Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP also believes the world is going to end in 12 years.
View Quote
What a dummy, right?  If the Democrats steal the 2020 election we have 3-4 years tops.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I seriously had to stop reading the article immediately after the first argument by the author came up..... "It's too complex."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Straight from 2005.   Bullshit article.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It’s shorter while sacrificing ambidextrous use as all side ejecting bull pups do, which is a huge net negative.

It has terrible accuracy, is not as reliable, is awful suppressed, significantly heavier and less ergonomic.

I’d take an AK over a Tavor and I hate AKs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Tavor IS shorter than an M-4gery.
That is important to some folks, and not to others.

Don’t let the your AR-worship blind you to everything...

ETA:  I don’t have a Tavor, nor do I have any plans to get one.  I am pointing out, that in at least one way, the Tavor could be considered “better”.
It’s shorter while sacrificing ambidextrous use as all side ejecting bull pups do, which is a huge net negative.

It has terrible accuracy, is not as reliable, is awful suppressed, significantly heavier and less ergonomic.

I’d take an AK over a Tavor and I hate AKs.
I absolutely DGAF about Tavors, one way or the other.  I am just pointing out one difference with the M-4gery.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL I guess I'll throw my AR15s away since a dude claiming to be a green beret on the internet told me they were trash.

That article was full of derp.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There is no delay in the bolt moving during the extraction phase and this causes tremendous mechanical resistance. When the bolt carrier begins to move, it tries immediately to turn the bolt without first gaining momentum. If the bolt is stuck to the inside of the chamber due to fouling (or crap ammo like in Vietnam) then there is often not enough energy to knock the bolt back into rotation. There’s no “running start” to dislodge the bullet before turning the bolt. Almost all battle rifles, like the M14, M1 and AK use a delayed rotating bolt. The mass of the bolt carrier, once in motion, wants to stay in motion and hits the bolt like a hammer, knocking it into rotation and into extraction. Not so for the AR-15.
View Quote
The delay is supposed to come from the length of the gas tube.  Extraction issues (On ARs) generally only happen on carbine or shorter gas tubes.  Stay with middy or rifle, and it will never fail you.  You will have longer bolt life, as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
DAng. When did he go through? I really have no idea. Was never much of a follower
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, Larry Vickers went straight from AIT to Jump School to SF.
DAng. When did he go through? I really have no idea. Was never much of a follower
@WildBoar

It was the early to mid 80's. Back then, they had a program very similar to the 18X enlistment option. You did Infantry AIT, Jump School, and then the Q-course. They were called "baby SF" somewhat derisively due to their young age compared to most traditional SF. According to an interview I'd read, he had decided SF wasn't for him, so he got out of the Army. When he made inquiries into Delta Force, he found out that you had to be currently serving in order to join, so he reenlisted and applied for DFAS (Delta Force Assessment and Selection). He was selected, attended and graduated the Operator's Course, and served with Delta until he retired due to the wear and tear on his body.

When I considered applying for DFAS in 2001, you could attend DFAS and the Operator's Course with any MOS, and selection and completion of the Operator's Course meant a three year PCS assignment to 1st SFOD-D in whatever MOS you were, with a duty assignment as an Operator. If you wanted to stay after those three years, you had to change your MOS to either a CMF 11 or 18 MOS if it were something else up to then. If you opted for an 11-series MOS, it would be awarded immediately. If you opted for an 18-series MOS, you had to attend that MOS's Q-course. If you applied to 1st SFOD-D in a support function, you were assigned on three year PCS orders without going through DFAS or the O Course. If you chose to stay longer, and were allowed to do so, you stayed in your MOS without need to change to Infantry or SF, as you would be doing whatever that MOS does, whether it's as a cook, wheeled vehicle mechanic, or PAC clerk.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
youre about to see a bunch of retards REEEEEing because of the ak mud test.

"WASNT A REAL RUSSIAN AK"

"NOT REAL WARSAW PACT SPEC MUD"

"WASNT AMMO HANDLOADED USING MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOVS IMPACTED ANUS TO SEAT THE BULLETS"
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
That dude is a fucking tard.
ARs are cheap, light, ergonomic, accurate, and powerful enough for people and most NA game.

