User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 423
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. . .
As BlackFox said - there's few specificities of a strategic or tactical nature that can, or should, be discussed openly.  Those with the background, experience and knowledge to come up with the plans, I'm sure are doing so.  That's far above my pay grade. As we get closer, I just hope somebody lets me know how I can help.
. . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that we can't really discuss anything practical in this public place, but we must keep communicating here in order for people not to lose attention.  We can't talk about strategies, continencies or anything else of consequence, which leaves everyone chattering about meaningless things.  I don't really see a way to change that until we get much closer to Lobby Day and we get a bit more focused.
. . .
As BlackFox said - there's few specificities of a strategic or tactical nature that can, or should, be discussed openly.  Those with the background, experience and knowledge to come up with the plans, I'm sure are doing so.  That's far above my pay grade. As we get closer, I just hope somebody lets me know how I can help.
. . .
As far as discussing practical stuff we have the same problem that any revolutionary cadre has had through time - the problem of secure comms.  In 2019 we have the *technology* to have secure communications but we don't have the face to face relationships to vet the folks that we allow in.  Because most folks here don't know each other face to face it's difficult to keep out the agent provocateurs and outright Fed/Antifa/Statist/Leftist spies.

The way this is done on the Left is pretty simple - maybe we should follow it?  It's been proven to work repeatedly over time.

The concept is called "Trust Rings" - it's a variation of the Cell system.

1.  A group of known and effective leaders who know each other personally form a group where there is pretty much absolute trust.  This is the *inner ring*.  These people must be acknowledged leaders in the movement.  They seek out and gather other acknowledged and universally trusted leaders.

2.  That group starts to slowly vet people that it knows and begins to build an *outer ring* of leadership.  These are folks with less history or trust.  These people will be the leaders of the local cell groups.

3.  The outer ring members each create their own small group (or cell) that they keep in touch with their inner group sponsor via their personal comms.

4.  Once any group hits 10-15 members it splits to limit information spread.  This means that a new cell leader is elected by local cell members and approved by inner ring members.  Cells can then spawn new sub-cells.

5.  As outer ring groups grow their membership is monitored via people assigned from the inner group who troll the outer groups for folks to add to the inner ring or to create new cells.

6.  Ideas and orders are passed down to the outer ring cells from the inner ring.  Information spread is limited to prevent compromise.  If an outer ring is believed to be compromised the entire group is cut off and all comms cease.  Ideas and thoughts from the outer ring groups is passed through their leader up to the inner ring.

7.  The only people that are aware of the full org *structure* are the inner ring members.  But even they do not keep cell rosters - the only people who know the full membership of a cell are the folks within it.  They have no idea of the membership of any other cell.

I know this sounds extremely paranoid . . . but this is how loosely coupled orgs maintain opsec. It's been proven through history repeatedly.

As a Virginian I'm saddened that it's come to this - but in order to keep our rights we're going to have to steal some of the techniques and approaches of the Left.  They have FAR more experience and success with this than we on the Right do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This.

To add, for me in particular at least, this is a place to kind of vent some of the frustrations amongst others in the same boat.  The virtual tavern of sorts.  This is all new to me, as I'm sure it is for others, so if what I say seems to be distracting or subversive, my apologies.

The banter is important, as is hashing out ideas whether harebrained or logical - it keeps up interest, engagement and momentum.  It also allows people to have a sounding board,  no matter how nutty the idea may be, or, just to let off a little steam.  For me anyways, this whole thing has been very polarizing, and I can't really get my head around just why it has got me doing the things I now find myself engaged in.

Until then, I'll keep talking to folks, raise awareness, trying to get people pointed in the right direction to help any way they can to help.  And, of course, running my yap here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is quite interesting to see this thread move in the subtle direction it has. Almost like it has by design. Distractions seem to be abound.
The problem is that we can't really discuss anything practical in this public place, but we must keep communicating here in order for people not to lose attention.  We can't talk about strategies, continencies or anything else of consequence, which leaves everyone chattering about meaningless things.  I don't really see a way to change that until we get much closer to Lobby Day and we get a bit more focused.
This.

To add, for me in particular at least, this is a place to kind of vent some of the frustrations amongst others in the same boat.  The virtual tavern of sorts.  This is all new to me, as I'm sure it is for others, so if what I say seems to be distracting or subversive, my apologies.

The banter is important, as is hashing out ideas whether harebrained or logical - it keeps up interest, engagement and momentum.  It also allows people to have a sounding board,  no matter how nutty the idea may be, or, just to let off a little steam.  For me anyways, this whole thing has been very polarizing, and I can't really get my head around just why it has got me doing the things I now find myself engaged in.

Until then, I'll keep talking to folks, raise awareness, trying to get people pointed in the right direction to help any way they can to help.  And, of course, running my yap here.
Yep. Venting is helpful (as long as it doesn't get the thread shut down over CoC reasons), keeping the discussion/engagement going is helpful, and if even only a few of the "good ideas" floated in these threads are quietly picked up by the organizers and thus contribute to making it a successful event, that's helpful as well. So keep them coming!

Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It’s so damn heart warming to see so many people from so many states joining this movement, and I’m proud to be a part of it.
View Quote
I just pray that this does not happen to the Volunteer state. If it does I see a similar protest.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep.

And him pulling it shows how little he values he has. He's clearly not a gun grabber OR a 2A guy. He's just a faggot in a suit who doesn't even know what he believes.

Shit like this really makes me think of running for office. Everyone might not like me, but they'll at least say "Hey, at least he has a values system."
View Quote
For the record, I’d vote for you.
We chatted about just running someone as an independent in Alexandria - do fliers and some door to door, all you need is to get new people to vote, you don't even have to flip votes!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Things may (and probably will change), but right now it is pretty simple. Ben spells it out very clearly in his thread. There are many that want to show up and demonstrate their discontent, resolve, and capabilites peacefully with full kit. Awesome. If that resonates with you, link up with him, Miles_Urbanus, and the NBB and await further coordinating instructions.

Many want to go without kit and lobby. Awesome. That is the desired goal of the VCDL.  If that resonates with you, join the VCDL and sign up for their alerts.

As I said, things may change, but these are the two most viable options at the time. But these two aforementioned groups are just a small part of lobby day. There will be thousands of normal Virginians that are there to do neither. My small town is filling up their third bus, and the surrounding towns counties are bringing similar numbers (or more). These folks aren't going in to lobby. They also aren't kitting up outside. They are simply going to stand strong in support of the 2A and against tyranny. They just want to be seen and continue to be a part of the movement that brought them and thousands of their neighbors out to their BoS meetings. Momentum hasn't slowed, and this is their next chance to be heard.

There are going to also be thousands from out of state. Some fall into the first two groups, but many in the third. A fourth group is the Militia March on the Capital movement. These folks are organized and this isnt their first rodeo. Some were at Charlottesville. By their own estimation they believe that they will field over 10,000 militia members. As of right now, they are urging peace and restraint. The VCDL extended an olive branch to them and welcomes their presence.

At the end of the day there are going to be thousands of people there with different goals, agendas, and methodologies. All are welcome, and all have a lot to contribute. There is absolutely no way to have command and control over them all. The important thing is to show unity towards the primary goal: Protecting the 2A in VA. What we don't need are those with no skin in the game either trying to diminish or dampen our resolve, or try to accelerate the more easily influenced in our ranks towards action(s) that will ultimately be detrimental to our primary goal.

In short, we need to stay motivated, rational, calm, flexible, prepared, and welcoming of all who are on our side.
View Quote
Every American who loves liberty and doesn’t want to see their children and grandchildren living under the oppression of a even more tyrannical government that what we’ve already allowed to be pressed down on us has skin in this game...  Simply because a resident from another state shows up doesn’t mean they have no skin in this game.  The assault on our liberties will continue.  If Bloomberg’s money works in VA he’ll simply move on state to state until every last one has fallen.  This may take decades, and Bloomberg very well could have met his maker by then, but rest assured that just as the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening, people will always be trying to take away our liberty.  We cannot allow for anymore infringements on our rights.  We cannot allow what has been infringed on already to continue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder what they're referring to with their statement, 'the hard work of atonement and apology'...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/12/28/washington-post-editorial-board-ralph-northam-resignation/

‘We Were Wrong’: The Washington Post Editorial Board Shifts Gears After Once Calling For Ralph Northam’s Resignation
View Quote
The Washington Post’s editorial board has done an about-face after once calling for the resignation of Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam.

Earlier this year, when a medical school yearbook photo of what appeared to be Northam either in blackface or a Ku Klux Klan outfit emerged, the Post was one of many outlets calling for the Virginia governor to resign.
View Quote
Northam “can no longer effectively serve the people of Virginia who elected him,” the outlet’s editorial board wrote in February. “His shifting and credulity-shredding explanations for the racist photograph on his medical school yearbook page, and the silence into which he then succumbed for days — after initially promising to do ‘the hard work’ of atonement and apology to restore his standing with Virginians — is simply too much.”

In the months since, however, the embattled Virginia governor has indeed managed to accomplish “‘the hard work’ of atonement and apology,” at least to the satisfaction of the Post.
View Quote
More at link.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As much as I like that idea it sounds like a very good way to have a SWAT team called in on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly enough, it is most likely going to take more than this to make this bullshit go away for any length of time.

The truth is that what it will take in the long run is complete and total fear on the part of our elected official to the point where they fear for their very lives and the lives of their loved ones if they even bring the subject up.

Actually this really is an interesting idea.

50 or so armed people outside their home while their spouse in in Richmond will at least let them understand that this isn't business. It's personal.
As much as I like that idea it sounds like a very good way to have a SWAT team called in on you.
That's fine. Get ordered to disperse, so so immediately and without pushback. The point will have been thoroughly made already.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I looked it up. Was going to join until I read their membership questions.
View Quote
I don't facebook. What were their questions?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just pray that this does not happen to the Volunteer state. If it does I see a similar protest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s so damn heart warming to see so many people from so many states joining this movement, and I’m proud to be a part of it.
The time will come unless it’s stopped in its tracks. They will come for us all. This is not a Virginia battle. This is a battle for liberty.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
An interesting read: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/danger-ahead-advice-former-militia-leader

Danger Ahead!!! Advice From A Former Militia Leader
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is quite interesting to see this thread move in the subtle direction it has. Almost like it has by design. Distractions seem to be abound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but coupled with the truckers union following through on their veiled threats, it would definitely make things uncomfortable.  Uncomfortable enough that the local populace might make things sporty....

