Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Okinawan's practiced full contact sparring. Some martial art's masters used their internal energy (Ki/Chi) to accept full power blows that would literally kill an ordinary man without sustaining any injury. See the world record kick to the groin episode of Fox Sport's Science on Youtube as one example. The Okinawan's would also practice breakfalls on hardwood floors with no mats. They were much tougher in those days and ligaments actually healed better before modern medicine got involve with the use of NSAID's. They also had their own methods of healing these types of injuries.
View Quote
sorry, that's straight out of ninja magazine. a magic super power that allows you to sustain life threatening injuries unscathed due to your martial mastery is complete fantasy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most of the videos I’ve posted are English language. I had to learn when only Cantonese was spoken and I only took 2 years of Mandarin in college.
There’s no slaps. There’s “chops” to the neck, open palm usually to chest, neck or chin and punches. The primary goal is to control the opponent’s body by being close {closing the distance like a wrestler would, about arms length distance} then controlling the hands and driving thru their center kind of the way a tank drives thru shit in its way, using the power deriving from the legs moving forward but [b]not the shoulders, hips and leg style of western boxing illustrated by this Gif  
View Quote
I consider it slap fighting since from what I've seen they use arm punches, with little force behind them. I actually cross trained in it, just a bit and long ago (late 70s or very early 80s).

Edits to add: the bolded just registered. Yeah, I don't think that cuts it in the power department.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe he is the wing chun master.
Don't bring your wing chun to a kickboxing fight...
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is 4 styles: MT, boxing, wrestling, and BJJ.

The issue with Judo is that it is jacket wrestling and jackets are not required in the ring. Also, Judo doesn't allow the wrestling style leg attacks that are usually the easiest takedowns.

Karate/TKD have a lot of kicks that can add to MMA. Sidekick, spinning back kick, spinning heel kick, etc.  A spinning heel kick can be a real fight ender if used right, but first you have to survive against an opponent with grappling and boxing skills. So you need grappling and boxing skills as well.
View Quote
What I’ve learned in life is that you’ll never truly reach the top but you keep trying anyway. It takes a lifetime to master one thing, yet ideally you have to know everything. You’d need several lifetimes before you could consider referring to yourself as a master and then there’s firearms proficiency, weapons like knives, etc. it’s simply not possible to Matrix style download everything you’d need to know {much less experience} yet you strive to do your best. Most people don’t even master the basics of whatever it is they spend their time on
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

sorry, that's straight out of ninja magazine. a magic super power that allows you to sustain life threatening injuries unscathed due to your martial mastery is complete fantasy.
View Quote
There are people who actually think they can do it, their followers will act "as expected" and the stuff "works". But when they try it with a real fighter it fails badly. I'm conflicted, it's fun to watch but also seems cruel like beating up retards.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bas Rutten.
One of my favorite fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FDEkXEcqaw
View Quote
Nice guy, a family man and a gentleman. He lives in southern California for all you guys wanting to drop a nuke on this state Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I consider it slap fighting since from what I've seen they use arm punches, with little force behind them. I actually cross trained in it, just a bit and long ago (late 70s or very early 80s).

Edits to add: the bolded just registered. Yeah, I don't think that cuts it in the power department.
View Quote
If you ever visit San Francisco I can introduce you and then let me know Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I think something can probably be taken from each of the martial arts.  Machida for example had good success because of his karate skills.  But he was definitely the exception, not the norm.  It has been proven time and time again that fighters who are proficient in the 3 I mentioned above do best in the sport......or we can dumb it down even further by simply saying that having good skills in wrestling, ground game and stand up is what's necessary.  My point was only that just being a master at one discipline will get your ass kicked by someone who is more well rounded.
View Quote
see that hand? Hand control is everything
(21 tried 21 Denied) DIL WITHERS - TIDES
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What I’ve learned in life is that you’ll never truly reach the top but you keep trying anyway. It takes a lifetime to master one thing, yet ideally you have to know everything. You’d need several lifetimes before you could consider referring to yourself as a master and then there’s firearms proficiency, weapons like knives, etc. it’s simply not possible to Matrix style download everything you’d need to know {much less experience} yet you strive to do your best. Most people don’t even master the basics of whatever it is they spend their time on
View Quote
I'd say it is important to prioritize.

