Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not stand there with body armor and a rifle and let that shit go down.

This is not a difficult problem to solve. Dangerous, yes, but not difficult. You find the guy doing the killing and you kill him.

...which, thankfully, when someone with a goddamn spine showed up he proceeded to do precisely that.

In Parkland, unarmed JROTC cadets and an unarmed football coach put themselves between the shooter and innocent people in an attempt to save lives. They had no duty to do this. They had sworn no oath, had no body armor, no backup, and no weapons...but they figured out what the right thing to do was even without any training and did whatever they could.

Let's not pretend that this gaggle of shitheads was just insufficiently trained.

I've been involved in training for 20+ years now. Police, in the main, don't fucking train beyond department minimums. And for 20 years I've heard police from all over the place bleat and whine about how training should be provided and they should be paid to do it on department time and not lose any of their own time because reasons. Meanwhile every other profession in the goddamn country involves people investing their own time and their own money in learning or improving skills that are useful in their employment. If someone works in IT, medicine, construction, law, accountancy, or any host of other professional tracks in this country, they spend hours outside of the office learning or honing skills they use on the job. They take time away from their lives and their families to get it done because that's what it takes. Even the fucking useless HR drones do that shit on their own time and their own dime. If you are in a job that doesn't involve asking if you want fries with that, you are going to have to spend your own time and your own money improving your skills just to keep up. That's the reality of the working world.

But cops? No, somehow cops are uniquely exempt from the requirement damn near everyone else in society has to invest in their own capability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would you do?

This is not a difficult problem to solve. Dangerous, yes, but not difficult. You find the guy doing the killing and you kill him.

...which, thankfully, when someone with a goddamn spine showed up he proceeded to do precisely that.

In Parkland, unarmed JROTC cadets and an unarmed football coach put themselves between the shooter and innocent people in an attempt to save lives. They had no duty to do this. They had sworn no oath, had no body armor, no backup, and no weapons...but they figured out what the right thing to do was even without any training and did whatever they could.

Let's not pretend that this gaggle of shitheads was just insufficiently trained.

I've been involved in training for 20+ years now. Police, in the main, don't fucking train beyond department minimums. And for 20 years I've heard police from all over the place bleat and whine about how training should be provided and they should be paid to do it on department time and not lose any of their own time because reasons. Meanwhile every other profession in the goddamn country involves people investing their own time and their own money in learning or improving skills that are useful in their employment. If someone works in IT, medicine, construction, law, accountancy, or any host of other professional tracks in this country, they spend hours outside of the office learning or honing skills they use on the job. They take time away from their lives and their families to get it done because that's what it takes. Even the fucking useless HR drones do that shit on their own time and their own dime. If you are in a job that doesn't involve asking if you want fries with that, you are going to have to spend your own time and your own money improving your skills just to keep up. That's the reality of the working world.

But cops? No, somehow cops are uniquely exempt from the requirement damn near everyone else in society has to invest in their own capability.

You have to be the first person I've ever heard in my life claim that HR personnel go out and "train" on their own time and dime.

Seriously, not a single person I know who works in any of those professions engages in self-paid training assignments. Doctors with their own practices, going to a conference? Sure, I know some who do, once or twice a year (and make it an office junket as a business expense write-off). And many who don't. Construction guys going out on their weekend to another job site to go learn new techniques from a different crew? I'm sure someone, somewhere has done so sometime in the past, but you're outright delusional if you think the majority of people make it a point to go on their off time and and spend their own money training for their jobs.

I'll say it again: you're delusional if you think the majority of people in *any* profession are out spending their off time and their personal money signing up for training classes on their own. There are a few, here and there, but they are the exact same type of outliers as the BORTAC guysI. Teachers. Nurses. Truck drivers. Tile-setters. A/C repairmen. Firefighters. Bankers. Line cooks. In any of those fields, you *might* find 5% of workers who have gone out and taken a class on their own in the past year or two. Maybe.

You're not wrong that any number of departments in this country would fail just as spectacularly as Uvalde's cowards did. But that's because those departments have a toxic leadership culture full of cowards. Which means they produce a department full of toxic cowards who will fail like this. Partly that's on the voters for not holding that sort of leadership accountable...but whenever he voters do make any attempt then the shitbags wrap themselves in the flag and claim their heroes to avoid any accountability.

...just like the Uvalde cowards have done here.

The bottom line is that policing in the United States is islands of competence, professionalism, and courage under continuous assault by tidal waves of mediocrity and cowardice. But that doesn't excuse the failure of individuals who are swimming in that shit to do better, especially when it's this fucking obvious.

One of the reasons there's so much suck is because so much of it gets wrapped in the flag and excused because CoPz!!! Motherfuckers running around with TBL stickers and TBL catchphrases jerking each other off about brotherhood, heroism, and other stupid lies.

How much brotherhood is involved in holding an officer back while his wife is literally bleeding to death a few feet away? Zilch.

The first step to fixing the problem is acknowledging it.

Lack of training isn't the core problem.

Lack of character is.

A friend of mine has worked two active shooter calls in the last couple of weeks. In each case he was furthest away, but first on the scene. In each case he grabbed a shotgun and went in hard to find the problem. All by himself. He's the only one on his department that has sought out training outside of what his department provides.

His character drove him to be better. Not the other way around.

You're not wrong, but you're still missing the fundamental reason for the *why*.

The point that I made, that no one likes, is that the character you describe is vanishingly rare. The character to run into incoming rifle fire without hesitation. Where do you propose to find those people like your friend, in sufficient quantities to cover every town in the country? Agencies don't get to raise kids from birth to have good character, they get to hire the few who show up anymore and are crazy enough to put a uniform on and get in a car. Where do agencies get better people from?

No one here has yet to respond as to how they suggest you fill agencies with only the right characters. I keep saying it, and everyone just insults me, makes a TBL comment, or COCs themselves, but. Not. One. Poster. Has been able to explain how you hire sufficient numbers of officers who are Heraclitus's 1 in 100 warrior. One poster just says we should eliminate all law enforcement. I'm quite certain he won't find the resulting society afterwards any better, but at this point no one wants to confront the actual tough questions of human nature.

