and QCII, Digital P25, Conventional or Trunked, Smartnet / SmartZone, clear or secure, repeater or direct

Add FPP to those for specialized groups radios and you have every bell and whistle known to man.

Those are what we have.  Being able to use the dual band is nice when trying to talk to different agencies who all have their own dispatch centers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
were they not already using the Springfield Pro FBI model?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lots of folks in this thread who have no personal experience with STI sure like to throw their opinion around like they know everything. I have no problem with the expenditure and would carry my STI as a duty gun with no hesitation. It's an awesome platform and in my personal experience has been 100% reliable with every type of ammunition I have thrown at it.

https://i.imgur.com/Hyj4q57.jpg
View Quote
Thats sexy
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1911 type pistols don’t take well to double stack magazines. Delta found this out with the ParaOrd/Baer pistols, and the STI 40s&w.

For competition where you can baby your mags and tweak your pistol before every match, sure.

The Wilson EDC9 is a fantastic pistol, but not totally a 1911. Should have just gone to Wilson and asked for a larger version.

The new Glocks have an improved trigger, still not great. The HK VP9 has a great trigger and they make a long slide and button mag release version now.

Shit, even HRT doesn’t run 1911s any longer.

A friend in SO runs a STI for 2/3gun and it is indeed a very nice pistol.
View Quote
Huh.  I guess I've been doing it wrong.

My 2011 gets cleaned every 1000 rounds just like my Glocks.

My mags get dropped multiple times every match and I clean them once a season.

I'll have to be more careful in the future.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard the second gen STI magazines are much better, and the current STI guns are very well done.

I'd like to snag one, but I'd have to do a lot of shooting with it to trust it for duty type use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dude, stop, even if the safety is off you still need to hit the trigger. It’s not a common problem. If your holster is so shitty that if after the thumb safety is deactivated and it has no grip safety aka Glock it’s going to go boom if the trigger is pressed.  Your arguments are fucking stupid and borderline retarded.
View Quote
Well hell let’s just get rid of the safety while we’re at it. Apparently it’s not necessary as long as you have a good holster.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ALL-BAND OPERATION

View Quote
I have one of those.  They're sweet, but I'll probably never use it to its full potential.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
STI RULES, GLOCK DROOLS.

https://i.imgur.com/knHz7Xn.jpg
View Quote
Hell yes !!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
were they not already using the Springfield Pro FBI model?
View Quote
Railed Pro iirc
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True, but this part of the article gave me pause, as we're talking about a gun with an MSRP of $2499.00:
View Quote
So they market an LE model that some departments across the country have decided to buy.  I don't see the problem.

If those departments have a budget for a gun like that so be it.  And a lot of LEO's buy their own duty pistols with their own money.  If they can and want to buy that gun, good for them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Huh.  I guess I've been doing it wrong.

My 2011 gets cleaned every 1000 rounds just like my Glocks.

My mags get dropped multiple times every match and I clean them once a season.

I'll have to be more careful in the future.
View Quote
That’s how my Edge was. It ran filthy. My 9mms not so much but I’ll get there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
They aren't paying MSRP for those guns. I would imagine quite a bit less than LE price when you're purchasing that many. A well educated guess is in the $1600 range.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They aren't paying MSRP for those guns. I would imagine quite a bit less than LE price when you're purchasing that many. A well educated guess is in the $1600 range.
View Quote
What is that like half of retail?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Standard Staccato P is $2000, and the optics model is $2500. Those are reasonable prices in the 2011 world.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lol I'm comparing the pistols wielded by the finest direct action troops on the planet vs us Marshall's who will probably never clear leather with their sidearm.  Considerably more valid than bringing F1 drivers into the discussion.  Go ahead and justify why Marshall's need a 2k plus race gun in their holster.  I'll be here all night.  Nothing but a look at me move.
View Quote
Considering the US Marshal's SOG are stationed on a military base and train almost exclusively with said finest direct action troops on the planet. I'd say their opinion on what works is pretty valid. They have a massive state of the art facility and and the best resources that the federal government has to offer at their disposal (whether its for military or law enforcement applications). Also plenty of them have had action in their own right.

