BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anecdotal story: My cousin watched a guy get shot in the face with 00 buck.  The individual ran off and survived.  He was shot in the lower jaw from an angle and while it destroyed his face it was not a deadly shot.

That same shot from a 5.56, probably wouldn't have looked nearly as nasty and the result would have been the same.

My biggest issue was your assertation that it would take 15 5.56 rounds to equal one round of 00 buck.

In the end CNS is what stops the threat immediately. After that is vitals like the heart and lungs which will lead to fairly quick incapacitation, but not immediate. I choose a 5.56 because I am fast with it and if the first shot misses the CNS my time to the second is much faster than with a shotgun.

If I had the option available I would use a machinegun operating around 900-1000rpm in short 3 to 5 shot bursts shooting 75gr TAP or equivlant performing rifle round. At 1000rpm 5 shots is about 1/3rd of a second, at CQB distances MK18 style weapons are very controllable and can easily be kept on target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP
...and in either photo, the damage shows that a heart muscle would still be destroyed, or a neck vertebra and spinal cord would still be shattered, or a brain would still be rendered incapable of further motor function. The difference is that the 75 gr TAP does all that and then goes on to perform a Gallagher watermelon smashing act. Nobody, but nobody, will survive a head shot from either round, Gallagher watermelon smashing act or no Gallagher watermelon smashing act.

So what part of a Gallagher watermelon smashing act makes a dead man more dead?

Anecdotal story: My cousin watched a guy get shot in the face with 00 buck.  The individual ran off and survived.  He was shot in the lower jaw from an angle and while it destroyed his face it was not a deadly shot.

That same shot from a 5.56, probably wouldn't have looked nearly as nasty and the result would have been the same.

My biggest issue was your assertation that it would take 15 5.56 rounds to equal one round of 00 buck.

In the end CNS is what stops the threat immediately. After that is vitals like the heart and lungs which will lead to fairly quick incapacitation, but not immediate. I choose a 5.56 because I am fast with it and if the first shot misses the CNS my time to the second is much faster than with a shotgun.

If I had the option available I would use a machinegun operating around 900-1000rpm in short 3 to 5 shot bursts shooting 75gr TAP or equivlant performing rifle round. At 1000rpm 5 shots is about 1/3rd of a second, at CQB distances MK18 style weapons are very controllable and can easily be kept on target.

...which is what I have been saying all along- lethality isn't so much the caliber or even the bullet, but where the bullet lands.  Granted, at ranges shorter than ten feet the 00 pellets haven't separated yet and are effectively the same as a slug, but even then, slug damage is still effective:

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...which is what I have been saying all along- lethality isn't so much the caliber or even the bullet, but where the bullet lands.  Granted, at ranges shorter than ten feet the 00 pellets haven't separated yet and are effectively the same as a slug, but even then, slug damage is still effective:

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/slugs-gel1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/slugs-gel1.jpg
No, no they really aren't.  They're effectively a bunch of small caliber round balls that all hit in very close proximity to each other, but they are in no way effectively the same as a slug.  Physics is repulsed by you.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

#4 doesn't consistently nor reliably meet FBI 12" penetration requirements.
View Quote

that's why he chose it, gotta protect that pre-ban water heater
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And there it is.

Love it when the shotdung acolytes insist on scenarios A, B and C (that they coincidentally conjured up and just so happen to support their assertions) are totally reasonable and exactly how any situation will unfold.

Then someone else suggests a different scenario, that happens to challenge their notions slightly, and it's all OMGERHMAGERD THAT IS INSANE IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN WHY WOULD I LIVE IN A WARZONE WARGOBBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!1!!!1

For the 87th billionth time. A shotgun will work for home defense. It's been killing people dead for a long, long time. An AR will work mo betta. It's really that simple. I'm not sure why it's so challenging for some to accept it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So (forget how I said the Ar IS effective) because I am effective at in close distances with the shotgun my appraisal is solely because of 1980s action movies I have seen? If I can't beat a carload of guys (like a carload of guys is going to try to break in around here, but for academics sake lets say they are) at night trying to get upstairs with my primary 590 and the wife holed up, calling 911 and backing me up covering my rear, then no matter what I got I'm finished anyhow.

And there it is.

Love it when the shotdung acolytes insist on scenarios A, B and C (that they coincidentally conjured up and just so happen to support their assertions) are totally reasonable and exactly how any situation will unfold.

