Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spain washed their hands of it in 1897.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've often wondered that myself and I've always come to the same conclusion.  Puerto Rico should be given back to Spain.

Spain washed their hands of it in 1897.

And we should have minded our own business.  But the media (Hearst) pushed for intervention......hmm
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
They have better gun rights than some US States. No magazine capacity ban, no assault weapons ban, and SBR/SBS is not an NFA item.

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why do we keep half the morons of GD?
View Quote
to appease the other half
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's wrong with San Juan, or wrong with Santo Domingo? I'm not even sure what you mean by this? They're both substantially nicer than Baltimore, memphis, or New Orleans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would look like the Dominican Republic if it weren't for the mainlands teet.

What's wrong with San Juan, or wrong with Santo Domingo? I'm not even sure what you mean by this? They're both substantially nicer than Baltimore, memphis, or New Orleans.

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're exactly right, and absolutely none of this is covered in the MSM, ever. You'll never see it.

It could be argued that the nationalists actually succeeded because puerto rico is an enduring financial burden on the USA. They pay almost zero taxes, and minimum 42% of puerto ricans living on the island are on welfare.

They have a program there similar to SNAP but more like a dream come true....  it allows them to receive a large part of that benefit as cash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You wanna talk "Insurrection?"

In 1954 five puerto rican nationalists attacked the US Capitol with guns, shooting into the gallery from the balconies up above.

They hit several people including five members of congress but nobody died.
4 years before that a couple of PR nationalists made a determined assassination attempt on President Truman.
Starting in 1974, the FALN conducted a series of bombings in NYC, Chicago and DC.

You're exactly right, and absolutely none of this is covered in the MSM, ever. You'll never see it.

It could be argued that the nationalists actually succeeded because puerto rico is an enduring financial burden on the USA. They pay almost zero taxes, and minimum 42% of puerto ricans living on the island are on welfare.

They have a program there similar to SNAP but more like a dream come true....  it allows them to receive a large part of that benefit as cash.
2 excellent books:
American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill President Truman by Stephen Hunter and Days of Rage by Bryan Burroughs about the explosion of left wing terrorism across the US through the late 60s and 70s and how it has been memory holed.
Burroughs also wrote the damning Public Enemies about the FBI and the road bandits of the 30s and the monstrous abuses by Hoover et al.

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've spent many a day and night in PR.  It wasn't until my 5th trip there that the locals let me drive a car around by myself.  Up to that point I was always driven everywhere by one of the locals.
View Quote

Well for one very imprtant reason.  The citizens of Puerto Rico are Americans, just like those of the 50 states, D.C. and all of the other territories and protectorates.  Sad thing is the territories and protectorates do not have members of the legislature, and do not vote in the US. general election (they do vote in party primaries).

So they are US residents that are treated like red headed step children and folks wonder why there is animosity on their part.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You wanna talk "Insurrection?"

In 1954 five puerto rican nationalists attacked the US Capitol with guns, shooting into the gallery from the balconies up above.

They hit several people including five members of congress but nobody died.
View Quote

IIRC, Obama pardoned them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well for one very imprtant reason.  The citizens or Puerto Rico are Americans, just like those of the 50 states, D.C. and all of the other territories and protectorates.  Sas thing is the territories and protectorates do not have members of the legislature, and do not vote in the US. general election (they do vote in party primaries).

So they are US residents that are treated like red headed step children and folks wonder why there is animosity on their part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've spent many a day and night in PR.  It wasn't until my 5th trip there that the locals let me drive a car around by myself.  Up to that point I was always driven everywhere by one of the locals.

Well for one very imprtant reason.  The citizens or Puerto Rico are Americans, just like those of the 50 states, D.C. and all of the other territories and protectorates.  Sas thing is the territories and protectorates do not have members of the legislature, and do not vote in the US. general election (they do vote in party primaries).

They vote to stay a commonwealth. All the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they haven't.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Having PR a part of the US means the US gets to decide which foreign countries' military aircraft have landing rights in PR.

In unrelated news, Vladimir Putin is evil commie filth with delusions of having an air force and a navy, and China is asshoe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are we currently taking measures to keep it afloat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no one wants it. It should be allowed to sink into the ocean.

Are we currently taking measures to keep it afloat?