For unarmed the highest priority is grappling, making sure to get both ground fighting skills and takedown skills. Then striking skills.

For armed, I'd focus on pistol and carbine, first on basic skills then on more advanced skills.

I'd put knives low on the list, but if you have good grappling skills and striking skills you should pick the knife up fast. Grappling is important with blades, there is a reason they used to say "the best grappler is the one who usually wins the sword fight" (this wouldn't apply to all types of sword fighting).
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone spent too long learning how to hit, and not enough time learning how to take a hit and/or not get hit.
View Quote
That "master" was slower than i used to be, with no claim to being even close to mastery of Chinese martial arts.
Even during my brief stint of kickboxing in the Army I managed to learn to take a punch & keep going.
The master needs to fire his trainers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Since GD loves MMA and the UFC; Jon Jones, George St. Pierre, Tyrone Woodley etc.
Highlight best takedown defense in MMA UFC
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are people who actually think they can do it, their followers will act "as expected" and the stuff "works". But when they try it with a real fighter it fails badly. I'm conflicted, it's fun to watch but also seems cruel like beating up retards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been well documented with many major TV specials from real fighters as I've already posted many times. Sold out Madison Square Garden demo's. Heavyweight Champion boxers, MMA Champions, NFL Hall of Famer's/Super Bowl Champions, American Gladiator's, etc. have all taken their best shots.

You guys spent more time smack talking something you clearly know nothing about than it would have taken you to copy and paste the video I referenced and see it for yourself. Enough info in the video from Fox Sport's Science to learn more. You could even seek them out and find out for yourself, as I have.

The "martial arts" are nothing like you've seen on TV and in the movies. Very few martial arts have survived to the present day. Outlawed in Okinawa and Japan after WWII and eliminated from China by the Communists. You have no idea what you're talking about. I suppose you believe the guy in OP's video is actually a Wing Chung master as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been on the receiving end of those kicks to the leg.  They absolutely take the will to fight right out of a fella.
View Quote
Which is exactly what happened. After about the second one the guy started thinking if I take a few more of those I won't be able to walk, drops hands- headkick.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly a team of thai boxers went to Japan in the 70s

I think there were 7 fights against karate champions. All the Japanese were knocked out quickly.

If karate doesn’t have a chance wing chun certainly doesn’t
View Quote
My first MMA fight was against a 50 degree (joking I don’t know many degrees but it was over 10) he was supposedly one of the best in the state at karate.

I was a little nervous due to me also being a predominantly stand up fighter but with a Muay Thai base with a little boxing mixed in. My BJJ and wresting was only average. I went in wanting to take him down after getting him dodging a few jabs but realized he couldn’t even set up a proper kick or teep or push kick to let him control the distance.

Long story short it only lasted 3 minutes and I dominated on stand up for a few minutes with me controlling every aspect of distance,  slammed him down and mounted for a gnp TKO.  Unless you are wonderboy Thompson or Lyoto Machida stick with what works and don’t let your kid get beat up by teaching him karate, there are killers starting MMA at 3 years old some at our gym who came with their dads (my kid included) while some kids are learning poses they are learning punch and kick combos with a solid BJJ/wrestling base. If you are determined to go traditional go with Judo or wrestling as a base.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So obvious that the kick boxer was setting him up for that right roundhouse kick even I could see it.
View Quote
Yep.  Wingman got backed right into a trap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's been well documented with many major TV specials from real fighters as I've already posted many times. Sold out Madison Square Garden demo's. Heavyweight Champion boxers, MMA Champions, NFL Hall of Famer's/Super Bowl Champions, American Gladiator's, etc. have all taken their best shots.