Although, this is all conjecture. With any luck, cooler heads will prevail and Richmond will see the folly of their ways and we will all be left alone.  Back to BBQ, range time and bullshitting on the ‘net over beans/ no beans, 9mm/.45, theft of herby curb, best round for grandpa, etc... One can hope.
My opinion of the whole “Trucker Union Blockade” is that it’s a red herring. Trucking companies, drivers, unions, stores they deliver to, are in business to make money. Stopping service is not going to make money. Delivering goods to people that need it will make money. If you believe in capitalism you understand goods will be delivered one way or another.
I honestly think folks in this thread have spent too much time offering conjecture about something that was purely rhetorical.
The ADHD Crowd needs you to keep your focus and repeat why this is happening, so they don't get distracted. At least until the Adderall kicks in...
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

imo this will not go how you think. they will cry wolf and say the evil gun owners are "terrorizing their families" it will be all over the news and give them more ammunition for their cause. do the same idea without firearms present might work
View Quote
It's a good thing the founding fathers saw that too. Otherwise, they would have gotten bad press in the news for burning down tax collectors houses, tar and feathering people, forcing people to drink boiling tea, etc.

No matter what, you're going to be on the wrong side of the press. You could sit home rubbing one out to your favorite Capt Marvel scene, with video proof from your chatter account and it won't matter. They will make up whatever shit about you that they want. They will cast you in whatever light they want. They will make up whatever they need to to make you fit their agenda. The time for worrying about that is long over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Things may (and probably will change), but right now it is pretty simple. Ben spells it out very clearly in his thread. There are many that want to show up and demonstrate their discontent, resolve, and capabilites peacefully with full kit. Awesome. If that resonates with you, link up with him, Miles_Urbanus, and the NBB and await further coordinating instructions.

Many want to go without kit and lobby. Awesome. That is the desired goal of the VCDL.  If that resonates with you, join the VCDL and sign up for their alerts.

As I said, things may change, but these are the two most viable options at the time. But these two aforementioned groups are just a small part of lobby day. There will be thousands of normal Virginians that are there to do neither. My small town is filling up their third bus, and the surrounding towns counties are bringing similar numbers (or more). These folks aren't going in to lobby. They also aren't kitting up outside. They are simply going to stand strong in support of the 2A and against tyranny. They just want to be seen and continue to be a part of the movement that brought them and thousands of their neighbors out to their BoS meetings. Momentum hasn't slowed, and this is their next chance to be heard.

There are going to also be thousands from out of state. Some fall into the first two groups, but many in the third. A fourth group is the Militia March on the Capital movement. These folks are organized and this isnt their first rodeo. Some were at Charlottesville. By their own estimation they believe that they will field over 10,000 militia members. As of right now, they are urging peace and restraint. The VCDL extended an olive branch to them and welcomes their presence.

At the end of the day there are going to be thousands of people there with different goals, agendas, and methodologies. All are welcome, and all have a lot to contribute. There is absolutely no way to have command and control over them all. The important thing is to show unity towards the primary goal: Protecting the 2A in VA. What we don't need are those with no skin in the game either trying to diminish or dampen our resolve, or try to accelerate the more easily influenced in our ranks towards action(s) that will ultimately be detrimental to our primary goal.

In short, we need to stay motivated, rational, calm, flexible, prepared, and welcoming of all who are on our side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but coupled with the truckers union following through on their veiled threats, it would definitely make things uncomfortable.  Uncomfortable enough that the local populace might make things sporty....

Although, this is all conjecture. With any luck, cooler heads will prevail and Richmond will see the folly of their ways and we will all be left alone.  Back to BBQ, range time and bullshitting on the 'net over beans/ no beans, 9mm/.45, theft of herby curb, best round for grandpa, etc... One can hope.
My opinion of the whole "Trucker Union Blockade" is that it's a red herring. Trucking companies, drivers, unions, stores they deliver to, are in business to make money. Stopping service is not going to make money. Delivering goods to people that need it will make money. If you believe in capitalism you understand goods will be delivered one way or another.
I honestly think folks in this thread have spent too much time offering conjecture about something that was purely rhetorical.
It appears that there is a significant percentage of people that don't know why they are going.... and just circle the drain coming up with harebrained ideas which show a lack of ability to focus.
Most of the more harebrained ideas are coming from those who will not be attending, but are very quick to tell us what we should do.
Bingo.

