BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a legitimate function of a state "Child Protective Services" or equivalent.

There is no reason to involved the police until CPS has determined the behavior is a result of an abusive home. The School has a problem child and the parents are of no use or can't be bothered to be available at a moments notice, call CPS.

A 6 year old child that is abusive to others is likely the victim of abuse themselves.
View Quote
Which doesn't solve the immediate problem of the violent and/or disruptive behavior and its effects on other children. Which is where things like protective orders are required if the school fails to act, which in turn is where police involvement is needed if for no other reason than to gather necessary data (names, addresses, DOBs, etc. for service of papers).

There's an awful lot of folks in this thread with opinions on what "should" or "ought" to happen, who have obviously never actually tried to make any of these things happen. It is a bureaucratic slog of epic proportions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In fact if the cops get called to a school and there is a 6 year old child that is so disruptive that the school felt the need to call the police, I think the first call the cops should make is to CPS and hand that shit off right there.
View Quote
From my dealings with CPS they would want the cop to bring the kid to their office, or they’d ask for a report number to follow up later.
I’ve never been able to call CPS, tell them “bitches it’s yours” and just leave the situation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Which doesn't solve the immediate problem of the violent and/or disruptive behavior and its effects on other children. Which is where things like protective orders are required if the school fails to act, which in turn is where police involvement is needed if for no other reason than to gather necessary data (names, addresses, DOBs, etc. for service of papers).

There's an awful lot of folks in this thread with opinions on what "should" or "ought" to happen, who have obviously never actually tried to make any of these things happen. It is a bureaucratic slog of epic proportions.
View Quote
The thing is we have heard it is arrest or do nothing and the arrest caused the cop to get fired so that leaves what?

We only know what we are told by the experts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All the time.

"Now Timmy, you behave yourself or that police officer over there is going to arrest you and take you to jail."

That is all I hear.

They're the same type of parents that call 911 because their kids won't get out of bed for school or do their homework.
View Quote
I got my meal paid for once because I told a mom that wasn't appropriate and explained why. Another patron bought my crews meals

That said I've started telling folks who do that off, and then telling the kids that isnt my role in their lives
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
pussy ass cop is probably a pedo...  Likes to restrain 6 y.o. kids?  Cuts his nuts off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What does a cop do that causes him to get fired?

I’m pretty sure it’s not angelic behavior
View Quote
To be fair, he was a reserve officer.  In many places reserves can fall into an "at will" status.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Immunity from civil damages for government employees for civil rights violations in certain situations, but misunderstood 99.9% of the time. 100% in GD, unless I'm here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
then you are against qualified immunity for cops, yes?
What does qualified immunity mean????
Immunity from civil damages for government employees for civil rights violations in certain situations, but misunderstood 99.9% of the time. 100% in GD, unless I'm here.
Come on now.....There are a few of us that understand it here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a minimum age to arrest someone or something?

Sometimes kids are little shits too
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
In CO you cannot be culpable until you are 10
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lame
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want the state to be the parent don't complain when the parenting is not to your liking.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want the state to be the parent don't complain when the parenting is not to your liking.
This sounds like the correct answer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not in FL, but apparently some states do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why are people so upset?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you have teeny tiny cuffs for mouthy babies?
View Quote
Zip ties come in all sizes....

ETA: Obviously this was a joke. But I don't really have a problem with the story in the OP.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tried to pass a law.  I don't know its status.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well once I went with 99.9, there was no wiggle room.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you have teeny tiny cuffs for mouthy babies?
View Quote
No, but after reading your post I'm tossing a C clamp in the car so I can clamp 2 flippers together.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
At what age can we start arresting people for assault?

do we have to wait until they're 18?

10 years old?

who knows?!?!

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The thing is we have heard it is arrest or do nothing and the arrest caused the cop to get fired so that leaves what?
View Quote
I already went over that - like, in my very first post in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To be fair, he was a reserve officer.  In many places reserves can fall into an "at will" status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure it’s not angelic behavior
It's just terrible that he doesn't have a union to protect him from poor decision making.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know about this story, but, several years ago one of the notorious local jurisdictions had an incident where a mother took her 8 year old and 11 year old daughters to the park. The kids got into a fight and someone called the police and the police came on scene and arrested the 8 year old for domestic violence and took her in. The mother went to the local news station and reported the arrest. The local station sent a reporter to the police dept. and a Lt. was interviewed outside the police dept. The Lt. said that when they are called to a domestic violence incident, "someone is going to jail." Even an 8 year old child.  The reporter then went to the District Attorney's office and an Assistant District Attorney advised that his office had not received a referral from that police dept. for the child's criminal prosecution and he would decline it even if they did. Unfortunately, this police dept. has a long and infamous history.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#26]
In E.W. v. Dolgos, (4th Cir. 2018), the Fourth Circuit looked at a child handcuffing case inside a school by a SRO.