You guys spent more time smack talking something you clearly know nothing about than it would have taken you to copy and paste the video I referenced and see it for yourself. Enough info in the video from Fox Sport's Science to learn more. You could even seek them out and find out for yourself, as I have.

The "martial arts" are nothing like you've seen on TV and in the movies. Very few martial arts have survived to the present day. Outlawed in Okinawa and Japan after WWII and eliminated from China by the Communists. You have no idea what you're talking about. I suppose you believe the guy in OP's video is actually a Wing Chung master as well.
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRuZLrJQIaQ
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unlike China, in Okinawa and Japan their are actually still organizations that certify actual traditional martial arts VS. BS. So it's easier to find out who actually has attained Master and Grandmaster rankings. True martial arts have a lineage like a family tree, many going back hundreds of years with documentation from teacher to student.

So, martial arts practitioners don't get to refer to themselves as a master or grandmaster, it's a title that's bestowed upon them after attaining certain ranks under accredited teachers/systems.

I trained in a system of martial arts under an accredited grand master. The system includes 5 seperate arts involving striking, throwing, sword, weapons and Ki/internal energy. So, while it is a lifetime of work to attain that kind of status, it is entirely possible to be an accredited/recognized master/grandmaster in multiple traditional Okinawan or Japanese arts. These arts have been handed down directly from teacher to student for hundreds of years with painstaking documentation and are still taught and practiced today in much the same manner that they were taught and utilized on the ancient battlefields in the orient.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since GD loves MMA and the UFC; Jon Jones, George St. Pierre, Tyrone Woodley etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0y7zUwyd6g
View Quote
Yup like I said earlier wrestling matters. In my opinion if you wanna be a good fighter wrestling is the best starting point. A good wrestler can dictate the if the fight  stays up or goes to the ground.

And I’m a BJJ guy.

That said I do BJJ because I love it not primarily for self defense. I prefer Glock jitsu for that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I recommend reading up on Rome, Greece and other Iron Age era cultures martial arts sometime. It’s very informative
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a link to the videos of this well documented phenomenon?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup like I said earlier wrestling matters. In my opinion if you wanna be a good fighter wrestling is the best starting point. A good wrestler can dictate the if the fight  stays up or goes to the ground.

And I’m a BJJ guy.

That said I do BJJ because I love it not primarily for self defense. I prefer Glock jitsu for that.
View Quote
Friend of mine who retired from the USAF and CIA does Judo for hobby. He’s been doing it for decades. But now in his 50s he’s got a knee injury which is depressing, as his hobbies keep him grounded post divorce and he really enjoys collecting C&R, shooting Garands, Judo and cooking. His ex wife was a really mean, nasty and awful woman
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice guy, a family man and a gentleman. He lives in California for all you guys wanting to drop a nuke on this state
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bas Rutten.
One of my favorite fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FDEkXEcqaw
Nice guy, a family man and a gentleman. He lives in California for all you guys wanting to drop a nuke on this state
Love the story about how  Bas Rutten almost beat the shit out of Brian urlacher.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRuZLrJQIaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8cNQzV_BOM video starts at 1:00. Full power strikes to the throat, groin, and solar plexus. Many more examples as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unlike China, in Okinawa and Japan their are actually still organizations that certify actual traditional martial arts VS. BS. So it's easier to find out who actually has attained Master and Grandmaster rankings. True martial arts have a lineage like a family tree, many going back hundreds of years with documentation from teacher to student.

So, martial arts practitioners don't get to refer to themselves as a master or grandmaster, it's a title that's bestowed upon them after attaining certain ranks under accredited teachers/systems.

I trained in a system of martial arts under an accredited grand master. The system includes 5 seperate arts involving striking, throwing, sword, weapons and Ki/internal energy. So, while it is a lifetime of work to attain that kind of status, it is entirely possible to be an accredited/recognized master/grandmaster in multiple traditional Okinawan or Japanese arts. These arts have been handed down directly from teacher to student for hundreds of years with painstaking documentation and are still taught and practiced today in much the same manner that they were taught and utilized on the ancient battlefields in the orient.
View Quote
I’ve never met a legitimate master of any martial art in China lot of phonies and con games
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never mind.  Found it.

