BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2024/04/09/toyota-completes-its-off-road-lineup-with-all-new-2025-4runner/?sh=1f6212e4334e

*****EDIT, Article was just removed LOL****

I wonder if it will still be made in Japan like my current J VIN 2018. If that's not the case a GX550 may be in my future. I'm not thrilled with the safety sense 3.0 that monitors your eyes while driving. The 2.4L turbo engine was expected. I would wait a few years to see the reliability. Seems like a lot of nice updates although I'm curious on pricing and where this fits in with the new Landcruiser.
View Quote

Dave Chao thinks so. WB is carried across. Hints strongly. Official word soon
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks nice.  

Maybe a bit overdone in the off road trim but at least they kept it fairly close to the prior gen.

Now if the engine/drivetrain is reliable and not gutless like the last one, that's a winner.
View Quote

Go drive a '24 Tacoma, It'll be close
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a slight evolution of the current model. I like it. But I don’t think I’ll feel compelled to get a new one for a while, because it seems like a .2 iteration instead of total redesign.

Still has the angry carp face grill. Thats a plus.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]

I like that the Limited has bumper parity with the rest of the trims now, so Limited owners are no longer potentially forced to buy a OEM TRD Offroad bumper just to chop it up if they want to go aftermarket.

I don't like the rumors in the now removed article that the full time AWD is going to be optional in the Limited, as in my own biased opinion that was the only reason to get the Limited in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Sam went early. Dead link now
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
any other screen shots before it was pulled

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]

First impressions are that it is not bad looking. It does look to have a smaller greenhouse, which I do not like. Rear visiblity doesn't look great. Prefer the monochromatic look of the limited to the 2 tone flares of the other trims. The 2 tone is reminiscent of the first couple years of the 4th gen, and those have aged horribly. Pricing will be interesting. Not sure how they keep anything but a base 2wd SR5 from costing as much as the Cruiser.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like that the Limited has bumper parity with the rest of the trims now, so Limited owners are no longer potentially forced to buy a OEM TRD Offroad bumper just to chop it up if they want to go aftermarket.

I don't like the rumors in the now removed article that the full time AWD is going to be optional in the Limited, as in my own biased opinion that was the only reason to get the Limited in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Neues Land Cruiser is Full-time.

If you look at how I was trying to lay out what differentiation (and non) I could last page (or page before), there's a rationale developing. Tacoma Part-time

Official indications on 2025 4Runner forthcoming

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People should post whatever they have

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that a Toyota Vehicross?    

I greatly prefer the looks of the current gen.  I will definitely be purchasing a 2024 this year.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I do like the 4R DNA that is there.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Posted the Limited

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/4R_TH_011_jpg-3183071.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/4R_TH_08_jpg-3183080.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/4R_TRD_Pro_jpg-3183073.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/4R_TRD_Pro_02_jpg-3183074.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/4R_GRP_003_jpg-3183072.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/4R_Int_02_jpg-3183081.JPG

Looks decent. Evolutionary and safe. Much Tacoma (tho guess the WB). Anyone cares about limited or others I can post or should be out soon.

TH gets OME 2.5 inch Reservoir shocks that others discussed, and at least one OEM fitment is Toyo Open Country A/T III instead of the Goodyear Territory.

Quality photo leakage.

The Trailhunter and TRD Pro look a bit overcooked for my taste. Hopefully the SR5 and OR trims are a bit cleaner.

Posted the Limited

I'm not sure I love that either, but the pizza cutter wheels are easily avoided, and I'd hope most trims don't have the silver bit under the bumper that gives the lower grille a Mitsubishi Eclipe/new Z catfish look.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First impressions are that it is not bad looking. It does look to have a smaller greenhouse, which I do not like. Rear visiblity doesn't look great. Prefer the monochromatic look of the limited to the 2 tone flares of the other trims. The 2 tone is reminiscent of the first couple years of the 4th gen, and those have aged horribly. Pricing will be interesting. Not sure how they keep anything but a base 2wd SR5 from costing as much as the Cruiser.
View Quote

Cladding material can be an issue, but Toyota does ok. Aesthetically tho. . . somewhat get the practical reasoning

Pricing is part of the differentiation

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Rear side windows= 2nd Gen/1st Gen
Lots of 4th gen look=Fender flares and rear spoiler
of course, 5th gen things too.  

