BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most of this have something that looks like it could be an explosive. One in particular does not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most of this have something that looks like it could be an explosive. One in particular does not.

A car with no gas is still a car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In before mass child terrorist attack.
View Quote

With the threatening family members that has happened in the ME, it is only a matter of time before extremists threaten family members to make this scenario a reality.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm seeing that most people believe that this could have been a bomb (perceived). I watched Bill Mahar (I know, but I've Been watching him since he was on Comedy Central) and he did a segment that could have been in GD.  Mahar said that the kid was dumb and the school didn't overreact given the decades of terror attacks by Muslims that have occurred around the world, and that a 14 y/o is of age for martyrdom is certain societies.

Mark Cuban was a guest and said he got to ask him (clock kid)  questions.  He stated he discussed science and such and the kid was very engaged.  But, When it got to the clock he heard someone whisper (female voice) in to tell him what to say and the kid became disengaged.  He called it "odd."

Garland, TX is roughly 25 miles away where an actual terror attack occured, so maybe you can understand the alarm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Leaning toward SJW stunt on this one.
View Quote

I'm going to agree.  Deport him and his family.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Berry needs to bequeath these poor victims with a hundred grand of taxpayer money.... stat!

it's the only way to make things right
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Are some of you dolts really analyzing what some kid tinkering with electronics did? You're not impressed by something a 14 year old did? Did better in college?

Lol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a pretty absurd comparison. A clock is not a bomb, be it taken apart or not.

This is more like saying the chair behind a student's desk is a car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leaning toward SJW stunt on this one.

This, exactly.

I don't know if it has been mentioned in the thread, but the father of this kid is a perennial candidate for the Presidency of Sudan and "defended" the Koran in Terry Jones' ridiculous "trial." This sort of thing is his MO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of yall should really take these off, its almost sad how many excuses you are making.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bomb with no explosives is not a bomb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why have police and bomb squads been called in to evacuate an area and destroy dummy ordinance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then why have police and bomb squads been called in to evacuate an area and destroy dummy ordinance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question or is it rhetorical?

Why do the Brits freak the fuck out when they find rusty ammo from WW2?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE WAS ARRESTED FOR A HOAX BOMB NOT A REAL BOMB, NO REASON FOR BOMB SQUAD.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are some of you dolts really analyzing what some kid tinkering with electronics did? You're not impressed by something a 14 year old did? Did better in college?

Lol.
View Quote

Anybody skilled in electronics should not be impressed by a 14 year old repackaging a digital clock. When I was 10, I repackaged a metal detector. Big deal.

Now, when I was 11, I started building a light beam communicator.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Asshole student should face expulsion.

By loosely placing electrical components in a metallic container, the only thing that kid "invented" is a fire / electrocution hazard which could have jeopardized people's lives in the school. He defied orders from his engineering teacher and took it once step further to achieve full retard status when he plugged it into a wall socket.

If that's not grounds for suspension/expulsion then someone should plant a gun shaped pop-tart in his schoolbag.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

By loosely placing electrical components in a metallic container, the only thing that kid "invented" is a fire / electrocution hazard which could have jeopardized people's lives in the school. He defied orders from his engineering teacher and took it once step further to achieve full retard status when he plugged it into a wall socket.

If that's not grounds for suspension/expulsion then someone should plant a gun shaped pop-tart in his schoolbag.

View Quote

Ho - Lee - Fuk.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the word you are looking for is ordnance. A dummy ordinance is a law such as the one used to arrest this kid.

Though, frankly, it isn't really the ordinance that is to blame. It seems to make sense. Alas, as with most laws, the spirit and intent under which they are passed can be readily abused by subsequent enforcers. This kid did not pretend to have a bomb, call in a bomb threat, or any such nonsense. He said he had a clock. And, well, he had a clock.

Was it deliberate trolling? It doesn't matter. Trolling to show the idiocy of a regime is a time honored art. Witness, for example, those who blatantly open carry in areas where it is not so common. Witness also how quickly gun rights activists come to their legal defense should they be arrested by ignorant cops.

Even if the act were deliberate trolling, it does not justify the response. Was the English teacher right to think the item was suspicious? Sure. But, at what point do the authorities see a clock as a clock and call it a day? Why the doubling down on derp?

