BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you purposefully being obtuse or are you that unimaginative?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at the kid's clock, it's immediately apparent to me what I'm looking at.  It's obviously a gutted clock radio.
Maybe... definitely...this is  exemplary of the divide between those who are technologically adept versus technologically clueless.

If you don't know how the stuff that makes your life go works, I suppose you might see a threat.  I would not.  Not even for a second.
It is obviously not a bomb, it's a portablized clock/radio.

It's a Rorschach test to differentiate the technologically adept from the technologically clueless.

The current year is 2015.  The inability to discern a gutted clock radio from a bomb speaks more to the technical ignorance of the adults involved than the wrongly imputed malice of the kid. There were a lot of adults who fucked up, in series to create this tempest.  They are morons.

Judgement: for the kid.  

It's intuitively obvious.   I weep for the technologically inadept.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Looking at the kid's clock, it's immediately apparent to me what I'm looking at.  It's obviously a gutted clock radio.

Maybe... definitely...this is  exemplary of the divide between those who are technologically adept versus technologically clueless.

If you don't know how the stuff that makes your life go works, I suppose you might see a threat.  I would not.  Not even for a second.

It's a Rorschach test to differentiate the technologically adept from the technologically clueless.

The current year is 2015.  The inability to discern a gutted clock radio from a bomb speaks more to the technical ignorance of the adults involved than the wrongly imputed malice of the kid. There were a lot of adults who fucked up, in series to create this tempest.  They are morons.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A bomb with no explosives is not a bomb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of this have something that looks like it could be an explosive. One in particular does not.

A car with no gas is still a car.

A car with no explosives or gas will not take off from a treadmill
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Math, science and technology is hard.  I feels, bro, I feels.

I have to go to bed, so I apologize for not being able to play, so let me put this out.
the adults panicked.  It's contextual, and they bit on their perceived context.  Maybe the kid was jacked by his Dad to do this, I get that.  But if you had the inkling of a hint of techno-fu, you'd realize what you were looking at.  Maybe the school was being played -- I actually recognize that as a possibility -- but the fact is that a number of adults were unable to recognize what they were looking at.

Personally, I think the kid is on the autism spectrum and prone to "inventing" things by repackaging extant hardware. I don't think he's some kind of elex genius, I think he's probably an autistic kid who likes to tinker.  

The problem here is, I think, that the adults panicked. A trivial examination of the clock should have been sufficient to allay whatever paranoid fears they had; the "bomb" was made of wholly COTS components consistent with the antecedent hardware implementation.  In other words: it did not have any components inconsistent with the original build.  There were no homemade parts, and no parts that were not consistent with the others, and no parts that did not belong to the obvious design of the clock.  There were clearly no parts consistent with an explosive component.

The various adults should have been able to use basic psych 101 analysis to figure out that he wasn't trying to blow up the school, but they panicked.

This is more an indictment of "if you see something, say something" in series with a collection of overly risk-averse adults unwilling to take responsibility for making a decision.   A clear case of overwrought  "If you see something, say something" thinking.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're the one that's technically inept.  With a piece of pipe, some endcaps, black powder, and about 2 minutes I could turn that clock into a timed explosive device.  If you can't see that....

I've yet to hear one single person from the school or the police department claim they thought it was actually a bomb.  Have you?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have to go to bed, so I apologize for not being able to play, so let me put this out.

the adults panicked.  It's contextual, and they bit on their perceived context.  Maybe the kid was jacked by his Dad to do this, I get that.  But if you had the inkling of a hint of techno-fu, you'd realize what you were looking at.  Maybe the school was being played -- I actually recognize that as a possibility -- but the fact is that a number of adults were unable to recognize what they were looking at.

Personally, I think the kid is on the autism spectrum and prone to "inventing" things by repackaging extant hardware. I don't think he's some kind of elex genius, I think he's probably an autistic kid who likes to tinker.  

The problem here is, I think, that the adults panicked. A trivial examination of the clock should have been sufficient to allay whatever paranoid fears they had; the "bomb" was made of wholly COTS components consistent with the antecedent hardware implementation.  In other words: it did not have any components inconsistent with the original build.  There were no homemade parts, and no parts that were not consistent with the others, and no parts that did not belong to the obvious design of the clock.  There were clearly no parts consistent with an explosive component.

