Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those are cool, and if one wanted a Garand as a survival rifle, that would definitely be a cool option.

Some kind of shortened BM-59 would be awesome!  
View Quote

I always wanted to build an 18" M1 with an M1a gas system. That said, I agree that the "Only shoot M2 ball" notion is over blown. I've shot a shitload of 165 and 180 grain .30-06 in several M1 rifles. Had quite a few of the import garands and carbines back in the 90s.

The advantages of the AK are the size and weight. That's no doubt. The advantage of a 30rd mag is largely academic for such a scenario, imho.

Chuck Taylor reviewed the Springfield Armory M1 tanker in the 80s SWAT magazine. He flatly said, "If the balloon goes up, this rifle is the one I would choose". Now, that's just in a review article, I know. But he made several good points for such a choice.

I would consider myself well armed with either rifle. They will both absolutely get the job done so long as I do mine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm an AK fan, but don't especially like 7.62x39.  The sights on the garand are superb.  If I'm in a pack of folks, I'd go ak.  If I'm roughing it solo, or just a couple travellers, garand.  Try to keep my distance.
View Quote

I’d reverse this.  My area is both suburban city and farms.  If I knew I could connect with a reasonable local militia or my well-armed friends and keep the peace, I’d go with a Garand.  If I were by myself, there’s a lot of suburbia.  An AK would be a lot handier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me be the voice of reason.

An AK is an excellent short to mid range weapon.  It fires a decent cartridge and the gun is rugged, reliable and compact.  The piece is also reasonably handy.  The ammo is not as common as other rounds, but you may have a case or two in your basement.  I know that I do.

On the other hand, a .308 Garand is also an excellent weapon.  A .308 Garand can shoot any standard 150 grain or 165 grain factory round.  It is easy to buy a hundred en blocs and to load them up.   You can also buy a modern bandolier from Olangapo Outfitters and carry a clinton-load of ammo.  

My own .308 Garand has a chrome lined barrel and it is very easy to clean.  It also has a sweet trigger and great sights.  

An AK has a firepower advantage over an M1; however you can reload an M1 faster than you can an AK.

It all comes down to mindset and determination and what rifle you have.  Hector Cafferata defended the Chosin Reservoir with two Garands and he destroyed a company of enemy infantry.  But Cafferara was also a very serious, motivated man.

A serious motivated man, can do a lot of damage with either rifle.
So whatever rifle you have, learn to use it and focus on your mindset, mental focus and physical fitness.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t think I would be eager to hump a Garand and that heavy ammo over any long distances.  That’s the whole point of the “intermediate cartridge”, it’s good-enough for the vast majority of people and situations you are likely to encounter.  Advantage AK, especially if you have a large stash of polymer mags for it (since the Comblock metals ones are heavy.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How many rounds of 5.56 do you have?

Anyone who stockpiles 30-06 is absolutely also stockpiling something in a mag fed auto-loader flavor.
View Quote

I had my hunting rifle before my AR. I picked up my 30-06 stash at around $5 a box using specials and sales at Cabela’s about 16 years ago. I set up my rifle for a particular load and bought a lot of it. Outside of a class Fargo007 taught a decade ago, I use less than a box a year. I have maybe less than a 1000 rounds of 5.56. I shoot that a lot more. So, I always have about 250 rounds but rarely more than 1000.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Fluffy,
Is that Crabby?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fluffy,
Is that Crabby?
View Quote

No.  She's a young lady who cooks Bimba's lunch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had my hunting rifle before my AR. I picked up my 30-06 stash at around $5 a box using specials and sales at Cabela’s about 16 years ago. I set up my rifle for a particular load and bought a lot of it. Outside of a class Fargo007 taught a decade ago, I use less than a box a year. I have maybe less than a 1000 rounds of 5.56. I shoot that a lot more. So, I always have about 250 rounds but rarely more than 1000.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone who stockpiles 30-06 is absolutely also stockpiling something in a mag fed auto-loader flavor.

I have a decent amount of 5.56 - more than 1000 rounds, I'd say - but I have significantly more .303.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I chose Garand. I don't own an AK but I have three Garands. One from each manufacturer except Winchester.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Garand is actually an extremely reliable design.  Yes, there is an opening in the receiver where debris CAN enter the action, but in practice, it doesn’t seem to be a problem.  I’ve used/seen garands in very dirty conditions, and they generally work VERY reliably.
View Quote

Having shot a Garand in my time, the open action is far more annoying in slinging water and dirt on you, than jamming the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I love that!!