Real lessons?

* Average officers, confronted with a barricade and incoming gunfire, and a confusing tactical situation, tend to lose momentum and not know what to do.

* If leadership doesn't immediately appear and form a plan, everyone reverts to the lowest level of training: try to find cover and point a muzzle at a potential threat. Leadership can be anyone of any rank, who is willing and able to direct others around them, and be followed. There was at least one supervisor on scene at the beginning. He never appears to take any leadership role. This is the downside of promoting people into supervisory roles on seniority/lack of alternatives/favoritism/anything other than actual leadership talent.

* When multiple agencies arrive on scene, if an effective leader isn't there making plans, everyone loses momentum because they think the other agency has the ball. People tend to think problems are getting solved by others, and revert to waiting for those others to solve the problem.

* When minutes count, SWAT is hours away. Mindset in many places is "wait for SWAT, they'll save us!" That mindset breeds paralysis. Paralysis is death. Everyone in that hallway was told that at some point in their careers, probably hundreds of times, but it's still incredibly hard to overcome when directly experienced.

* We can't know, but I suspect strongly that if you grabbed some of the individual officers and threw them into the same situation, without backup of any kind, at least a couple of them would have moved forward on their own. The more people who show up on scene, the greater the momentum becomes to stand by and wait. I've seen it in my own experiences, from guys who literally ran right into gunfights and kicked ass, but when other situations got too big with too much brass, froze up and lost all initiative.

* The lack of rifle-rated armor, and familiarity with such, is a huge psychological hole in a situation like this. The shields in the hallway appear to be IIIA shields, which is to say, almost completely pointless to be there at all. If guys have shields they know can stop incoming rounds, they're way more willing to move into position to take those rounds. The majority of agencies do not issue shields to patrol officers (and offhand I've yet to find a single agency that issues rifle-rated shields to everyone, although ours is in the process of doing so).

* Throwing so many officers into that hallway was pointless. Had the shooter come out the doorway, the crossfire would have been disastrous, and likely taken out half the officers in the hall. It shows a complete lack of coordination on scene.

* Possession of a rifle does not make one a warrior. Everyone likes to associate the two together, but this is GD's least favorite truth: the weapon is merely a tool. The mindset to fight and die with it is something else entirely, that doesn't come bundled with any PSA Daily Deal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK, I'm not going to make a new thread. But, prepare yourself.
There is an unedited version of the video out.
In that version you can hear what is happening.
You will be able to hear the cries and screams of the children
All of the cops did nothing while that hallway was full of children screaming. And dying.

This is going to get worse when the unedited version gains traction.
View Quote

That one I might not be able to watch.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
~9:40 on the full video.  Cop on the right comes up and says 'my wife's down'?   Or something like that?  

He was RIGHT THERE in the first minutes and didn't immediately get on that door and make entry?

Maybe I misheard it, but I think this might be the guy who they wind up holding back, much later, after his wife had probably already bled out.
View Quote

IIRC, she bled out and coded in the ambulance. 77 minutes. She'd still be alive if he'd/they'd gone in immediately.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I didn't wade through 10 pages to see if this is a dupe. Full  1:22 video unedited without commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3poHE3nOb8
View Quote

Just a bunch of cowards LARPing in their costumes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just ... wow ...

I don't recall the major event after Parkland (whatever was less than 25 yrs ago) but I do recall almost taking a perma-ban for an un-tempered response so will do better this time.

The ONLY goal in this situation is to give evil a different target than helpless children.

When kids are dying, I'll take a mall cop 3min into it vs. DEVGRU who happens to be training 30min away.

There is no 'good plan' when evil does sht like this. None. So either nut up and go stand in front of it or get out of the fkin way so better men than you can do it.

What to do differently? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

Whay is the training? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What is the SOP? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What are TTPs? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What do we expect of all men? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What do we pay cops to do if necessary? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What should everyone old, young, rich, poor, straight, gay, jew, gentile expect of every other American Citizen? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children. And if you are unwilling or unable to do this then get the fk out of the way for anyone who will/can.

Anyone who reads this and doesn't understand it is neither my countryman nor welcome here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you do?

Seriously. You're now in charge of Texas DPS, or whatever Texan agency you want, circle January 2022. What do you do differently? What do you differently that would actually work? What is it in the hiring process you change? The training courses that are offered? The electoral voting of leadership of local agencies?

I've been saying all along that "cowardice" isn't the explanation. It's the answer that everyone wants to hear, because it's easy and satisfies the righteous anger, and dovetails oh so nicely with the ragebait articles, and doesn't need any further analysis or worry. There was a clump of cowards in Texas that day, and let's go imprison/execute them all, and that makes the world a safe place again. Or maybe it's just that all cops are cowards, our tax dollars are wasted, and maybe those anarchists have a point and we should just give it a whirl, no? Texas DPS Director McGraw would like you to believe it was all the fault of a single man (who isn't the shooter, I might add). Is he right?

The answers aren't simple. They aren't a matter of adding a new PowerPoint to the training doctrine. They can't be solved via legislation, or incarceration. Uvalde is just the latest in a long line of human violent conflict that shows that leadership in battle is a rare, precious resource that's impossible to mandate and incapable of artificial creation in a lab. Either it's there at the onset of the gunfight, or it's not.

Honestly the video released yesterday doesn't really show anything new or groundbreaking. The shooter had time to fire over 100 rounds in the classroom before any officers entered the building. We see nothing of the officers outside in this video, though their coordinated entry suggests they staged way too long outside...we don't get to see how, and where.

It's been said over and over again, but the majority of cops are not gunfighters. Their agencies give them a box or two of ammo a year, they aren't shooters, and they don't even know what they don't know. The endless critique of random SROs and patrol cops for not being DEVGRU utterly ignores that the average cop might get 24 hours of training..on a good year...across medical, legal, driving, firearms, ground fighting, computer systems, and equipment usage. To say nothing of the mandatory diversity, equity, and bullshit training. You can't get blood out of a stone. All of this means that when shit hits the fan, it takes some seriously commanding leadership to roll in, make a fast plan, and execute it with guys who aren't trained or equipped for a SWAT-level action. Particularly if they're spread across half a dozen different agencies.