They also have a rather large budget so buying them each two STI handguns isn't really going to strain their budget.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Considering the US Marshal's SOG are stationed on a military base and train almost exclusively with said finest direct action troops on the planet. I'd say their opinion on what works is pretty valid. They have a massive state of the art facility and and the best resources that the federal government has to offer at their disposal (whether its for military or law enforcement applications). Also plenty of them have had action in their own right.

They also have a rather large budget so buying them each two STI handguns isn't really going to strain their budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol I'm comparing the pistols wielded by the finest direct action troops on the planet vs us Marshall's who will probably never clear leather with their sidearm.  Considerably more valid than bringing F1 drivers into the discussion.  Go ahead and justify why Marshall's need a 2k plus race gun in their holster.  I'll be here all night.  Nothing but a look at me move.

Sounds like they have too much money if buying two STI handguns per DM doesn't strain their budget
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Still think glock would have been a better choice but I will say that the one thing I miss about my fnx45 was the feeling of my thumb on the hammer as I was holstering. I could FEEL that I was not fucking up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
STI and Dawson are local companies and you see a lot of them used by cops here. Glad to hear the mag issue is resolved.  Great guns but I seem to have get one for everyone now, not a problem as a single guy but outfitting a family of four?  Sorry kids suck it up and love the G19.

I have 2 STI 1911’s and they are great guns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The fact that you can't admit the 2011 offers advantages over the pig that is glock speaks volumes. Hey, you do you and I'll  do me and I'll rejoice that the Marshals got the gov to pay for the 2011 instead of some funky new fangled keyboard for their compiters.  
View Quote
So which “tier 1” military units are currently using 2011s?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Still think glock would have been a better choice
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that you can't admit the 2011 offers advantages over the pig that is glock speaks volumes. Hey, you do you and I'll  do me and I'll rejoice that the Marshals got the gov to pay for the 2011 instead of some funky new fangled keyboard for their compiters.  
Who gives a fuck?  I know a few guys who are in the Marshals service and they are switched on.   If that is the pistol that they want, they have good reasons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then they should know that CAG already tried to go down the 2011 route and it didn't work.

*No, I'm not a Glock fanboy*
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then they should know that CAG already tried to go down the 2011 route and it didn't work.

View Quote
Virtually two different companies making the guns at this point.  By all accounts the current STIs have resolved most issues seen with earlier 2011 attempts at duty guns, to include the CAG attempt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Which tier 1 military units rely on their pistol as their primary weapon???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's be honest, no one intends to rely on a pistol as the primary. If they know they're going to fight the rifles come out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, the JSOC units do a lot of low vis stuff. Their job isn't COD 24/7. One guy told me that all that he carried for 2 years was his 226 while deployed.

That's is why they have G26's, P239's etc in their inventory.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Listening to the STI rep, it seems that CAG wanted 2011s while STI didn't actually want to sell to CAG so they could continue to focus on their current consumers.
View Quote
I find it hard to believe that any company would turn down the opportunity to equip CAG with their guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's about what 2011s were going for (as I'm sure you're aware) before STI axed 75% of their lineup and jacked prices up.  I think the current STI offerings are overpriced but if they can sell them, more power to them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]
That’s retarded.

After seeing how much effort high-volume shooters put into keeping their STI’s running in USPSA, it’s doubly retarded.

They shoot really nice when running 100%, but I’m lazy and just want to put bullets in a gun and have it work so I shoot CZ’s.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's about what 2011s were going for (as I'm sure you're aware) before STI axed 75% of their lineup and jacked prices up.  I think the current STI offerings are overpriced but if they can sell them, more power to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. The most I spent on one was $1800 for a like new Tactical 5.0 the least was the same gun beat to shit for $1300 with a bunch of mags and a holster. Can’t remember what I paid for my Edge but it was $15-1600 which was high for the shape it was in.

I really want one of the newer guns with the built in comp (Costa Carry, Magnum PI, etc) because it would be great for a fun gun to shoot our local steel matches with. I just can’t bring myself to spend $3400 or more on one as little as I shoot anymore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair-  It wasn't that it didn't work.  It was a combination of factors from the volume of maintenance time required, the armorer level support, the cost, the mags having to be replaced regularly, and the fact that it is a secondary weapon.  No secondary weapon should consume that much time/energy/money.

There is a finite amount of time/energy in a given unit and that time is best spent on primary weapons, training, PT, comms, med, and similar...not secondary weapons.

