BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I happen to like self checkouts.  They'll never hire enough cashiers if they do away with them and you'll end up standing in lines again.
View Quote

there used to be, until they installed the retarded machines

if they gave you a discount for using them it would be one thing, but paying to do their job? fuck that shit
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Self-checkout is fast. That's the reason I like it. And, I don't have all the problems with it that some folks seem to have. I wonder if it's a generational thing?
The Publix by my mom's place is packed with old timers. I can remember when they installed their self-checkout machines. Made a lot of Me-maws and Pee-paws vapor lock.
The last time people stared at computer screens with such looks of grim determination, they were trying to save Apollo 13.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love self-checkout. The ones they have installed at Circle-K are FANTASTIC.

Boomers should not be allowed to use self-checkout, neither should people paying cash be allowed to use self checkout.
View Quote

More people should use cash. There is a reason people are getting brainwashed to not use it and to see it as bad.

It’s only bad for one group of people. The power hungry elites who want total control over us.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Walmart's self checkout system seems to work great.

The local Kroger here makes me want to punch kittens.
View Quote
I don't go to Walmart much but the last two times I went to the one here over half of the self checkouts didn't work. I went to Kroger the other day. They have four out of six self checkouts operational and they had one register open. What a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I like them, I get in and out faster. Publix, get a sandwich made, 2 secs and I'm walking out. Small amount of items at home depot quick scan and I'm out, no waiting.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Captive audience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate anything but self checkout
In fact I refuse to use a checkout where I have to interact with another person

Same. Why does everyone want to talk to a grocery store cashier so badly?

Far too many people have no life and don’t value their free time.

Captive audience.

I get a little bit jealous of the old timers I often shoot with. They just turn their hearing aid down for shooting. I would totally use that feature in public.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
My company installs self checkouts for around 5 or 6 major companies, and I can tell you that they're still installing them, with renewed contracts for 2024.

However if they want to remove them, that's job security for me and my colleagues.

I also love self checkouts, because I can do it faster and wait in less lines. My local gas station got one and I love it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
lol this thread is going exactly how I thought it would.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My local gas station got one and I love it.
View Quote
The Wawas around here have self-checkout and, IME, no one ever seems to use it. Many times, I've walked right past 10 or more people on line. It's great.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I won't use them...don't care if others do but I have zero interest in scanning and bagging my own stuff unless they want to give me a discount for me doing their job.  Guess that makes me a old coot or something even thought I am not that old.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Hire a human.   Eschew self-checkouts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Wawas around here have self-checkout and, IME, no one ever seems to use it. Many times, I've walked right past 10 or more people on line. It's great.
View Quote

Gas stations are the ideal place for them. I rarely purchase anything more than a Dr. Pepper and a Slim Jim, so I'm out quickly - not waiting behind Bernice and her 75 scratch-offs.

Grocery or department store self-checkouts do annoy me sometimes, for reasons I'm sure have been listed somewhere in this thread. Overall, I prefer them, but they aren't without flaws.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL, thieves don't even go through the checkouts in the US anymore. They straight-up walk out the door.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Walmart doesn't do anything on a whim. They studied the self-checkout situation and concluded that there will be theft (referred to as "shrinkage"). They know that.

But the losses through theft are less than the costs associated with the three to four employees the self-checkout machines replace. Think wages, benefits, FICA, employee shrinkage (yes, the employees also steal and give merch to friends), etc., etc.

They concluded, therefore, that a certain amount of loss through customer theft, machine error, etc., is acceptable, and still makes the self-checkouts more profitable than hiring and maintaining humans.

I love self-checkout.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Nearly everything I buy I order online. I probably go inside a store 4 or 5 times per year, besides grocery stores.  If there is only self checkout, I leave the buggy in line and leave.  I don't use them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I like self check out.

Usually the only problem ( grocery store ) is produce not loaded in system or accidentally double swiping than you have to have the monitor checker fix it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

if they gave you a discount for using them it would be one thing, but paying to do their job? fuck that shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I happen to like self checkouts.  They'll never hire enough cashiers if they do away with them and you'll end up standing in lines again.

People used to go to the grocery store and hand them a list of items they wanted. When people had the chance to get their own items, they liked it.

It's not going to be 1910 forever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

More people should use cash. There is a reason people are getting brainwashed to not use it and to see it as bad.

It’s only bad for one group of people. The power hungry elites who want total control over us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love self-checkout. The ones they have installed at Circle-K are FANTASTIC.

Boomers should not be allowed to use self-checkout, neither should people paying cash be allowed to use self checkout.

What the hell is wrong with using cash at the self checkout?  

I get $100 bill from someone, I'll take a picture of it (because the video never works in your favor), shove it in the damn thing and get a bunch of change.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the ones I use in a few places but am selective about how and when I use them.  One chain I shop at and prefer does not have them and never has.  I like it and they always have staff and very usually no lines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the self checkout for a few items but for a whole cart it’s too much hassle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont mind them.  Only issues I ever have are when some grey hair takes 20 min to scan 10 items ants to pay by check or if I’m buying something that requires age verification.  Then it’s 50/50 if an attendant is present and can come over and key in a birthdate.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I like self check out well enough.
Unless I am buying a bunch of produce (looking up codes or typing in product name) or booze (getting carded and have to wait for an employee)
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Walmart's self checkout system seems to work great.