The various adults should have been able to use basic psych 101 analysis to figure out that he wasn't trying to blow up the school, but they panicked.

This is more an indictment of "if you see something, say something" in series with a collection of overly risk-averse adults unwilling to take responsibility for making a decision.   A clear case of overwrought  "If you see something, say something" thinking.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do know the crime he was suspected of was making a fake bomb, right?

That's just for starters.  Your logic and reasoning continues down hill from there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're the one that's technically inept.  With a piece of pipe, some endcaps, black powder, and about 2 minutes I could turn that clock into a timed explosive device.  If you can't see that....

I've yet to hear one single person from the school or the police department claim they thought it was actually a bomb.  Have you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I added a bomb to that which is not a bomb, it would be a bomb!

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From what I've heard he just bought a clock, took it apart, then put it back together in a briefcase. Don't know if its true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.
View Quote

This has to be the case. Look at the PCB connected to LCD, the clock microchip is of chip-on-board design so this whole contraption was pulled from an alarm clock. All that this kid did was transfer the guts of an alarm clock to a pencil box, why? Wonder if he was trying to pass off that he put together all of the circuitry too?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I added a bomb to that which is not a bomb, it would be a bomb!

View Quote

Correct.  When was he accused of building a bomb?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's just for starters.  Your logic and reasoning continues down hill from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A law that any reasonable person would know was written to allow prosecution of people who call in bomb threats or who make devices to cause people to think they are bombs. This thing not only did not look like a bomb, the kid also called it a clock. Because, well, it was a clock.

The problem with the reasonable person standard, though, becomes obvious here.

Based on what we are learning about his father and what not, it would seem a bunch of derpers played right into his hands.

The only thing that could make this look worse is if we learn that several other kids were taking apart clocks like this in a another class.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

unimaginative?  That's the opposite of the word I'd use.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A law that any reasonable person would know was written to allow prosecution of people who call in bomb threats or who make devices to cause people to think they are bombs. This thing not only did not look like a bomb, the kid also called it a clock. Because, well, it was a clock.
View Quote

I'd agree with you if he brought a clock to school.  He didn't.  He brought an electronic device stuffed into a case with wires hanging out all over the place.  And then, when questioned about it, was not forthcoming.  It's almost like he wanted people to think it was something other than a simple clock...

ETA: On top of that, after a teacher told him it might be mistaken for something else and he should keep it to himself, he apparently took it into another classroom and plugged it into an outlet.  

Look.  I'm not saying this was a bomb.  No one is.  The reasonable assumption at this point, given the history of the family, is that we are not getting the entire story.  We're getting what his CAIR handlers want us to hear and what the media wants us to 'know'.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd agree with you if he brought a clock to school.  He didn't.  He brought an electronic device stuffed into a case with wires hanging out all over the place.  And then, when questioned about it, was not forthcoming.  It's almost like he wanted people to think it was something other than a simple clock...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A clock is an electronic device, at least if we're talking about the clock in the picture.  He had a clock, which he took apart and put into a box and brought to school.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A clock is an electronic device, at least if we're talking about the clock in the picture.  He had a clock, which he took apart and put into a box and brought to school.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said.  I'm not sure what your point is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#16]
after watching the cringe worthy interviews he did all weekend on the major networks, i'm convinced its 100% PR stunt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said he didn't bring a clock, he brought an electronic device.  They're the same thing.

Have you ever been questioned about something that revealed the questioner was such a fucking idiot you couldn't properly articulate to them how fucking stupid they were without being condescending, and thus found it difficult to have a conversation with them?  My guess is that's where this kid's head was at.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:05:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You said he didn't bring a clock, he brought an electronic device.  They're the same thing.

Have you ever been questioned about something that revealed the questioner was such a fucking idiot you couldn't properly articulate to them how fucking stupid they were without being condescending, and thus found it difficult to have a conversation with them?  My guess is that's where this kid's head was at.
View Quote

Semantics.

Have you seen any of this kid's interviews?  Either HE'S the fucking idiot or he's being poorly coached.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I only bothered with the first page but this thread is great.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Semantics.

Have you seen any of this kid's interviews?  Either HE'S the fucking idiot or he's being poorly coached.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semantics.

Yes, your comment was trying to draw a semantic line that doesn't exist.

He's a kid. I don't expect him to be a media personality.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, your comment was trying to draw a semantic line that doesn't exist.