Agree with every single thing you just said. I myself am coming to Virginia and in that third group, to demonstrate solidarity with you (royal) and to glean what I can from an organizational standpoint as I begin to think about what this looks like in my own state of Arizona. As I have posted a few times in this thread and others. This is a Virginia problem geographically, but it is more a liberty problem for us all. My skin in the game is summed up there. In that vein though my biggest value to Virginians such as yourself is just another head to be counted, but I am ok with that. I hope to meet you, Ben, and some others if time permits and talk. I would much rather get similarly organized before the bring the legislation to vote here, if at all possible.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As far as discussing practical stuff we have the same problem that any revolutionary cadre has had through time - the problem of secure comms.  In 2019 we have the *technology* to have secure communications but we don't have the face to face relationships to vet the folks that we allow in.  Because most folks here don't know each other face to face it's difficult to keep out the agent provocateurs and outright Fed/Antifa/Statist/Leftist spies.

The way this is done on the Left is pretty simple - maybe we should follow it?  It's been proven to work repeatedly over time.

1.  A group of known and effective leaders who know each other personally form a group where there is pretty much absolute trust.  This is the *inner ring*.  These people must be acknowledged leaders in the movement.  They seek out and gather other acknowledged and universally trusted leaders.

2.  That group starts to slowly vet people that it knows and begins to build an *outer ring* of leadership.  These are folks with less history or trust.  These people will be the leaders of the local cell groups.

3.  The outer ring members each create their own small group (or cell) that they keep in touch with their inner group sponsor via their personal comms.

4.  Once any group hits 10-15 members it splits to limit information spread.  This means that a new cell leader is elected by local cell members and approved by inner ring members.  Cells can then spawn new sub-cells.

5.  As outer ring groups grow their membership is monitored via people assigned from the inner group who troll the outer groups for folks to add to the inner ring or to create new cells.

6.  Ideas and orders are passed down to the outer ring cells from the inner ring.  Information spread is limited to prevent compromise.  If an outer ring is believed to be compromised the entire group is cut off and all comms cease.  Ideas and thoughts from the outer ring groups is passed through their leader up to the inner ring.

7.  The only people that are aware of the full org *structure* are the inner ring members.  But even they do not keep cell rosters - the only people who know the full membership of a cell are the folks within it.  They have no idea of the membership of any other cell.

I know this sounds extremely paranoid . . . but this is how loosely coupled orgs maintain opsec. It's been proven through history repeatedly.

As a Virginian I'm saddened that it's come to this - but in order to keep our rights we're going to have to steal some of the techniques and approaches of the Left.  They have FAR more experience and success with this than we on the Right do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

. . .
. . .

The left stole them from us. We are just going to reclaim them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You Tennessee guys are safe for now... but it’s happening to you too.

Take a look at your map and see how similar it is to ours. All red with three big blue spots .

This is a national problem and honestly I am not sure how it can be dealt with. Realistically we will never have a state electoral college. What can we do on a legislative level to fix this?
View Quote
Repeal the 17th
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]
New VCDL member from KS along with a little extra for the fight. Praying for a positive end to all of this. You all are doing great work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Things may (and probably will change), but right now it is pretty simple. Ben spells it out very clearly in his thread. There are many that want to show up and demonstrate their discontent, resolve, and capabilites peacefully with full kit. Awesome. If that resonates with you, link up with him, Miles_Urbanus, and the NBB and await further coordinating instructions.  Become a VCDL member, donate, and sign-ip for VCDL alert emails, and we hope to see you with you AR on Jan 20th.

View Quote
FIFY

ETA: in the spirit of “get both”
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It would also serve as a good litmus test for what we think LE will do vs what they actually do. Silent, peaceful demonstration outside the residence sends multiple messages on multiple levels and gives us back some very useful intel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly enough, it is most likely going to take more than this to make this bullshit go away for any length of time.

The truth is that what it will take in the long run is complete and total fear on the part of our elected official to the point where they fear for their very lives and the lives of their loved ones if they even bring the subject up.

50 or so armed people outside their home while their spouse in in Richmond will at least let them understand that this isn't business. It's personal.
That's a given. They are not going to fire unless there is an actual overt act, though.
It would also serve as a good litmus test for what we think LE will do vs what they actually do. Silent, peaceful demonstration outside the residence sends multiple messages on multiple levels and gives us back some very useful intel.
I believe the law pertaining to this was posted in the early pages of this thread, but I seem to recall it was illegal for 3 or more to protest at a residence.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I believe the law pertaining to this was posted in the early pages of this thread, but I seem to recall it was illegal for 3 or more to protest at a residence.
View Quote
Is a "protest" even necessary, or being visibly armed?  There are only 140 members between the two houses.  Would it be possible to get maybe 10 people who live in each district to print out a letter on these bills and hand deliver it to their representative?  I believe this is a situation where showing up individually will do the most good.  And also, a good way to involve people who want to help with Lobby Day, but have work or family commitments and can't make it to the capitol.

It isn't a protest, just people petitioning their representatives.  This could be a good show of support for those who may need it.  For the others it may burst the bubble they live in that the people they have been vilifying and wish to turn criminal are right there in the area or even the same neighborhood.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The part in green creates a bit of a conflict.

Edit:

@Ben sorry, I suck at the internet. Here's the photo. The green part, interpreted in the strictest possible sense, is a statement I cannot agree to:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

. . .
. . .