After Parkland, I said at my old agency that we would have done no better on average if it had happened in my AO instead of Parkland. After Parkland, the average patrol guy's view in my area was still "wait for backup, don't go in solo". I went off and wargamed with my SROs how best to ram school gates with my cruiser to come into the fight; most guys didn't even think about what they'd do.

I'll just say this, the capstone of all the things no one here wants to hear: if you grabbed 100 random arfcommers, 90 of them would be the guys hanging at the bottom of the screen by the camera, weapon at the ready but unsure what to do or where to go. 8 or 9 guys would be the meds dude, directing people to the fight or making plans for the wounded. 1 or 2 of those 100 would actually be bumrushing that door and working triggers. That was true in Heraclitus's day back in good ol' 500 BC, and is still true today. Period.

Just ... wow ...

I don't recall the major event after Parkland (whatever was less than 25 yrs ago) but I do recall almost taking a perma-ban for an un-tempered response so will do better this time.

The ONLY goal in this situation is to give evil a different target than helpless children.

When kids are dying, I'll take a mall cop 3min into it vs. DEVGRU who happens to be training 30min away.

There is no 'good plan' when evil does sht like this. None. So either nut up and go stand in front of it or get out of the fkin way so better men than you can do it.

What to do differently? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

Whay is the training? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What is the SOP? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What are TTPs? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What do we expect of all men? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What do we pay cops to do if necessary? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children.

What should everyone old, young, rich, poor, straight, gay, jew, gentile expect of every other American Citizen? Give evil a different target so it stops killing helpless children. And if you are unwilling or unable to do this then get the fk out of the way for anyone who will/can.

Anyone who reads this and doesn't understand it is neither my countryman nor welcome here.

Everything you say is from the heart. And well and fine and true. And yet none of it makes a damn bit of difference in answering one simple question:

How do you prevent the next Uvalde?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
@texashomeserver

Are you reading your own thread?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But does an active shooter class really prepare police officers to link up with other patrol officers and do a room entry against an armed suspect? Particularly a day or weekend class awhile ago?

I don't think that's the problem, there was some morale or psychological problem or something. I'm probably using the wrong terms but this was more than "those guys are chicken" it was a problem of unit cohesion and morale. Once a recognized leader showed up and lead the charge most of the "stalled" police seemed willing to join in the attack.
View Quote
No one wants to be #1 through the door.  They all want to be the 40th guy though.  Tons of "hold back" guys in that group.  In fact maybe all but one or two.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was discussion of using CS. According to the ALERRT report:

At 12:10:17, officers in the west hallway begin passing out and donning gas masks.(ISS)

At 12:14:10, CS gas cannisters and launcher deliverable varieties are brought in. (ISS)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
54:17 I just noticed one of the fucking idiots is wearing a damn gas mask...... lower left corner.
There was discussion of using CS. According to the ALERRT report:

At 12:10:17, officers in the west hallway begin passing out and donning gas masks.(ISS)

At 12:14:10, CS gas cannisters and launcher deliverable varieties are brought in. (ISS)

.. and then they stood down for another 35 minutes, INCLUDING after MORE shots were heard at 12:21
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Everything you say is from the heart. And well and fine and true. And yet none of it makes a damn bit of difference in answering one simple question:

View Quote

Publicly punish the cowards who displayed depraved indifference and allowed people to die by stopping those who wanted to actually stop the shooter.

I'm also okay with perpetually shaming people that defend their cowardly behavior.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You have to be the first person I've ever heard in my life claim that HR personnel go out and "train" on their own time and dime.

Seriously, not a single person I know who works in any of those professions engages in self-paid training assignments. Doctors with their own practices, going to a conference? Sure, I know some who do, once or twice a year (and make it an office junket as a business expense write-off). And many who don't. Construction guys going out on their weekend to another job site to go learn new techniques from a different crew? I'm sure someone, somewhere has done so sometime in the past, but you're outright delusional if you think the majority of people make it a point to go on their off time and and spend their own money training for their jobs.

I'll say it again: you're delusional if you think the majority of people in *any* profession are out spending their off time and their personal money signing up for training classes on their own. There are a few, here and there, but they are the exact same type of outliers as the BORTAC guysI. Teachers. Nurses. Truck drivers. Tile-setters. A/C repairmen. Firefighters. Bankers. Line cooks. In any of those fields, you *might* find 5% of workers who have gone out and taken a class on their own in the past year or two. Maybe.

You're not wrong, but you're still missing the fundamental reason for the *why*.

The point that I made, that no one likes, is that the character you describe is vanishingly rare. The character to run into incoming rifle fire without hesitation. Where do you propose to find those people like your friend, in sufficient quantities to cover every town in the country? Agencies don't get to raise kids from birth to have good character, they get to hire the few who show up anymore and are crazy enough to put a uniform on and get in a car. Where do agencies get better people from?

No one here has yet to respond as to how they suggest you fill agencies with only the right characters. I keep saying it, and everyone just insults me, makes a TBL comment, or COCs themselves, but. Not. One. Poster. Has been able to explain how you hire sufficient numbers of officers who are Heraclitus's 1 in 100 warrior. One poster just says we should eliminate all law enforcement. I'm quite certain he won't find the resulting society afterwards any better, but at this point no one wants to confront the actual tough questions of human nature.

Real lessons?

* Average officers, confronted with a barricade and incoming gunfire, and a confusing tactical situation, tend to lose momentum and not know what to do.

* If leadership doesn't immediately appear and form a plan, everyone reverts to the lowest level of training: try to find cover and point a muzzle at a potential threat. Leadership can be anyone of any rank, who is willing and able to direct others around them, and be followed. There was at least one supervisor on scene at the beginning. He never appears to take any leadership role. This is the downside of promoting people into supervisory roles on seniority/lack of alternatives/favoritism/anything other than actual leadership talent.

