User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's convenient!

In trade for the app tracking everywhere you go in the store, tracking where in the aisles you hang out, tracking what you linger over but don't buy, and everything you buy and getting all the financial data you give it and than the store can take all that data and your personal information and sell it to the highest bidder.

but it's convenient.

I swear, we'd march into a physical gulag if we were promised some convenience.

ETA: I'm not making this stuff up.

https://lifehacker.com/how-retail-stores-track-you-using-your-smartphone-and-827512308

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/22/retailers-tracking-shoppers-smartphones-in-store/5711945/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/14/opinion/bluetooth-wireless-tracking-privacy.html

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/retail-stores-plan-elaborate-ways-to-track-you

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/retailers-use-smartphones-to-track-your-habits-in-the-store-1.2653566

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/21/shops-track-smartphone-uk-privacy-watchdog-warns

ETC: https://search.brave.com/search?q=retail+stores+track+cellphones
View Quote

Yep, they have been doing this for years.  Nordstrom was one of the first.

Grocery stores use infrared cameras in the ceiling to create a heat map of customers going through the store so they can optimize traffic patterns.   They change aisles for A-B testing to see if it changes sales, same for end caps and stand alone displays.  In some test market stores they put eyeball tracking cameras to watch how you look at the product placement on shelving.

...And then there are the taste development researchers who are constantly trying to get the to taste "bliss point" to get you addicted to their products.  An entire psycho-bio science devoted to this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Leave it to corporate retail stores to fuck up a good thing and alienate customers.

Self checkout solved a lot of problems and delays that exist within these stores.

The people that don't like them probably have no reservations about bringing everything to a grinding halt while they whip out their checkbooks after demanding a price check.

Oh well. Don't have to deal with this shit when I shop online instead.

View Quote

They did it because states keep raising minimum wage and it is cheaper and easier in the long run to go with a kiosk instead of paying a retard to screw it up just as bad. Hence why cashiers will be obsolete. Fast food will be completely automated. Has nothing to do with the customer experience and everything to do with lowering overhead. Employee salary is using the top expense of any company
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same. Why does everyone want to talk to a grocery store cashier so badly?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate anything but self checkout
In fact I refuse to use a checkout where I have to interact with another person

Far too many people have no life and don’t value their free time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the self checkout when everything I am buying can be scanned without a hiccup......which is usually, never.
There is always beer from the grocery store, bulk wire from Lowes, etc, that can't be scanned to go.

Tony

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The ability to competently and honestly use a self checkout should be the threshold for voting rights.
View Quote

and a civics test.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
"The self checkout was made only for a moral and religious people, it is wholly inadequate for any other" - John Adams.     "A self checkout, if you can keep it" Ben Franklin was heard to say.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Reading through this thread, it struck me how lucky and ungrateful we are. Here we are, surrounded by shelves overflowing with food, and we're bitching about how long it takes to get through a line with that abundant food. {Myself included.} Crazy.

Hungry people down through the ages could not even imagine what it's like to be in our position.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Scan and go for me
View Quote
This.
Our Sam's Club offers it. Scan with your phone app as you place each item in the cart. Swipe to pay and leave.
Couldn't be easier.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Everywhere I go, every month there are more and more self checkouts and few and fewer staffed registers
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I like them.

Though I love Wyoming… people here still write checks and gab with cashiers while the line is stacked ten deep and only one cashier.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the self checkout when everything I am buying can be scanned without a hiccup......which is usually, never.
There is always beer from the grocery store, bulk wire from Lowes, etc, that can't be scanned to go.

Tony

View Quote

It’s always the odd ball stuff for me with either some kind of corporate or government restrictions that hangs me up with them till someone verifies age. Not stuff you expect like alcohol or tobacco. Random stuff like spray paint, OTC meds, chemicals, cleaning products.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Captive audience.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I like them and will continue to use them, it doesn't take a genius to use these things.
Most places I go that have there will be an employee around to assist.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Scan and go for me
View Quote

I remember a TX grocery store in 2005 having a scan and go thing built into the carts as a trial run (obviously pre smartphone).  I liked the idea.

Part of the reason I shop at Sam's Club is their scan and go app.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Home Depot near me turned the self checkout into "pay for old women who can barely operate the machines to operate the machines for you" because of theft. It's infuriating.
View Quote

Here they used the disabled for that.  Cheaper to employ.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I love them but they need to put an age limit. You need to be under 55 to use them and it’s for 15 items or less.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]
SCO is not a nightmare, it’s a blessing if you’re honest or thief.