He's a kid. I don't expect him to be a media personality.
View Quote

He's an attention whore who got his attention and will be going to the White House.

When I was in school in the wonderful cesspool city known as Detroit, I did NOT show anyone my home made black jack........except for the few times I had to use it.

Thank God I used it when a teacher was not around and there were no video cameras back then.

I wasn't an attention whore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then why have police and bomb squads been called in to evacuate an area and destroy dummy ordinance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of this have something that looks like it could be an explosive. One in particular does not.

Then why have police and bomb squads been called in to evacuate an area and destroy dummy ordinance.

Poor analogy.

That doesnt mean the dummy ordnance is considered a bomb even if they blow it up.  Afterwards if it was a dummy piece it still gets reported as such.

However, in the case you describe the ordnance is indistinguishable from the real thing without an x-ray, with the reasonable expectation that explosives are inside.  The case on this device was wide open to stat with.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I suspect the ATF would disagree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect the ATF would disagree.

You would be wrong.  You can toss around the terms "precursor" and "intent" all day long but that still doesnt make something a bomb or explosive device.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#24]
]

Lol srsly?

Go make a G19 out of wood and point it at a cop, then call me from prison and tell me how it went.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

Go make a G19 out of wood and point it at a cop, then call me from prison and tell me how it went.
View Quote

Or, bring a blow dryer to school, have some teacher think it's an alien ray gun, say, "no it's just a hair dryer," and then be charged with pretending to bring a gun to school.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Or, bring a blow dryer to school, have some teacher think it's an alien ray gun, say, "no it's just a hair dryer," and then be charged with pretending to bring a gun to school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

But the thing is people have already been arrested or killed with fake gun toys.  Look at that black kid in Cleveland.

People don't know what a real non Hollywood bomb looks like our operates.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

I honestly think a teacher would blow his/her mind if a kid brought a hair dryer to school and pointed it at people............especially if it was a white kid with a NRA shirt on.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You would be wrong.  You can toss around the terms "precursor" and "intent" all day long but that still doesnt make something a bomb or explosive device.
View Quote

and were not talking about real bombs, were talking about fake bombs, which is an actual crime in texas
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Guys, just read this and be enlightened:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/18/real-story-istandwithahmed/

The narrative reigns supreme. Ahmed Mohammed brought a clock-in-a-case that looked like a hoax bomb to the uninformed to school; his engineering teacher told him not to show it around; he showed it around; the police showed up, and he was allegedly uncooperative; they decided he was innocent and released him.

That’s not a national scandal. That’s local cops and teachers and administrators doing their jobs, decently but cautiously. Yet that won’t be what you hear. You’ll just hear that America hates Muslims, even as Americans self-righteously tweet out #IStandWithAhmed without hearing the facts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

Yea dude, you kind of missed the mark on that comparison.

Or, make a blow dryer appear to be a gun, bring it to school, have some teacher think it's a gun or even a fake gun, say "no it's just a hair dryer," and then be questioned with bringing a fake gun to school like others already have.

This has been a publicity/sjw stunt FROM THE BEGINNING. How some of you can't see that is just odd.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#31]

http://nypost.com/2015/09/19/how-ahmeds-clock-became-a-false-convenient-tale-of-racism/

In Dyer County, Tenn., Kendra Turner says she was suspended for saying “Bless you” after a student sneezed, and that her teacher told her that she would have no “godly speaking in class.”

A school administrator said, “This was not a religious issue at all, but more of an issue the teacher felt was a distraction in her class.” Uh-huh. School leadership offered no explanation for the photos posted by students that showed “bless you” on a list of expressions banned in the classroom. Turner is still waiting for her call from President Obama.

Are white kids being punished en masse for dopey quasi-infractions because of their race? Of course not. That’s ridiculous.

But it’s equally absurd to suggest that you have to be Muslim, or brown-skinned, or live in Texas, to be subjected to overenthusiastic use of school discipline and police force.

“It never would have happened to a white kid”? It happens to white kids all. The. Time.

The main difference between the Ahmed Mohamed case and the others is that the mainstream media and the leftist point of view it presents just can’t let go of Ahmed. Ahmed is too useful to their narrative to be a one-day story.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Or, make a blow dryer appear to be a gun, bring it to school, have some teacher think it's a gun or even a fake gun, say "no it's just a hair dryer," and then be questioned with bringing a fake gun to school like others already have.