Seems we are:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=federal+aid+to+puerto+rico&ia=news
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My company has an electronics manufacturing plant site down there. It’s kind of a shit show. I can only imagine there are significant tax advantages to being there.
View Quote

Isn't the main plant for synthroid also down there?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When me and my wife got married (90’s) we flew to Puerto Rico to go on a cruise.  On the drive

from the airport to the cruise ship I saw some buildings with bars on the windows going up to the

third floor.  I told my wife that I had not even seen that in Memphis.
View Quote

@alpharph

Did they also do the walls topped with broken glass bottles thing too?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I worked in PR in ‘88 & ‘89, and again for a while in ‘91. I worked for a U.S. oil company. The PR’s I worked with were good people that took me in and treated me fair and looked out for me. They told me where not to go and took me places with them & their families. This was on the south side of the island. They always said to stay out of San Juan. Several were US veterans. Even back then I asked them about guns, gun rights and gun laws. They all had guns, and were law abiding people. Obviously they were blessed to be working with good pay as they worked for the same US company that I did. Many of their extended family members weren’t as fortunate. Crime in PR was bad back then, it’s much, much worse now. There was no middle class there, a few islanders had good jobs, the rest are very poor. Back then the locals told me that there were 10 million PR’s; 3 million on the island, and 7 million in NJ & NY. I’ve stayed in touch with a handful of them, but haven’t seen them in decades. Nature wise, it’s a beautiful place, but poverty and crime is rampant.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@alpharph

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When me and my wife got married (90’s) we flew to Puerto Rico to go on a cruise.  On the drive

from the airport to the cruise ship I saw some buildings with bars on the windows going up to the

@alpharph

I honestly don’t remember.  What stuck with me were the bars on third story windows.

They must have some very determined burglars there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I honestly don’t remember.  What stuck with me were the bars on third story windows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@alpharph

What you said reminded me of the glass on the walls thing.

It was almost completely universal in all of the area of mexico that I visited decades ago.

Everywhere that could scrape together the money had cinder block walls, all the way around, minimum 12 feet tall, and *thickly* topped with broken glass bottles set into the mortar at the top. The places with more resources put barbed or concertina wire rolls along with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It would look like the Dominican Republic if it weren't for the mainlands teet.

View Quote
You mean Haiti?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#20]
We love shit holes
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How badly do you get dragged in their legal system for good shoots?
View All Quotes
Better self-defense laws than NY or NJ. They have castle doctrine and shitbags has been getting smoked often since they went to shall issue in December 2019.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I honestly don't remember.  What stuck with me were the bars on third story windows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When me and my wife got married (90's) we flew to Puerto Rico to go on a cruise.  On the drive

@alpharph

I honestly don't remember.  What stuck with me were the bars on third story windows.

No, that is not done there. But when you land at San Juan and go to the Cruise Port, you drive through the ghetto. West of San Juan is Dorado, a very wealthy beachside community. East of San Juan is Carolina, a working class neighborhood. Further west is Luquillo, more of a middle class beachside community.

San Juan is like any major city, good and bad. But if you actually leave San Juan and explore the entire island, you'll see it isn't bad. My favorite place is Cabo Rojo down in the southwest.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Cabo Rojo has that great little beach, and some swampy little beer joints along the dirt road approach.

Then there's El Combate and Boqueron not too far from there

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285/41285A58-520F-4683-9D0F-3692373788A0-2948874.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285/6DF22277-7684-47AB-A13C-F138C7A67BFB-2948875.jpg
View Quote
Playa Sucia is fantastic....

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Against who? Jamaica?

The DR is the only useful area down there, they have the biggest military of all the islands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has strategic value for our country’s defense.  Beyond that it’s a drain on our overall economy.

Against who? Jamaica?

The DR is the only useful area down there, they have the biggest military of all the islands.

Really?  Here’s a hint, it’s not the people or things on the island that are of value.  It’s just the island itself and its potential as a forward operating base.  Same with Guam, American Samoa, and numerous other islands that are territories of the US.  Ever play Risk as a kid?  It’s kind of like that. Strategic value.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do we keep California as a part of The USA?
View Quote

Feel free to explain why your state should be kept…….
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well for one very imprtant reason.  The citizens of Puerto Rico are Americans, just like those of the 50 states, D.C. and all of the other territories and protectorates.  Sad thing is the territories and protectorates do not have members of the legislature, and do not vote in the US. general election (they do vote in party primaries).