The analysis fell under the regular Graham Factors for excessive force cases.

There are  three factors to the “Graham Factors”:

1. "the severity of the crime at issue;
2. whether the suspect poses an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others,
3.and whether he is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight."

Graham, 490 U.S. at 396, 109 S.Ct. 1865.

In E.W., it was a compliant 10 year old.  The Court wasn't happy about it. Other non-4th circuit authority they relied on:

The Ninth Circuit, applying the Graham factors, held that officers who handcuffed an eleven-year-old child used excessive force. Tekle v. United States , 511 F.3d 839, 846 (9th Cir. 2007) ("He was cooperative and unarmed and, most importantly, he was eleven years old."); see also Ikerd v. Blair , 101 F.3d 430, 435 (5th Cir. 1996) (holding that officer used excessive force against ten-year-old girl under Graham analysis). In addition, the Eleventh Circuit has held that "handcuffing was excessively intrusive given [the arrestee’s] young age." Gray ex rel. Alexander v. Bostic , 458 F.3d 1295, 1300–01, 1306 (11th Cir. 2006) (denying qualified immunity to SRO who handcuffed nine-year-old student for five minutes). Several district courts have similarly held that young age is a "uniquely" or "highly relevant" consideration under Graham . See Kenton II , 2017 WL 4545231, at *9 (holding that handcuffing eight-year-old child violated constitution); Hoskins v. Cumberland Cty. Bd. of Educ., No. 13-15, 2014 WL 7238621, at *7, 11 (M.D. Tenn. Dec. 17, 2014) (noting that eight-year-old student "was a startlingly young child to be handcuffed"); see also James v. Frederick Cty. Pub. Sch., 441 F.Supp.2d 755, 757, 759 (D. Md. 2006) (concluding that handcuffing eight-year-old child suggested excessive force). Here, E.W. was only ten years old at the time of the arrest. She therefore falls squarely within the tender age range for which the use of handcuffs is excessive absent exceptional circumstances.

E.W. v. Dolgos, 884 F.3d 172 , 182 (4th Cir. 2018)

Here's the kicker, lol.

Even though the Court found an excessive force civil rights violation under the facts presented in E.W. v. Dolgos, given that none of the lawyers or judges involved found precedent sufficiently similar to the conduct involved, the Court granted qualified immunity to the police officer, but warned that “our excessive force holding is clearly established for any future qualified immunity cases involving similar circumstances. Id., 884 F.3d at 187.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.floridadaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Randolph-Bracy-1000x800.jpg

That bill was introduced by Sen. Randolph Bracy (D). He also introduces gun control every legislative session. A Republican Supermajority will not pass such a bill.
View Quote
Well then.  Fuck that guy and his bill.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've already explained that. Just goes over their heads.
View Quote
So what is the point? That a regular full time police officer can arrest 6 year olds because a union will protect their jobs? Is that really an argument any of you want to make?

If so... .

If not, explain yourselves. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
but warned that “our excessive force holding is clearly established for any future qualified immunity cases involving similar circumstances. Id., 884 F.3d at 187.
View Quote
But the union. And all the cops here saying this was appropriate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but warned that “our excessive force holding is clearly established for any future qualified immunity cases involving similar circumstances. Id., 884 F.3d at 187.
As long as the 11th hasn't said the same thing it's like it never happened.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at what I posted above.  This is Florida, right? That's 11th Circuit I believe:

Gray ex rel. Alexander v. Bostic , 458 F.3d 1295, 1300–01, 1306 (11th Cir. 2006) (denying qualified immunity to SRO who handcuffed nine-year-old student for five minutes).

Someone should probably read that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BRB.

Off to a third world country to recruit a team of 9 year old bank robbers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's just terrible that he doesn't have a union to protect him from poor decision making.
View Quote
Ah, right in the feels.  Wait, like me and the majority of cops he had no union.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So what is the point? That a regular full time police officer can arrest 6 year olds because a union will protect their jobs? Is that really an argument any of you want to make?

If so... .

