BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We should just have the same time zone for the entire country that way the sun would set at the same time on both coasts.  Amirite?
View Quote
LOL

OP this is evidence the earf is flat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Latitude matters. That’s the north south point on the globe. If you’re further north in the summer, you get more daylight than the equator.
View Quote
Umm...
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP, if you drive west fast enough, it'll never get dark.
View Quote
And once you hit 87mph the sun rises again.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another mind teaser.....Say your on a flight from NYC to China and assuming you want most direct route ....would you fly due east or fly north over Greenland
View Quote
You fly through the hole in the North Pole, through middle earth & come out the Holland Tunnel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think its 11 miles, not 3.
View Quote
It depends on height of observer and what is being observed. If you are standing at sea level, you can see the surface out to 3. Ships and such should be visible to 11 or 12.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What it looks like facing  north when at the beach in Eesti at 11:00PM this time of year.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56204/3CA38AC5-8A64-44EA-8FCC-BFEA2E339A3A-595364.JPG

This really screws with people from southern latitudes.
View Quote
LOL Nome is like that.  Being on the beach facing south at 1 AM watching the sun come up a second time is... weird.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, start another thread asking why there are two high tides and two low tides per day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In ohio at this time of year at 9:15pm it is still light out, just getting dusk

I was recently on the North Carolina coast and at 9:15pm it was pitch dark.

How is this? Same time zones? I'm ignorant to it
View Quote
FFS lets reason through this...

The earth rotates through 360 degrees in 24 hours (high noon to high noon, you can test this at home- you just have to go outside)

360° / 24 hours = 15 Degrees per hour

longitude is divided in to degrees, minutes and seconds; based on the rotational period of the sun.

Central Ohio (downtown Columbus) has a longitude of -83°

The North Carolina (randomly picked Beaufort) -76.6°

There's a longitudinal difference of 6.4°

6.4/15 = .42 hours  or ~26 minutes

Looking at today's sunset for both 9:04 Columbus and 8:24 in Beaufort is 40 minutes apart, the extra 15 minutes is because of the difference in latitude.  So your 9:15 to 9:15 pm comparison is actually seeing conditions separated by 40 minutes.

To test this, watch the sunset in ohio, then wait 40 minutes and see if it's roughly the same darkness as you remembered from NC.

Being a little discouraged that the above math didn't quite work out, I checked the sunset times for Columbus and Beaufort on March 20 (the Vernal Equinox) and got 7:44 Columbus, and 7:18 Beaufort, A difference of 26 minutes.

So on an equinox the sun will set in Beaufort, then 26 minutes later it will set in Columbus.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Haha, nice shitposting OP.  There is a fine line to walk, if you act too dumb it's too easy to tell.  Too make it believable to you have to act like you are at least as smart as even the dumbest person we've ever met.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Time zones work in one hour increments, the rotation of the earth is continuous, not incremental.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes but they're the same time zones

I thought that was the whole point of time zones
Time zones work in one hour increments, the rotation of the earth is continuous, not incremental.
This. The smooth motion and lack of ticking let you know that it's the real Earth and not a cheap knockoff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This. The smooth motion and lack of ticking let you know that it's the real Earth and not a cheap knockoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes but they're the same time zones

I thought that was the whole point of time zones
lol
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
You weren’t on the treadmill were you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]
rogueboss thread

silly question thread

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Haha, nice shitposting OP.  There is a fine line to walk, if you act too dumb it's too easy to tell.  Too make it believable to you have to act like you are at least as smart as even the dumbest person we've ever met.
View Quote
LOL right?

That's why I always laugh at people when they try to "play dumb" online... if it works they look dumb, if it don't they look dumb.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
So much is clear now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

...in another state.

Finished what most of us are thinking, sorry OH guys.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]
This is the best fucking thread in a long time
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Both are on EST time correct? One is quite a bit west of the other.
View Quote
This (unless you are a flat earther )

You'd be suprised what time it gets light/dark in places like Bar Harbor Maine.

J-
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I sleep better at night knowing you are a LEO.
View Quote
Don't judge us all by him, LMAOO

J-
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But, when the telegraph came around and when railroads became a thing (Because railroads have to be strictly scheduled) everyone decided to standardize their times. To keep clocks at least somewhat tied to the sun time zones were invented.
View Quote
Navigation at sea was a thing before railroads.
BUT, I understand you are breaking it down, Barney style.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

...in another state.

View Quote
Well fuck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ohio.
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Spot when the Sun sets - QI Series 8 Ep 15 Hypnosis, Hallucinations & Hysteria Preview - BBC One
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:25:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 miles straight line then the earth's curves come into play

I know you can see the mountains that far away, and I can see the sun that far away.  I would expect it to be the same sun NC is seeing
It depends on how tall you are and how high the thing you are looking at is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP, start another thread asking why there are two high tides and two low tides per day.
View Quote
Most days, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ohio and nc are same time  zone
View Quote
Yes they are. But you do realize that on average the far western side of the time zone will have a sunrise and sunset roughly one hour later than the far eastern side, right? At least in the US.

God help you if you ever go to China, where they have one time zone for the entire country.  I won't even begin to try to explain the difference you would see there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
JC. I am about to go and buy a coloring book of the US and a box of crayons.

