Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel bad for people that have to count calories and piss on strips and log every morsel just to not be morbidly obese. Sorry ‘bout your horrible genetics.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel bad for people that have to count calories and piss on strips and log every morsel just to not be morbidly obese. Sorry 'bout your horrible genetics.
View Quote
What diet is that?

That's what I loved about doing keto, I just ate meat and cheese all the time and lost a lot of fat while gaining muscle from the hard ass work I was doing.

I mean shit, I literally just ate taco's, or steak, or pepperoni and salami with pepperjack.  It was fucking rad, the only downside it was expensive vs eating cheap filler.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Caloric restrictions utilizing only one single macro would cause weight loss but wouldn't be the healthiest option, exactly because of the nutritional makeup of each macro.

Calories in calories out isn't about that, though. CICO says to eat a balanced diet and worry about your total energy intake vs outtake. The significance of this is that you don't have to completely change your diet, just eat less of the diet you already eat.

The key to weight loss will ALWAYS be because of an energy balance. There is no getting around that fact. CICO works on energy balance, Keto works on energy balance, low fat/high carb works on energy balance; they all work for the exact same reason.

What you eat to affect that energy equation is up to you.
View Quote
Wow. . . . you know, this would all be true, except hormones.  Shucks.

If you crave more calories than you need, there's something wrong.  What caused that? Why would millions of humans relatively suddenly start eating much more food than they need?

CICO has ruled for decades.  We are fatter than ever.  How come?

If only people really were perfect little machines. . . . with no metabolism, no hormones. . . . . well, for example, men and women would have similar tendencies to gain weight at certain ages, in the same places. . . gosh, it's almost like CICO doesn't quite explain the whole thing!!!!  Weird.

What changed 40 years ago that suddenly made us get fat?  Oh yeah, we were all suddenly told that FAT is the debbil, and carbs are no problem.  Weird.  Coincidence.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What a day. I finished with close to 2,000 calories eaten. I was very satisfied with what we ate today. I even indulged in the coconut mousse from Salt Traders which was amazing.

I burned over 700 calories today from all my combined physical activity including a long walk after dinner with the dog once it had cooled off.

Going to sleep now with Stargate.

I expect I’ll maintain my weight through tomorrow or maybe I’ll get lucky and drop another lb.

I’m just ecstatic I didn’t eat anything from McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, Pizza Hut, or Whataburger today. That’s the shit that has been killing me. Only drinking water, too. No more soda.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Love the whole "balanced diet" thing.  What's balanced?

If Phillip Morris got hold of .gov and convinced them to tell you that a "balanced' consumption of tobacco was, say, 15 cigarettes a day. . . would you buy it?

If you're young and healthy and male and a little pudgy, then CICO can work for you.  Otherwise, if you've been eating Cap'n Crunch for breakfast and hi carbs all day for decades, CICO will be misery and your likelihood of failure is off the charts.

For most Americans, carbs fucked us up.  For most Americans, carbs are the problem, and the solution.

But you do you.  It worked for me.  I don't care whether you try it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow. . . . you know, this would all be true, except hormones.  Shucks.

If you crave more calories than you need, there's something wrong.  What caused that?

If only people really were perfect little machines. . . . with no metabolism, no hormones. . . . . well, for example, men and women would have similar tendencies to gain weight at certain ages, in the same places. . . gosh, it's almost like CICO doesn't quite explain the whole thing!!!!  Weird.

What changed 40 years ago that suddenly made us get fat?  Oh yeah, we were all suddenly told that FAT is the debbil, and carbs are no problem.  Weird.  Coincidence.
View Quote
Portion sizes and less activity are two of the largest culprits.

CICO works. It doesn't work when you stuff your face every day with fast food and pizza.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What a day. I finished with close to 2,000 calories eaten. I was very satisfied with what we ate today. I even indulged in the coconut mousse from Salt Traders which was amazing.

I burned over 700 calories today from all my combined physical activity including a long walk after dinner with the dog once it had cooled off.

Going to sleep now with Stargate.

I expect I'll maintain my weight through tomorrow or maybe I'll get lucky and drop another lb.