Chi Power WooWoo fails - Fantasy vs Reality
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8cNQzV_BOM

1100 ft. lb. kick to the groin. 600 ft. lb. knife hand strike to the throat at the 5:00 minute mark. Many other TV documentaries on these guys over the 40+ years.

You can read Curtis Wong's (publisher of Inside Karate/Inside Kung Fu) account of witnessing one of their demo's at Inside Kung Fu's headquarters. Copy and paste below:

CURTIS WONG ON JUKO-RYU COMBAT KI™

Due to the tremendous amount of world-wide interest in Rod Sacharnoski’s Combat-Ki™ system, we thought that browsers would enjoy reading an interview with Curtis Wong, Publisher of Inside Kung-Fu and Inside Karate magazines (to name but a few), who also appeared in several episodes of the highly popular “Kung-Fu” series with David Carradine.  This excerpt is from the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Volume 9, Number 3, 2000. The entire article is 19 pages long, so we’ll pick up on where he begins to speak of Soke Sacharnoski and his demo team...

Question: Is there anything that stood out in a phenomenal way about people you met over the years?

Yeah, Rod Sacharnoski.  His group used to write to us at the office. They would claim that he could take a full hit to the throat….you know, punches and kicks to the temple.  “You can kick him directly in the groin.”  I said “this guys gotta be a wacko.”  We never responded.  Then one day three guys showed up in my office on a Saturday.  Nice guys, dressed up in suits.  One guy says his name is Rod Sacharnoski, and said he’s the one that has been writing to us and we never wrote back.  I said “Oh, man, this guy’s a nut case here!”  But he’s a real gentleman.  All the guys there were really, really nice people.  Where are they from?  What’s their background?  He was a Chief of Police back East somewhere.  I can’t remember the state.  They may be jujitsu people.  And they started doing little demos in my office.  Sacharnoski asked one of the guys to whack him right in the temple. I told him “Don’t do that here.”  I’m thinking lawsuit.  I said “I’ll tell you what.  Tomorrow I’ll get some of the top black belts here to witness all this.” So they said “Ok, fine.”

So I got Tadashi Yamashita, Ed Parker, I think Mike Stone, Tino Tuliosega...some of the key guys.  I tried to get a lot more but it was a last minute notice.  Everyone witnessed the whole demonstration, and Ed Parker’s black belt, Tino, had a big Samoan guy that was a black belt.  These are the guys that hit their guys in the temple and kicked them in the groin.  It didn’t even faze them.  I remember afterwards, Ed Parker took off and he called me later at the office and he said “Who are these guys?”  It scared the heck out of him.  He’d never seen anything like that before.  Did they give any indication of how they learned to do this?  Well, they tried to explain it, but we couldn’t grasp it.  That was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen!  It would be different if their students hit their own masters.  They could fake it.  But it was our guys, as a matter of fact, even James was one of the guys that hit Sacharnoski.  One guy was hit in the front of the throat, the other guy was hitting the guy in the back of the neck, another two guys were hitting the side of the neck at the same time...full-blast.  The guy just stood there.  It was unreal.  They couldn’t even knock Sacharnoski off-balance.  Oh, you could knock him off balance, but that’s what I asked him, I said “Ok, if you hit a guy and the guy takes a punch and goes back a little bit, you know from the punch…” and he said, “oh, no, put the guys head against the wall.”  And the guy started kicking him on the head.  That was a scary thing.  I mean the guy got on his knees and put his head against the wall and this guy side-kicked him on the temple.  There’s no place to go.  We all had chills (laughter).  It’s unbelievable!  Then one guy got in the horse stance, a wide horse stance, and was kicked straight up on the balls until he lifted the guy up, and that’s amazing.  It wasn’t a trick.  That’s probably one of the best demos I’ve ever seen.