That system serves the core dudes well, but few else.  That system is how you get upstart 'factions' at war with each other because one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, or worse yet, develops different ideas about how to do things.  Or most worst still, core dudes pitting cells against each other.  And heaven help you poor souls on the ground level if an operative makes his way into the higher echelons.

How'd the militia during the revolution here keep things secure?  As far as face-to-face security, things haven't changed that much.  They also had letter-carriers in those days as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wonder what they're referring to with their statement, 'the hard work of atonement and apology'...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/12/28/washington-post-editorial-board-ralph-northam-resignation/

More at link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

‘We Were Wrong’: The Washington Post Editorial Board Shifts Gears After Once Calling For Ralph Northam’s Resignation
The Washington Post’s editorial board has done an about-face after once calling for the resignation of Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam.

Earlier this year, when a medical school yearbook photo of what appeared to be Northam either in blackface or a Ku Klux Klan outfit emerged, the Post was one of many outlets calling for the Virginia governor to resign.
Northam “can no longer effectively serve the people of Virginia who elected him,” the outlet’s editorial board wrote in February. “His shifting and credulity-shredding explanations for the racist photograph on his medical school yearbook page, and the silence into which he then succumbed for days — after initially promising to do ‘the hard work’ of atonement and apology to restore his standing with Virginians — is simply too much.”

In the months since, however, the embattled Virginia governor has indeed managed to accomplish “‘the hard work’ of atonement and apology,” at least to the satisfaction of the Post.
More at link.
It would appear to refer to him immolating his political career on a bonfire of assorted leftist policy moon-shots.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Most ironical president ever, that man.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You Tennessee guys are safe for now... but it’s happening to you too.

Take a look at your map and see how similar it is to ours. All red with three big blue spots .

This is a national problem and honestly I am not sure how it can be dealt with. Realistically we will never have a state electoral college. What can we do on a legislative level to fix this?
View Quote
This is a topic for its own thread. Reynolds v Sims needs to be repudiated by the States that still have conservative governments.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a given. They are not going to fire unless there is an actual overt act, though.
I believe you are right. I remember reading that. Perhaps a bake sale then?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Stickers are in.

The patches are in production and should ship soonish.

Wanted to say, thank you to everyone getting involved with the planning for this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is a "protest" even necessary, or being visibly armed?  There are only 140 members between the two houses.  Would it be possible to get maybe 10 people who live in each district to print out a letter on these bills and hand deliver it to their representative?  I believe this is a situation where showing up individually will do the most good.  And also, a good way to involve people who want to help with Lobby Day, but have work or family commitments and can't make it to the capitol.

It isn't a protest, just people petitioning their representatives.  This could be a good show of support for those who may need it.  For the others it may burst the bubble they live in that the people they have been vilifying and wish to turn criminal are right there in the area or even the same neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also a big fan of printing up small signs to stick in their front yard or common area nearby that has a picture of the rep and something like "Gun control is racist - don't let him/her take your guns". Seeing their own picture in their own neighborhood and being painted as a racist will get their attention.

Making them a pariah in their own neighborhood is the most effective method to get them to tone down their rhetoric. Very few of these legislators are in the ritzy gated communities. Remember, being a Virginia legislator is a part time gig so they have some other source of income coming in from somewhere. Get enough neighbors talking to them about it and they'll get really, really tired of hearing about it.

They started this "fight", we intend to finish it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stickers are in.

Wanted to say, thank you to everyone getting involved with the planning for this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77588/20191227_081641-1212977.jpg
View Quote
They look good! Remember my offer (and other) to help offset your out-of-pocket expense.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm also a big fan of printing up small signs to stick in their front yard or common area nearby that has a picture of the rep and something like "Gun control is racist - don't let him/her take your guns". Seeing their own picture in their own neighborhood and being painted as a racist will get their attention.

Making them a pariah in their own neighborhood is the most effective method to get them to tone down their rhetoric. Very few of these legislators are in the ritzy gated communities. Remember, being a Virginia legislator is a part time gig so they have some other source of income coming in from somewhere. Get enough neighbors talking to them about it and they'll get really, really tired of hearing about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially if they have businesses and customers. As widespread as this has become it would still be good for folks to know what the people they sent to represent them are doing!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stickers are in.

View Quote
Nice! Remember to contact those of us who offered to help with costs please.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would that be like Committees of Correspondence?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
People should all get Threema/Signal on their mobile devices.

Much better and somewhat more secure comms.
View Quote
While I agree it’s more secure, the other major consideration is the connectivity.  If things go sideways, removing connectivity on a telecommunications networks is quick and easy.  Redundancy and comms that aren’t controlled by a 3rd party need to be considered and implemented.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
While I agree it’s more secure, the other major consideration is the connectivity.  If things go sideways, removing connectivity on a telecommunications networks is quick and easy.  Redundancy and comms that aren’t controlled by a 3rd party need to be considered and implemented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even without any action being taken to shut down connectivity, cellular data is going to be spotty at best with 30k people all in one place. We have that problem at sporting events and concerts.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Even without any action being taken to shut down connectivity, cellular data is going to be spotty at best with 30k people all in one place. We have that problem at sporting events and concerts.
View Quote
I don’t think that will be a problem. It’s the downtown area of a reasonably large city, and it’s a federal and state holiday - which means that a ton of people who would normally be there, won’t be. Federal, state, and banking employees are a huge proportion of downtown Richmond’s workforce.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Most of the more harebrained ideas are coming from those who will not be attending, but are very quick to tell us what we should do.
View Quote
Fuckin idiots. Probably have no skin in the game, and are completely ignorant on the issue anyway. And if shtf in Virginia, they'd probably be all like "well, its their back yard", fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stickers are in.