* When multiple agencies arrive on scene, if an effective leader isn't there making plans, everyone loses momentum because they think the other agency has the ball. People tend to think problems are getting solved by others, and revert to waiting for those others to solve the problem.

* When minutes count, SWAT is hours away. Mindset in many places is "wait for SWAT, they'll save us!" That mindset breeds paralysis. Paralysis is death. Everyone in that hallway was told that at some point in their careers, probably hundreds of times, but it's still incredibly hard to overcome when directly experienced.

* We can't know, but I suspect strongly that if you grabbed some of the individual officers and threw them into the same situation, without backup of any kind, at least a couple of them would have moved forward on their own. The more people who show up on scene, the greater the momentum becomes to stand by and wait. I've seen it in my own experiences, from guys who literally ran right into gunfights and kicked ass, but when other situations got too big with too much brass, froze up and lost all initiative.

* The lack of rifle-rated armor, and familiarity with such, is a huge psychological hole in a situation like this. The shields in the hallway appear to be IIIA shields, which is to say, almost completely pointless to be there at all. If guys have shields they know can stop incoming rounds, they're way more willing to move into position to take those rounds. The majority of agencies do not issue shields to patrol officers (and offhand I've yet to find a single agency that issues rifle-rated shields to everyone, although ours is in the process of doing so).

* Throwing so many officers into that hallway was pointless. Had the shooter come out the doorway, the crossfire would have been disastrous, and likely taken out half the officers in the hall. It shows a complete lack of coordination on scene.

* Possession of a rifle does not make one a warrior. Everyone likes to associate the two together, but this is GD's least favorite truth: the weapon is merely a tool. The mindset to fight and die with it is something else entirely, that doesn't come bundled with any PSA Daily Deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would you do?

You're not wrong that any number of departments in this country would fail just as spectacularly as Uvalde's cowards did. But that's because those departments have a toxic leadership culture full of cowards. Which means they produce a department full of toxic cowards who will fail like this. Partly that's on the voters for not holding that sort of leadership accountable...but whenever he voters do make any attempt then the shitbags wrap themselves in the flag and claim their heroes to avoid any accountability.

...just like the Uvalde cowards have done here.

The bottom line is that policing in the United States is islands of competence, professionalism, and courage under continuous assault by tidal waves of mediocrity and cowardice. But that doesn't excuse the failure of individuals who are swimming in that shit to do better, especially when it's this fucking obvious.

One of the reasons there's so much suck is because so much of it gets wrapped in the flag and excused because CoPz!!! Motherfuckers running around with TBL stickers and TBL catchphrases jerking each other off about brotherhood, heroism, and other stupid lies.

How much brotherhood is involved in holding an officer back while his wife is literally bleeding to death a few feet away? Zilch.

The first step to fixing the problem is acknowledging it.

Lack of training isn't the core problem.

Lack of character is.

A friend of mine has worked two active shooter calls in the last couple of weeks. In each case he was furthest away, but first on the scene. In each case he grabbed a shotgun and went in hard to find the problem. All by himself. He's the only one on his department that has sought out training outside of what his department provides.

His character drove him to be better. Not the other way around.

Real lessons?

All of your asterisk assertions are spot on.  Absolutely nailed it.

The preamble on training in other professions not so much.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I've hesitated to post lest I lose my shit and my acct.

Do we have any members in the Uvalde area? Does anyone know the true 'climate' on the ground? Are those cops back out on patrol?

A man who has lost his kids or wife has not much more to lose and becomes a very dangerous man. Would not surprise me to see an ambush or two.

Imagine living next door to one of those cowards.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
That video defies belief.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've hesitated to post lest I lose my shit and my acct.

Do we have any members in the Uvalde area? Does anyone know the true 'climate' on the ground? Are those cops back out on patrol?

A man who has lost his kids or wife has not much more to lose and becomes a very dangerous man. Would not surprise me to see an ambush or two.

Imagine living next door to one of those cowards.
View Quote

I’ve not paid attention to the stories posted. Last I seen of them was they were harassing the petite mother that broke free from them and went and saved her kids.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, I'm not going to make a new thread. But, prepare yourself.
There is an unedited version of the video out.
In that version you can hear what is happening.
You will be able to hear the cries and screams of the children
All of the cops did nothing while that hallway was full of children screaming. And dying.

This is going to get worse when the unedited version gains traction.
View Quote
There is no way in hell I can listen to that here and now so if I heard it in real time I would either be dead by cop, dead by shooter or shooter would be dead. I honestly don't care who believes me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Instead they chose to allow children to take those rounds.  Bunch of damn heroes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Publicly punish the cowards who displayed depraved indifference and allowed people to die by stopping those who wanted to actually stop the shooter.

I'm also okay with perpetually shaming people that defend their cowardly behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We also need to start involuntarily committing fucked up kids and teens and young adults who do this kind of shit.  This fucker, the Parkland shooter, and the 4th of July parade shooter were ALL known fuckups.  Severely unstable.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
One dude checks his phone, another dude takes time to use hand sanitizer....WTF?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Real lessons?

View Quote

And you're still here making excuses for cowardice. Fucking amazing. Like I said before,  you're either deluded or a straight up troll. FUCK those cowards who ran the wrong way and/or stood around while innocent children died. Like I told my wife when this first happened and we started getting rumors of what had happened, there are far worse things than death. People are wondering why none of these "heroes" have gone home and eaten a pistol. That's easy. NONE of them have any honor, and never did.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But does an active shooter class really prepare police officers to link up with other patrol officers and do a room entry against an armed suspect? Particularly a day or weekend class awhile ago?