View Quote

There is a very good argument to made that the BM59 is a strong second place to the AR10 in period 7.62NATO rifles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know.  I think most of the people who worry about that have not actually shot one.
View Quote

No kidding. The big M1 barely rates on the scale of Milsurp Pain. Most of the .30+ caliber bolt-action carbines go from worse to much worse. The 8x56 Steyr M95 carbines and 8x50R Berthier carbines are especially bad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Garand but for the weight and ammo load out I would go with the Ak if they are the only 2 choices
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No kidding. The big M1 barely rates on the scale of Milsurp Pain. Most of the .30 caliber bolt-action carbines go from worse to much worse. The 8x56 Steyr M95 carbines and 8x50R Berthier carbines are especially bad.
View Quote

I wonder how many have shot the bolt actions.  I don’t have that wide of experience, but a .308 bolt action is stout, but not terrible.  A little experience, and it’s not a problem to plink away (though the cost per round isn’t exactly low).  Much easier to deal with than a 12 gauge, which is still doable (though my wife won’t touch one, preferring a 20).  Semi-autos are also generally easier to deal with, the force is partially absorbed or redirected by the reloading system.  Experience with the Garand, absolutely a concern, same with number of rounds in a clip.  The latter, and my immediate AO, are exactly why I’d prefer an AK - defending my loved ones would be a lot easier with the shorter and handier AK.  But the problem with recoil in the M14 was more an automatic controllability thing from what I’ve read, not shootability in semi-auto.  I wouldn’t expect problems with the Garand on that score.  And would be happy to have a nice piece of American steel by my side.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have a decent amount of 5.56 - more than 1000 rounds, I'd say - but I have significantly more .303.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a gun guy ever finds himself scavenging through my stash, he's going to be baffled at why I would have so much .303 Brit and 7.5 Swiss relative to my modest inventory of .223 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#19]
The AK was built for simplicity so some peasant from the Steppes that had never seen a horseless carriage could operate and maintain it. If simplicity, ease of use, ease of maintenance, ability to take abuse are the KPIs, I'm an AK guy all day long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I get the feeling I might be the ONLY person to vote for the Garand.  
View Quote

Please.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m going with one of my garand’s over an AK any day, and twice on Sunday. Also, there is an after market gas plug made to control rate of gas escape, which allows the garand to utilize any 30:06 ammo without being damaged...or so I’ve heard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've never put it on a timer, but think the m1 probably settles back on tgt faster than an ak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AK

I'm not going to pretend I'd be shooting at somebody 600 yards away and I damn sure don't want to be fucking around with that big, low capacity, high recoiling, outdated bastard at anything relatively close where you're FAR more likely to get to bump into some baddy.

I think some of you seriously over state the recoil of the M1.

I know.  I think most of the people who worry about that have not actually shot one.

I've never put it on a timer, but think the m1 probably settles back on tgt faster than an ak.

Paul Harrell did a comparison of the m1 and m14/m1a.  There is some ak shooting included.

https://youtu.be/y0rC-rJ_nIg?t=845
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m going with one of my garand’s over an AK any day, and twice on Sunday. Also, there is an after market gas plug made to control rate of gas escape, which allows the garand to utilize any 30:06 ammo without being damaged...or so I’ve heard.
View Quote

Schuster plug, already mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#25]
M1 Garand at speed. Hammered pair, speed reloads, plinking

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]
AK. That standoff thing won't last for long after the first shot and, at that point, I'd rather have rapid volume if I needed it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Garand is actually an extremely reliable design.  Yes, there is an opening in the receiver where debris CAN enter the action, but in practice, it doesn’t seem to be a problem.  I’ve used/seen garands in very dirty conditions, and they generally work VERY reliably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I understand, the design of the garand was problematic and led to a lot of jams in less than ideal conditions, which is what shtf would be.

I believe you.

As a garden variety bipedal hominid, dragging the rifle through dirt or mud and rendering its self-loading feature inoperable is not something I'd be overly concerned about.  Furthermore, I'd genuinely like to see some of the AARs that address M1 rifle malfunctions due to the ingestion of dirt, sand, or other debris into the action.  If is *was* a problem and identified, I doubt that the U.S. would have manufactured over 6,000,000 of them for use as service rifles from 1936 until the mid-1950s.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]
AK all the way.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Garands, but I wouldn’t want to have to hump one and a bunch of 30-06 ammo around, and the 8 round clips pretty much suck. Also for my area 7.62x39 will handle any game that I may come in contact with.