Then someone else suggests a different scenario, that happens to challenge their notions slightly, and it's all OMGERHMAGERD THAT IS INSANE IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN WHY WOULD I LIVE IN A WARZONE WARGOBBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!1!!!1

For the 87th billionth time. A shotgun will work for home defense. It's been killing people dead for a long, long time. An AR will work mo betta. It's really that simple. I'm not sure why it's so challenging for some to accept it.
WARGOBBLE11!!!1!!!1!1!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#4 doesn't consistently nor reliably meet FBI 12" penetration requirements.

Fuck spending my Saturday afternoon at Home Depot.  Is is right by a Costco and a Starbucks so traffic and parking is a motherfucker.  I'd literally rather die than replace my water heater.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You mean you DON'T try to use contact shots?  Better chance of not missing, and all.

I mean, the only way to really make a shotgun better is to make it longer.  Like if it were more like a halberd, and then...

That's it!

The new shotgun-halberd!
* 70" barrel
* 25 round magazine (with birdshot, obviously)
* Bird's head grip
* Axe blade
* Combination cavalry hook and bottle opener
* Flashlight for low-light use

I'm gonna kickstarter this shit and make a fortune.

The BEARBUSTER 3000!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those have to be damn near muzzle to skin contact hits.

You mean you DON'T try to use contact shots?  Better chance of not missing, and all.

I mean, the only way to really make a shotgun better is to make it longer.  Like if it were more like a halberd, and then...

That's it!

The new shotgun-halberd!
* 70" barrel
* 25 round magazine (with birdshot, obviously)
* Bird's head grip
* Axe blade
* Combination cavalry hook and bottle opener
* Flashlight for low-light use

I'm gonna kickstarter this shit and make a fortune.

The BEARBUSTER 3000!

I'll buy it!

Seriously though.

I have nothing against shotguns. I like mine with slugs. I have my reasons. I know the pros and cons and it's what I'm using. But fucking birdshot jackasses are just jackasses.

I have nothing against AR's, love mine but I am not currently using it for HD, I have my reasons, I understand the pros and cons of that. My choice. At some point a may switch over, but not right now.

Regardless of what anyone chooses, if they don't practice with it it makes little difference.
Understanding each firearms strength and weakness, your abilities, your home, your "plan", your "likely" scenarios and what's available is what counts.

But it certainly is hard to find too many cons with an AR...

But that doesn't mean no other firearm employed in an HD is not acceptable with proper ammo selection and training*.

*with in reason
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Didn't read because "Holy fuck that's too long".  

But, based on the thread title, I'm sure it's not awesome and leans much closer to retarded.
View Quote

Why did I bother to click this thread?

Body armor is great as long as you take a hit in the body armor. That stray pellet that hits you in the head of your dick is going to ruin your day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]

That's one of the best ones yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66945

Nobody has said a shotgun is a useless nerf toy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the preposterous notion that the 12 gauge which has proven itself time after time in the past has somehow spontaneously become a Nerf toy now that the 5.56 has been invented that makes my head short circuit.

Good grief, you sound like those clueless gun control nuts I argue with who always claim "nobody is trying to ban my guns" because there seems to be a hell of a lot of nobodys.  If no one is saying shotguns are inferior then why then is there seven pages of butt hurt from AR fans over someone saying they prefer a 12 gauge over a AR?  Why is that guy with the ballistic gel block fetish continuously boasting about the performance of the 75gr TAP over the 00 buck when to me they look like they equally make a bad guy equally dead?

I will say this again- I have a 12 gauge AS WELL AS an AR so I have no allegiance to either.  If it's a single attacker in the house, I'm reaching for the 12 gauge.  If it's a rioting mob of Obama's sons coming up the driveway  I'm reaching for the AR.  They are both good at their specific jobs so arguing over which one is better to me is like arguing whether a screw driver is a better tool than a wrench.  It's a free country...or it will be once we get a Republican president again...so your opinion may differ.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good grief, you sound like those clueless gun control nuts I argue with who always claim "nobody is trying to ban my guns" because there seems to be a hell of a lot of nobodys.  If no one is saying shotguns are inferior then why then is there seven pages of butt hurt from AR fans over someone saying they prefer a 12 gauge over a AR?  Why is that guy with the ballistic gel block fetish continuously boasting about the performance of the 75gr TAP over the 00 buck when to me they look like they equally make a bad guy equally dead?

