Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 normal sized adults can play twister in the back of one of these.

https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1973-Ford-LTD-Country-Squire.jpg
View Quote
Go on...
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because wagons and hatchbacks are extremely functional vehicles. They're more practical for the majority of people who end up buying SUVs and trucks. That is unless you really do want or need the extra space or an open bed.

It's like a sedan with a lot more storage space, but you still maintain a lot of sedan fuel efficiency and driving characteristics.
View Quote
Love my 2009 Saab Aero AWD wagon.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think it must be detuned or something because reading online it says it still does +8 second 0-60 times.

The new Onyx models are nice looking though.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394169/4B37F1C5-3868-4D80-B7FC-E4610C6C9A67-1171182.jpg
View Quote
Quoted:

The engines are the same. Both make 260hp.
View Quote
Subaru's are all detuned except for the WRX variants unfortunately I just love how utilitarian they are and love their AWD system. The Audi cars are much sexier but I know too many people that have had hugely expensive Audi money pits.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
They can’t buy VW busses anymore?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No.  They suck compared to a good wagon.  Most have less room than a station wagon while having a high center of gravity so they drive like a buggy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why crossovers are so popular. They're pretty much just a better station wagon
No.  They suck compared to a good wagon.  Most have less room than a station wagon while having a high center of gravity so they drive like a buggy.
No. They have a better seating position and more cargo space given equal wheelbases than a wagon. Two things the average driver cares about more than the near identical handling. The CG isn't nearly as affected as you think.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. They have a better seating position and more cargo space given equal wheelbases than a wagon. Two things the average driver cares about more than the near identical handling. The CG isn't nearly as affected as you think.
View Quote
The seating position of a crossover is by far the worst part of the vehicle.   Followed by horribly sloped A-pillars that block your view.  The short wheelbase is part of the stupid buggy ride, not a benefit.  And your right, most chicks are more interested in stuffing them full of shit they don't need from wallmart than noticing they drive like the high c.g. buggy monstrosities they are.

Mini vans are superior in every way to the cuv.  More room, better seating position, better ride, better handling and better looking though that's not something I would argue or brag about.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Wagons are handy. I grew up with wagons. The SUV is a wagon with a higher ride height. I would consider a big block Ford powered wagon like I grew up with at the right price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm on the hunt for a 1965 Pontiac Catalina Safari 421 tri-power 4-speed station wagon.
View Quote
There was a small block powered 4 speed wagon on BAT about a year and a half ago. It was a speed record car
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The seating position of a crossover is by far the worst part of the vehicle.   Followed by horribly sloped A-pillars that block your view.  The short wheelbase is part of the stupid buggy ride, not a benefit.  And your right, most chicks are more interested in stuffing them full of shit they don't need from wallmart than noticing they drive like the high c.g. buggy monstrosities they are.

Mini vans are superior in every way to the cuv.  More room, better seating position, better ride, better handling and better looking though that's not something I would argue or brag about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot of truth here, especially regarding minivans.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've almost bought one a couple times but just can't. Then when the new little cargo vans came out they intrigued me too and have more space and less stigma
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not entirely apples to apples, especially if we're talking about the compact CUV class that owns the market (CR-V/RAV4/Forester).

CUVs have a seating position that doesn't involve bending/squatting in and out of the vehicle. They have much better visibility than their sedan counterparts. Suspension tuning isn't all that appreciably different, either. It's not like the typical Camry/Malibu/Altima has crisp handling.

Minivans are more relevant when you get into the three row jobs, and that's a bigger tangent from this thread. I think the two biggest drivers of market popularity there are the perception of cool/trendy and the availability of AWD. The market demands it, and with few exceptions, the minivan segment fails to deliver it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What makes sedans, wagons and hatches cool is the guys running 7s, 8s and 9s in the 1/4 mile with them. How is that not cool?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sedans and wagons are both "nerdy" to me.

You simply don't fully comprehend the power of good and constant marketing. The proof? You have men talking about how cool their sedans, wagons and hatchbacks are.
What makes sedans, wagons and hatches cool is the guys running 7s, 8s and 9s in the 1/4 mile with them. How is that not cool?
It makes it a whole lot less cool with station wagon sheet metal.

Imagine a marketing campaign so powerful that it gets grown men to brag about their station wagons.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've almost bought one a couple times but just can't. Then when the new little cargo vans came out they intrigued me too and have more space and less stigma
View Quote
I don't get the stigma of a minivan.  They drive pretty damn good.  Ride nice.  Often decent acceleration.  Have way more room than even most large SUV's.  Are more convenient to load and get in and out of.  Get decent gas mileage.  I've even found them to have good snow traction.  I've never owned one, but when I go on vacation to someplace like a national park, I often rent one as my preferred vehicle.  Good rates.