Not sure I'm seeing lots of 3rd Gen(Best Gen!) things right off the top of my head.  

Looks really good overall.  

ETA: I'm almost seeing this as closer to the look of the modded 4th gens more than the 5th gens in appearance.   The 4th gens look great with a different stance, bumpers, wheels, and tires.
View Quote

They took the green from the 3rd gen.

I'm certainly getting 4th gen vibes too, which is probably why the nostalgia bait is going strong.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you look at how I was trying to lay out what differentiation (and non) I could last page (or page before), there's a rationale developing. Tacoma Part-time

View Quote

Of all the trims to get cut backs the Limited would have been the biggest target.

Doesn't mean I can't dislike it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks good, I like it.  Will have to drive that and the Tacoma to see how the turbo 4 bangers compare to my Taco's V6.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks nice.  

Maybe a bit overdone in the off road trim but at least they kept it fairly close to the prior gen.

Now if the engine/drivetrain is reliable and not gutless like the last one, that’s a winner.
View Quote

Here you go again pushing the "gutless" BS you did before.  I have a '23 I bought new in December.  It ain't gutless.  It's just the throttle is geared towards offroad conditions where it may be detrimental to have a lot of drivetrain response in certain situations.  If you push the pedal farther, it most certainly isn't gutless bro.  The throttle curve is set on a sort of exponential.  RC helicopter flyers will know exactly what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#20]
someone sent me the archived link

Juicy bits

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Of all the trims to get cut backs the Limited would have been the biggest target.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feelz ya

Limited is road biased so I can see reasons.

Product planners never make everyone happy

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
They’ve consolidated the look, Tundra/Sequoia Tacoma/4Runna.  I like it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]

No indication which gets the i-FORCE MAX? Confirms some of the TH equipment. That it on dimensions? No technical? Well its Forbes and debut so. . .

Can you post the entire article or is that it?

Meh not much that wasnt known - confirms trims get lockers, SBD is no surprise given Tacoma and LC250. Third row

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Curious to see if the 4R gets the recovery point treatment that the taco got.

I wish we had Hayman Reese bars or similar here.

WANT
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the body style, looks pretty beefy. Not at all into that 4 cylinder until it proves itself, the V6 will be a challenge to beat in terms of reliability. I bought my 2024 2 weeks ago and with this reveal I have no regrets.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cladding material can be an issue, but Toyota does ok. Aesthetically tho. . . somewhat get the practical reasoning

Pricing is part of the differentiation

View Quote

Yeah I think the Cruiser is overall a nicer looking product, but I get that the 4R is probably meant to give more of a youthful sporty vibe, which it does. The poster who said it looks like a Vehicross isn't too far off actually.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Curious to see if the 4R gets the recovery point treatment that the taco got.

I wish we had Hayman Reese bars or similar here.

WANT
View Quote
Just put a pin through the hitch receiver, through your snatch strap eyelet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here you go again pushing the "gutless" BS you did before.  I have a '23 I bought new in December.  It ain't gutless.  It's just the throttle is geared towards offroad conditions where it may be detrimental to have a lot of drivetrain response in certain situations.  If you push the pedal farther, it most certainly isn't gutless bro.  The throttle curve is set on a sort of exponential.  RC helicopter flyers will know exactly what I'm talking about.
View Quote

The 1GR is very lacking in low end torque, which is why it feels slow (to most people). The shift programming and limited ratios of the A750f don't help either. Sure, it has good power at 4500+rpm, but most people don't like to drive around near redline. The T24AFTS should be a huge upgrade in that department, with 315ftlb@1800rpm, compared to 278ftlb@4500rpm
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#29]
How much? $$
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Shit. I really wanted to hate it, but that looks great.

Maybe after a couple of years of feedback on the engine and the electronics. And the LC comparison.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]

the LC250 is 194"

4R 190.2 +4.7 = 195" length

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]
So is the return of a manual transmission option true?  I haven't found anything about that this morning.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, that's the way you want a gas pedal/throttle mapping set up for a truck, especially offroad oriented.

I drove a ram 1/2 ton where the throttle was the exact opposite of what you described.

It absolutely sucked on a gravel driveway.

The slightest amount of throttle movement from idle gave way too much gas and caused wheel spin.

Basically, it wanted to dig holes with the rear wheels instead of moving forward. Very difficult to feather the throttle at all, since it felt like you got 1/4 throttle with 1/16" pedal movement.