At current prices you can afford to stock doubles and replacement parts for anything that might fail.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"WASNT AMMO HANDLOADED USING MIKHAIL KALASHNIKOVS IMPACTED ANUS TO SEAT THE BULLETS"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The only problem with those tests is that I can't see any circumstance where I will be filling my gun with mud., regardless of whether it's an AR or AK.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Apparently the author knows even less about rifles than he does combat medicine.
View Quote
He is also a complete retard when it comes to statistics.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thing about AR-15s, they are modular, replacement parts are easy to find and affordable. If you have multiples it's easy to scavenge parts from one to make another whole.

Cheap, Accurate, Reliable- very few firearms have these same characteristics in the same qualities.
A SCAR light might be accurate and reliable, but it's not cheap.
Robinson Arms XCR might be accurate, but it's not always reliable and it's not cheap
XM8.... lol
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Biggest gripe I have with the AR is malfunction remedies CAN be a PITA...

The way the AR is designed if something locks up the rifle while the bolt is out of battery then you have an instant club. You're not getting that bitch part once the BCG has entered the buffer tube even slightly. There isn't a hell of a lot of room within the rifle to access  potential trouble areas around the locking lugs/barrel extension. Making cleaning a chore as compared to some other designs with more internal room or a separate removable dust cover that allows access to the internals without complete field stripping of the rifle.

For those reasons I'll stay a fan of the AK.

The AK is cavernous internally as compared to the AR. You can literally take a stick or similar long pointed object to knock debris that is screwing with the FCG out of the rifle simply by popping the topcover and having a look around inside for a quick diagnosis of the problem. If the AK locks up in battery for some reason a boot or hammer can be used to successfully knock the BCG open. AK cleaning can be done with the most MINIMAL of cleaning gear. There are no holes in the BCG to conduct spent gases thru needing to be scrubbed of carbon, no "cotter pin" needing to be removed for access to cleaning the BCG, no gas rings to wear out. You wipe it off with a rag, with some solvent on it if you want to be picky. Punch the bore with brush included in the buttstock cleaning kit and cleaning rod carried on the rifle & done.

Anybody that has ever cleaned an AR knows the drill for field stripping & cleaning. Compared to the AK it's a bit tedious with special chamber brushes to scrub the locking lugs, cotter pins that must be removed to allow the FP to drop so the cam pin can be rotated to allow bolt removal. BCG is a carbon magnet. Also the AR prefers to run "wet", which is fine as long as you can pick up lube everywhere. I've used grease in an AR as an experiment and made an absolute mess when it came time to clean it, no matter how thinly it was applied.

As already pointed out, AR mags can have issues when dropped loaded. AK mags seem not to have that issue so that you could beat someone to death with a loaded mag and then use it in the gun successfully.

AKs can have their issues as well but being difficult to maintain isn't one them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The way the AR is designed if something locks up the rifle while the bolt is out of battery then you have an instant club. You're not getting that bitch part once the BCG has entered the buffer tube even slightly. There isn't a hell of a lot of room within the rifle to access  potential trouble areas around the locking lugs/barrel extension. Making cleaning a chore as compared to some other designs with more internal room or a separate removable dust cover that allows access to the internals without complete field stripping of the rifle.

The AK is cavernous internally as compared to the AR. You can literally take a stick or similar long pointed object to knock debris that is screwing with the FCG out of the rifle simply by popping the topcover and having a look around inside for a quick diagnosis of the problem. If the AK locks up in battery for some reason a boot or hammer can be used to successfully knock the BCG open. AK cleaning can be done with the most MINIMAL of cleaning gear. There are no holes in the BCG to conduct spent gases thru needing to be scrubbed of carbon, no "cotter pin" needing to be removed for access to cleaning the BCG, no gas rings to wear out. You wipe it off with a rag, with some solvent on it if you want to be picky. Punch the bore with brush included in the buttstock cleaning kit and cleaning rod carried on the rifle & done.

Anybody that has ever cleaned an AR knows the drill for field stripping & cleaning. Compared to the AK it's a bit tedious with special chamber brushes to scrub the locking lugs, cotter pins that must be removed to allow the FP to drop so the cam pin can be rotated to allow bolt removal. BCG is a carbon magnet. Also the AR prefers to run "wet", which is fine as long as you can pick up lube everywhere. I've used grease in an AR as an experiment and made an absolute mess when it came time to clean it, no matter how thinly it was applied.