Yea people really steal like crazy from retail stores.  I have worked in LP/Security/Law Enforcement for 18 years and it’s always been rampant. Everything we buy has a shrink cost built into it. Hate thieves, they always think they aren’t hurting the million dollar companies. Which they are right. They are making everyone else pay while the company execs pass the costs to us.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In trade for the app tracking everywhere you go in the store, tracking where in the aisles you hang out, tracking what you linger over but don't buy, and everything you buy and getting all the financial data you give it and than the store can take all that data and your personal information and sell it to the highest bidder.
View Quote

OMG!!!!!!! They are going to see what products I like so they can provide more products that I like. DOOOOOM!

AND they are going to tell other retailers what I like so they will provide more products that I like. DOOOOOM!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuck self checkout! I'm still pissed about having to pump my own gas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with the customer experience and everything to do with lowering overhead.
View Quote

It does seem like most retail and fast food restaurants don’t give a shit about customers anymore. Wonder how long that’ll payoff for them?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Good.

Now get rid of the “tipping” at every place you buy something.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Scan and go for me
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While I'm not a theif, I hope lots of theives are fucking Meijer stores hard.

We got a new one near me and I can't use thier machines without having to double check every price. If they are not trying to fuck you on price, they just plain don't work. When Im with my wife, I wont even scan anything. My wife finds a problem at least 50% of the time, where we never have a problem anywhere else.

It's the only store where people at the kiosks tell others to watch thier item prices.
And this is all the time. Its widely known and talked about around here.
And by now, if it was a flaw, it would have been fixed.
View Quote

Got any examples of pricing issues?

I shop at Meijer a fair bit and haven't found a lot of legit pricing errors in the last few years.  I do look for them as MI pays up to a $5 bounty when errors occur at checkout.  Same items only get paid out once, but you can get paid out for every different item/UPC that scans a higher price than was marked/tagged on shelf.

What I have noticed lately is that Meijer has changed their policy on a lot of sale prices where they are on sale 3 for $5, but only if you buy 3.  If you buy less than 3, they are regular price and it says that on the shelf tags.  I don't like it, but it's not like they're hiding it or screwing any one on that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did they also stick the power tool batts and small lengths of electrical wire in locked cases which nobody is ever around to open?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't see self scan machines going anywhere anytime soon.  Maybe because we have an additional 15million illegal unskilled people in our country, the federal government will outlaw them, but that would be the only way I see it happening.

Won't be long and the cashier will be expecting a tip.

I shop at ALdi, and they have 1 checkout girl and 4 self scans, at least 1 of the self scans is almost always open.  I don't get 100 items, i get like 10 and the self scan is a life saver regardless what time of day I go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I find that at the stores I frequent the morons tend to shy away from the self checkouts.  It is very rare that I have to stand in line behind a moron while they try to navigate the complexities of buying some chocolate milk and fudge rounds.  I do see cashiers who are hating life because all they get in their lines are morons who have no hope of ever doing anything right, and I pity them for it.  When a moron does get stuck using the self checkout they wail and moan loudly about wanting the employee discount, having to wait for someone to help them, and trying to figure out why their free stuff card doesn't have any money left on it.  The world needs fewer morons.  Yet we, as a society, subsidize the lifestyle and constantly make excuses for it.  

We don't have a self-checkout problem.  We have a moron problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While I'm not a theif, I hope lots of theives are fucking Meijer stores hard.

We got a new one near me and I can't use thier machines without having to double check every price. If they are not trying to fuck you on price, they just plain don't work. When Im with my wife, I wont even scan anything. My wife finds a problem at least 50% of the time, where we never have a problem anywhere else.

It's the only store where people at the kiosks tell others to watch thier item prices.
And this is all the time. Its widely known and talked about around here.
And by now, if it was a flaw, it would have been fixed.
View Quote

That sucks, Meijer here is fantastic. Use the scan n go app and it even tells you what coupons are available.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Seems like it’s fine in the suburbs and not so fine in….ahem…other places.

I couldn’t imagine why.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good.