I will say this again- I have a 12 gauge AS WELL AS an AR so I have no allegiance to either.  If it's a single attacker in the house, I'm reaching for the 12 gauge.  If it's a rioting mob of Obama's sons coming up the driveway  I'm reaching for the AR.  They are both good at their specific jobs so arguing over which one is better to me is like arguing whether a screw driver is a better tool than a wrench.  It's a free country...or it will be once we get a Republican president again...so your opinion may differ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the preposterous notion that the 12 gauge which has proven itself time after time in the past has somehow spontaneously become a Nerf toy now that the 5.56 has been invented that makes my head short circuit.

Nerf Gun --------------------- 12G -------- AR15

Does this word picture help you see how a shotgun can be inferior to an AR15 while being better than a Nerf gun?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Good grief, you sound like those environmentalist wackos I argue with who always claim "nobody is trying to ban my water heater" because there seems to be a hell of a lot of nobodys.  If no one is saying vented tanks are inferior then why then is there seven pages of butt hurt from tankless fans over someone saying they prefer an old fashioned tank?  Why is that guy with the hot shower fetish continuously boasting about the performance of the oatmeal rasin?

I will say this again- I have a vented tank AS WELL AS a tankless I have no allegiance to either.  If it's a single man in the shower, I'm using the vented tank in the barn.  If it's a hot wet session with the gf I'm hopping in the tankless powered bedroom shower.  They are both good at their specific jobs so arguing over which one is better to me is like arguing whether a nailbat is a better tool than a halberd.  It's a free country...or it will be once we get a reptilian president again...so your opinion may differ.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Does this word picture help you see how a shotgun can be inferior to an AR15 while being better than a Nerf gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!  THE STRAW MEN ARE MARCHING!  THEY WILL ACHIEVE DRY, GRASSY DOMINION OVER THIS THREAD!  ALL HAIL OUR NEW HAYBALE OVERLORDS!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:If it's a single attacker in the house, I'm reaching for the 12 gauge.  If it's a rioting mob of Obama's sons coming up the driveway  I'm reaching for the AR.  
View Quote

What if I told you, you won't know how many people are in your house
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The pic you posted meant absolutely nothing, so I figured I put in enough minimal effort to match it.  Seriously, your picture, as a furtherance of your argument, means NOTHING.  Woo, you found a picture of a dead old outlaw who was killed by a shotgun.  So convince, much evidence.

I never claimed to be an expert in terminal ballistics.  I'd say I'm an informed layman.  I've read enough about the subject, and looked at enough evidence (not random anecdotes, which are a favorite of the shitgun crowd), to have an informed discussion with other informed laymen, and to not make a complete fool of myself to an actual expert.  YOU, on the other hand, equated 5.56, specifically at HD ranges, with a single pellet of 00 buck.  As the evidence others have presented in the pages after, this shows such ignorance of the subject that you seem qualified to discuss terminal ballistics with gap-toothed Cletus, who sometimes works the gun counter at Bass Pro, but prefers to work the fishing tackle section.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've been watching too much television, friend...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Doolinbody.png
Yes, really.  You post a pic, so fucking what?

Here, let me post a pic, since that's somehow a cogent argument over in the other 'verse.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp57/IkeMcgowan/sniper_shot2_292.jpg

The link you're using references this as a sniper shot.  That almost certainly means that was a 7.62 NATO round that parted that particular Red Sea, and if that's a pic from Vietnam then that didn't come out of an AR.  Not that it matters since pretty much every caliber will put a bad guy down after a head shot, even .a 22 round.  Remember Robert Kennedy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2C3exp0R4

You're the self styled expert in terminal ballistics here and I'm the supposed fucktard.   Why the hell am  the one who has to explain that to you?
The pic you posted meant absolutely nothing, so I figured I put in enough minimal effort to match it.  Seriously, your picture, as a furtherance of your argument, means NOTHING.  Woo, you found a picture of a dead old outlaw who was killed by a shotgun.  So convince, much evidence.