If not, explain yourselves. Thanks.
View Quote
How many cops have unions?  Is it 60 some percent or 30 some percent?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Look at what I posted above.  This is Florida, right? That's 11th Circuit I believe:

Gray ex rel. Alexander v. Bostic , 458 F.3d 1295, 1300–01, 1306 (11th Cir. 2006) (denying qualified immunity to SRO who handcuffed nine-year-old student for five minutes).

View Quote
I can't wait for all the police officers to come back and admit they were wrong and this was a clear civil rights violation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How many cops have unions?  Is it 60 some percent or 30 some percent?
View Quote
You brought up the union aspect of this...

Do I need to get your quote from earlier to remind you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then it should also be addressed by state statute.  I get the issue before the court, but there is also legal precedence for when determining if someone was under arrest if they new they were under arrest and if their liberty to go was restricted.  The ultimate common standard for determining if a subject was under arrest is if they were in restraints and if they were advised they were under arrest.

I get what the court is saying, but the argument swings the other way in court arguments.  Perhaps they should legislate what age is the minimum standard for criminal intent and arrest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ah, right in the feels.  Wait, like me and the majority of cops he had no union.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should bring that up with Miami_JBT
If he was a full timer, he wouldn't have been fired. He would have been suspended and the union would have been dragged in.
Or the union president...
Because he was a reserve officer, he was not a member of the collective bargaining unit, and the police union didn’t represent him, Shawn Dunlap of the Fraternal Order of Police Orlando Lodge 25, said in an email Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You brought up the union aspect of this...

Do I need to get your quote from earlier to remind you?
View Quote
Please do bring up where I "brought up the union aspect of this"?

I'll be waiting a while to see where I introduced this subject to this topic...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Then it should also be addressed by state statute.  I get the issue before the court, but there is also legal precedence for when determining if someone was under arrest if they new they were under arrest and if their liberty to go was restricted.  The ultimate common standard for determining if a subject was under arrest is if they were in restraints and if they were advised they were under arrest.

I get what the court is saying, but the argument swings the other way in court arguments.  Perhaps they should legislate what age is the minimum standard for criminal intent and arrest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a disclaimer here, I haven't read the 11th circuit case. But I have read the 4th Circ. case.  It doesn't say that police can never handcuff a child of X age.  It just says you better have a good reason. Doing it just to scare the kid isn't gonna do it.  PC for an arrest? I would take that to mean that would be the same. So for future guidance, maybe don't arrest 6 year olds unless they're wielding nunchucks or something. And they're really big for their age.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
What does the opposite of at will mean in the context of being fired.

What EXACTLY did you mean by this post if you didn't mean a union would have likely protected him if he were full time?

Take your time. I have several hours of nothing to do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What EXACTLY did you mean by this post if you didn't mean a union would have likely protected him if he were full time?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I EXACTLY meant was this:  In Florida, reserve and auxiliary officers are at will employees, in that they are working of their own volition.  "At-will" in my state means in this case, with no long term contractual obligation in place for either the officer or the agency.  The volunteer may leave at their choosing and the agency may terminate their relationship without cause.

My original comment was directed at the fact that I was not surprised he was fired, as their is no necessity to have cause to "fire" the reserve and their is no appeal process for the reserve either.   It is very easy and can be common to see "at-will" employees or volunteers terminated at the blink of an eye if they are involved in a controversial situation or incident in my area.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If he had gotten permission to transport the girl elsewhere, common sense would be to get another officer to ride along without her cuffed if she wasn’t acting up.
You have to admit handcuffing a non-combative 6 year old is bad PR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does a 6 year old do that causes them to be arrested?

I'm pretty sure it's not angelic behavior

I'm pretty sure it's not angelic behavior
He didn't notify his supervisor prior to the arrest. That's what got him fired. He is a Reserve Officer and that means he worked at will for the agency. They could have terminated him for not shining his shoes. They shit canned him as a scapegoat due to the bad PR framed by the situation and media.
If he had gotten permission to transport the girl elsewhere, common sense would be to get another officer to ride along without her cuffed if she wasn’t acting up.
You have to admit handcuffing a non-combative 6 year old is bad PR
Imagine the PR when the kid says the cop touched her private parts during transport
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#49]
It takes a village to raise a child.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

At what age can we start arresting people for assault?

do we have to wait until they're 18?

10 years old?

who knows?!?!

View Quote
I believe if they can walk they can be cuffed and stuffed

I would wait until they are out of diapers to use a taser though
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top