Now get rid of the “tipping” at every place you buy something.
View Quote

How do I leave a tip for working the self-check?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Funny

Here in white bread usa,  we dont have that problem

Walmart actually put in a larger section of self checkouts
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#31]
“Accidental theft”.  Is that like when your girlfriend gets “accidentally pregnant”?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I wasn’t very well trained to do this work myself.

I’m more of a forklift kind of guy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#33]
It's amazing the number of problems reported.
I have never had a single problem and even the 3 foot tall Aztec women with 2 full carts and 12 kids seem to be able to function them, along with the little 98 year old blue haired meemaws. We all just zip right through.
Y'all must live in extra retarded areas. Or perhaps..."If you meet assholes all day..."

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Buggy?  First time I’ve ever heard a shopping cart called a buggy.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That sucks, Meijer here is fantastic. Use the scan n go app and it even tells you what coupons are available.
View Quote

My wife uses that. She likes the store, but will go to an actual cashier if one is open. If just a few items, she will use the self check outs. And she watches very carefully.
I took some time to think. There are 5 other stores in the nearest, and only real big town in the county that I regularly go to. Right off the interstate, they are pretty much clustered together.

Those all have self checkouts. I don't mind using them.  Never one problem. Meijer? At least 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I hate having to interact with a cashier. I thoroughly enjoy self checkouts.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I hate self checkouts.  If nothing else it deprives someone of a job.  Good riddance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can't stand the ones at Kroger. I know they use sensors in the bagging area to see if you put the correct item in a bag but their machines suck. Never fails I'll get at least one popup on the screen telling me to put the item in the bag that I just did. Sometimes this happens enough the attendant has to come over and unfuck the machine.

View Quote

You and me both. Kroger's are the fucking worst.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I prefer to use a human to check me out. I refuse to let anyone but ME pack my merchandise in the sack/bag. What really boggles my mind is that places like WalMart had their customer TRAINED to pick their own cart , fill it and then transport it to their vehicle AT NO COST TO WALMART and then some genius decided to PAY EMPLOYEES to do it for the customer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I generally like the self checkouts unless I have a ton of stuff in my cart.  I hate the ones that use a scale in the bagging area, though.  If I go with my wife she generally holds the bag open while I toss the stuff in there.  But look out if she moves the bag because now the system things something didn’t get rung up.  It’s frustrating to put all your shit loose in the bagging area THEN bag it once your card has been processed.

The past few months at Costco the self checkout lane has been LONG.  I found out I can actually go to a manned checkout and get out faster for 2 reasons: 1) The cashiers there are great at their job. 2) Too many idiots have no business doing self checkout because they are retards and take for-fucking-ever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't want to self checkout and I don't want to bag my own groceries.  I bagged groceries as a kid, now I expect some snot nosed kid to do it for me.
View Quote

Did/do you support 15.00/hr (or more) minimum wage?

If so, enjoy bagging your own groceries.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I love self-checkout. The ones they have installed at Circle-K are FANTASTIC.

Boomers should not be allowed to use self-checkout, neither should people paying cash be allowed to use self checkout.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I happen to like self checkouts.  They'll never hire enough cashiers if they do away with them and you'll end up standing in lines again.
View Quote

Exactly!
40 cashier lines, and only 5 are open, self checkout for the win!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I happen to like self checkouts.  They'll never hire enough cashiers if they do away with them and you'll end up standing in lines again.
View Quote

I hate lines. Anything that makes me not have to wait in line for, I support.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The ability to competently and honestly use a self checkout should be the threshold for voting rights.
View Quote

You’ve got a point there…
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I like self checkouts at places like Home Depot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They did it because states keep raising minimum wage and it is cheaper and easier in the long run to go with a kiosk instead of paying a retard to screw it up just as bad. Hence why cashiers will be obsolete. Fast food will be completely automated. Has nothing to do with the customer experience and everything to do with lowering overhead. Employee salary is using the top expense of any company
View Quote

Maybe we should fix the root problem instead of implementing bullshit band aid “fixes”.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#49]
I like self checkout. Saves me a fucking ton of time. Why do I have to be punished because everyone else is fucking dumb?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

OMG!!!!!!! They are going to see what products I like so they can provide more products that I like. DOOOOOM!

AND they are going to tell other retailers what I like so they will provide more products that I like. DOOOOOM!
View Quote

Must be nice to not engage in critical thinking.

I swear more and more people think they are educated on a subject because they saw a few memes about it.

It’s the same thinking as yours. Terribly shallow and absolutely dangerous.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top