This has been a publicity/sjw stunt FROM THE BEGINNING. How some of you can't see that is just odd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

I can't see how anyone can say a clock looks like a fake bomb, or a clock introduced as a clock show intent to make people think it's a fake bomb.

There's nothing to indicate the was to "appear to be" a bomb. It wouldn't be hard to add some random bulk solid material and extra wires leading to the electronics of the clock. Now, THAT would prompt en EOD response. After the incident, when the explosive was deemed to be clay or wood or what not, then I could see charging the kid for a hoax bomb. That is, after all, why such a law is on the books, let such a person get away by saying "but it wasn't real."
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Psssttt... The boy was not arrested and no charges were made. He was detained by police for a suspicious device and refused to answer questions about it.  This was a PR stunt according to the media.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HE WAS ARRESTED FOR A HOAX BOMB NOT A REAL BOMB, NO REASON FOR BOMB SQUAD.

Psssttt... The boy was not arrested and no charges were made. He was detained by police for a suspicious device and refused to answer questions about it.  This was a PR stunt according to the media.

But the device made a sound in an English class, prompting Ahmed to show that teacher the source of the noise. The teacher commented that it looked like a bomb. The officers assigned to the school were called, and Ahmed was handcuffed, questioned by the police and eventually released to his parents.

The Irving Police Department has said that the case is closed and that no charges will be filed.

Even better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He took apart and alarm clock and put all the contents into a different box. That's not really that special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a kid that took something apart, f'd around with it, and "made" a clock.  BFD.  He put more thought and effort into that personal project than most of his classmates will put into their school projects all semester.

He took apart and alarm clock and put all the contents into a different box. That's not really that special.

In today's america that makes him a genius.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBZjluezC8

This is on par with the 13 year old that made a working fusion reactor.
View Quote

that person is a genius, nasa should hire them!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can't see how anyone can say a clock looks like a fake bomb, or a clock introduced as a clock show intent to make people think it's a fake bomb.

There's nothing to indicate the was to "appear to be" a bomb. It wouldn't be hard to add some random bulk solid material and extra wires leading to the electronics of the clock. Now, THAT would prompt en EOD response. After the incident, when the explosive was deemed to be clay or wood or what not, then I could see charging the kid for a hoax bomb. That is, after all, why such a law is on the books, let such a person get away by saying "but it wasn't real."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

Right because the explosive component of a bomb has to be big and bulky.  Please stop posting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Right because the explosive component of a bomb has to be big and bulky.  Please stop posting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big and bulky can something be if it still fits into a pencil case?  

A pencil eraser would appear big and blocky in that picture...
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point.  If anyone here thinks a pro bomb maker couldnt take a standard alarm clock and turn it into a tiny bomb you are fooling yourself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So this going off next to you would be no big deal?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#40]
It's been three days now and there is now substantial additional evidence that what I suggested is the truth. There are now dozens of additional videos on Youtube illustrating that the kid did zero inventing, but rather took apart an antiquated commercial alarm clock and re-assembled in such a way to make it look significantly less like a clock and significantly more like an IED. As I said, if he had built a clock, it wouldn't look like that. The kid's own interviews - some of which were available prior to my original post - make it painfully obvious that this was an engineered PR stunt.

How many apologists still exist in this thread?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's been three days now and there is now substantial additional evidence that what I suggested is the truth. There are now dozens of additional videos on Youtube illustrating that the kid did zero inventing, but rather took apart an antiquated commercial alarm clock and re-assembled in such a way to make it look significantly less like a clock and significantly more like an IED. As I said, if he had built a clock, it wouldn't look like that. The kid's own interviews - some of which were available prior to my original post - make it painfully obvious that this was an engineered PR stunt.

View Quote

Only the dumbasses who think all bombs have to have huge canisters or bricks attached that have C4 in big letters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Only the dumbasses who think all bombs have to have huge canisters or bricks attached that have C4 in big letters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bombs DO need something to explode, though. In that case there is a comically large clock face and some electronic parts. There was nothing that looked like a mass for explosives. Which everyone knew and why the school wasn't evacuated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doubling down on derp. Never double down on derp.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I get that.  My point is that the OP should not expect a 14yo to "build" a clock that resembles anything like he does in a college engineering lab.  Do you really expect a 14yo to build a clock from scratch?  Order some parts from DigiKey, breadboard everything, solder it all together, program the controller, and package it up in a fancy plastic box?  

