BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’d imagine it would be more about the searching and rescue than the days in the tiny can.
View Quote

You need to add a supernatural element. Like they all pass out and are suddenly on the titanic on the night of the disaster, and they have to warn the captain about what happens, but he won't listen to the weird stowaways, and they have to survive the sinking
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’d imagine it would be more about the searching and rescue than the days in the tiny can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be a pretty boring movie.  120 minutes of them staring out the window, shitting in a little plastic urinal,  and yelling at the CEO for getting them into this mess.

Deleted scenes would have them smacking the controller again and again trying to get it to work.

Maybe a touch on the cutting corners in the building and maintaining...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PDakkadakka/status/1671537025999093763?t=XHgcBHpE8WgQN3Tu4s_Vbw&[/tweet]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And a pack of ziplock bags to recreate the shitter.
View Quote

Maybe a Homer bucket and 13 gallon trash bags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Site is janky.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Site is janky.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

. Coincidentally I may resemble that remark  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A question for those who know something about carbon fiber structures, because I don't.

I thought (could be wrong) that carbon fiber is very strong in tension but not so good in compression.  Therefore with a pressure vessel, a carbon fiber construction would be good if you were going to put 5-6000psi inside the container.

That way the container is trying to expand, like a balloon, and carbon fibers are in tension and that's where they are strong and the container works.

But with this sub the carbon fibers are being compressed by water forces around the outside.  If carbon fiber is weak in compression isn't this whole design wrong?
Stop thinking like a 50 year old white guy.  

. Coincidentally I may resemble that remark  

I'm with ya though, my thoughts exactly on the material science of carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never read that.   I know that CO poisoning causes problems with exchanging O2.
View Quote

I've heard that many times over.  If you can't scrub the CO2 out then you can have all the O2 you like, you're going to dead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be a pretty boring movie.  120 minutes of them staring out the window, shitting in a little plastic urinal,  and yelling at the CEO for getting them into this mess.

Deleted scenes would have them smacking the controller again and again trying to get it to work.

Plot twist. The capsule scenes were all a dream, the captain wakes up at home the day of departure, and gets on the ship. The final scene is the implosion at the time of lost contact.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You need to add a supernatural element. Like they all pass out and are suddenly on the titanic on the night of the disaster, and they have to warn the captain about what happens, but he won't listen to the weird stowaways, and they have to survive the sinking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine it would be more about the searching and rescue than the days in the tiny can.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Correct, CO2 poisoning is suffocating because you can't exhale/off-gas.  We can survive ok, down to about 14% O2 (for a little while) but if CO2 gets too high, we can't exchange gasses.  At 40% CO2, you would suffocate even if the O2 concentration was a normal 21%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CO2 poisoning is not "falling asleep."

Correct, CO2 poisoning is suffocating because you can't exhale/off-gas.  We can survive ok, down to about 14% O2 (for a little while) but if CO2 gets too high, we can't exchange gasses.  At 40% CO2, you would suffocate even if the O2 concentration was a normal 21%.

Do the guys that kill themselves with a running car/garden hose get passed out drunk ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Your brain would be crushed before it could interpret any visual signals.

Should be a lights out situation with the nearly instantaneous compression acting on every surface.

Plus the inrush forces would cause a huge pressure spike one all the gasses were compressed.  I can't math that one out but it is way over that constant 6000psi.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the guys that kill themselves with a running car/garden hose get passed out drunk ?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I know, F CBS and all, but give this a watch. It seems the reporter was less than impressed.

https://youtu.be/29co_Hksk6o
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's CO, not CO2
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
#2 looks like the surgeon general tranny from PA.  3,4, and 5 look passable.
View Quote

and 1 is fit for the midcap harem
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Considering the passengers are all rich, they're paying the costs of this search and rescue right?
View Quote

The families should be, but honestly the knowledge gained should be invaluable.

That knowledge is don't visit the titanic in a bullshit sub.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#21]
had a thought which I'm sure has already come up seeing that this thread increased by 40 pages overnight but i Haven't read through them all yet
shouldn't the "mother ship" have had a second sub or at least one of those remote unmanned ones to be able to immediately go after the tourist sub when they lost contact?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Look the whole industry told me not to do this as rule don't use ti and cf; well I did it"

dumbass
View Quote

Which quote do you think they should etch on his gravestone?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I've got the Netflix adaptation ready.  

Plot: An evil white racist deliberately sends five black disabled migrant homosexual transgender orphans to their deaths by cutting corners for profit.

Protagonist: David Sarah Lochridge. A stunning and brave 25-year-old female engineer. She's top of her class at CalTech and MIT and has a Nobel Prize in Engineering and Literature (because she has the best story).  She finds a cheap and effective way to make a submersible but is sexually harassed and fired by the CEO and his son because they hate women and because Andrew Tate told them to do so.  Played by Zendaya.  