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote

You fundamentally misunderstand what happened here.  This is coming from someone who "tinkered" with electronics from age 10.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You fundamentally misunderstand what happened here.  This is coming from someone who "tinkered" with electronics from age 10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

He is scared of being called a racist so will go out of his way to defend an obvious troll.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This meme should be all over the news.
View All Quotes

Half of America probably thought the over-reaction from LE after the Marathon Pressure cooker blast was warranted, but shed liberal tears over this kids manufactured publicity stunt.

At least America's consistent.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote

I would applaud any such tinkering if I thought it was:
1) Genuine
2) Done out of drive/curiosity
3) Not a flimsy manufactured publicity/gofund attempt.

ETA: Lol

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

1) Genuine

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol.

1) Genuine

At 14 I had already "tinkered" with electronics by making and using a ham transmitter out of parts from an old TV. I had also made several receivers from kits and parts from the same old TV. I used both to communicate with people all over the country and a few in other countries.

I was also learning how to use a Southbend metal lathe and Bridgeport milling machine.

Stuffing some electronic junk in a case to try and impress your teachers seems pretty attention whorish.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ho - Lee - Fuk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ho - Lee - Fuk.

110v, 15-20 amps going through a shitty splice job to a loose transformer in a metal box. Show me how you think that is safe once plugged into an outlet.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
What was the like white bag in the case for? What was its function?

I cant wait to make a few of these and take them to the airport while yelling Alahu Akbar. Setting up my gofundme page now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote

He took a clock apart and put it together to look like a bomb.  He didn't invent shit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Psssttt... The boy was not arrested and no charges were made. He was detained by police for a suspicious device and refused to answer questions about it.  This was a PR stunt according to the media.

But the device made a sound in an English class, prompting Ahmed to show that teacher the source of the noise. The teacher commented that it looked like a bomb. The officers assigned to the school were called, and Ahmed was handcuffed, questioned by the police and eventually released to his parents.

The Irving Police Department has said that the case is closed and that no charges will be filed.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lol yeah that needy little kid stuck a clock in a pencil box because he wanted a half dozen cops to arrest him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
passive aggressive and no reasonable answer means the cops couldn't bully the kid into a false confession that the clock was a bomb.

It means the kid wanted a reaction from the police and he got it.
Lol yeah that needy little kid stuck a clock in a pencil box because he wanted a half dozen cops to arrest him.  

Hell they can arrest me if I get 100k from gofundme and all the crap Microsoft sent him. That couldn't possibly be a motivation for trolling the idiots, now could it? I think he's brilliant - at being a scam artist. Success beyond normal conman's dreams.

And all it cost was a shitty old clock and a pencil case.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Brilliant! He gets to meet the Prez, go to NASA, didn't he also get a scholarship outta this?

Oh and possibly $100K from a gofundme.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect the ATF would disagree.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Can you elaborate?  I hadn't heard that.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Ill sum this up for those that don't understand once again

"Muslims are peaceful! Its the great Satan America that makes them look bad!"

if you don't see the end game your blind
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was in high school I was on a robotics team. Two of the other students on the team had the brilliant idea to make a backpack/vest out of small metal pneumatic storage tanks which they could use to quickly recharge the air tanks on the robot at competition. By the time they were done it looked for all eh world like a suicide vest, which I suspect was part of the appeal.

Instead of evacuating the building and freaking the fuck out, the teacher who first saw them with it told them to knock it off because it looked like a bomb and they were being stupid and unsafe. That was it.

Yes, this was post 9/11.

I think this situation could have been handled similarly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#34]
The kid took apart an existing clock and put the electronics in a box.

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/

So I turned to eBay, searching for vintage alarm clocks. It only took a minute to locate Ahmed’s clock. See this eBay listing, up at the time of this writing. Amhed’s clock was invented, and built, by Micronta, a Radio Shack subsidary. Catalog number 63 756.

The shape and design is a dead give away. The large screen. The buttons on the front laid out horizontally would have been on a separate board – a large snooze button, four control buttons, and two switches to turn the alarm on and off, and choose two brightness levels. A second board inside would have contained the actual “brains” of the unit. The clock features a 9v battery back-up, and a switch on the rear allows the owner to choose between 12 and 24 hour time. (Features like a battery back-up, and a 24 hour time selection seems awful superfluous for a hobby project, don’t you think?) Oh, and about that “M” logo on the circuit board mentioned above? Micronta.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly he had showed the clock to some sort of stem teacher earlier in the day who told him 'uh, good job, but that looks a bit like a bomb, you should probably keep it in your bag and don't bring it to school again'.