So, it isn't that the STI wasn't workable...it is that it wasn't a good balance of cost/performance for their specific mission.

A unit that considers the pistol to be a primary weapon could reach a different conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck?  I know a few guys who are in the Marshals service and they are switched on.   If that is the pistol that they want, they have good reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes the reason is someone else is paying for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In the decade abs a half plus since that was tried, STI has developed a new mag that doesn't require tuning.

STI has also undergone a management and personnel charge and done a revamp of their live with the focus on serving the military and LE community.

Listening to the STI rep, it seems that CAG wanted 2011s while STI didn't actually want to sell to CAG so they could continue to focus on their current consumers.

I'm not the biggest 1911 guy due to their inherent issues, but it seems in the past 2 years STI has become serious about making a fighting handgun and not just a base gun that gets sent to a gunsmith before its even shot.

Listening to guys like Cowan, Fischer, etc... And seeing the large agencies who are adopting it provides new data points to my personal opinion.

Three a lot of stupid in this thread (not you) and it really highlights why gun consumers shouldn't be listened to by gun companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the decade abs a half plus since that was tried, STI has developed a new mag that doesn't require tuning.

STI has also undergone a management and personnel charge and done a revamp of their live with the focus on serving the military and LE community.

I'm not the biggest 1911 guy due to their inherent issues, but it seems in the past 2 years STI has become serious about making a fighting handgun and not just a base gun that gets sent to a gunsmith before its even shot.

Listening to guys like Cowan, Fischer, etc... And seeing the large agencies who are adopting it provides new data points to my personal opinion.

Three a lot of stupid in this thread (not you) and it really highlights why gun consumers shouldn't be listened to by gun companies.
So... in a nutshell you are saying that in the last couple years STI has redesigned their guns and mags to be reliable from the factory?

Rather than dropping vague and unnecessary insults ("there is a lot of stupid in this thread") why don't you give us some more specifics about what you know that others might not?

I have always wanted to like the 2011 but my personal observations of them failing in use has eliminated them from consideration for me. If something significant has changed, I would certainly reconsider.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I like SVI better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That’s retarded.

After seeing how much effort high-volume shooters put into keeping their STI’s running in USPSA, it’s doubly retarded.

They shoot really nice when running 100%, but I’m lazy and just want to put bullets in a gun and have it work so I shoot CZ’s.
View Quote
Are you talking about Open or Limited guns?

I rarely see issues with Limited 2011's.

Open guns are another story....
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I want this, pretty badly, but I can’t say I understand it for duty use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe that any company would turn down the opportunity to equip CAG with their guns.
View Quote
1 it was in .40 and not reliable, 2 STI was smaller then and really couldn’t supply the numbers of pistol wanted.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The "stupid" comment is not really about the brand reputation (one that frankly they've earned, unfortunately) there's lots of willful ignorance about who the customer is, who SOG is, the number of agents, etc...

As for the recent changes in the company, those are well documented in the primary and secondary podcast (posted in this thread). While it should be taken in the context of a company rep, it is pretty honest in the culture and goals of the company before its changed. As a start listen to that podcast.

Then read what guys like Aaron Cowan have said about the performance in his classes; he hasn't seen any failures with the staccato guns at all. There's lots of other info if you look, I'm not privy to anything that isn't out there; I just look and pay attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... in a nutshell you are saying that in the last couple years STI has redesigned their guns and mags to be reliable from the factory?

Rather than dropping vague and unnecessary insults ("there is a lot of stupid in this thread") why don't you give us some more specifics about what you know that others might not?

I have always wanted to like the 2011 but my personal observations of them failing in use has eliminated them from consideration for me. If something significant has changed, I would certainly reconsider.
The "stupid" comment is not really about the brand reputation (one that frankly they've earned, unfortunately) there's lots of willful ignorance about who the customer is, who SOG is, the number of agents, etc...

As for the recent changes in the company, those are well documented in the primary and secondary podcast (posted in this thread). While it should be taken in the context of a company rep, it is pretty honest in the culture and goals of the company before its changed. As a start listen to that podcast.

Then read what guys like Aaron Cowan have said about the performance in his classes; he hasn't seen any failures with the staccato guns at all. There's lots of other info if you look, I'm not privy to anything that isn't out there; I just look and pay attention.
Gotchya, thanks.