I'm just ecstatic I didn't eat anything from McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, Pizza Hut, or Whataburger today. That's the shit that has been killing me. Only drinking water, too. No more soda.
View Quote
You need a drastic change if you are that excited about not eating that shit. You want to get to the mentality that that stuff is at most an indulgence and not  even considered legit meals. I may eat something like that every once in awhile but most of the time the thought of greasy food disgusts me. I really need to be in the mood,  and whenever I am in the mood it's often after a monster workout, which I am ok with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because people eat too much.

Nobody is skirting the laws of thermodynamics.  Nobody.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I feel bad for people that have to count calories and piss on strips and log every morsel just to not be morbidly obese. Sorry ‘bout your horrible genetics.
View Quote
Except it's not genetics.  It's self induced metabolic damage.  Encouraged by recommendations by the USGov.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Portion sizes and less activity are two of the largest culprits.

CICO works. It doesn't work when you stuff your face every day with fast food and pizza.
View Quote
Like I said:  CICO works if you are young, male, and a little pudgy.

Simple calorie restriction will reduce your BMR.  You can't keep up with it if you are beyond a certain age, or a certain level of damage.

But that's not for everyone.  Like I said.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is there or rather has there ever been an engine/motor that was 100% efficient?

Sooo...do us humans ...say ingest 100 calories and use or otherwise utilize all 100 calories?

Said another way ...I bet there are still calories left in your poop and pee.

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is where the discussion always falls apart.

Technically, you are correct.  On a human level, with hormones and metabolism, it doesn't work.  If it did, more people would succeed.

If you eat fat and protein, you tend to stop when you've consumed what you need.  If you eat Frosted Flakes, pancakes, or Chinese food, you tend to crave more food despite having met your caloric needs.

And once you eat carbs, insulin kicks in.  Insulin causes your body to change the way it treats calories.  it causes you to tend to store energy in cells.

How does this not make sense?

CICO is technically correct- it just doesn't matter much if you're a human being.  Your body treats different macros differently.

How about this:  Your body naturally regulates itself on a CICO basis, UNTIL you short circuit the whole system by overloading it with carbs.  Carbs make you tired, so you move less; carbs make you hungry, so you eat more.

But good luck with your chosen path.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking of getting back on the weight loss train again...here is my dilemma: BMI says borderline obese, but that doesn't mean anything (broad shoulders, tons of muscle in legs, gut is small enough that I can still see a six pack there under an inch of fat). BMI is shit science.

I did a company program with incentives just to see what happened - tracked everything I ate. I ate less, did more activity, and went ten pounds down. I also felt weak all the time. Quit doing the program and went right back ten pounds up to where I had been for about the last 7 years. Drink beer, eat meat, basically veggies and meat with a few carbs here and there and a shitload of cheese. I don't gain weight past where I started.

I really would like to go back down to where I was in high school but i'll look like a goof with huge legs, wide shoulders and a 29" waist. it's plenty easy to tuck a pistol as it is and I don't want to lose muscle mass. I did a major regimen once before about 8 years ago and lost 35lbs in about three months, but felt weak in comparison and it didn't make me any healthier by the Dr's measurements. If I was bigger i'm sure I would have felt better but for my build I really didn't notice much other than I could run better but was weaker (couldn't max leg press machine anymore). In my younger (HS) prime I could run a 7:11 1.5 mile (4.44 mile) not competing, but I don't want to be stick built as it would be detrimental to some career roles (can't explain further, persec).

Kinda stuck at a "f-it" point unless I start getting any bigger, but it seems i'm just meant to be where i'm at. 5'8" 175-180. Enough with my rant.

Anyways, if you want to lose a lot of weight fast, it can be done, but there are always compromises. Find your balance OP. My best results were made with a heart monitor and a personalized plan I designed that worked on my heart rate and alternating cardio and strength every day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of getting back on the weight loss train again...here is my dilemma: BMI says borderline obese, but that doesn't mean anything (broad shoulders, tons of muscle in legs, gut is small enough that I can still see a six pack there under an inch of fat). BMI is shit science.

I did a company program with incentives just to see what happened - tracked everything I ate. I ate less, did more activity, and went ten pounds down. I also felt weak all the time. Quit doing the program and went right back ten pounds up to where I had been for about the last 7 years. Drink beer, eat meat, basically veggies and meat with a few carbs here and there and a shitload of cheese. I don't gain weight past where I started.