As already pointed out, AR mags can have issues when dropped loaded. AK mags seem not to have that issue so that you could beat someone to death with a loaded mag and then use it in the gun successfully.

AKs can have their issues as well but being difficult to maintain isn't one them.
View Quote
Horseshit.

Basic “keep the gun running” maintenance requires the same stuff with an AK or an AR.

More advanced “change or replace parts” maintenance for the AR requires a hell of a lot less specialized equipment than the AK.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s because they have to. A lower end AR depending on the brand is often the equal of top of the line Other-Rifles.

Any nice AR is so significantly better they have to just ignore them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems whenever these criticisms come up, they usually cherry-pick bottom of the barrel ARs and compare them to top of the line Other-Rifles.
It’s because they have to. A lower end AR depending on the brand is often the equal of top of the line Other-Rifles.

Any nice AR is so significantly better they have to just ignore them.
20,000 Rounds Through An Knight's Armament SR-15 MOD2...Now With SAND!!!!!

https://vimeo.com/114095244
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why would you use a firearm in a SHTF situation that would be hard as hell to scrounge basic replacement parts for including magazines? The AR is probably the easiest rifle you'll ever find to scrounge parts for if you prepped and the SHTF plus the cheapest to stockpile a few parts for.
View Quote
This man speaks truth
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Horseshit.

Basic “keep the gun running” maintenance requires the same stuff with an AK or an AR.

More advanced “change or replace parts” maintenance for the AR requires a hell of a lot less specialized equipment than the AK.
View Quote
Bullshit.

You get that BCG into the buffer tube & jammed at the lucking lugs with something like a popped primer or similar. Your ass is doing NOTHING in the field with that gun without some actual tools. Gun won't even hinge open at that point...Tap, rack, bang ain't fixing that shit. Possibly same if something gets into the FCG, you'll be disassembling the entire FCG to get whatever jammed it up out of there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You don’t maintain AKs you throw them away.

Disposable guns designed for disposable people.
View Quote
Nope....You cut them up and sell them to Americans who rebuild them into BFPU rifles for profit.

ETA; AK is like Phoenix, comrade...Rises from ashes to be reborn anew & soldier on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only problem with those tests is that I can't see any circumstance where I will be filling my gun with mud., regardless of whether it's an AR or AK.
View Quote
Perhaps the "circumstance" will take care of that for you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’m not even gonna give that article a click

The AR 15 is a phenomenal platform

Your house isn’t Nam

Get PSA uppers and lowers and spend your money on a BCG, Optic and a Light.

Save money, Save your life, save a horse ride a cowboy
View Quote
This is about the dumbest post I've read today.

Yes, the AR15 is phenomenal when its a QUALITY AR, but going to the bargain bin for a weapon you're going to use to defend yourself is all sorts of stupid...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

You get that BCG into the buffer tube & jammed at the lucking lugs with something like a popped primer or similar. Your ass is doing NOTHING in the field with that gun without some actual tools. Gun won't even hinge open at that point...Tap, rack, bang ain't fixing that shit. Possibly same if something gets into the FCG, you'll be disassembling the entire FCG to get whatever jammed it up out of there.
View Quote
Don’t shoot commie trash ammo and you’re more likely to be struck by lightning while riding a unicorn than to get a popped primer into the BCG system.

And the AR FCG is much simpler to remove, fix, and replace than the AK.  5.56 round and a few minutes is all you need.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just curious, but how many spare parts do you think you will find laying around for that Tavor or SCAR?
View Quote
If you're basing your SHTF plans around "finding" spare parts and or bartering for parts or ammunition then you've already failed right out of the gate...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

AKs are unreliable trash.
View Quote
Not true of the high end ones build by reputable people here in the states.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great thing about AR-15s, they are modular, replacement parts are easy to find and affordable. If you have multiples it's easy to scavenge parts from one to make another whole.