I never claimed to be an expert in terminal ballistics.  I'd say I'm an informed layman.  I've read enough about the subject, and looked at enough evidence (not random anecdotes, which are a favorite of the shitgun crowd), to have an informed discussion with other informed laymen, and to not make a complete fool of myself to an actual expert.  YOU, on the other hand, equated 5.56, specifically at HD ranges, with a single pellet of 00 buck.  As the evidence others have presented in the pages after, this shows such ignorance of the subject that you seem qualified to discuss terminal ballistics with gap-toothed Cletus, who sometimes works the gun counter at Bass Pro, but prefers to work the fishing tackle section.

HA HA I love it when people come on GD and get so butt hurt when people disagree with them.  You are the one who showed a photo of a head shot from a 7.62 as proof of the lethality of a 5.56 AR, not me.  All I did was call you on it, and no I didn't compare a single pellet of 00 buck with  5.56.  I compared one ROUND of a 12 gauge 00 buck...as in one shell... with one ROUND of a 5.56...as in one cartridge.  If you want an equivalent photo of a shotgun head wound to compare apples and apples, here you go.  This guy committed suicide so we can safely assume only one shotgun shell was fired:

You got caught at a bait and switch.  Deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In honor of this thread I'm going to play BF4 and only use a shotgun. I'll compare my score to my normal rifle to scientifically prove which platform is better.

I will also not be wearing pants.
View Quote

Sounds legit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Body armor is great as long as you take a hit in the body armor. That stray pellet that hits you in the head of your dick is going to ruin your day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't read because "Holy fuck that's too long".  

But, based on the thread title, I'm sure it's not awesome and leans much closer to retarded.

That's why I wear an up-armored jock strap around the house. Got to protect those vitals.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
HA HA I love it when people come on GD and get so butt hurt when people disagree with them.  You are the one who showed a photo of a head shot from a 7.62 as proof of the lethality of a 5.56 AR, not me.  All I did was call you on it, and no I didn't compare a single pellet of 00 buck with  5.56.  I compared one ROUND of a 12 gauge 00 buck...as in one shell... with one ROUND of a 5.56...as in one cartridge.  If you want an equivalent photo of a shotgun head wound to compare apples and apples, here you go.  This guy committed suicide so we can safely assume only one shotgun shell was fired:

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/attachments/f10/346663d1332380423-gunshot-wound-deaths-64.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/attachments/f10/346663d1332380423-gunshot-wound-deaths-64.jpg

And now you're shown to be a liar, dishonest, and utterly untrustworthy.

Quoted:

Moreover, to repeat the damage caused by 00 buck with one pull of the
trigger you'll need to pull the trigger on an AR FIFTEEN TIMES.

Or, you're literally too dumb to remember what you said just a few pages ago.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
HA HA I love it when people come on GD and get so butt hurt when people disagree with them. You are the one who showed a photo of a head shot from a 7.62 as proof of the lethality of a 5.56 AR, not me. All I did was call you on it, and no I didn't compare a single pellet of 00 buck with 5.56. I compared one ROUND of a 12 gauge 00 buck...as in one shell... with one ROUND of a 5.56...as in one cartridge. If you want an equivalent photo of a shotgun head wound to compare apples and apples, here you go. This guy committed suicide so we can safely assume only one shotgun shell was fired:

You got caught at a bait and switch. Deal with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

SNIP

HA HA I love it when people come on GD and get so butt hurt when people disagree with them. You are the one who showed a photo of a head shot from a 7.62 as proof of the lethality of a 5.56 AR, not me. All I did was call you on it, and no I didn't compare a single pellet of 00 buck with 5.56. I compared one ROUND of a 12 gauge 00 buck...as in one shell... with one ROUND of a 5.56...as in one cartridge. If you want an equivalent photo of a shotgun head wound to compare apples and apples, here you go. This guy committed suicide so we can safely assume only one shotgun shell was fired:

You stated:

Moreover, to repeat the damage caused by 00 buck with one pull of the trigger you'll need to pull the trigger on an AR FIFTEEN TIMES.

Which appears to directly compare one pellet of buck to one round of 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WARGOBBLE11!!!1!!!1!1!!  
View Quote

The best part of this thread is WARGOBBLE
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:If it's a single attacker in the house, I'm reaching for the 12 gauge.  If it's a rioting mob of Obama's sons coming up the driveway  I'm reaching for the AR.  

What if I told you, that if there are multiple people in the house specifically there to kill you then it doesn't matter what you use because baddie number two and three will still kill you while you're preoccupied with shooting baddie number one?