View Quote
Super nice
I am happy to help support this
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My opinion of the whole “Trucker Union Blockade” is that it’s a red herring. Trucking companies, drivers, unions, stores they deliver to, are in business to make money. Stopping service is not going to make money. Delivering goods to people that need it will make money. If you believe in capitalism you understand goods will be delivered one way or another.
View Quote
Agreed.

Uber does freight now, and anyone can rent a Penske or Uhaul.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They look good! Remember my offer (and other) to help offset your out-of-pocket expense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stickers are in.

The same here . . . I'm more than willing to help out.  That's an awesome design!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree it's more secure, the other major consideration is the connectivity.  If things go sideways, removing connectivity on a telecommunications networks is quick and easy.  Redundancy and comms that aren't controlled by a 3rd party need to be considered and implemented.
Maybe we should start another thread re: comms and connectivity? If we come up with anything solid it will get lost in this 100+ page thread.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If millions of us said in lockstep, in reply to such accusations, "You won't like me as a criminal; don't make me a criminal".....it might go how we think after all.

The whole point of this rally is that we will not cede our rights peacefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

imo this will not go how you think. they will cry wolf and say the evil gun owners are "terrorizing their families" it will be all over the news and give them more ammunition for their cause. do the same idea without firearms present might work
If millions of us said in lockstep, in reply to such accusations, "You won't like me as a criminal; don't make me a criminal".....it might go how we think after all.

Any attempt to protest or picket near the home of a legislator would have to be very civil. Unarmed. Quiet. No trespassing. Just signage. Complete Compliance with law enforcement.  Simply a tiny group of people saying hello, being friendly, passing out fliers, voicing concern about these bills to people.

All in plain view of the homes of the congressman. Enough that wives call husbands and send a pictures.  Let them know people care about the issue more than they realize.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't think that will be a problem. It's the downtown area of a reasonably large city, and it's a federal and state holiday - which means that a ton of people who would normally be there, won't be. Federal, state, and banking employees are a huge proportion of downtown Richmond's workforce.
View Quote
If 30K folks show there will be issues . . . that area is busy but 30K will overwhelm the cell towers because it's a small area on the side of a hill.  And there is no city-wide WiFi network.

Plus - if there are issues on 1/20 I guarantee the first thing that the Staties will cut is cell comms.  We need Baofeng backup freqs and a licensed HAM to send out massages for general consumption.  99.99% of us will just be in listen mode.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any attempt to protest or picket near the home of a legislator would have to be very civil. Unarmed. Quiet. No trespassing. Just signage. Complete Compliance with law enforcement.  Simply a tiny group of people saying hello, being friendly, passing out fliers, voicing concern about these bills to people.

All in plain view of the homes of the congressman. Enough that wives call husbands and send a pictures.  Let them know people care about the issue more than they realize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this 100%.  Even super nice and friendly would send an unmistakeable message.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I agree with this 100%.  Even super nice and friendly would send an unmistakeable message.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

24/7 so it REALLY gets on their nerves.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Edit:

@Ben sorry, I suck at the internet. Here's the photo. The green part, interpreted in the strictest possible sense, is a statement I cannot agree to:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47056/80659724_596667020903114_8317522829507559424_n_jpg-1212926.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47056/80659724_596667020903114_8317522829507559424_n_jpg-1212926.JPG
CYA text because of Facebook bullshit rules.  The actual talk is not much different than this thread, if not more hostile toward the Northam regime.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Stickers are in.

View Quote
Where can I buy two?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bro, the Shenandoah battle buddies is already there with a group chat.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of things happen that are illegal at protests, but  the scene commander (usually a captain or above, and thus a political animal) usually prefers not to open a can of worms if the situation is otherwise peaceful.

That Jews against ICE link I posted earlier had a section on Direct Action, this is what the left is willing to risk:(pay attention to the last sentence)

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1EqVfXC3eIOiVUgSlY8K63BdpVIQ1Sj8IGQHes7rawKw/mobilebasic

Attachment Attached File

Direct Action Cheat Sheet NeverAgainAction
Some considerations for folks planning their first or second direct action…

DISCLAIMER: STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION!  This resource is not a legal document, consult with local activists and movement lawyers for specific questions about specific tactics.