There is a reason you hardly ever seen any Garands being used by insurgent groups around the world, and it’s not due to a lack of numbers of them being produced.

It always gets me where many on this website think they Garand is God’s own personal rifle, but then go to tell you how the M-14 is a total POS.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#31]
AK. Accurate enough and ballistically adequate for hunting.

Ammo. 30-06 may be more popular for hunting but I guarantee there is more 7.62x39 out there. People don’t shoot 30-06 like they shoot 7.62x39.
There’s a crazy amount of that stuff imported every year.  

Mags. I rather have 30 rounds ready to go than 8. Having the ability to lay down a high volume of fire can make up for small number of shooters. The ability to continuously lay down a slow cadence of fire for a longer period of time.

I’m not in the I’ll shoot em at 600 meters because 30-06 camp. I rather wait tell they’re close and ambush them at short range to ensure they die and don’t break contact at 600. Then come back with their buddies. (That’s the plan anyways )

Low recoil because why have more if you don’t need to.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Go 1950's old school. A M1 modded to take BAR magazines
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#34]
If you think a Garand kicks hard, you need to change out your tampon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Who was it here that used to shoot a M1 in 3 gun?
View Quote

The guys at InRange have videos of them doing it. I know one year at IDARM we had an entire Squad of M1 Garand Shooters.

IDARM 2017 - M1 Garand Style - Stage 1

IDARM 2017 - M1 Garand Style - Stage 2 - Banzai Charge!

IDARM 2017 - M1 Garand Style - Stage 3 - Bunkers

IDARM 2017 - M1 Garand Style - Stage 4 - Steel Balls & M1s
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It won't, but the clips might.  Weakest link.
View Quote

If so - has anybody ever offered some sort of DBM modification ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Winchester M-1 Garand

Underwood M-1 carbine

Colt SP-1 carbine

Remington 870 Wingmaster

I think I’m good, hell I found two ammo cans full of M-2 Ball on Garand clips that I forgot I had.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go 1950's old school. A M1 modded to take BAR magazines
View Quote

That was attempted by Ordnance designers, but the spring in the unmodified BAR magazines wasn't powerful enough to push the cartridges to the top of the magazine before the bolt was returning into battery.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I would only choose a Garand if I lived in a very open environment with little concealment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If so - has anybody ever offered some sort of DBM modification ?
View Quote

Shuff's
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#41]
The “people” that fight from and live in caves use the AK.  I’d say living in a cave is darn close to being in a SHTF scenario
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Pick either one, then use it to get an AR in 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#45]
garand

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, unlike an AK, the Garand will probably never break!  

When was the last (or first) time you saw a Garand clip break? Those things are tough.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, but the scenario specifies a basic “factory” rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an interesting question.

Obviously, there are tons of AK variants in the US, so 7.62x39 would be pretty common.  But, .30-06 is a very popular hunting cartridge, so it probably wouldn't be impossible to find.

You can't just shoot whatever 30.06 ammo you want in a Garand.

Many hunting rounds have way more pressure than M2 ball ammo, which is what the Garand was designed for.  Watched a guy refuse to listen to advice and shot some of the 150gr PNC ammo in his rifle.  Blew it apart before he could get through a single enbloc.

For that reason, AK for me.  And I LOVE Garands.

The assumption in this scenario is that we start with TONS of ammo, so hopefully we would never even have to scrounge for any additional.

Still, it's a valid point, and certainly the AK would be able to easily handle pretty much ANY ammo.

... but there's also a lot of myth and dis-information about bent-oprods and stuff like that.  My impression (after reading a lot about it) is that most commercial hunting ammo will shoot fine in a Garand.  You will probably get some excess wear and tear over time, possibly erosion of the gas port, but it would be VERY ODD for a commercial 150gr. load to damage a Garand, especially to "blow it apart" .

schuster plug FTW

Yeah, but the scenario specifies a basic “factory” rifle.

Fuck your scenario. I'm getting my old Yugo M53 in 7.62 back. I'll be lord humongous of the TP wastelands.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top