The local Kroger here makes me want to punch kittens.
View Quote
I stopped going to Kroger because of their self checkout made me want to punch the employees.

I will go to Publix, Wal-Mart etc and use the self checkout with no issues, Krogers was always a PITA.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone calling self checkout a nightmare leads an insignificant life or exaggerates as a matter of course.

Self checkout has reduced the time I spend by at  stores. If it goes away because of thieves that’s hardly a victory
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Walmart doesn't do anything on a whim. They studied the self-checkout situation and concluded that there will be theft (referred to as "shrinkage"). They know that.

But the losses through theft are less than the costs associated with the three to four employees the self-checkout machines replace. Think wages, benefits, FICA, employee shrinkage (yes, the employees also steal and give merch to friends), etc., etc.

They concluded, therefore, that a certain amount of loss through customer theft, machine error, etc., is acceptable, and still makes the self-checkouts more profitable than hiring and maintaining humans.

I love self-checkout.
View Quote

This is the answer ^^  Self check out will never go away because it is cheaper to have minor theft than pay an employee.  I always use self check out because I hate cashiers putting things on top of my bread, bruising my bananas or putting cleaning supplies/soap in with food.  David
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nearly everything I buy I order online. I probably go inside a store 4 or 5 times per year, besides grocery stores.  If there is only self checkout, I leave the buggy in line and leave.  I don't use them.
View Quote

So you put a bunch of stuff in a “buggy” push it to the front and leave it?

I just want to make sure I understand. You leave out perishable items you don’t own and make strangers clean up after you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Must be nice to not engage in critical thinking.

I swear more and more people think they are educated on a subject because they saw a few memes about it.

It’s the same thinking as yours. Terribly shallow and absolutely dangerous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG!!!!!!! They are going to see what products I like so they can provide more products that I like. DOOOOOM!

AND they are going to tell other retailers what I like so they will provide more products that I like. DOOOOOM!

Must be nice to not engage in critical thinking.

I swear more and more people think they are educated on a subject because they saw a few memes about it.

It’s the same thinking as yours. Terribly shallow and absolutely dangerous.

So why don’t you explain it to me instead of spewing bullshit?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
All places need a app that scans and tallys with you phone.  Just like the sams app.   I was in/out there in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lol I like the "but why?" part.

I guess it's a question for the ages

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132893/two_types_png-3097248.JPG

View Quote

That's a Japanese vending machine on right.  Japanese culture > American culture
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I always use self-checkout where available.

My wife used to do the regular cashier check out until a bad experience with a check out girl one time.

After that she always uses self check out too.

I doubt they will do away with them.  Just improve them.

The Fred Meyer's(kroger) I frequent updated their machines to add cameras and belts like the Walmart ones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I will like self checkout when I start getting the employee discount.
I loathe the principle of me paying to do the employees work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do too but I think there should be order size limits.

I use self checkout for speed and convenience.

I don’t want to have to wait ten minutes behind Shaniqua and her fat ass, buying 300 items so she can swipe dat EBT.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Once walmart employees taught me how to use the damn thing, it wasn't bad other then some over the counter medicine require employees ID. Now expect prices to rise twice as much.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I usually prefer self checkout, unless I have a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#35]
More made-up drama for those seeking more victim-status points.

Who is FORCING people to endure these so-called self-checkout "nightmares"?

I GREATLY prefer self-checkout.   Easier, faster.  No inane and forced small talk from cashiers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I GREATLY prefer self-checkout.   Easier, faster.  No inane and forced small talk from cashiers.
View Quote

Look Kent.

That's great that it's easier, convenient and that you know how to operate it.

But there are people out there who like to force everyone else to wait behind them while they argue with the cashier over expired coupons, write a check and rewrite it after they get the day wrong.

If we keep self checkouts, those people are going to have NO ONE to hold up and it will just about suck the last bit of life out of them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry Boomers, self-checkouts aren't going anywhere...deal with it.

Enjoy your Boomer rule while you can.  This will be the last presidential election cycle that Boomers make-up the majority of primary voters and the first year that Mlilennials make up the majority of voters in the general election.  After this year, Boomer tyranny ends and the whole damn world will not have to accommodate tham on every single damn thing.  At long last the other generations will have to actually be considered.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry Boomers, self-checkouts aren't going anywhere...deal with it.

Enjoy your Boomer rule while you can.  This will be the last presidential election cycle that Boomers make-up the majority of primary voters and the first year that Mlilennials make up the majority of voters in the general election.  After this year, Boomer tyranny ends and the whole damn world will not have to accommodate tham on every single damn thing.  At long last the other generations will have to actually be considered.  

View Quote

Enjoy your diverse, liberal, worker’s paradise.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Look Kent.

But there are people out there who like to force everyone else to wait behind them while they argue with the cashier over expired coupons, write a check and rewrite it after they get the day wrong.