TACTICS
Direct action takes many forms.  There is a spectrum from armed resistance to civil disobedience.  The determination of which strategy you wish to use is a choice made at individual, local and national levels.  A reminder, NeverAgainAction is using the following Action agreements:
* We will at all times act in ways that most strategically express that we as Jews are shutting down ICE, because when we say never again, we mean it. Action should be led by Jews and immigrants and Jews and immigrants should hold all public facing roles; allies are welcome to participate (and even take risk) as long as they agree to follow those directly affected and Jews.
* In all moments, we remember why we are here and we will engage in ways that do not detract from the purpose of this action. This means:
* We will use no violence, verbal or physical, toward any person.
* We will not destroy or damage any property.
* We will carry no weapons.
* We are trying to unite the Jewish community not divide so no flags of any kind please.
* We agree to respect the agreed-upon decision-making systems and roles within our action.
* We acknowledge that risk plays out differently for each of us and so we will honor each others’ choices within the action parameters.
We will take responsibility for ourselves, each other and our collective goals. We will exercise personal and collective responsibility to ensure that all participants adhere to these agreements.

It is important to note that the choices on this topic are often cultural.  While armed militias in the US are routinely disparaged today, the United States government celebrates armed resistance every year on July 4th.
Note: there is a body of research that suggests non-violent civil disobedience is the most effective strategy in many cases (see the work of Gene Sharp, among others).  There are also compelling cases to be made for the importance of physical resistance.

RISK and CONSEQUENCES
To “Risk” is to “expose someone (or something valuable) to danger, harm or loss.”  Civil Disobedience is a risk because the outcomes of that exposure are uncertain.  If we knew getting arrested would lead to a change in a law or policy, we’d likely flock to it.  But, we’re not sure what will happen, and we’re not sure what will happen to us if we are arrested.  Effective civil disobedience is partly about reducing the uncertainty attached to risk, and partly about acting even in the face of uncertainty. The following suggestions are aimed at reducing the uncertainty and preparing your group to act even when uncertainty remains.

There are many ways we are exposed when we engage in direct action and/or civil disobedience.  Some of the ways include physical risks, legal risks, financial risks, social risks and emotional risks.

Physical: In theory law enforcement is expected to minimize physical injury to people who are engaged in civil disobedience. In practice they are completely protected by their peers, prosecutors, and the media, and therefore routinely cause physical harm. Your own non-violent struggle or resistance during arrest can escalate violence towards you and your fellow protestors.
* Example: Law enforcement used zipties to handcuff peaceful protesters. Arrested protesters were repeatedly ignored by officers when they asked for the zipties to be loosened while they waiting up to 8 hours before being processed, resulting in bruising, abrasions, and numbness in their extremities.
* Law enforcement predictably targets people of color and they are the most likely to face violence at the hands of the police. If the majority of your group is white (or cis, or abled, or straight), prepare for the way individuals could use their privilege and your bodies to protect the most vulnerable members of our community.
* Physical searches are typically performed during processing at the police station, and can be invasive and intentionally humiliating.
* Trans and gender non-conforming folks are particularly vulnerable to physical, verbal, and psychological harassment.  Additionally, most municipalities separate detainees by presumed gender, and will disregard ID gender markers.
* Law enforcement may confiscate and/or deny you needed medications.  Or they may take you to a local emergency room to administer medications.  Both of these routinely happen. (Best option: bring small amounts in the original bottle, as well as a copy of your prescription. You can request paper prescriptions from your doctors.(

Legal:  This is a substantial risk, and will be specifically dealt with HERE.  Please note, undocumented folks are at much greater risks when arrested.

Financial: Arrests usually require a non-refundable bond fee (varies in amount), and can also lead to legal fees (lawyers) and fines (can be substantial).  Arrests can also lead to loss of work (harder for shift workers and people living paycheck to paycheck).

Social:  People can lose friendships or employment if they are associated with direct action or civil disobedience.  If there are legal proceedings, it can be draining of time, and also lead to loss of employment, if employers are sympathetic to law enforcement or are anti-immigrant.

Emotional: If civil disobedience was comfortable, we would probably engage in it more frequently.  But it takes emotional energy.  Being arrested can be profoundly disempowering, though groups of people also often report it as being an empowering experience.

Before determining the type of action you will engage in, you should determine: What level of risk are participants comfortable with? It is important for individuals to know for themselves.  It is important for organizers to know about action participants.  It can be helpful to separate people into groups based on levels of risk.  Law enforcement violence against civilians varies by jurisdiction and culture.  Some locations aim to avoid arrests entirely, while others arrest quickly.  Remember that the balance of physical power is very uneven.  Law enforcement has all the power.
Examples: Some people may desire to be arrested.  Some people may be willing to fill a role where arrest is unlikely, but they are willing if it happens.  Other people may not want to get arrested. Others may need to avoid arrest (they may have pending court cases or face particular targeting by law enforcement or have historical trauma).

Some other notes:
“Risking arrest” - this is a term that is frequently used, but it is misleading, because it implies a choice.  Law enforcement does not always give people choices.  
Examples: One friend of mine was told either to leave or be arrested during a crackdown on an Occupy site.  She left, and then decided she wanted to be arrested and went back in, and was eventually arrested.  She had a choice.
Another friend who is a nurse and felt unable to risk arrest showed up at a highway blockade to serve as a medic.  He was arrested nonetheless.