Antagonists:
CEO and son, played by Michael Fassbender and the Rock. Ignore strong woman's suggestion and deliberately make unsafe tourist sub for disadvantaged orphans in coordination with Donald Trump.

Other Antagonists: Donald Trump, played by Alec Baldwin. Deliberately sabotages international agreement on safety regulations in effort to kill those immigrants, who are all rapists.  Luckily no guns needed for props so safe to hire Alec Baldwin.

Director:
Michael Bay

Producers: Dan and Dave from Game of Thrones, collaborating with all 87 producers from Star Trek: Discovery.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Footage released of search for Titanic sub
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How many sonobuoys have been dropped? Are they recoverable?
View Quote

Sonobuoys are not recoverable… they can be pretty incredible to watch.  Depending on the variety there are some which unfold like a really cool origami from the deployment tube into a massive array of sensors.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I did see a VA class heading down the river yesterday. Probably coincidence.
View Quote
it would be a far better platform to listen from wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It also said the penis was invaginated or shoved back into the body.
View Quote

Fucking trannies.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Titan incident is the exact opposite and pushed to extremes,  rather than getting sucked out a small hole or having your blood boil (de-compressed), they are going to get crushed into a layer of pate' between two layers of hull.
View Quote

Nah,  carbon fiber won’t crush like a can it will shatter.  They will be impaled by shards and crushed by the pressure at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a Triton submersible good for 13,000 feet.  Carries two people

Here is one good to 36,000 feet:

This one can carry dozens of people but only to 328 feet.  If it could be modified to go to 14,000 feet or so someone could open up Titanic tourism.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Seeing all the bullshit build quality, I get the impression that the CEO dude would have tried to reach orbit with a rocket made of sonotube and bottle rockets.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]
The documentary Last Breath is a great watch. This story  reminded me about it, though they're different scenarios.  Worth the couple bucks to rent since it's not on Netflix anymore.

Last Breath (2019) | Trailer HD | Alex Parkinson | Remarkable Underwater Survival Documentary

Also, there are an astounding number of folks who apparently don't know the difference between CO and CO2
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
24:06
"i'd like to be remembered as an innovator. I think it was General McArthurs said you're remembered for the rules you break. and i've broken some rules to make this. I think i've broken them with logic and good engineering behind me. The carbon fiber and titanium there's a rule you don't do that. Well, I did."

This is what I keep seeing listening to this idiot talk:
https://lanthorn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/office-900x600.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mexican actor Alan Estrada's trip to the Titanic. Check out when the CEO talks about the plexiglass window at (22:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5SUDFE6CA
24:06
"i'd like to be remembered as an innovator. I think it was General McArthurs said you're remembered for the rules you break. and i've broken some rules to make this. I think i've broken them with logic and good engineering behind me. The carbon fiber and titanium there's a rule you don't do that. Well, I did."

This is what I keep seeing listening to this idiot talk:
https://lanthorn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/office-900x600.jpg

Wayne and his brother share a interesting record. Both played in the NHL.

Brent and Wayne Gretzky hold the NHL record for most points scored by a pair of brothers — 2,857 by Wayne, four by Brent.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Most amazing thing out of all of this for me, is learning how a plane that is noisy as fuck can “hear” banging underwater
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hope the rescuers have a plan to breech the hull when , if they find it on the surface.
View Quote

Exactly. They STILL have to get the hatch open so the crew can get oxygen. Imagine being a rescuer watching the crew through the glass as they die......
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Would you even see a flash?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bob Ballard described what a sub implosion at great depth would be like. He said the incredibly fast and violent compression of the air inside the vessel would basically cause everything to ignite like diesel fuel in a Diesel engine. Then immediately be extinguished by the water

Would you even see a flash?

Not if you blinked.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Exactly. They STILL have to get the hatch open so the crew can get oxygen. Imagine being a rescuer watching the crew through the glass as they die......
View Quote

7" plexiglass
Cordless drill, 8" bit, done.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Is that guy in the center front row Jack Nickelson!

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Loser
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Never seen The Shining?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

We need that gif back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://tritonsubs.com/wp-content/uploads/GullWing_Render_High_HQ.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

7" plexiglass
Cordless drill, 8" bit, done.
View Quote

What if the portal is below the water line?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope the rescuers have a plan to breech the hull when , if they find it on the surface.

They won't have to wait much beyond tomorrow morning to declare them dead - even if they were floating on the surface, they'd be trapped in the sub and suffocate.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://tritonsubs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/t36000-2-Surface.jpg
View Quote

looks complicated

do they have a model with like an on button and a garage door opener?

don't even really need the on button, just the garage door opener open, close up, down
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://tritonsubs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/t36000-2-Surface.jpg
View Quote

I was just looking at those.  The Challenger Deep model cost $48 million in 2018 so the Titanic version should be cheaper.  If I was a billionaire and wanted to see Titanic why not just find someone who has one and ride down with them, paying for the cost of the surface ship and everything else?  No, instead go with the carbon fiber knock off Xbox controller woke new submarine company.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top