Disclaimer. I'm not a gunsmith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcK_zB3-zQ
View Quote
WOW!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dang, I was scared of an hk build because I suck at welding. That doesn't look so bad.

The bending jig looks awesome too. Way easier than AK flats.  Is the jig crazy expensive?
View Quote
Youll spend a few hundred in specialty tools at a minimum

This particular one bent pretty easily

My 53 took days of massaging to get it to accept a carrier and brace

The hard part beyond that is making them look nice. Something Im still going to struggle with as Im not using the correct welder nor do I have the experience with welding to make them look as nice as the custom offerings out there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Part 1

Disclaimer. I'm not a gunsmith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcK_zB3-zQ
View Quote
Great vid!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think youre talking about that kid?

Nah

I guess he was just wanting attention that night
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@chase45, is that little douchebag on IG still accusing you of being a felon for committing imaginary crimes?
I think youre talking about that kid?

Nah

I guess he was just wanting attention that night
Yeah, he was saying that destroying and building guns is a felony.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
He was just some pimple faced sexually frustrated kid
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So half of GD?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So half of GD?
View Quote
But ranting and raving that Im killing kids and committing felonies and shit
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So half of GD?
Sounds like the crazy lib I ran into at a gun show this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Great Vid Chase.  I was frankly a little standoffish about doing this myself but Might now look into it.  Also, I'm now creepily following you on Instagram!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a sweet build! I'd love to try that
Instagram name?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job OP!

I only wished I had seen this before you ordered your flat.  I would have advised you to order 2 full sized, and 2 "K" flats.  This way if you mess one up, you have a back up right there.  And if you are successful, I have helped you spend four times as much money, as you have 3 more kits to buy and build.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good job OP!

I only wished I had seen this before you ordered your flat.  I would have advised you to order 2 full sized, and 2 "K" flats.  This way if you mess one up, you have a back up right there.  And if you are successful, I have helped you spend four times as much money, as you have 3 more kits to buy and build.
View Quote
Lol Im too poor for that

I have another planned for later this year however
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Waiting patiently for your next update...
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Well done OP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet!!

PM me if you want to move the stock.  Been meaning to pick one up so I can alternate between it and the A3
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
My mp5/mke sbr F1 stamp came in yesterday, I think my “build” will be quite a bit easier than yours
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
My department is looking at trading in all of our MP5 inventory, to include two SD models.  I asked what the plans were, and they said the weapons were worth more cut into parts kits.  That'll be 14 standard (12 navy and 2 full auto) and 2 SD (full auto) MP5's getting sliced and diced and resold onto the private market.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My department is looking at trading in all of our MP5 inventory, to include two SD models.  I asked what the plans were, and they said the weapons were worth more cut into parts kits.  That'll be 14 standard (12 navy and 2 full auto) and 2 SD (full auto) MP5's getting sliced and diced and resold onto the private market.
View Quote
I got about 350 for the SD

No joke it would be really cool if it were allowed that I could physically chop one up and rebuild it
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know what you have to do!

How does buying an SD kit work?  Demill the can too, or form 4 for the silencer part?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Lmk if you need some centering jigs for the SD build.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lmk if you need some centering jigs for the SD build.
View Quote
I was planning on using the can to try and align everything, or better yet a fake can so I dont fuck up the real one.

But that might be a much better idea

What is the jig like?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome.

I'm also seeing something in those pictures.

Is this guy going to have a fun switch?
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Awesome.

View Quote
If I wouldn't be going to club fed for 10 years and lose every single bit of what I care about, then yes it would still have the auto switch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Always good work Chase.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Im gunna see if I can knock it out tonight
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was planning on using the can to try and align everything, or better yet a fake can so I dont fuck up the real one.

But that might be a much better idea

What is the jig like?
View Quote
If you are using the hkparts cage there is 2 areas that need to be aligned with the barrel and cocking tube/ sight need to be fit to that using a laser bore sight. PM if and when you get the job started if you need help.

Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Not much better than an MP5 build thread that delivers!
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
How much for the kit and the flat?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you are using the hkparts cage there is 2 areas that need to be aligned with the barrel and cocking tube/ sight need to be fit to that using a laser bore sight. PM if and when you get the job started if you need help.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198239/DC01F4EF-1594-4CCC-AA57-8667B85C3B72-500689.jpg
View Quote
Thanks that looks like it would help a bunch!

Ill definitely get in touch with you later this year when I move forward with that one
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How much for the kit and the flat?
View Quote
Ive got like 1500 in it with everything. 200 of that was the brace.