Working with the Police - In some locales this may make sense (i.e. when they show up at an action, the police liaison can engage with them.)  Law enforcement tactics continue to evolve along with activist tactics.  Sometimes police want to know who’s in charge and will have meaningful conversations.  Other times they will ignore police liaisons entirely or arrest them.  Because these actions are focused on disruption, letting them know in advance or giving them any details is not a good idea.

AFTERCARE and SUPPORT
While you will do everything you can to minimize people’s exposure to harm, there will inevitably be consequences attached to your action.  Here are some suggestions for strategies for aftercare and support:

Physical and Emotional: Jail Support should be at least one person's role, and if you have capacity, it should be a team.  For more on this, see the Jail Support Team doc.
* Some amount of law enforcement mistreatment is to be expected.  Your group can decide what level is unacceptable, perhaps in communication with local legal support, and whether you want to pursue individual remedies (i.e. sue law enforcement for misconduct).  
* Individuals who are arrested may emerge from confinement 1) exhausted, 2) hungry, 3) thirsty, 4) confused, 5) traumatized or shaken up, 6) angry, 7) in need of critical medication or many other things.  It is important to have someone prepared to receive them when they are released.  Release from prison on bail can be a slow and confusing process.  You are within your rights to ask questions about who is being released when, and especially where (Some jails have unusual release spots - like behind the building, and they won’t tell you unless you ask.)  Most municipalities separate detainees by presumed gender - and in larger cities this can mean different physical locations in the same city.  People under the age of 18 are often held in different locations as well.  If you think someone in your action is under the age of 18, please be vigilant and extra supportive.
* It can be a nice touch to ask people what type of snack they want most when they get out of jail, and have that waiting.  It can also be nice to have a cheering crew supporting them.  See specific notes in the Jail Support document about when and where to have a crew.

Financial: Most locations require a non-refundable bail to be paid in cash before someone can be released.  Know what the amount is in your location, and provide each arrestee with that amount in cash in their pocket ahead of time.  Be thoughtful about participants who may wish to risk arrest but don’t have access to cash.
* Legal outcomes and financial costs vary widely.  Be in touch with local legal support as much as possible to better understand typical law enforcement response.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Example: In Boston, the District Attorney declined to prosecute 18 arrestees at the Boston NeverAgainAction in July.  Hooray!  Each of those 18 people still paid $40 in cash to be bailed out.  BUT, in a different county in Massachusetts in June of this year, someone was sentenced to 10 days in jail for blocking an ICE detention facility.  

Social: For many folks who are white, wealthy and US citizens, our social risks may be high but our other risks relatively low.  Support people to develop strategies to mitigate social risks or work through them ahead of time.

SECURITY
It is widely understood that law enforcement has the capability and in many cases the legal mandate to spy on private communications between citizens.  The following information is not intended to dissuade you from planning and conducting direct actions, but rather it is designed to limit your risk should you OR OTHERS be arrested.  Enhancing your security protocols can lead to Greater safety for all involved, Increased effectiveness of your action, and Stronger legal protection for participants.  You don’t have to be perfect, but every bit helps.
Example: We mentioned earlier a medic who had not expected to get arrested at an action.  The folks who had locked themselves together had used a secure text message thread to coordinate, and had all carefully deleted that thread before the action.  He, however, had not, because he did not plan to get arrested.  The thread was used as leverage to threaten the participants to plead guilty to more substantial charges.

Here are some common platforms and their security concerns:
* You should assume that all Google Docs could (and likely are) being read by law enforcement.  Even this one.  Consider Encrypted Notepad or Safe Notes instead.
* Ditto for Email, unless it is specifically encrypted.  ProtonMail is one example of free encrypted email, but there are others.  If only one end of the communication has encryption, assume that it will be read by law enforcement (i.e. an encrypted email from your ProtonMail account to a friends gmail account is NOT secure or private)
* If you are communicating using smartphones, Signal is an effective encrypyed Phone and Text Messaging app.  WhatsApp is also currently effective.  There are others.
* Note that law enforcement in many cities have a variety of military grade equipment that can track cellphones very specifically. Stingrays are one example.  They mimic cell towers, pulling in all the data, and it is believed, routing calls through their vehicle and thereby listening in.
* Stingrays are also believed to cause loss of cell signal in targeted areas, which can cause some problems for digitally coordinated actions!
* If you are concerned about any specific content on your phone, add a password to your phone before the action, and be sure to disable any fingerprint option!  Even with these steps they can still access your data if they really want to, it’s just a little harder.
* When it comes to Social Media, remember that everything you say on any platform, whether public or private, can and will be used against you in a court of law.  Full stop.
* Print or Digital Media: Prosecutors can use both public media reports and social media to make a case against you.  Be careful what you say about your participation in an action/ arrest to reporters or on social media.  Don’t talk to reporters or on social media about other people’s involvement in actions/arrests either!

These simple security steps can reduce some of your legal risks.  You are still preparing to break laws in the service of justice, so legal risk remains.  But that’s the point of acting!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

CYA text because of Facebook bullshit rules.  The actual talk is not much different than this thread, if not more hostile toward the Northam regime.
View Quote
@sq40 gotcha. Hadn't thought of that angle.

I'll join up.
Page / 423
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top