Cheap, Accurate, Reliable- very few firearms have these same characteristics in the same qualities.
A SCAR light might be accurate and reliable, but it's not cheap.
Robinson Arms XCR might be accurate, but it's not always reliable and it's not cheap
XM8.... lol
View Quote
Agreed on the other points, but, as for the bolded part in red, please go on...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]
The author
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I bought a Field Repair Kit I've never needed.
View Quote
The only time I needed any thing in my spare parts collection is when I "misplaced" a front takedown detent.

commence launch procedure........SPOING....

As a trained and battle hardened member of the dog poop scooper home division, I've shot thousands and thousands (did I mention thousands) of rounds and never had a malfunction that wasn't a mag issue out of dozens of home brew ARs.

The AR is awesome. The author needs to show us where the AR touched him.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, the AR15 is phenomenal when its a QUALITY AR, but going to the bargain bin for a weapon you're going to use to defend yourself is all sorts of stupid...
View Quote
Meh, a PSA rifle is just fine. For that matter, so is a Poverty Pony lower.

Put in a decent BCG and trigger parts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What other weapons of its class have you experienced that you think are better than the AR15?
http://i67.tinypic.com/viciee.jpg
Better buy lots of firing pins................
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Meh, a PSA rifle is just fine. For that matter, so is a Poverty Pony lower.

Put in a decent BCG and trigger parts.
View Quote
I should've been more specific in that it's what's inside that really counts  Notice you said a decent BCG and trigger parts....the heart of the system, no?  A stripped lower and upper by themselves can come from just about anywhere as it's never the lower or upper receiver that fails, it's the internals.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
When were Ar15s used in the military?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Completely ridiculous argument. They run just fine, are accurate, can fill a bunch of different roles from up close to pretty decent range with the right ammo. Considering the amount of ARs in the country, probably more mags and ammo for it to scrounge than anything else if need be. So where is the argument against?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
But muh PSA is just as good as a KAC! JUST AS GOOD!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#40]
@HendersonDefense  AR or AK?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Project Agile.

Also, Delta Force used AR15s in Mogadishu.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Horseshit.

View Quote
Brass over bolt.  Doesn’t even register as an issue with most guns, but it is on the AR.

So we can redesign the hand guards to have freefloat barrels, but a small modification to prevent Brass over bolt is utterly beyond us...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well for what most people do with their AR there's no difference. Don't need a KAC to go shoot twice a year from a bench at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]
By that logic, a Chinese hand cannon is the best weapon for shtf.

In reality, having a spare bolt, firing pin, and a cotter pin or two and some lube will keep an AR15 running for a very long time.

If the platform is to complicated, train more or go sit in the corner.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you need for shtf is an HK91, some face paint, and a first aid kit.
https://i.imgur.com/9BoqMok.jpg
Don't forget the rope.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Brass over bolt.  Doesn’t even register as an issue with most guns, but it is on the AR.

So we can redesign the hand guards to have freefloat barrels, but a small modification to prevent Brass over bolt is utterly beyond us...
View Quote
Yup. I don't really need to argue it because I've seen it happen. Not often, but it has happened. Rifle locked up tight, BCG slightly OOB, gun WILL NOT OPEN. Period. At that point ther's little you can do without breaking out some tools to see what can be made to move to possibly break things loose. We won't get into broken bolts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Project Agile.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Project Agile.

Technically, all M16 and M4 variants are AR15s. The AR15 is merely the development identifier for it per Armalite.

All M16s and M4s are AR15s not all AR15s are M4s or M16s though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
It started about 1962 I think.

They were later given military model designations of course...
XM16 and then then finally M16 and M16A1 both in 1967.

There may still be some lowers marked AR-15 in service with the USAF and/or the service academies. I have some marked AR-15 PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT. M16 in my armory that transferred from USAF inventory in 2007.

Here's one:
Attachment Attached File

Colt's model number for the M16 was 604.

The M16A1 was Colt model 603 because the changes to the Colt Model 02 (602) that the US Army requested were incorporated first.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
As a active 3-Gun shooter I burn fuck tons of 5.56.  Know how I clean my ARs?

I generally don't. When I do, I hose them off with contact cleaner, lube and done.

Do you just like wasting time, or what?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
the AR is not the best rifle there is. But it's cheap, easy, good enough, light, and ammo is OK. it's a compromise, and it's barbie for men. the best? no. good enough? you betcha
View Quote
Well said.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top