If we keep self checkouts, those people are going to have NO ONE to hold up and it will just about suck the last bit of life out of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look Kent.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't go to Walmart much but the last two times I went to the one here over half of the self checkouts didn't work. I went to Kroger the other day. They have four out of six self checkouts operational and they had one register open. What a clusterfuck.
View Quote

Funny you should say that. I’m reporting live from my local Kroger:

I only shop here because their whipping cream is better than Walmart’s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I briefly worked at a company that did grocery store warehousing and supply software. It was a wet dream in the 90's to get rid of cashiers and make it where the customer simply rolled their cart through a machine or arch and they were billed automatically.

Instead, we got self-checkout with poorly designed machines.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If I have just 2 or 3 items I love self check out. No wasting time.
View Quote

I could roll with this but it’s almost never the case when going to the store. When forced to use them 99.9% of the time I absolutely hate the self checkouts. Often times at the local Kroger the lines for them are so long it’s quicker to get checked out in the regular line. They’re pretty fast here with a cashier and a bagger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone calling self checkout a nightmare leads an insignificant life or exaggerates as a matter of course.

Self checkout has reduced the time I spend by at  stores. If it goes away because of thieves that’s hardly a victory
View Quote

In other news, the world doesn't rotate around you, me, or any other humans.

Article in OP pointed out why they are going away from it: it costs more to run and has driven theft up a lot.

IE it's a nightmare for the stores.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is the answer ^^  Self check out will never go away because it is cheaper to have minor theft than pay an employee.  I always use self check out because I hate cashiers putting things on top of my bread, bruising my bananas or putting cleaning supplies/soap in with food.  David
View Quote

Not only do self-checkout machines double theft rates, they actually increase labor costs thanks to employees who get taken away from their other duties to help customers deal with the confusing and error prone kiosks. Overall, some analysts say the machines increase costs overall, which is especially painful news for the industry because they’re so expensive to install. A system of four machines can cost upwards of six figures.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Bet you they’d be doing better with aggressive prosecution of shoplifting
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So you put a bunch of stuff in a “buggy” push it to the front and leave it?

I just want to make sure I understand. You leave out perishable items you don’t own and make strangers clean up after you?
View Quote

That serves them Right!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@fxntime
Not that I know of. I think I would have heard about it by now. Especially there.
I'm the guy that walks his cart back. If I decide I don't want something or something else, I'm that guy that walks it all the way back and returns it where I got it, not just dump it in the aisle.
But Meijer's machines infuriate people. When I've tried to use them and they start ripping me off or not working, I just walk away and leave it all there to go somewhere else. I tell the constantly frustrated self check out worthless worker that their system is trying to rip off people with wrong prices. I know two other people that have done the same.
I'm to the point that I won't go there. I'll go with my wife and she catches a lot of mistakes. The attendant just clears it and allows it through. They don't even care, it happens so much.
The thing that blows me away is the shoppers are very verbal in looking out for others. "Make sure you check the prices here when you scan. They try to rip you off." is common to hear.

It's 110% intentional.

I'm glad stores are reconsidering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Wisconsin have a 3x refund on the difference if the price charged is higher then the actual sale price?

I used to clean up at Meijers in Mi every time before I stopped going there entirely.

They do it on purpose, I am convinced of it.

@fxntime
Not that I know of. I think I would have heard about it by now. Especially there.
I'm the guy that walks his cart back. If I decide I don't want something or something else, I'm that guy that walks it all the way back and returns it where I got it, not just dump it in the aisle.
But Meijer's machines infuriate people. When I've tried to use them and they start ripping me off or not working, I just walk away and leave it all there to go somewhere else. I tell the constantly frustrated self check out worthless worker that their system is trying to rip off people with wrong prices. I know two other people that have done the same.
I'm to the point that I won't go there. I'll go with my wife and she catches a lot of mistakes. The attendant just clears it and allows it through. They don't even care, it happens so much.
The thing that blows me away is the shoppers are very verbal in looking out for others. "Make sure you check the prices here when you scan. They try to rip you off." is common to hear.

It's 110% intentional.

I'm glad stores are reconsidering.

Meijers was horrible here for that also. However, if we catch it, we can get paid for it up to $5 I believe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Funny you should say that. I’m reporting live from my local Kroger:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/BBDB6E11-8CF5-4465-A57F-8B3F695038AF-3097810.jpg

I only shop here because their whipping cream is better than Walmart’s.
View Quote

That looks like a old fashioned K-Mart??
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That looks like a old fashioned K-Mart??
View Quote

It's the Kroger near me. I only go there when 1) I need whipping cream - theirs is hands down thicker/richer than what you get at Wal-Mart and 2) I'm already on that end of town because I was at the feed store.

So I went there today. Took that picture. Sat in line forever.

Then I went to Walmart because Kroger's price on a couple of things is more than I'm willing to pay. And I had to drive right past Walmart on the way home anyway.

I planned to take a picture of the shorter line at the Walmart self-checkout, but THERE WAS NO LINE SO I CHECKED RIGHT OUT AND WENT HOME. Which underscores my point.

Walmart's self-checkouts are great. Kroger's SUCKS. It worked well enough for me today, but not well enough for the 87 other people in the store.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Unexpected dookie in bagging area
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top