Their new guns certainly are interesting but their new pricing is equally intense.

I am sure they are nice guns and if I had an unlimited budget like the Marshalls I'd probably run one too assuming the reliability is there which it sounds like it is now.

Shooting things with pistols isn't my main job so I'll stick with my SP-01 Shadow for 1/3 the cost.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'll stick with my SP-01 Shadow for 1/3 the cost.
View Quote
Shadows are only $650? I thought they were closer to $1000
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are but it looks like the STIs are about $3k
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have that podcast bookmarked but haven’t gotten a chance to listen to it yet.
Quoted:

They're $2k which for a dead reliable 9mm 1911 pattern gun is pretty solid. Look at DWs 1911s at $1800 or Wilson's at $3k. A Chambers Nightfighter 2011 which seems to be the reliability standard for these type of guns is $5k.

I get balking at $2k for a pistol. But it's actually less than these custom Glocks are costing.

The big deal is also the mags. Used to be you'd be paying $150-200 per tuned mag. Now the Gen 2 mags are available for $40 (same as SIG, HK, etc) and don't need to be tuned.
View Quote
I am still considering some MBX mags because they seem to have a decent reputation and I also like the intermediate length they offer 150whatever.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They're $2k which for a dead reliable 9mm 1911 pattern gun is pretty solid. Look at DWs 1911s at $1800 or Wilson's at $3k. A Chambers Nightfighter 2011 which seems to be the reliability standard for these type of guns is $5k.

I get balking at $2k for a pistol. But it's actually less than these custom Glocks are costing.

The big deal is also the mags. Used to be you'd be paying $150-200 per tuned mag. Now the Gen 2 mags are available for $40 (same as SIG, HK, etc) and don't need to be tuned.
View Quote
Ok I looked at the wrong model then, $2k is a lot more reasonable than $3k for an iron sighted gun.

Not balking, just commenting on value for the dollar. The CZ does 98% of what a 2011 does and yes I have shot both quite a bit.

Glad it is an American company though, that's certainly worth something. I don't think they made a bad choice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some top of the line STIs are, but non RMR'd version has a MSRP of $2k which you can find for below and the LE discount is generous I'm told. I didn't want to use LE pricing as the direct comparison since I'm not LE and have to buy at whatever price I can find available, plus there might be CZ LE pricing I am not aware of.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Something I don't get about the "get a glock" view...

Chuck from Presscheck has said multiple times, that he was issued both 1911s and Glocks while in the Army.  His numerical pistols scores were demonstrably lower with the Glocks....and that isn't with stock Glocks.

No matter how you slice it, the top 1% of shooters can run a 1911 better than they can run a Glock.  For the other 99%, the value added is questionable...but for that 1%...

I see no issue with the guys who can run in that 1%, having 1% guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Some top of the line STIs are, but non RMR'd version has a MSRP of $2k which you can find for below and the LE discount is generous I'm told. I didn't want to use LE pricing as the direct comparison since I'm not LE and have to buy at whatever price I can find available, plus there might be CZ LE pricing I am not aware of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a bone stock Shadow for about $900 these days. $2k for a factory reliable 2011 is a pretty solid deal, I agree.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Something I don't get about the "get a glock" view...

Chuck from Presscheck has said multiple times, that he was issued both 1911s and Glocks while in the Army.  His numerical pistols scores were demonstrably lower with the Glocks....and that isn't with stock Glocks.

No matter how you slice it, the top 1% of shooters can run a 1911 better than they can run a Glock.  For the other 99%, the value added is questionable...but for that 1%...

I see no issue with the guys who can run in that 1%, having 1% guns.
View Quote
You lost me at Army pistol scores.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have that podcast bookmarked but haven’t gotten a chance to listen to it yet.

I am still considering some MBX mags because they seem to have a decent reputation and I also like the intermediate length they offer 150whatever.
View Quote
Mag tuning is not difficult.  Atlas has a series of videos that walks you through it.

I tuned 5 myself in a couple hours.  All hold 20 rounds of .40 and cost under $100 a piece.

STI Gen 1 tubes
Dawson SNL bases
Grams spring and follower

I didn't have good luck with Taran followers.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top