A cop you say?

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FFS lets reason through this...

The earth rotates through 360 degrees in 24 hours (high noon to high noon, you can test this at home- you just have to go outside)

360° / 24 hours = 15 Degrees per hour

longitude is divided in to degrees, minutes and seconds; based on the rotational period of the sun.

Central Ohio (downtown Columbus) has a longitude of -83°

The North Carolina (randomly picked Beaufort) -76.6°

There's a longitudinal difference of 6.4°

6.4/15 = .42 hours  or ~26 minutes

Looking at today's sunset for both 9:04 Columbus and 8:24 in Beaufort is 40 minutes apart, the extra 15 minutes is because of the difference in latitude.  So your 9:15 to 9:15 pm comparison is actually seeing conditions separated by 40 minutes.

To test this, watch the sunset in ohio, then wait 40 minutes and see if it's roughly the same darkness as you remembered from NC.

Being a little discouraged that the above math didn't quite work out, I checked the sunset times for Columbus and Beaufort on March 20 (the Vernal Equinox) and got 7:44 Columbus, and 7:18 Beaufort, A difference of 26 minutes.

So on an equinox the sun will set in Beaufort, then 26 minutes later it will set in Columbus.
View Quote
Thanks for this. This kinda makes the most sense to me. But it still doesn't explain why they wouldn't make them different time zones if the difference is that extreme
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks for this. This kinda makes the most sense to me. But it still doesn't explain why they wouldn't make them different time zones if the difference is that extreme
View Quote
How many hundreds of time zones would you like?

Also have you ever wondered how you can jump and land in roughly the same spot if the Earth is spinning 460 meters per second?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also have you ever wondered how you can jump and land in roughly the same spot if the Earth is spinning 460 meters per second?
View Quote
So by some of your guy logic I should be able to ride a Zip line and see the sun reversing as I ride?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LOL right?

That's why I always laugh at people when they try to "play dumb" online... if it works they look dumb, if it don't they look dumb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL right?

Play?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The earth’s rotational axis is tilted about 23 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Let's go back to 5th grade earth science.  Rotation of the earth and all.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Latitude and longitude both alter daily 'sun time.'
Look at a table for sunrise and sunset times.

Time zones are a compromise for longitude and further corrections
for actual longitude and latitude needing to be applied.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Most days, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most days, anyway.
Yes, topography, currents, etc can have an effect as well.

I didn’t grow up near the ocean so I had a hard time understanding at first.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Trolling or actually that stupid, my opinion of the OP has hit a new low, which is an impressive feat.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Two things in play, how far north you are and how far west you are.  The further north you go the sun hits the atmosphere at a greater angle.  This scatters the light more resulting in much longer twilight.  When I went to El Salvador in the early 1990's it was a shock how short the twilight was.  The sun sets and about 10 minutes later, it's dark.  If I have a clear point of view north from where I live can see a wee sliver of daylight on the northern horizon almost all night long right now as north of the Arctic Circle the suns never sets at this time of the year.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So by some of your guy logic I should be able to ride a Zip line and see the sun reversing as I ride?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just had my mind blown.

Wow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#40]
In on 4!!

Did we figure out that the sun doesn't jump forward every hour to make the time zones work out?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The earth’s rotational axis is tilted about 23 degrees.
View Quote
23* relative to what? The plane of revolution? That's actually a helix because our solar system is translating through our galaxy.

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Lol

Troll thread

But lol anyway just incase the stupid is real
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
...in another state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sleep better at night knowing you are a LEO.
...in another state.

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Man, how did I miss this thread

OP asking about the sunset, probably already sent a complaint to the BBB

Tag for later reading
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I weep for this country.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#46]
There are two factors which may alter the time of sunset.

1)  The Earth rotates from West to East, so as you travel East, you are "forward" on the spin, meaning that you will reach any given orientation relative to an outside object (stars, the Sun) faster.  So as you travel East, you get earlier sunsets and sunrises.  This equates to about a thousand miles per hour at the equator (less so as you move away from it), so 100 miles farther East would put you 6 minutes ahead as far as Sunrise, Sunset, etc. go.

2) The Earth's tilt relative to its path around the Sun results in a tilted line between that area that is dark vs. that area that is lit by the sun, and that line (the demarcation line) changes its tilt.  At the Spring and Fall Solstices, that line is essentially directly North/South.  During the summer, more of the Northern Hemisphere is exposed to light, and the demarcation lines are tilted such that the "sunrise line" is farther West as you move North, and the "sunset line" is farther East.  This means that as the Earth rotates, if you are farther North, the Earth doesn't have to rotate around as far to get to sunrise as it does farther South, and correspondingly has to rotate farther to reach sunset.  The result is the varying lengths of days and nights during the seasons, which are more pronounced the farther you get from the Equator (which has the pretty much the same length day throughout the year).  During the Winter, the opposite is true, and of course the seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere (i.e. it is Winter right now in the Southern Hemisphere, with shorter days and longer nights).

Mike
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You were supposed to stock up on your daylight savings time before going back to Ohio.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't go too far east or you will fall off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Did you miss first grade?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bless your heart.
View Quote
It takes all kinds.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top