I don't think that's the problem, there was some morale or psychological problem or something. I'm probably using the wrong terms but this was more than "those guys are chicken" it was a problem of unit cohesion and morale. Once a recognized leader showed up and lead the charge most of the "stalled" police seemed willing to join in the attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isnt a need for non-agency training to know the standard for responding to an active shooter is for the officers on scene to engage the suspect.  The lack of action on part of the on scene officers is what has left most of us in the LE community dumbfounded as more of the actual facts about the incident have come out

There is no link up in the first on scene training I’ve taken, it’s go get him now with sirens blaring on the way. Best case he kills himself before you get there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"To serve and protect my own ass".
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We also need to start involuntarily committing fucked up kids and teens and young adults who do this kind of shit.  This fucker, the Parkland shooter, and the 4th of July parade shooter were ALL known fuckups.  Severely unstable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several lines of failure which need to be addressed:
- The complete failure by law enforcement in their execution which breached standards, leading to death
- The complete failure by the school to execute lockdown procedures which resulted in death
- Our mental health system is broken at its core
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

WHO THE FUCK IS THIS MOTHER FUCKER EMT HOLDING THE COPS BACK?? HE DID THAT HOW MANY TIMES??? WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trucker hat BORTAC guy arrives at 12:47:02 on the counter. Luckily he slips in behind stethoscope hall-monitor guy when his back was turned, and is able to work his way up to the front. He spends about 2 min talking to other Boarder Patrol guys and getting situated with what's going on. At 12:49:20 he decides it's Fo-Time and makes his move to the door. They make entry at 12:50:01

Noticed that slip move

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563217/Screenshot_20220712-195853_YouTube_jpg-2450670.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563217/Screenshot_20220712-202346_YouTube_jpg-2450678.JPG

WHO THE FUCK IS THIS MOTHER FUCKER EMT HOLDING THE COPS BACK?? HE DID THAT HOW MANY TIMES??? WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY???

He was not holding the guy back. Watch the video at that point. The EMT helps him take the backpack off, before continuing down the hall.

First image you see the EMT holding the backpack as the guy takes it off, and the second image the EMT is holding the backpack and the guy is proceeding down the hall.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Problem is there was no way in. And if you think the cops wouldn’t have shot a parent dead that brandished a CCW and tried to gain entry you’re out of your mind.  I agree with your sentiments but wouldn’t have made any difference in this situation. I would put money that one of those hero cops would have shot a parent with a firearm.  What I am very surprised of with it being Texas and all is that none of the dads in the parking lot didn’t 1) have a gun on them or their vehicle and 2) didn’t attempt to enter if they did. I am ALWAYS armed with a handgun and have a dedicated “truck gun “ that is ready. If it were my kids school I would have died trying.
View Quote

The closer one gets to the border, the less regular folks are carrying it seems. Most gun control bills come from these border counties. Uvalde is very close to the border.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Any professional will get left behind if they dont keep their skills relevant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A professional in the private sector will be left behind if they don't keep their skills relevant.

Unless they’re in a union.

How many police departments are unionized?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aimless sees the light!

I've been getting shit on and ignored endlessly in these threads for suggesting there *might* be a lesson here other than "19 random cowards showed up all in one place and failed". Because you're literally describing exactly what I've been pointing out: tactical leadership, and the lack thereof.

What GD really doesn't want to think about is that leadership is vanishingly rare in almost all walks of life. How many major companies are run by raving morons? How many flag officers *aren't* self-serving ass-kissing politicos? How many people drive by a car crash and don't stop?

The majority of people aren't leaders, they're followers. That's true in the military, in law enforcement, in a large company or on a small jobsite. It's true in GD as well, because GD is made up of an assortment of humans, with a self-selected bias towards interest in gun ownership. That's a truth that the average person here doesn't want to hear or confront. It's preferable to imagine superiority, to scoff at anyone who would suggest that they might fall into the same trap. "Those cops had all that equipment and training and failed", they say, "I don't have any of that and I know I would have done better! They must *all* have been cowards and suck!" Anyone who suggests otherwise is challenging that deeply-held self-image of reliance and strength...and thus the pushback.

Now, where do we go to get tactical leaders?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At least the one officer got his hands sanitized at 57 minutes into it.
View Quote

I saw that also, WTF, he's worried about germs while kids are being murdered down the hallway. They need to clean house, from the heads of the school, to all local authorities and politicians. I'm so glad the democraps are dumping billions into clean energies, and giving billions to Ukraine, invest the money into armed security for schools, hell, my rough high school had at least three cops patrolling inside, this was forty years ago, and times haven't gotten better.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

You have people in countless professions that think that learning opportunities to be better in their profession should be come with compensation by their employers and/or be provided by their employer. Most people are content to remain mediocre and not look for ways to improve themselves.....that is simply society as a whole.  To single out police as some anomaly when it comes to wanting to be paid or have the learning opportunity provided by their employer is BS.     Yes; cops should be seeking out training on their own, but that applies to literally everyone that wants to perform better at a given task.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Meanwhile every other profession in the goddamn country involves people investing their own time and their own money in learning or improving skills that are useful in their employment. If someone works in IT, medicine, construction, law, accountancy, or any host of other professional tracks in this country, they spend hours outside of the office learning or honing skills they use on the job. They take time away from their lives and their families to get it done because that's what it takes. Even the fucking useless HR drones do that shit on their own time and their own dime. If you are in a job that doesn't involve asking if you want fries with that, you are going to have to spend your own time and your own money improving your skills just to keep up. That's the reality of the working world.

You have people in countless professions that think that learning opportunities to be better in their profession should be come with compensation by their employers and/or be provided by their employer. Most people are content to remain mediocre and not look for ways to improve themselves.....that is simply society as a whole.  To single out police as some anomaly when it comes to wanting to be paid or have the learning opportunity provided by their employer is BS.     Yes; cops should be seeking out training on their own, but that applies to literally everyone that wants to perform better at a given task.

@NCPatrolAR

Wondering about what you mentioned;

In many professions, there are incentives for accruing added skills, eg. one of my buddies in the field involving Computers, Software etc., each time he got certified for additional stuff like Cisco, network administration etc., he got a bump in pay and it opened up more avenues for advancement or more lucrative job offers.