Question: Did you ever do an article on these guys?

Oh, yeah, quite a few articles and people didn’t believe it. They were even featured on the Wide World of Sports on television when they had this big tournament coverage.  I think it was aired in a big tournament in New York. They did a demo there and people wrote in saying it’s fake, but it wasn’t.

*The initial exhibition that Curtis spoke of took place in 1974 in the Hollywood offices of Inside Kung-Fu magazine.  This demo was featured in an Inside Kung-Fu magazine shortly thereafter, with Rod Sacharnoski appearing on the front cover. This was one of several articles that Rod Sacharnoski did for Inside Kung-Fu and their other publications.

*The ABC’s Wide World Of Sports exhibition that Curtis referred to took place in 1974 at Madison Square Garden, New York City.  This event took place before a packed house, and was the first public exhibition that Professor Sacharnoski and his team completed that was aired on national television (ABC's Wide World Of Sports).  Joe Hess, (6’5” or so) who at that time was the World Heavyweight Kickboxing Champion, did the actual punching and kicking on Rod’s students.  Look for Soke Sacharnoski’s Combat-Ki™ exhibitions on such nationally televised programs as You Asked For It, Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, Seeing Is Believing, The Learning Channels Ultimate 10 Martial Arts, The Discovery Channel’s Way of the Warrior, Univision,  with others on the way.  Hope you enjoyed this part of Curtis Wong’s interview.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’ve never met a legitimate master of any martial art in China lot of phonies and con games http://img.gmw.cn/images/attachement/jpg/site2/20170122/f44d305ea55319ee4e9340.jpg
View Quote
My experience as well. There are no organizations in China that I've ever heard of to sort it all out. Leaves it wide open to the fakes and phonies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Friend of mine who retired from the USAF and CIA does Judo for hobby. He’s been doing it for decades. But now in his 50s he’s got a knee injury which is depressing, as his hobbies keep him grounded post divorce and he really enjoys collecting C&R, shooting Garands, Judo and cooking. His ex wife was a really mean, nasty and awful woman
View Quote
Tell him to transition to BJJ. Probably not as hard on the body. We do throws at our school and that shit hurts after a while.

Btw what’s your training history? Arts trained belts ranks etc. Not calling you out I’m genuinely curious you seem to be really knowledgeable about this stuff.

Me, I’m just a 46 yr old BJJ purple belt with  a 39 yr old blue belt wife.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#31]
It ain't a real test unless they allow "The Monkey Steals the Peach" moves.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’ve never met a legitimate master of any martial art in China lot of phonies and con games http://img.gmw.cn/images/attachement/jpg/site2/20170122/f44d305ea55319ee4e9340.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much of Japanese karate has been sporterized as well. Before he went crazy dillman had some interesting theories. As toward grappling techniques in karate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8cNQzV_BOM video starts at 1:00. Full power strikes to the throat, groin, and solar plexus. Many more examples as well.
View Quote
Sorry brother. Those are FAR from full power shots, you can even see him doing the pre-recoil dance.

I'm n ot buying it, not today when there are more than plenty of counters to that rehearsed demonstration.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It ain't a real test unless they allow "The Monkey Steals the Peach" moves.
View Quote
Haven’t encountered any guys wearing cups in my streetfights so far but a few MMA guys have gotten rocked wearing them Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry brother. Those are FAR from full power shots, you can even see him doing the pre-recoil dance.

I'm n ot buying it, not today when there are more than plenty of counters to that rehearsed demonstration.
View Quote
LOL, pre recoil dance? If it's that easy, show us how it's done. Look these guys up and go experience it for yourself and report back about how fake it is, LOL. They take these strikes with their heads against a brick wall as well. Here is another example, punches striking simultaneously front of throat, back and both side of neck at the same time. Watch the whole thing or fast forward to 9:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5SVkgRTVs&list=PL5D633F734C37B99C&index=8&t=537s
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Not that it’s common but the Chinese wushu fighter Zhang destroyed in a minute the Brazilian May Thai champ for the female belt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Nah, I'm cool. I can see it clearly in the video.