...and what if I told you, that if baddie number two and three instead shit their pants and make a beeline out of the house after seeing baddie number one meeting his maker then it still doesn't matter what you use because baddie number two and three won't be there anymore to be shot with it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WARGOBBLE11!!!1!!!1!1!!  

This needs repeating. WARGOBBLE!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WARGOBBLE11!!!1!!!1!1!!  

Is that the war cry of turkeymen?

I hear they can be dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Okay, time to throw gas on the fire...how exactly does the AR "completely outclass" a 12 gauge?  The last I checked the anatomy of human beings haven't evolved any further than they did since shotguns were first invented, which tells me that OO buck is every bit as lethal today as they were in days past.  Moreover, to repeat the damage caused by 00 buck with one pull of the trigger you'll need to pull the trigger on an AR FIFTEEN TIMES.

The rationale I go by is this- if it's a short ranged single target you want to put down immediately; the 12 gauge is king.  If you need to engage ten or more targets or if the range is longer, then the AR is king.  If you want to engage targets 1000 yards out with a heavy punch, then heavy rifles like M1a are king.  Saying "The AR outclasses everything else" is like saying a hammer outclasses a screwdriver.  They were designed to perform different tasks and there is no such thing as one single tool that does everything.  People with heavy rifles like an M1A who engage targets at 1000 yards with a heavy punch will laugh at your AR.  You do know that, right?

I have a 12 gauge AND an AR AND a Garand, so I am not playing favorites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I, at least, skimmed it.

No one, hyperbole for humorous effect aside, ever said that the shotgun is useless for HD.  But it's so completely outclassed by the AR that it's just silly to go with that when an AR is available.

Okay, time to throw gas on the fire...how exactly does the AR "completely outclass" a 12 gauge?  The last I checked the anatomy of human beings haven't evolved any further than they did since shotguns were first invented, which tells me that OO buck is every bit as lethal today as they were in days past.  Moreover, to repeat the damage caused by 00 buck with one pull of the trigger you'll need to pull the trigger on an AR FIFTEEN TIMES.

The rationale I go by is this- if it's a short ranged single target you want to put down immediately; the 12 gauge is king.  If you need to engage ten or more targets or if the range is longer, then the AR is king.  If you want to engage targets 1000 yards out with a heavy punch, then heavy rifles like M1a are king.  Saying "The AR outclasses everything else" is like saying a hammer outclasses a screwdriver.  They were designed to perform different tasks and there is no such thing as one single tool that does everything.  People with heavy rifles like an M1A who engage targets at 1000 yards with a heavy punch will laugh at your AR.  You do know that, right?

I have a 12 gauge AND an AR AND a Garand, so I am not playing favorites.

Pretty much sums up my thought train as well
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What if I told you, that if there are multiple people in the house specifically there to kill you then it doesn't matter what you use because baddie number two and three will still kill you while you're preoccupied with shooting baddie number one?

...and what if I told you, that if baddie number two and three instead shit their pants and make a beeline out of the house after seeing baddie number one meeting his maker then it still doesn't matter what you use because baddie number two and three won't be there anymore to be shot with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

might as well nuke my house from orbit then, if those fuckers get me I'll at least deny them my water heater.

Shotty

Mossy

Remmy
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You stated:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

You stated:

Moreover, to repeat the damage caused by 00 buck with one pull of the trigger you'll need to pull the trigger on an AR FIFTEEN TIMES.

BUT, now that he's done a 180 and acknowledged at least rough parity between the damage done by a single shot of 5.56 and a single 12 ga. 00 buck shell, I'll address his original question of "Okay, time to throw gas on the fire...how exactly does the AR "completely outclass" a 12 gauge?"

It's lighter, more compact, reloads easier, holds more ammo to begin with, faster follow up shots for when you miss, delivers it's damage more precisely, more ergonomic, easier to suppress for hearing considerations AND can remain more compact at the same time...shall I go on?

Clearly outclasses the shotgun.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WARGOBBLE11!!!1!!!1!1!!  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever actually fired a gun or you one of those Call of Duty players, because what I'm saying now and what I said before is the exact same thing.   Pulling the trigger once on a shotgun fires one shotgun shell.  Pulling the trigger on an AR fires one cartridge.  Firing one three inch 00 buck shotgun shell launched fifteen projectiles.  To launch fifteen projectiles on an AR you need to pull the trigger 15 times...unless you were referring to Class III, and we both know you weren't.  