Once when we were late to reach the airport, I extracted every living g out of a minivan to get there through mountain roads.  My wife said she never knew a minivan was such a high performance mountain vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, Boomer. They're called "estates"
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]
never cared for them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, Boomer. They're called "estates"
View Quote
While that term has existed in some badges/model names, the only people that actually call them that are from the island of yellow teeth.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wouldnt mind having this wagon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpQWt2nSsxw
View Quote
Would flog.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
My parents hauled us around the country in one like this. I also took my drivers test in it and passed on the first visit to DMV. I have a soft spot for them.

Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had one of these in the early 80s

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311920/th_35__jpg-1171068.JPG

That thing would go anywhere.
It got passed on to 3 different family members.
View Quote
Me too. Slammed with chrome 914 wheels resprayed guards red. All chrome removed, tinted windows and luggage rack.  Old ladies with COPD rocking walkers would smoke it.

Comments were either “lol! What a POS!” or “So how much would you take for it?”  No in between.

Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1973-Ford-LTD-Country-Squire.jpg
View Quote
In my youth, I found that two teenagers can do even more in the back of a big Old Vinyl Wood sided LTD wagon...
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Wagons have always been cool. I had a Volvo 240 turbo wagon that was great in the mountains with the turbo. And you could sleep in the back. Sleeper
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Sex in a sedan or coupe can be constraining and uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Sedan and wagon on same platform, I take the wagon everytime. More usable space, same size, comparable performance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I saw one of these earlier today, never saw one in the flesh before very cool. 440 sounded pretty healthy too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve carried tons of bulky items in my Forester.

A stand up Kendon motorcycle work stand.

42” sink base

4’ x 3’ welding table with a 1/2” top, that was heavy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Picture time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I love wagons, I still regret selling my 1989 Volvo 740 turbo wagon.
Now if only Mercedes would import the new A45S
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had a ‘69 with 429 CJ. 6 kids and a dog, plus luggage.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I like old wagons, nothing made in the last 45 years though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
My dad had one of those when I was in high school.  It wasn't fast but had enough balls to beat a Saab 900 turbo.  The kid I beat was kinda pissed
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#31]
What's not to like???
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Because they HAVE to be different - their whole self-validation involves telling themselves that everyone else are sheep and only they have taste.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because wagons and hatchbacks are extremely functional vehicles. They're more practical for the majority of people who end up buying SUVs and trucks. That is unless you really do want or need the extra space or an open bed.

It's like a sedan with a lot more storage space, but you still maintain a lot of sedan fuel efficiency and driving characteristics.
View Quote
This.

I'd have a station wagon in a hot second if I could afford one.  Family life
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I like my S4 Avant and I'm no hipster.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
so what you are saying is I should not buy one

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
always liked the Audi Allroad
So do mechanics. @AgeOne
so what you are saying is I should not buy one

The newer A4 allroads are pretty good.

The old a6 allroad.... Fantastic performance, very useful... But yeah, they are a bit maintenance intensive
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Why are people concerned with what other people drive?
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wagons have always been cool. I had a Volvo 240 turbo wagon that was great in the mountains with the turbo. And you could sleep in the back. Sleeper
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99195/IMG_4020_JPG-1171562.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99195/IMG_4021_JPG-1171563.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/99195/IMG_4019_JPG-1171564.JPG
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Wagons are nostalgia cars for Boomers, Gen-Xers and older Millennials.
BOOMERS

GEN-X

MILLENNALS
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#40]
How many boomer vehicle threads can one guy start in one weekend?
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Because they can look really good and fit a lot of shit.

Miss my 850 t5 wagon, great road car.

Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
70s suburbanite cherry buster right there
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]
The overwhelming majority of millennials, even the older ones, didn't have many big wagons like that in their lives.

Millennials grew up in minivans and SUVs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The overwhelming majority of millennials, even the older ones, didn't have many big wagons like that in their lives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I think they're about a generation off.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I frequently see multiples of these Dodge Magnum wagons on the road here in Missouri.

Didn't realize they made them up to 2008.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?dealerType=all&mdId=21411&mkId=20012&page=1&perPage=50&prMx=30000&rd=500&searchSource=PAGINATION&sort=price-lowest&zc=65761
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Passed a b&w one of those yesterday.  Beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Always thought this one was pretty badass.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Why wouldn’t you ? Oh yeah I’ll go be poor somewhere else.

Engine: 5,461cc, twin-turbo V8
Transmission: 7-speed automatic, rear-wheel drive
Power (hp): 585@5,500rpm
Torque (lb ft): 590@1,750-5,250rpm
MPG: 28.3 (NEDC combined)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#49]
My dad bought a cherry 69 Ford wagon just like this one back in the early 80's. I literally only had like 6K on the odometer. It was garage kept on one of the US Virgin islands since it was new. He kept it about a year and sold it. It was totally stock, but I always thought it would have looked badass with just a change of wheels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#50]
THEY'RE NOT WAGONS, THEY'RE SUV'S!!!!!!!!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top