Why are you defending Ki practitioners?  What do you have to say about the other videos that counter what you are supporting? Are they fake?

ETA - Fine, I watched it. Again I see a rehearsed show, everybody involved is in on it. Sure, he get's hit in the neck pretty hard, so what? That in and of itself does not support your assertion that Ki is a magic umbrella that works. Not at all.

Have your thing though. I've seen UFO's and people don't believe me, I don't care.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Most people don't understand the difference between a sport and a martial art.  Tae Kwon Do is a sport, you train for competition by NOT hitting as well as possible, you only hit to score.  Many 'martial arts' these days train for sport purposes, because that is what people want.

Fencing could be a martial art, for instance, if it wasn't for the fact that most people are not up for really getting hit with swords.  Thus there are a plethora of clubs where people specialize in making a light turn on using the idiosychracies of the equipment rather than training as though they were going to use a weapon to defend themselves and kill their opponent.
View Quote
Yet Anthony Pettit, who’s base was TKD, was the ufc champ a few years back.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not that it’s common but the Chinese wushu fighter Zhang destroyed in a minute the Brazilian May Thai champ for the female belt.
View Quote
Wushu is well known as a performance art first and a martial art second.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nah, I'm cool. I can see it clearly in the video.

Why are you defending Ki practitioners?  What do you have to say about the other videos that counter what you are supporting? Are they fake?

ETA - Fine, I watched it. Again I see a rehearsed show, everybody involved is in on it. Sure, he get's hit in the neck pretty hard, so what? That in and of itself does not support your assertion that Ki is a magic umbrella that works. Not at all.

Have your thing though. I've seen UFO's and people don't believe me, I don't care.
View Quote
Like everything else, there are plenty of fakes out there. Care to explain how you can rehearse taking an 1100 ft. lb. kick to the groin that lifts you off the ground? Explain how you can take a 600 ft. lb. strike to the throat. So what? A strike to the throat like that would collapse your trachea, resulting in death within minutes unless you had an emergency tracheotamy performed. Hint, it's not magic if you understand how it works. Ki has been around since the beginning of time. It's like electricity in a wall socket. You can't see it but if you stick your finger in it you'll believe it's there in a hurry. If you think it's so rehearsed, like I said, seek them out and try it for yourself and report back. These guys aren't hard to find.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You’re not even describing wing chun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNQwGIvgQQ
View Quote
That video is thoroughly unimpressive.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tell him to transition to BJJ. Probably not as hard on the body. We do throws at our school and that shit hurts after a while.

Btw what’s your training history? Arts trained belts ranks etc. Not calling you out I’m genuinely curious you seem to be really knowledgeable about this stuff.

View Quote
I’m a similar age.

Mainly streetfights since I was 8; getting beaten up by Samoans in Hawaii, black gang members in Inglewood and Mexican gang members in Mar Vista during K-12 and fist fights on the East Coast visiting my Mom’s relatives in redneck Manassas, VA. in the early 80s. Followed even more fights as an adult ranging from the more recent ones like 2 guys by a BART station in the SF Bay Area before police arrested me, to a grocery store parking lot in Orlando Florida because I didn’t have a lighter some guy with cigarette asked me for and got mad when I said I didn’t have one.
More formal unarmed: Karate Yellow belt as a pre teen, high school wrestling, Hwa Rang Do under LAPD instructor for a year in high school who was also Silvester Stallone’s residential security off duty that my Mom introduced me to, GWOT era Army combatives level 2, Wing Chun about 3 years with Ben Dur in San Jose during college and then 3 with his friend Kenneth Cheung in San Francisco before he moved it to Stanford university.