Please, just stop posting.  You aren't going to make yourself look any better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
BUT, now that he's done a 180 and acknowledged at least rough parity between the damage done by a single shot of 5.56 and a single 12 ga. 00 buck shell, I'll address his original question of "Okay, time to throw gas on the fire...how exactly does the AR "completely outclass" a 12 gauge?"

It's lighter, more compact, reloads easier, holds more ammo to begin with, faster follow up shots for when you miss, delivers it's damage more precisely, more ergonomic, easier to suppress for hearing considerations AND can remain more compact at the same time...shall I go on?

http://media.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

You stated:

http://media.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

FWIW, I think the comparison of a single pellet to a 5.56 projectile is falacious to start with.  Because velocity=energy.  Energy transfer induces hydrostatic shock.  Hydrostatic shock short circuits the CNS.  You don't have to shoot the guy 12 or 15 times with an AR.  Its a straw man argument.  Plus all that stuff shade said.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#30]
this has me thinking about cover and concealment at my house. So I made a thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1744526_The_shot_gun_thread_has_me_thinking_____.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#31]
You said "to repeat the damage" - which is clearly not the same between pulling the trigger 15 times on an AR and once on a 12ga with 00 buck.  I could see an argument for two trigger pulls on an AR, to one on a shotgun, but 15 is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Does it help that part of my decision (and yes I do train with it and not slow fire on static range targets only) to use the 590 was that the wife takes the AR as backup because it's more comfortable/easier for her to use?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Have you ever actually fired a gun or you one of those Call of Duty players, because what I'm saying now and what I said before is the exact same thing.   Pulling the trigger once on a shotgun fires one shotgun shell.  Pulling the trigger on an AR fires one cartridge.  Firing one three inch 00 buck shotgun shell launched fifteen projectiles.  To launch fifteen projectiles on an AR you need to pull the trigger 15 times...unless you were referring to Class III, and we both know you weren't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see that reading...even reading what you yourself wrote, is not your strong suit.  Let me break it down for you.

"to repeat the damage caused by 00 buck with one pull of the trigger you'll need to pull the trigger on an AR FIFTEEN TIMES"

To repeat the DAMAGE caused by 00 buck with one pull of the trigger...that's the damage caused by 15 pellets.  Key word there is "damage", not, as you are now claiming, "to repeat the number of projectiles hitting the target".  So, again, you claim that 15 pellets of 00 buck cause the same damage as pulling the trigger on an AR 15 times, which clearly equates to stating that the DAMAGE caused by pulling the AR trigger once is 1/15th of the damage caused by pulling the shotgun trigger once, or, equating 15 rounds of 5.56 to one shell containing 15 pellets, which reduces to one round of 5.56 being equal to one pellet of 00 buck.

Read it through a few times if you don't grasp simple English.  Might help to run your finger along the screen as you reread what YOU wrote...and maybe move your lips while you do it, too.

Still not sure if a liar or just dumb, though.  Nor which benefit of the doubt I ought to give you.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Does it help that part of my decision (and yes I do train with it and not slow fire on static range targets only) to use the 590 was that the wife takes the AR as backup because it's more comfortable/easier for her to use?
View Quote

Yes, buy my wife has three AR's of her own without needing to borrow any of mine
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes, buy my wife has three AR's of her own without needing to borrow any of mine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish my wife was more into guns...

She's not, at all.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aw hey man, its your funeral.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife likes to work the reloading press.  She's not as much into guns as I am, but she still enjoys shooting them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If it's a single attacker in the house, I'm reaching for the 12 gauge.  If it's a rioting mob of Obama's sons coming up the driveway  I'm reaching for the AR.
View Quote

Does physics change given the number and location of the attackers?

Or is it a terrain & bears sorta thing?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife likes to work the reloading press.  She's not as much into guns as I am, but she still enjoys shooting them.
View Quote

She's all for me doing what makes me happy but she's not into it.

One of the first dates we went on was shooting. AR and AK along with some pistols. She's only gone with me a few times. She shot the Shotgun a few times but it's so harsh on recoil she's over it.

Last time she went with me we banged it out in the back of the cab in the truck with other shooters around

Oh and yeah, shotgun something or another...