Do any DPSs offer ANY kind of incentives for supplemental/additional training like that? I know someone mentioned a department that initially had a bonus for folks passing a physical standards eval/qual, until some fat fucks sued the department because it was 'unfair'.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Trucker hat BORTAC guy arrives at 12:47:02 on the counter. Luckily he slips in behind stethoscope hall-monitor guy when his back was turned, and is able to work his way up to the front. He spends about 2 min talking to other Border Patrol guys and getting situated with what's going on. At 12:49:20 he decides it's Fo-Time and makes his move to the door. They make entry at 12:50:01
View Quote

Good eye. Yeah, he slipped past stethoscope hall monitor guy, and went up the front of the line at like 12:47....came back for a minute or two.....then at 12:50 ran up to a couple of guys kneeling in the hallway, then got into position. I can't make out them making entry but you can hear the fire. God bless BorTac trucker hat plaid shirt jeans guy. God bless him. I wish he'd been there at 11:33.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What would you do?

Seriously. You're now in charge of Texas DPS, or whatever Texan agency you want, circle January 2022. What do you do differently? What do you differently that would actually work? What is it in the hiring process you change? The training courses that are offered? The electoral voting of leadership of local agencies?

I've been saying all along that "cowardice" isn't the explanation. It's the answer that everyone wants to hear, because it's easy and satisfies the righteous anger, and dovetails oh so nicely with the ragebait articles, and doesn't need any further analysis or worry. There was a clump of cowards in Texas that day, and let's go imprison/execute them all, and that makes the world a safe place again. Or maybe it's just that all cops are cowards, our tax dollars are wasted, and maybe those anarchists have a point and we should just give it a whirl, no? Texas DPS Director McGraw would like you to believe it was all the fault of a single man (who isn't the shooter, I might add). Is he right?

The answers aren't simple. They aren't a matter of adding a new PowerPoint to the training doctrine. They can't be solved via legislation, or incarceration. Uvalde is just the latest in a long line of human violent conflict that shows that leadership in battle is a rare, precious resource that's impossible to mandate and incapable of artificial creation in a lab. Either it's there at the onset of the gunfight, or it's not.

Honestly the video released yesterday doesn't really show anything new or groundbreaking. The shooter had time to fire over 100 rounds in the classroom before any officers entered the building. We see nothing of the officers outside in this video, though their coordinated entry suggests they staged way too long outside...we don't get to see how, and where.

It's been said over and over again, but the majority of cops are not gunfighters. Their agencies give them a box or two of ammo a year, they aren't shooters, and they don't even know what they don't know. The endless critique of random SROs and patrol cops for not being DEVGRU utterly ignores that the average cop might get 24 hours of training..on a good year...across medical, legal, driving, firearms, ground fighting, computer systems, and equipment usage. To say nothing of the mandatory diversity, equity, and bullshit training. You can't get blood out of a stone. All of this means that when shit hits the fan, it takes some seriously commanding leadership to roll in, make a fast plan, and execute it with guys who aren't trained or equipped for a SWAT-level action. Particularly if they're spread across half a dozen different agencies.

After Parkland, I said at my old agency that we would have done no better on average if it had happened in my AO instead of Parkland. After Parkland, the average patrol guy's view in my area was still "wait for backup, don't go in solo". I went off and wargamed with my SROs how best to ram school gates with my cruiser to come into the fight; most guys didn't even think about what they'd do.

I'll just say this, the capstone of all the things no one here wants to hear: if you grabbed 100 random arfcommers, 90 of them would be the guys hanging at the bottom of the screen by the camera, weapon at the ready but unsure what to do or where to go. 8 or 9 guys would be the meds dude, directing people to the fight or making plans for the wounded. 1 or 2 of those 100 would actually be bumrushing that door and working triggers. That was true in Heraclitus's day back in good ol' 500 BC, and is still true today. Period.
View Quote

Well, seems like of the 3 choices usually available (Lead, Follow, or Get The Fuck Out Of The Way), these LEOs actually chose to interfere with anyone trying to take direct action (see earlier outdoor videos and reports of preventing parents and community members from acting).  So not being qualified to lead or follow, they can't even get the fuck out of the way so somebody else can solve the problem for them.

I have no respect for anyone present at that clusterfuck, nor for anyone who even hints at defending them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you do?

Just ... wow ...

Define "prevention"

Are you talking about a gunman going into a school?  
Because there were policy failures that might have prevented the gunman from getting into the school. There were policy failures that may have also prevented the gunman from making entry into the rooms as well, even if he was in the school.

or

Finding and intervining before these types of people can carry out these acts? Because there are failures in that area as well, which The_Beer_Slayer has talked about.

or

A bunch of LEO failing to follow the basics of AS protocol? There were a raft of failures there as well.

Be specific.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At last, an actual response that addresses the salient point!

Let's say we do it. How extreme does it need to be? Are we talking motivation by fear, or by shame? If fear, nothing less than public execution could be considered, I'd say. So let's hang every LEO there high, and let them rot for a week.

What occurs next?

The entire profession, nationwide, is already teetering on the edge of collapse. Realistically almost every city with a population of 6 digits or more has been running on emergency staffing for months or years by now. How many more will quit? How many will decline to apply to replace the quit officers? Any machine has a limit to how far it can redline before it falls apart, and what you're suggesting has a very good chance of causing exactly that across large portions of the country. The resulting death toll is guaranteed to be far higher than any school shooting in history. Is it still worth doing?

And the better question yet might be, how well do you expect that threat to really work? The Soviets had to place armed commissars behind the front lines to herd them forward at gunpoint, despite an overwhelming awareness amongst the Red Army that any failure at all would result in execution. I would submit to you that no threat of capital punishment at a distant time in the future is going to outweigh the immediacy of incoming gunfire, particularly in a voluntary profession.