Came with a surefire handguard too
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Well getting the sheetmetal off the cocking tube is a real pain in the ass

I spent last night messing with that. Got a good majority of it off, but damn its still on there and I was getting frustrated so I walked away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well getting the sheetmetal off the cocking tube is a real pain in the ass

I spent last night messing with that. Got a good majority of it off, but damn its still on there and I was getting frustrated so I walked away.
View Quote
Would heat help?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Just watch your vid - that is AWESOME!
Wish I had the skill (let alone the tools) to do something like that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Would heat help?
View Quote
Nah its welded on

Ive been grinding on it because cutting and pulling on it would bend it up to oblivion with how thin the metal is

Just a pain in the dick. For the price of cocking tubes Im thinking about just getting a new one
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nah its welded on

Ive been grinding on it because cutting and pulling on it would bend it up to oblivion with how thin the metal is

Just a pain in the dick. For the price of cocking tubes Im thinking about just getting a new one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would heat help?
Nah its welded on

Just out of curiosity, did you read a thread somewhere about this?  I'd like to do it as I'm a DIY person but I would really like know how to ensure its legal and I take the proper steps.  I'm working on my SOT so I might do one F/A in the future but in the meantime it would be semi.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, did you read a thread somewhere about this?  I'd like to do it as I'm a DIY person but I would really like know how to ensure its legal and I take the proper steps.  I'm working on my SOT so I might do one F/A in the future but in the meantime it would be semi.
View Quote
The closest I have ever found is the CETME-L build by forgotten weapons.

Not exactly accurate to a MP5 build, but its similar.

The biggest things on legality is making sure you dont create a NFA item that's unregistered. So either get your form 1 first or build it as a pistol with a brace or a end cap.

The next thing is the auto components. Obviously you have to modify the pack to kill these functions. Then you must also weld in the semi shelf that blocks auto packs from being dropped in
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I wouldn't be going to club fed for 10 years and lose every single bit of what I care about, then yes it would still have the auto switch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome.

Aw man I thought this was one of those things where the trigger pack was registered and transferrable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The biggest things on legality is making sure you dont create a NFA item that's unregistered. So either get your form 1 first or build it as a pistol with a brace or a end cap.

The next thing is the auto components. Obviously you have to modify the pack to kill these functions. Then you must also weld in the semi shelf that blocks auto packs from being dropped in
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Got it, thanks you.
View Quote
Ill tell you this however. Im not sure how easily it would be to modify a semi to auto once you completed a semi build

The biggest difference between the two other than the pack is the semi shelf, which blocks where the pin hole for the front of the lower attaches.

I would say it could be ground off and you could install the bushing for the hole, but it would be a lot easier just to build auto than to convert later
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You know what you have to do!

How does buying an SD kit work?  Demill the can too, or form 4 for the silencer part?
View Quote
If it's a HK imported can it's treated as a pre dealer sample and can only form 3 to an active FFL/SOT.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If it's a HK imported can it's treated as a pre dealer sample and can only form 3 to an active FFL/SOT.
View Quote
I'll have to look into how they are built.  I figured they were pretty integral to the front of the gun.  That could make for a pain to rebuild, depending on how the demill works.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally got a chance to watch the video. Awesome job!

What kind of grease did you use on the jig during bending?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Would you ever be willing to do a video of the build?  Im interested in seeing the process.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Would you ever be willing to do a video of the build?  Im interested in seeing the process.
View Quote
Look up

Ill drop part 2 when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Finally got a chance to watch the video. Awesome job!

What kind of grease did you use on the jig during bending?
View Quote
Just molly grease

Prob used a lot more than I needed to
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll have to look into how they are built.  I figured they were pretty integral to the front of the gun.  That could make for a pain to rebuild, depending on how the demill works.
View Quote
The can comes out for cleaning so not really integral per say

However the shroud and such is welded in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I went and looked at some parts kits.  It's tempting, except for tool expense. I bought tools to build aks back in the day, because kits were cheap, and my stepdad and I built some.  I'd probably be the only person I know who would build one.

Does the silencer attach in a way that you could build a dummy can or a form 1 can to work on it?

I'm thinking way too much about this.  I told myself wizard eyes were the next toy purchase. Lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I went and looked at some parts kits.  It's tempting, except for tool expense. I bought tools to build aks back in the day, because kits were cheap, and my stepdad and I built some.  I'd probably be the only person I know who would build one.

Does the silencer attach in a way that you could build a dummy can or a form 1 can to work on it?

I'm thinking way too much about this.  I told myself wizard eyes were the next toy purchase. Lol
View Quote
There are companies that make the cans for SD's in the states, it just screws on and bottoms out into an O-ring.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#50]
saving some money for an mp5k clone, would you recommend building one out of parts or should i just buy a clone? How hard is it if you've never done any welding or bending and considering im pretty good with dyi stuff
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top