Also, sparring everyone from kickboxers and Capoeira practitioners to Tae Kwon Do students that were willing pre UFC days and hanging around with people like the Machado brothers in SoCAL  https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-04-11-sp-21842-story.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Btw what's your training history? Arts trained belts ranks etc. Not calling you out I'm genuinely curious you seem to be really knowledgeable about this stuff.

Me, I'm just a 46 yr old BJJ purple belt with  a 39 yr old blue belt wife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friend of mine who retired from the USAF and CIA does Judo for hobby. He's been doing it for decades. But now in his 50s he's got a knee injury which is depressing, as his hobbies keep him grounded post divorce and he really enjoys collecting C&R, shooting Garands, Judo and cooking. His ex wife was a really mean, nasty and awful woman

Btw what's your training history? Arts trained belts ranks etc. Not calling you out I'm genuinely curious you seem to be really knowledgeable about this stuff.

Me, I'm just a 46 yr old BJJ purple belt with  a 39 yr old blue belt wife.
I'm 50, BJJ blue, don't do standup judo anymore after two shoulder surgeries.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I think something can probably be taken from each of the martial arts.  Machida for example had good success because of his karate skills.  But he was definitely the exception, not the norm.  It has been proven time and time again that fighters who are proficient in the 3 I mentioned above do best in the sport......or we can dumb it down even further by simply saying that having good skills in wrestling, ground game and stand up is what's necessary.  My point was only that just being a master at one discipline will get your ass kicked by someone who is more well rounded.
View Quote
So true. Nobody can be master of one and have an answer for everything. All styles on mma have cherry picked their most effective weapons and filled the holes with other styles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The advent of the UFC has proven that most martial arts aren't very effective.  BJJ/Muay Thai/Wrestling are what you need to be proficient in if you really want to be a badass.
View Quote
Yeah if you want to be a badass at fighting in UFC.

UFC has rules. No kicking a man when he is down, No hand, arm or leg breaking/dislocating allowed, no throat or head stomping or junk kicking or eye gouging or throat crushin or biting etc.

It isn't combat, it has rules, lots of them.

If you want to be badass train to do the things I listed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
So... basically your proof is an episode of "Ow, my balls!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That video is thoroughly unimpressive.
View Quote
Not surprised you’re unimpressed. But I’m very impressed after understanding why and how he does what he does which is the polar opposite of western style fighting. The downside is you have to sink 10+ years into it to become that relaxed IF you have a competent instructor
Wing Chun Sifu Ben Der 70th Birthday
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Like everything else, there are plenty of fakes out there. Care to explain how you can rehearse taking an 1100 ft. lb. kick to the groin that lifts you off the ground? Explain how you can take a 600 ft. lb. strike to the throat. So what? A strike to the throat like that would collapse your trachea, resulting in death within minutes unless you had an emergency tracheotamy performed. Hint, it's not magic if you understand how it works. Ki has been around since the beginning of time. It's like electricity in a wall socket. You can't see it but if you stick your finger in it you'll believe it's there in a hurry. If you think it's so rehearsed, like I said, seek them out and try it for yourself and report back. These guys aren't hard to find.
View Quote
Ok, sure.
Who says it's actually 1100 ft. lb. kick to the groin? Is it because he hit that dummy and it said 1100 ft. lbs? That dummy is not his balls, same with the "600 ft. lb. throat shot".
Obviously you are a doctor or at the very least a medic if you know it would result in death within minutes without an emergency trach tube.
If you are not a doctor, how do you know it would collapse a trachea resulting in death within minutes?

I apologize if I am wrong but I don't think you are a doctor and if that's the case, you are talking out your ass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not surprised you’re unimpressed. But I’m very impressed after understanding why and how he does what he does which is the polar opposite of western style fighting. The downside is you have to sink 10+ years into it to become that relaxed IF you have a competent instructor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M9EkuJr7dc
View Quote
It looks like he has had a good life and is surrounded by a good looking family. Good for him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Also, props for your wife. Always cool to hear about women training
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top