While I thank you for addressing my point, I fail to see how it presents a viable solution for anything going forward. And as far as I'm concerned, everyone here who is blindly rageposting and not providing coherent arguments is fully worthy of being ignored or scorned, because it's precisely that unwillingness to confront hard truths that allows Uvaldes and Parklands to happen.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ. After ALL of the evidence of flat out cowardice and dereliction of duty from these sorry assed excuses for cops you still want to make excuses for them. You've previously said that we didn't know what happened, we've never chased suspects, we've never blah blah blah. Well fuck straight off with your thin blue line bullshit. There were about 50 flat out incompetent cowards and a few MEN in that hallway. Too bad that the MEN didn't get there sooner. It turns out that damn near all of the information that the cops put out was a lie and  you're STILL shilling for them. You're either deluded or a troll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you do?

Jesus Christ. After ALL of the evidence of flat out cowardice and dereliction of duty from these sorry assed excuses for cops you still want to make excuses for them. You've previously said that we didn't know what happened, we've never chased suspects, we've never blah blah blah. Well fuck straight off with your thin blue line bullshit. There were about 50 flat out incompetent cowards and a few MEN in that hallway. Too bad that the MEN didn't get there sooner. It turns out that damn near all of the information that the cops put out was a lie and  you're STILL shilling for them. You're either deluded or a troll.

Well said.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Aimless sees the light!

I've been getting shit on and ignored endlessly in these threads for suggesting there *might* be a lesson here other than "19 random cowards showed up all in one place and failed". Because you're literally describing exactly what I've been pointing out: tactical leadership, and the lack thereof.

What GD really doesn't want to think about is that leadership is vanishingly rare in almost all walks of life. How many major companies are run by raving morons? How many flag officers *aren't* self-serving ass-kissing politicos? How many people drive by a car crash and don't stop?

The majority of people aren't leaders, they're followers. That's true in the military, in law enforcement, in a large company or on a small jobsite. It's true in GD as well, because GD is made up of an assortment of humans, with a self-selected bias towards interest in gun ownership. That's a truth that the average person here doesn't want to hear or confront. It's preferable to imagine superiority, to scoff at anyone who would suggest that they might fall into the same trap. "Those cops had all that equipment and training and failed", they say, "I don't have any of that and I know I would have done better! They must *all* have been cowards and suck!" Anyone who suggests otherwise is challenging that deeply-held self-image of reliance and strength...and thus the pushback.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aimless sees the light!

You don't need a tactical fucking leader to do something, anything when children are dying.   I'd prefer they are trained, but I'll take who I can get to be the hard ass or the bullet sponge to stop the killing of children.  

At some point you ask yourself can I live with continued gunfire on children.  If you don't ask, or you can live with it then you are one fucked up individual I want nothing to do with on any level.

A tactical leader woulda been nice, short of that a janitor with a mop could possibly make do.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's fairly simple.

Funding

If a city primary school has 553 kids in it and each one is represented by one bar in a stack like this:

How secure would would the city make the stack?

Or think of it this way: make schools as secure as airports.

Bad guys want to kill innocent kids and teachers?

Kill them first.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@NCPatrolAR

In many professions, there are incentives for accruing added skills, eg. one of my buddies in the field involving Computers, Software etc., each time he got certified for additional stuff like Cisco, network administration etc., he got a bump in pay and it opened up more avenues for advancement or more lucrative job offers.

Do any DPSs offer ANY kind of incentives for supplemental/additional training like that? I know someone mentioned a department that initially had a bonus for folks passing a physical standards eval/qual, until some fat fucks sued the department because it was 'unfair'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meanwhile every other profession in the goddamn country involves people investing their own time and their own money in learning or improving skills that are useful in their employment. If someone works in IT, medicine, construction, law, accountancy, or any host of other professional tracks in this country, they spend hours outside of the office learning or honing skills they use on the job. They take time away from their lives and their families to get it done because that's what it takes. Even the fucking useless HR drones do that shit on their own time and their own dime. If you are in a job that doesn't involve asking if you want fries with that, you are going to have to spend your own time and your own money improving your skills just to keep up. That's the reality of the working world.

@NCPatrolAR

I've never once heard of any agency offering incentive pay for tactical training. Bonus pay if you have a college degree coming in is fairly common. Bonus pay if you speak other languages, sure. But neither are ever worth enough to make it worthwhile to do on your own purely for financial gain. IIRC, a bachelor's degree earned me about an extra $1k/year.

My prior agency offered a program where you could go take a physical fitness test every 4 months, and earn 25 hours of PTO for it. Less than 10% of the agency took it up. Why? Most everyone could pass it. But what's the point of getting PTO time when the agency is so short staffed you're not allowed vacations?

If I go out and take a week long breachers course, and then a week long tactical medicine course, and then a week long active shooter course...I'd be out about six months of disposable income/savings for a house. And get precisely $0 from my agency for doing so. Time, money, and tools are all limited, and that means triage is as unavoidable and relentless as gravity.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A professional in the private sector will be left behind if they don't keep their skills relevant.

Or they are government employees
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Aimless sees the light!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aimless sees the light!

The unarmed mother that ran into the school.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He's the one that got grazed on the head, right? Maybe he came through the door on the opposite end of that hallway?
View Quote

Yeah, if you keep your eyes right at the top of the screen you can see the feet of another group of cops at the other end of the hallway. That is apparently where the BORTAC guy was. That group ultimately entered the room and took him out, and only then did the group under the CCTV camera move in. The group down the hall first appears just before the 10 minute mark though, so they waited almost as long as the group under the camera.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@texashomeserver

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's fairly simple.

Funding

If a city primary school has 553 kids in it and each one is represented by one bar in a stack like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/gold_bar1-2451353.jpg

How secure would would the city make the stack?

Or think of it this way: make schools as secure as airports.

Bad guys want to kill innocent kids and teachers?

Kill them first.

View Quote
I don't think I am exaggerating in saying that out government views children's worth as much less than gold...or even the means of storing gold.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've never once heard of any agency offering incentive pay for tactical training. Bonus pay if you have a college degree coming in is fairly common. Bonus pay if you speak other languages, sure. But neither are ever worth enough to make it worthwhile to do on your own purely for financial gain. IIRC, a bachelor's degree earned me about an extra $1k/year.