I really would like to go back down to where I was in high school but i'll look like a goof with huge legs, wide shoulders and a 29" waist. it's plenty easy to tuck a pistol as it is and I don't want to lose muscle mass. I did a major regimen once before about 8 years ago and lost 35lbs in about three months, but felt weak in comparison and it didn't make me any healthier by the Dr's measurements. If I was bigger i'm sure I would have felt better but for my build I really didn't notice much other than I could run better but was weaker (couldn't max leg press machine anymore). In my younger (HS) prime I could run a 7:11 1.5 mile (4.44 mile) not competing, but I don't want to be stick built as it would be detrimental to some career roles (can't explain further, persec).

Kinda stuck at a "f-it" point unless I start getting any bigger, but it seems i'm just meant to be where i'm at. 5'8" 175-180. Enough with my rant.

Anyways, if you want to lose a lot of weight fast, it can be done, but there are always compromises. Find your balance OP. My best results were made with a heart monitor and a personalized plan I designed that worked on my heart rate and alternating cardio and strength every day.
View Quote
low-no carb + build muscle > trying to lose fat. IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Legit ketobro question. If pissing out ketones means that your body is burning fat, how can you tell that it’s from the fat stored on your body and not from the fact that you’re eating 80% fat?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How about this:  Your body naturally regulates itself on a CICO basis, UNTIL you short circuit the whole system by overloading it with carbs.  Carbs make you tired, so you move less; carbs make you hungry, so you eat more.

View Quote
The effects that different macros have on your metabolism do not violate the laws of CICO.

You are just presenting what a person who overloads on carbs does.

I get what you are saying. But what you are saying isn't so much about CICO, as it is about controlling your eating. If you are addicted to sugar, you are going to want more and more of it. It's like a snowball rolling down a hill to obesity.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Your goal is 170's??

Are you a midget?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your goal is 170's??

Are you a midget?
View Quote
170lb, assuming average US height, and @ 10% bodyfat, is very athletic/aesthetic looking. The only way he’s getting numbers significantly above that is if he is A) taller than average, B) on PEDs, or C) still carrying additional bodyfat.

^ I know this shatters the illusion many in GD carries in their head and lead to much defensive balking, but while many here know their weight, they have a very skewed perception of what proportion of that weight is muscle and fat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Legit ketobro question. If pissing out ketones means that your body is burning fat, how can you tell that it's from the fat stored on your body and not from the fact that you're eating 80% fat?
View Quote
Who do you know doing keto that's eating 80% fat?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd do 30 min of cardio and eat 500 more, you'll hate life less.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is where the discussion always falls apart.

Technically, you are correct.  On a human level, with hormones and metabolism, it doesn't work.  If it did, more people would succeed.

If you eat fat and protein, you tend to stop when you've consumed what you need.  If you eat Frosted Flakes, pancakes, or Chinese food, you tend to crave more food despite having met your caloric needs.

And once you eat carbs, insulin kicks in.  Insulin causes your body to change the way it treats calories.  it causes you to tend to store energy in cells.

How does this not make sense?

CICO is technically correct- it just doesn't matter much if you're a human being.  Your body treats different macros differently.

View Quote
Self control how does it work?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Keto sucks. Unless you want to eat until you’re full, get off blood pressure meds, and look good naked.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1200 calories is binge dieting. You won't succeed doing that, it isn't sustainable, especially since you're agonizing over it already.

You also won't succeed by listening to everyone else, learn everything you can from science based sources and use it to put together a nutrition plan, not a diet, that fits your preferences and needs, while restricting calories. That is how you change the lifestyle that made you fat.

Or you can just cycle fad diets pointlessly every year.
View Quote
It's not supposed to be sustainable - he's trying to lose weight.  And - depending on your size and activity level - 1200 isn't hard to live on if you do it right.  I've been eating <= 1200/day for the last 8 months, gone from 245 to 180, and feel better than I have since I was a teenager.  I'm actually fine-tuning my diet as we speak to go from losing to maintaining as I get closer to my goal of 170, and it's going to end up at not much more than 1200.

What you eat is just as (if not more) important as how much you eat.  Calories in/calories out is bullshit; all energy sources are not created equal and they are processed, stored or burned in different ways.  Appetite, satiety, cravings, binging... they're all controlled by hormones produced in response to what foods you are consuming, and the real secret to long-term, sustainable success is orchestrating the hormone dance - not sweat and willpower.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was a competitive swimmer in school. In order to keep from losing weight, i had to eat 5k - 7k calories a day during meets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your calorie intake sounds bad. First you need to gradually lower to those numbers not just jump into them. Also it is better to increase your activity than to drastically lower calories.
Forget situps also.
Lift heavy things, repeatedly
Watch your macros, more protein!
Exercise is a crappy way to lose weight. Doesn't work worth a shit. You can't burn enough calories.

