BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Re: Robotech:Force of Arms

Quoted:
The outstanding voice cast is one part, but the other is around 6:30.  Not just the attack scene, but there's one particular moment in it which most people who've seen the series often refer to as uniquely startling for any genre or medium.

"How old are you?"

"Two"

BOOM!

I remember thinking way back when "this sure as fuck ain't GI Joe..."

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mal Reynolds would kick Han Solo's nuts up into his throat.

You know how we know that you have a case of the ghey?  

Han Solo would shoot him before he got the chance.

And how many unarmed people did Solo shoot in his movies? Did he toss any stormtroopers into the Falcon's engine?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]

ok, I'm an admitted sci fi geek, but wtf is the fascination with lexx??? it's an effin bug for a spaceship an besides the hot chick(who used to be fat) I do NOT see the fascination with the show. I tried, really, got through like 6 episodes, it sucked, unless you tell me they hired a new writing staff after that I do Not understand why that dumbass show keeps getting brought up. I might as well include quantum leap or seaquest by these standards

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]

oooooh, it was a contender between enterprise or imperial cruiser and suddenly a challenger appears I can't believe I forgot how good those ships looked.

this does not preclude the honorable mention for the battlestar class(awesome)

eta: best thread evar, very proud of arfcom's scifi geekiness

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And how many unarmed people did Solo shoot in his movies? Did he toss any stormtroopers into the Falcon's engine?

This.  Capt. Reynolds makes Han Solo look like the pussy that he is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Alll, I'm gonna say is that the dreadnought class makes any federation ship look like a dinghy, battlestars have no chance, SG1 faghetaboutait,

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Zeig Zeon.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Han talked to Greedo for several minutes before shooting him under the table. Cool guy line: "Sorry about the mess"
Mal walked up, shot the guy threatening Kaylee right in the noggin without slowing down or changing expression, then casually chucked the body out the hatch. Cool guy line: Threatening his crew doesn't earn you a clever quip.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The outstanding voice cast is one part, but the other is around 6:30.  Not just the attack scene, but there's one particular moment in it which most people who've seen the series often refer to as uniquely startling for any genre or medium.

"How old are you?"

"Two"

BOOM!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to go to the expanded universe (early novel....Han Solo at Stars End) to see the things that Han as done....Spaced a dude out an airlock....so yes...Han Solo has his moments.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Holy shit, Battle Beyond The Stars. I think this is the first time I've seen someone post that ship in one of these threads.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, can't believe someone else remembers Space: 1999!

Always liked the Whitestar:

And the Royal Cruiser:

ETA: Wow, putting that picture in caused a mountain of popups!
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"How old are you?"

"Two"

BOOM!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to go to the expanded universe (early novel....Han Solo at Stars End) to see the things that Han as done....Spaced a dude out an airlock....so yes...Han Solo has his moments.

I own a hardcover first printing of that book!

Also, I have to totally add my support to the Maccross/Robotech love. The way Roy Fokker goes out in Maccross (it was edited out of Robotech) was gutwrenching for a kid who absolutely idolized that guy. I thought Rick was a whiney bitch.

Also, Khyron is one of the most entertainingly batshit insane badguys ever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, obscure ship time?

The cover gives it away, but this thing was so drably utilitarian and so freakishly overpowered that it alone was considered sufficient to carry the most important entity alive in a universe that had been at war at least since Earth coalesced

Yeah, it looks like a blimp. Streamlined to reduce the friction from interstellar hydrogen
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Streamlined to reduce the friction from interstellar hydrogen

Fuck that. Scoop it and use it for fuel.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQjq-qzCPiNBtoVJeWCpYdIDuFJyFqCde-98AhrGoqH17OPSoF

Alll, I'm gonna say is that the dreadnought class makes any federation ship look like a dinghy, battlestars have no chance, SG1 faghetaboutait,

an if anyone counters with that godawful show lexx I'll skull f*CK you till your children remember it

what are you talking about? that thing was taken down by a single A-wing fighter!

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, obscure ship time?