He's a kid that took something apart, f'd around with it, and "made" a clock.  BFD.  He put more thought and effort into that personal project than most of his classmates will put into their school projects all semester.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My background is in computer engineering. At Penn State, that meant a good mix of computer science and electrical engineering.

In both my CE and EE labs, we built a lot of simple devices to help teach us about electronics in reality. CD players and clocks were among them.

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase with wires sticking out of it.

There is zero chance that this was not done intentionally. This was engineered to look exactly like a bomb and get a reaction. This was done intentionally to make some sort of statement, most likely with the assistance of his radical father.

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or something.

You mean the clocks you built in your engineering lab at Penn State didn't look like a clock that a 14 year old made?  <gasp>  

You either have very low expectations for your engineering program or very high expectations for a 14yo.  

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different cases.

I get that.  My point is that the OP should not expect a 14yo to "build" a clock that resembles anything like he does in a college engineering lab.  Do you really expect a 14yo to build a clock from scratch?  Order some parts from DigiKey, breadboard everything, solder it all together, program the controller, and package it up in a fancy plastic box?  

My first electronics class was at 14.  I built a short wave radio.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
]

Lol srsly?

I think you have to look at it from other people's perspective. You have a little tank icon so you are/were some type of military member so you probably have some experience or training or at least picked up some basic understanding on explosives. Now think the average person probably has no idea what EOD even means. Their bomb "education" comes from TV and movies. I can absolutely see how someone could initially mistake it for a suspicious device or bomb.

I found it funny that when this story broke and the 2-3 people who I can see on FB who posted about how horrible it was are probably the ones most likely to be freaked out about a suspicious clock.

If his goal was indeed to get people going without actually breaking the law then it wouldn't be a good idea to add some type of solid material.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My background is in computer engineering. At Penn State, that meant a good mix of computer science and electrical engineering.

In both my CE and EE labs, we built a lot of simple devices to help teach us about electronics in reality. CD players and clocks were among them.

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase with wires sticking out of it.

There is zero chance that this was not done intentionally. This was engineered to look exactly like a bomb and get a reaction. This was done intentionally to make some sort of statement, most likely with the assistance of his radical father.

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or something.

You mean the clocks you built in your engineering lab at Penn State didn't look like a clock that a 14 year old made?  <gasp>  

You either have very low expectations for your engineering program or very high expectations for a 14yo.  

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different cases.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Taking things apart to see how it is put together is how people learn. We also don't know what the finished project was to be. This could have been the first stop to a case mod or adding something to it later.

The fact this kid isn't an genius isn't the issue. The issue is people freaked out for no good reason and over reacted like scared lemmings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh come on, you're being just a little bit unreasonable. I have a minor in EE and a major in ME. I've made plenty of analog and digital circuits. I worked in a manufacturing facilitiy that made custom circuit boards. It looked suspiciously like a bomb (but without explosive material) to me. The pics weren't that good and I didn't stop to analyze all the components. All the loose wires and haphazard placement of everything probably obfuscated to me what exactly he had going on there. It was a huge trolling attempt on their part, orchestrated by his parents.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Everyone has to start somewhere. Taking things apart to see how it is put together is how people learn. We also don't know what the finished project was to be. This could have been the first stop to a case mod or adding something to it later.

The fact this kid isn't an genius isn't the issue. The issue is people freaked out for no good reason and over reacted like scared lemmings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or somethin

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different case

Or they didn't want shrapnel in their assholes.

Alot of people thought and saw a harmless pickup truck in front of a certain building in OKC, 1995.

Had to break the wall of quotes, this post will look funny.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Alot of people thought and saw a harmless pickup truck in front of a certain building in OKC, 1995.

View Quote

It was a Ryder truck, and it was definately out of place in front of the federal building.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or somethin

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different case

It was a cargo truck- moving truck  - but yeah - so you are saying we should pucker every time we drive by a Uhaul? It taking off my computer tower case cause for a school lock down? Is the only reason anyone even equated what they saw with a bomb is because this kid is a muslim?

So we should outlaw open and CCW because it scares some people and they don't know if you intend to shoot the place up or not?

No - you can't defend their actions - not if you want to keep defending freedom and the 2nd amendment as well with out being a hypocrite.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top