My prior agency offered a program where you could go take a physical fitness test every 4 months, and earn 25 hours of PTO for it. Less than 10% of the agency took it up. Why? Most everyone could pass it. But what's the point of getting PTO time when the agency is so short staffed you're not allowed vacations?

If I go out and take a week long breachers course, and then a week long tactical medicine course, and then a week long active shooter course...I'd be out about six months of disposable income/savings for a house. And get precisely $0 from my agency for doing so. Time, money, and tools are all limited, and that means triage is as unavoidable and relentless as gravity.
View Quote
Then get a better job or decide how much your job means to you.  But the classes you list arent necessarily relevant.  Some more than others.  

You are more worried about fucking pay.  And I get it to a degree.  But you can manage these things spread out over time. Or find other options.

I don't know what to tell you.  But if you are a cop you fucking get paid to stop bad guys from killing kids.  I don't give a fuck what the Supreme Court ruled in this case or that one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Aimless sees the light!

View Quote

You're getting shit on because you've done nothing but defend these cowards and make excuses for them in every thread.

In the first couple days, I could understand the excuses and desire for there to be some reason 19 cops stacked up in a hallway for an hour while kids died.  I'm not a cop and even I thought it looked horrible but surely there had to be more to the story.  I really didn't want to believe that 19 cops would stack up in a hallway and listen to kids scream for an hour.

- "You can't just breach a door like that".....the door wasn't even locked
- "They didn't have long guns".....turns out they did
- "They needed shields".....they had them
- "Their shields weren't rifle rated".....don't fucking care
- "They might not have known where the bad guy was".....yes they did
- "The shooting was probably over".....no it wasn't and you could hear kids screaming

Now you've transitioned to it's not the 19 cops fault, they had shitty leadership or lacked tactical leadership....etc...etc...etc.

If the cops in the hallway put as much effort into killing the bad guy as they did handcuffing parents outside, this would have been over pretty quick.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're getting shit on because you've done nothing but defend these cowards and make excuses for them in every thread.

In the first couple days, I could understand the excuses and desire for there to be some reason 19 cops stacked up in a hallway for an hour while kids died.  I'm not a cop and even I thought it looked horrible but surely there had to be more to the story.  I really didn't want to believe that 19 cops would stack up in a hallway and listen to kids scream for an hour.

- "You can't just breach a door like that".....the door wasn't even locked
- "They didn't have long guns".....turns out they did
- "They needed shields".....they had them
- "Their shields weren't rifle rated".....don't fucking care
- "They might not have known where the bad guy was".....yes they did
- "The shooting was probably over".....no it wasn't and you could hear kids screaming

Now you've transitioned to it's not the 19 cops fault, they had shitty leadership or lacked tactical leadership....etc...etc...etc.

If the cops in the hallway put as much effort into killing the bad guy as they did handcuffing parents outside, this would have been over pretty quick.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Define "prevention"

Are you talking about a gunman going into a school?  
Because there were policy failures that might have prevented the gunman from getting into the school. There were policy failures that may have also prevented the gunman from making entry into the rooms as well, even if he was in the school.

or

Finding and intervining before these types of people can carry out these acts? Because there are failures in that area as well, which The_Beer_Slayer has talked about.

or

A bunch of LEO failing to follow the basics of AS protocol? There were a raft of failures there as well.

Be specific.

View Quote

By prevent I'm speaking solely to the realm of LE. Good luck trying to get schools to change their policies, and bless your heart if you think they can all be hardened sufficiently to stop a random kid with a gun. The blunt truth is that the school was a soft target, and even a minute or two inside of a soft target is sufficient to kill double digits.

As for the mental health side, I took a guy into custody last weekend who was quite likely going to go active shooter, and told me he had loaded up his AK to get ready. The news will never know how often that happens...but it only takes one failure, one time, for Uvalde to occur. And in some cases there are no warning signs at all.

No, I'm speaking specifically to the question I posed earlier: if you could go back in time as head of whatever level of LE you want, and try to get a better different set of cops in that door that day, or get that same set of cops to go in and do it right, what actions do you take? I'm literally trying to write lesson plans for our firearms program, and want to know [i[how do you get people to do it right?[/i]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Bottom line buck the fuck up or go sit on the curb. Men are needed to do men jobs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd put that on the "bad idea" list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Instead of running away, maybe a mag dump through the classroom door would've stopped that asshole.

I'd put that on the "bad idea" list

Yeah, right along with the "blindly crash a vehicle through the exterior wall"
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

BORTAC Agent arrived to a scene that was chaotic and mired in inaction.  He quickly realized this was an active shooter and " We have to go in there".

The info I have is that he linked up with another BORTAC Agent and asked if anyone else would go with them. He got two more officers/agents from a non USBP law enforcement agency and made the entry. You can see in the video, that they immediately took fire at the threshold, and the 2 other agency guys bail out of the room, leaving two BORTAC Agents to do the work. Incredible work, and my utmost respect for them.

Also, the classroom door was unlocked the whole time, no key was needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trucker hat BORTAC guy arrives at 12:47:02 on the counter. Luckily he slips in behind stethoscope hall-monitor guy when his back was turned, and is able to work his way up to the front. He spends about 2 min talking to other Border Patrol guys and getting situated with what's going on. At 12:49:20 he decides it's Fo-Time and makes his move to the door. They make entry at 12:50:01

BORTAC Agent arrived to a scene that was chaotic and mired in inaction.  He quickly realized this was an active shooter and " We have to go in there".

The info I have is that he linked up with another BORTAC Agent and asked if anyone else would go with them. He got two more officers/agents from a non USBP law enforcement agency and made the entry. You can see in the video, that they immediately took fire at the threshold, and the 2 other agency guys bail out of the room, leaving two BORTAC Agents to do the work. Incredible work, and my utmost respect for them.

Also, the classroom door was unlocked the whole time, no key was needed.

Yeah within THREE minutes of coming into that hallway where nothing was happening he got two helpers and went in. Were the guys in all green, head to toe - is that DPS? Sherrif? Or were they BorTac too?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@texashomeserver

Yep.
You going to post a link in your other thread?
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top