Hurumph hurumph hurumph...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]
This is an interesting post, but consider that too many words - with more than one syllable- without references to FBO and pics of cats will not hold the micro attention span of GD

If I understand correctly you are suggesting that we not discount the shotgun as an effective tool for self preservation? You make some valid points regarding body armor and over penetration.
Personally I think it depends on what size box you live in. For example, in a studio apartment a handgun with a light is more maneuverable an easier to use. Even up close you can miss with a shotgun, add to that the noise, flash and concussion in a small space while half asleep. I believe this also applies to condos and most homes.

Home invasions are close fast engagements, if is unrealistic to think you can wake up fast enough to grab your 12 gauge and apply it in effectively. The same can be argued for handguns, but if you are going to relay on a firearm for defense then you should be training with it.

Here is a fun game, your SO will love you for this, My Ex was always excited to play it:

Set an alarm clock, one you are not used to for a random time after 0200, in fact have someone else set it for you. Go to sleep, when the alarm goes off, get out of bed and with your (unloaded and cleared) weapon of choice begin clearing your house. Obviously real world safety rules apply, unload show clear, no flagging ppl etc. This is a very sobering drill because, no one wakes up 100% on, and you would be surprised how many things in your house you are unaware of. Consider how well you see when you wake up that fast and how co ordinated you are on your feet.

Other than a home invasion or you own a farm in what is -regrettably- now Zimbabwe ( look up the abuse of white farmers there) I cant see a practical reason to reach for a Shot gun, UNLESS you can get up in the blink of an eye and clear your house with it. It comes down to personal preference. I cant see using an AR either, unless it is an extreme situation like a peaceful protest led by community organizers pushing their way **inside **my building and inflicting violence on my neighbors.  Even then sound judgement needs to be used, how sound is your judgement when you are half awake, scared and moving to fast?

Shot guns are effective close range weapons, but can you move through your house with an 18 inch barrel and full stock as well as with a hand gun?  That is just something to consider. If someone enters your home, forcefully that is a very dangerous scenario. Talking time is over, "scaring" the threat is over, it is all or nothing. .... at the end of the day it depends on your skill level and awareness of your AO.

Hope the cider turned out

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My little fat grandmother type wife is really an excellent shot, I know she'll be at my back with either her CZ75 or the silenced SBR AR, but then I wonder "did I do anything to piss her off today?"
She watches lots of crime shows on TV and might be getting ideas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Preaching to the choir if I have to step outside the AR is coming with me. I just like the 590 inside. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I don't think I posted any derp with my reasoning behind it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before I buckle down on school shit...

The fun thing about these threads is that people don't take the time to reconcile is that 5.56 gets deadlier and more incapacitating at a faster rate as range decreases due to yaw and fragmentation.

As range decreases with a shotgun, so does the shot pattern.  At close ranges like HD, the pattern can be very small to almost unopened.  This means that the accuracy margin that they enjoy is diminished and that a near miss could be no different than with a rifle. From a terminal perspective, close up shot and buckshot acts like a solid mass, further out they are individual objects, not "a wall of lead".  Just a bunch of low power pistol rounds that as range increases, are more likely to miss vital areas. Of course, one could load slugs to avoid that, since at close range everything acts like one mass so you're not losing anything, and at farther range it's more accurate...

But then all that's been created is a slow to shoot, heavy low capacity rifle.

Anyone that can competently defend their home with a shotgun, would be more capable with a rifle.

Preaching to the choir if I have to step outside the AR is coming with me. I just like the 590 inside. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I don't think I posted any derp with my reasoning behind it.

Have you tried shooting it inside? perhaps a small room? without peltors and glasses?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You stated:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

You stated:

That was not my intention.  No one is debating the meat grinder effectiveness of the 5.56 and it is silly to compare a simple low velocity lead ball to a high velocity steel, lead, and copper frangible projectile,  but it still cannot be debated that shutting down the windpipe, the heart, the lungs, the diaphragm, and a few bones all simultaneously is more effective than shutting down one single organ with massive trauma, particularly when the target is moving and a shot to a critical area cannot be counted on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

wat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

If someone is dedicated and wants to kill you, you may as well give up and let them kill you.  You can't possibly win.

If someone doesn't really want to kill you, then no problems, right?  Just do something to make them run away.  Maybe slam a screen door?

So you really don't need a gun at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Have you tried shooting it inside? perhaps a small room? without peltors and glasses?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before I buckle down on school shit...