At some point later in the day it made noise or he decided to show it or something, and another teacher saw it and didn't recognize it for what it was.

I don't think it could be characterized as an 'order'.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think that the kid did it intentionally but I think that he got a lot of help from "dad" designing the clock from household parts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He's a kid that took something apart, f'd around with it, and "made" a clock.  BFD.  He put more thought and effort into that personal project than most of his classmates will put into their school projects all semester.
View Quote

He took apart and alarm clock and put all the contents into a different box. That's not really that special.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote

I built a radio like the one below when I was 8 or 9 years old.  Mine looked much nicer though.  The base had routered edges, all the wood was lacquered. I did ALL the work myself.  If I can have my dad dig it out of the attic sometime, I'll post a picture of the one I built.

So, no.  I'm not impressed by a 14 year old taking apart an old clock and half assing it into a pencil case.  My 6 year old could do a better job.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Lots of misinformation and bullshit in this thread.

1.  The kid dismantled a 1970s RadioShack clock and stuffed the guts into something else.  He didn't build shit.

2.  The kid showed his dumb clock to multiple faculty members until the response that he wanted was shown, ie a panic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For someone who doesn't know, what's "wrong" with it? I see a clock screen and some microcontroller gizmos.

http://i.imgur.com/zMKphmc.jpg
View Quote

Anyone with even a basic knowledge of electronics can look at that picture and know that it is a completely inert device that happens to be a clock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#41]
If this kid really wanted to eb impressive he would preform black magic by taking apart a carburetor, cleaning it, and making the motor run again.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote

As stated in a earlier post, back in the '50s, kids his age were taking apart junked TV sets and making shortwave receivers and transmitters for their ham radio stations.

In this day and age, they're building projects with Arduino and Picaxe programmable controllers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As stated in a earlier post, back in the '50s, kids his age were taking apart junked TV sets and making shortwave receivers and transmitters for their ham radio stations.

In this day and age, they're building projects with Arduino and Picaxe programmable controllers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

But but but... he's a genius!
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I built a radio like the one below when I was 8 or 9 years old.  Mine looked much nicer though.  The base had routered edges, all the wood was lacquered. I did ALL the work myself.  If I can have my dad dig it out of the attic sometime, I'll post a picture of the one I built.

So, no.  I'm not impressed by a 14 year old taking apart an old clock and half assing it into a pencil case.  My 6 year old could do a better job.

http://www.bignick.net/Morgan_Radio/Morgan_Xtal/Morgan_Xtal_top.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Looks like a bomb to me. Of course, I see bombs in clouds, and in the folds of curtains. I blame Obama.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#45]

This is on par with the 13 year old that made a working fusion reactor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Coil, 365pf variable cap, cat's whisker detector, and a mica cap.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Looking at the kid's clock, it's immediately apparent to me what I'm looking at.  It's obviously a gutted clock radio.
Maybe... definitely...this is  exemplary of the divide between those who are technologically adept versus technologically clueless.

If you don't know how the stuff that makes your life go works, I suppose you might see a threat.  I would not.  Not even for a second.
It is obviously not a bomb, it's a portablized clock/radio.

It's a Rorschach test to differentiate the technologically adept from the technologically clueless.

The current year is 2015.  The inability to discern a gutted clock radio from a bomb speaks more to the technical ignorance of the adults involved than the wrongly imputed malice of the kid. There were a lot of adults who fucked up, in series to create this tempest.  They are morons.

Judgement: for the kid.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looking at the kid's clock, it's immediately apparent to me what I'm looking at.  It's obviously a gutted clock radio.
Maybe... definitely...this is  exemplary of the divide between those who are technologically adept versus technologically clueless.

If you don't know how the stuff that makes your life go works, I suppose you might see a threat.  I would not.  Not even for a second.
It is obviously not a bomb, it's a portablized clock/radio.

It's a Rorschach test to differentiate the technologically adept from the technologically clueless.

The current year is 2015.  The inability to discern a gutted clock radio from a bomb speaks more to the technical ignorance of the adults involved than the wrongly imputed malice of the kid. There were a lot of adults who fucked up, in series to create this tempest.  They are morons.

Judgement: for the kid.  

View Quote

Are you purposefully being obtuse or are you that unimaginative?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#49]
We need threads like this to remind us how retarded GD really is
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

They'd probably tase him and actually call the bomb squad if he brought that to school
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top