View Quote

Why?  They don’t pay taxes,  but half the island is on welfare
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why?  They don't pay taxes,  but half the island is on welfare
View Quote
Says someone from Alabama. You're in the top ten states that are a drain on federal coffers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Really?  Here’s a hint, it’s not the people or things on the island that are of value.  It’s just the island itself and its potential as a forward operating base.  Same with Guam, American Samoa, and numerous other islands that are territories of the US.  Ever play Risk as a kid?  It’s kind of like that. Strategic value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has strategic value for our country’s defense.  Beyond that it’s a drain on our overall economy.

Against who? Jamaica?

Vieques was closed decades ago. Is rosy roads still in use?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Says someone from Alabama. You're in the top ten states that are a drain on federal coffers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000009586_jpg-2948906.JPG
View Quote

Huh - Commiefornia is #48 of 51 on that list.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000009586_jpg-2948906.JPG

California is an absolutely gigantic economy. Yes they're gay but the state produces a fuck ton of things from agriculture to tech
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Orlando, Fl is the new Puerto Rico. Most aggressive drivers out there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Orlando, Fl is the new Puerto Rico. Most aggressive drivers out there.
View Quote

LoL last time I rented a car in Pureto Rico the locals had 6 lanes of traffic on a 2 lane road. It was an order of magnitude more nuts then any US city i've ever been in. They literally don't care about lane markers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#35]
But the food
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How are SBR and SBS not NFA items? It is US territory.
View All Quotes

You see, somehow the Constitution magically works with territories but not with the states that founded and contributed to the federal government.

If this seems stupid and gay, you would be right and you can join me to go piss on Hamilton's grave amongst others
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Feel free to explain why your state should be kept  .
View Quote
insert secessionist meme here
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You see, somehow the Constitution magically works with territories but not with the states that founded and contributed to the federal government.

If this seems stupid and gay, you would be right and you can join me to go piss on Hamilton's grave amongst others
No taxation without representation. When the NFA was written, they wrote that in it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No taxation without representation. When the NFA was written, they wrote that in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah

So they get the benefit of US protection with none of the gayness.

Seems fair
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like how a lot of the women have big asses myself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I know it's wikipedia and they can be wrong more often then not but for what it's worth heres a link to Gun Laws in PR
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Many American politicians love the welfare state.

Every person I have ever met that has family that was born in PR but who was born here identifies as Puerto Rican and not American. Even my seasonal neighbor identifies as being Puerto Rican despite the fact that he was born here and served in the US Army. Apparently the PR tax man does not talk to the IRS because he sold a building in PR for a huge profit and no one in either country asked a single question.
View Quote

This has been my experience. They hate america. F them
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#43]
We loved PR during the times we've been, but we haven't been back since Maria.

Is it getting back to "normal" yet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Now do Texas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every person I have ever met that has family that was born in PR but who was born here identifies as Puerto Rican and not American. Even my seasonal neighbor identifies as being Puerto Rican despite the fact that he was born here and served in the US Army. Apparently the PR tax man does not talk to the IRS because he sold a building in PR for a huge profit and no one in either country asked a single question.

Now do Texas
Austin/Houston/SanAntonio/Dallas aINt TeXAs!
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ah

Seems fair
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah

Seems fair
Not really, the Insular Cases state the Constitution does not follow the Flag. You don't have Constitutional Rights in Puerto Rico.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not really, the Insular Cases state the Constitution does not follow the Flag. You don't have Constitutional Rights in Puerto Rico.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah

Seems fair

Neither do we
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
We should not. Give it to Haiti
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Now do Texas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now do Texas

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#50]
In for the yearly Puerto Rican hate thread.  I grew up on the island,  born and raised.  We have a ton of issues as any place does. But our people serve our country as much as anyone and am proud to be a part of the United States.  Don't want to hear shit about how fucked up PR is when y'all let Joe and the Hoe in the office,  Obama el maricon is still running around, Dylan Mulvaney is all over your TV, New Orleans, Houston and Memphis are like war zones, and our federal debt clock runs faster than your moms drawers falling on the floor.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top