Drove a late 90's, 7.3 power stroke that had the absolute best low speed fuel pedal and braking controls for precision backing loads.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So is the return of a manual transmission option true?  I haven't found anything about that this morning.
View Quote

Official announcement is much later tonight.

The one mistakenly released article did not mention it from what i remember but I only skimmed it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Not digging the fender flares. Looks like the tacky aftermarket crap that old guys bolt on their pickups with stock wheels/tires. Trying to look like Raptors and such, without actually doing any of the expensive/hard stuff (long travel).
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, and probably won't be. Just hope on my part due to sharing so much with the new Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Early on, like 9+ months ago, the rumors were the new LC was going to basically be a trim level of the 4Runner.

Granted, the new LC we get is a Prado, which has always shared platform with the 4Runner, but its looking like the LC is basically a 6th Gen 4Runner with a body kit Which Im ok with, I prefer the full time 4wd and rear locker setup with the styling. But if those size specs are true, Im surprised at how large the 4R is now.

My guess at market share plan - 4Runner the younger/sportier Instagram crowd, LC the more middle aged practical use crowd, GX550 for the Starbucks crowd.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#38]

The LC has much more cohesive and balanced proportions.

The 4R looks like they hit the B pillar and went “oh fuck, just cram it all in there”.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I like it!  The wife unit will be needing a new car in a couple of years so maybe I can talk her into one of these.  By then all the first year problems will be worked out.  The only Toyota we've owned was her 04 Avalon and it had over 250k on it when a jackass ran a 4 way and totaled it.  She loved that car and I'll admit it was a pretty damn nice vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The 4R looks like they hit the B pillar and went “oh fuck, just cram it all in there”.
View Quote

I think that’s the nature of wanting to keep the slanted rear window in the design.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My guess at market share plan - 4Runner the younger/sportier Instagram crowd, LC the more middle aged practical use crowd, GX550 for the Starbucks crowd.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The 4R looks like they hit the B pillar and went "oh fuck, just cram it all in there".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The 4R looks like they hit the B pillar and went "oh fuck, just cram it all in there".
That's because its the Tacoma front end and A pillar structure shoved into an SUV body
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

this
View Quote

4Runner will also likely have some trims slot in the 35-55k price range that the Land Cruiser was leaving out.

That's still a big portion of todays 4Runner market that would have been abandoned with 'just' the Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

4Runner will also likely have some trims slot in the 35-55k price range that the Land Cruiser was leaving out.

That's still a big portion of todays 4Runner market that would have been abandoned with 'just' the Land Cruiser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Yep, like the over 60 crowd who have been waiting for a redesign

I might be tempted to take one for arf and be an early adopter
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

I bet the lowest price SR5 will be $42k. Similar pricing structures as to the Tacoma for trim levels.

But yes, fixes the lower price point gap created by the LC.

The LC is still weirdly thrown in the lineup no matter how you look though. The 4R Pro and higher end TRD Off Roads will definitely overlap it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I bet the lowest price SR5 will be $42k. Similar pricing structures as to the Tacoma for trim levels.

The LC is still weirdly thrown in the lineup no matter how you look though. The 4R Pro and higher end TRD Off Roads will definitely overlap it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

>>Iconic Nameplate<<

I realize the J300 wasn't going to move units above J200 volumes, the States still gets rhe J310 and  the Seqouia has picked up some slack at a higher margin, but still not happy.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

>>Iconic Nameplate<<

I realize the J300 wasn't going to move units above J200 volumes, the States still gets rhe J310 and  the Seqouia has picked up some slack at a higher margin, but still not happy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

>>Iconic Nameplate<<

Yeah. Im still going to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#48]
What is the torque rating? HP about the same.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Hot damn, i would buy the shit out of that....
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had several RC helicopters from 450 all the way up to a SAB 700 electric.  Not really sure what comparison you’re trying to draw.  Throttle curves are adjusted based on my preference, most of the time there’s so much power that it’s irrelevant.  I always run a straight curve on the throttle and manage the collective with my left hand.  They also have a single reduction drivetrain not a multiple-speed transmission.

I’ve driven both, the Gladistor moves out in comparison.  That’s my opinion and it’s backed up by automotive experts everywhere.  Deal with it instead of dragging up old shit.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top