The fun thing about these threads is that people don't take the time to reconcile is that 5.56 gets deadlier and more incapacitating at a faster rate as range decreases due to yaw and fragmentation.

As range decreases with a shotgun, so does the shot pattern.  At close ranges like HD, the pattern can be very small to almost unopened.  This means that the accuracy margin that they enjoy is diminished and that a near miss could be no different than with a rifle. From a terminal perspective, close up shot and buckshot acts like a solid mass, further out they are individual objects, not "a wall of lead".  Just a bunch of low power pistol rounds that as range increases, are more likely to miss vital areas. Of course, one could load slugs to avoid that, since at close range everything acts like one mass so you're not losing anything, and at farther range it's more accurate...

But then all that's been created is a slow to shoot, heavy low capacity rifle.

Anyone that can competently defend their home with a shotgun, would be more capable with a rifle.

I fired a shotgun from inside a car, once. I will not do so willingly again. The 556 rifle isn't on the list of GTG guns for shooting inside either.
The barrel was about 10 inches inside the window when I fired pointing out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I better switch with her then, I wouldn't want to get killed
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would love to see a bunch of Arfcom ninjas wearing nothing but their boxer shorts, blasting off dozens of rounds in a narrow dark hallway w/o hearing protection.

Hot brass all bouncing off the walls and tickling their nipples...stop it!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disclaimer. Ive never been to Cola Wars, i think its cool. Keep everything you have.
Add a kill house. Have guys walking through with an AR 15 or a shot gun. Shoot targets.
Have a the participant lying in a bed, he then has to get up and shoot targets he isnt familar with.

The Shotgun vs Ar will be solved.
I would love to see a bunch of Arfcom ninjas wearing nothing but their boxer shorts, blasting off dozens of rounds in a narrow dark hallway w/o hearing protection.

Hot brass all bouncing off the walls and tickling their nipples...stop it!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Maybe slam a screen door?
View Quote

This guy tried slamming a screen door to ward off attackers.

He didn't make it
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

This is an interesting post, but consider that too many words - with more than one syllable- without references to FBO and pics of cats will not hold the micro attention span of GD

If I understand correctly you are suggesting that we not discount the shotgun as an effective tool for self preservation? You make some valid points regarding body armor and over penetration.

Personally I think it depends on what size box you live in. For example, in a studio apartment a handgun with a light is more maneuverable an easier to use. Even up close you can miss with a shotgun, add to that the noise, flash and concussion in a small space while half asleep. I believe this also applies to condos and most homes.

Home invasions are close fast engagements, if is unrealistic to think you can wake up fast enough to grab your 12 gauge and apply it in effectively. The same can be argued for handguns, but if you are going to relay on a firearm for defense then you should be training with it.

Here is a fun game, your SO will love you for this, My Ex was always excited to play it:

Set an alarm clock, one you are not used to for a random time after 0200, in fact have someone else set it for you. Go to sleep, when the alarm goes off, get out of bed and with your (unloaded and cleared) weapon of choice begin clearing your house. Obviously real world safety rules apply, unload show clear, no flagging ppl etc. This is a very sobering drill because, no one wakes up 100% on, and you would be surprised how many things in your house you are unaware of. Consider how well you see when you wake up that fast and how co ordinated you are on your feet.

Other than a home invasion or you own a farm in what is -regrettably- now Zimbabwe ( look up the abuse of white farmers there) I cant see a practical reason to reach for a Shot gun, UNLESS you can get up in the blink of an eye and clear your house with it. It comes down to personal preference. I cant see using an AR either, unless it is an extreme situation like a peaceful protest led by community organizers pushing their way **inside **my building and inflicting violence on my neighbors. Even then sound judgement needs to be used, how sound is your judgement when you are half awake, scared and moving to fast?

Shot guns are effective close range weapons, but can you move through your house with an 18 inch barrel and full stock as well as with a hand gun? That is just something to consider. If someone enters your home, forcefully that is a very dangerous scenario. Talking time is over, "scaring" the threat is over, it is all or nothing. .... at the end of the day it depends on your skill level and awareness of your AO.
Hope the cider turned out

View Quote

I've got 16 cameras around the house.  It's nice for the bump in the night and your not sure what's going on around the house.  I can look up at my monitor and see pretty much everything inside and outside of the house.  Every window and door is covered.  I figure it's also a good deterrent.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top