The cover gives it away, but this thing was so drably utilitarian and so freakishly overpowered that it alone was considered sufficient to carry the most important entity alive in a universe that had been at war at least since Earth coalesced

http://www.ethanfleischer.com/lensman/dauntless.jpg

Yeah, it looks like a blimp. Streamlined to reduce the friction from interstellar hydrogen

I've read the entire series at least 5 times!  I very badly wanted a Lens as a kid.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Inefficient, and at those speeds it's essentially gamma rays rather than free hydrogen. The drivers use something like the energy released from several pounds of iron every second (in a pure mass to energy conversion E=MC^2) if I remember right... Maybe in a minute. Shit ton, anyway. Also uses the cosmos' latent background energy somehow.

ETA - Someone did the math and figured the "cosmic energy exciter screen" (which is about equivalent to the standard mass-energy generator, given that the Patrol and Boskonia uses both as appropriate) gives the energy equivalent to 1,814,369.5kg of matter per hour - or 1.63e24J per hour
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Another vote for the Event Horizon

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#28]

1960 Corvette Roadster
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRlHwwVIug

that was a great series, i cant understand why they cancelled it.  
I mean, if it was getting poor ratings or something like that, why did they make the movie a few years later?
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Earth Alliance ships from Babylon 5
Earth ships from Space Above and Beyond
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, can't believe someone else remembers Space: 1999!

Remembers it?

I've got all the episodes on DVD   (the British ones, not the shitty US DVD release)

"Dragon's Domain" episode scared the hell out of me as a kid.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Inefficient, and at those speeds it's essentially gamma rays rather than free hydrogen. The drivers use something like the energy released from several pounds of iron every second (in a pure mass to energy conversion E=MC^2) if I remember right... Maybe in a minute. Shit ton, anyway. Also uses the cosmos' latent background energy somehow.

ETA - Someone did the math and figured the "cosmic energy exciter screen" (which is about equivalent to the standard mass-energy generator, given that the Patrol and Boskonia uses both as appropriate) gives the energy equivalent to 1,814,369.5kg of matter per hour - or 1.63e24J per hour

I must leave the math to Robert Bussard or Larry Niven.

I am an ignoranimus on that topic

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#34]

That really surprised the hell out of me when I first saw that.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Somebody needs to make a good film adaptation of Fred Saberhagen's BERSERKER.

Agreed...or any of his books. I know what they look like in my head.

Picture something sleek and pretty. Pretty much the opposite of that.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#36]
While not the best looking, I would put a Royal Manticoran Navy Super Dreadnaught up against any ship so far mentioned.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Voyager

Bird of Prey

And the incredibly awesome Narada

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody needs to make a good film adaptation of Fred Saberhagen's BERSERKER.

Agreed...or any of his books. I know what they look like in my head.

Picture something sleek and pretty. Pretty much the opposite of that.

Something that looks like the Death Star, if it had endured several millenia of battle.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Yep, with lots of pokey shit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQjq-qzCPiNBtoVJeWCpYdIDuFJyFqCde-98AhrGoqH17OPSoF

an if anyone counters with that godawful show lexx I'll skull f*CK you till your children remember it

what are you talking about? that thing was taken down by a single A-wing fighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFNSVNQqfE

Only because the shield were taken out by a fleet of ships. The same thing would happen to any ship that just had its main command and control center taken out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#42]
THE ORIGINAL STREAM LINED KILLING MACHINE.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

THE ORIGINAL STREAM LINED KILLING MACHINE.
http://access.aasd.k12.wi.us/wp/baslerdale/files/2009/11/asteriods.jpg

PEW PEW PEW

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I can't believe no one but me remembers The Big Thruster.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#45]

What the hell? They made it symmetrical? The beauty of Caldari ships is their pure functionality. Being symmetrical doesn't matter in space.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Only because the shield were taken out by a fleet of ships. The same thing would happen to any ship that just had its main command and control center taken out.

nope fighters take out the sheild generators just before the A-wing crashes into the bridge.
even the entrprise-D has a second bridge
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#48]
My favorites

SSV Normandy

USS Daedalus

F-302 Intercetpor

USS Enterprise

Though there's no real pics of them, but the Manicoran Invictus class superdreadnought is pretty awesome (Honor Harrington series by David Weber).  Also, HIMP Dahak is an awesome ride too (Mutineer's Moon and sequels, also by David Weber).
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope fighters take out the sheild generators just before the A-wing crashes into the bridge.

even the entrprise-D has a second bridge

Which isn't manned unless they are going to run the drive section independently from the saucer section. Yeah, that second bridge did a lot of good for the Enterprise-D, the Odyssey, and the Yamato.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#50]
VIGER
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top