I was a competitive swimmer in school. In order to keep from losing weight, i had to eat 5k - 7k calories a day during meets.
It may work for a student or an athlete (and I know football players can gain a ton of weight off season for lack of exercise), but for an average American adult who works, there is not enough time in the day. And at some point they are incapable of maintaining the burn at a high enough level for enough time. This is a fact of life.

An adult will see far better (faster) results from cutting 500 calories of food than trying to burn off 500 calories with exercise. BTDT. I have experience and the damaged joints to prove it.

It's a proven fact. People who have weight loss surgery don't lose weight from the exercise, but from cutting their calories intake down to 700-800 calories a day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The funniest part about keto people are how much they push their diet like its the only thing out there.  Im not saying it doesnt work, but there are other options out there.  Its like they have to convince others to jump on the wagon to justify their own decisions. Its like crossfit.  You do you boo boo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  No question that's what we said.
The funniest part about keto people are how much they push their diet like its the only thing out there.  Im not saying it doesnt work, but there are other options out there.  Its like they have to convince others to jump on the wagon to justify their own decisions. Its like crossfit.  You do you boo boo.
Because we're tired of paying for medical system foundering under the weight of millions of obese, diabetic patients following the misguided advice from the health and nutrition industries to reduce fat and increase carbs.

The prevailing "wisdom" on health and nutrition is flat-out wrong.  The guidelines were established not through science and understanding of nutritional needs, but of of political and academic infighting... and the wrong guys won.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because we're tired of paying for medical system foundering under the weight of millions of obese, diabetic patients following the misguided advice from the health and nutrition industries to reduce fat and increase carbs.

The prevailing "wisdom" on health and nutrition is flat-out wrong.  The guidelines were established not through science and understanding of nutritional needs; but of of political and academic infighting... and the wrong guys won.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prevailing "wisdom" on health and nutrition is flat-out wrong.  The guidelines were established not through science and understanding of nutritional needs; but of of political and academic infighting... and the wrong guys won.
IMO, the animal rights people and the corn and wheat ag industries were behind the push for high carb/low protein diets in the 1980's. Anyone who was alive back then will remember the constant attacks on meat, especially red meat.

The high carb house of cards may have worked for a while, but once people of all ages became more sedentary (video games) and high fructose corn syrup replaced sugar, the weight ballooned.

I don't know anything about Keto, but I do know cutting carbs is the first step in successful weight loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#27]
ugh...

i need to get on a restricted calories diet again..not hitting the gym as hard as i had been, and starting to stress eat ice cream again on a regular basis.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
IMO, the animal rights people and the corn and wheat ag industries were behind the push for high carb/low protein diets in the 1980's. Anyone who was alive back then will remember the constant attacks on meat, especially red meat.

The high carb house of cards may have worked for a while, but once people of all ages became more sedentary (video games) and high fructose corn syrup replaced sugar, the weight ballooned.

I don't know anything about Keto, but I do know cutting carbs is the first step in successful weight loss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree... sugar too: How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat

(noting that fat isn't the problem either... that's Ancel Key's fault.  And every bit as corrupt and derived from wishful thinking as the sugar stuff)

What gets me is why people are so eager to defend the USDA's diet guidelines (where much of this debate originates), when we already know that government can't do anything right.  We're all being drug around by our hormones like a drooling dog chasing a snack.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Look on the bright side.  I'd murder a loved one with a rusty spoon to be 200 lbs.  
View Quote
A spoon? Why not an axe or a fork or something?
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

(noting that fat isn't the problem either... that's Ancel Key's fault.  And every bit as corrupt and derived from wishful thinking as the sugar stuff)

What gets me is why people are so eager to defend the USDA's diet guidelines (where much of this debate originates), when we already know that government can't do anything right.  We're all being drug around by our hormones like a drooling dog chasing a snack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The nutrition pyramid has been screwed up for as long as I can remember. It's always pushed a high carb diet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I want to order and eat an entire pizza right now, but that’s how I got fat in the first place.

I’m actually allowed 1500 calories, but it just ended up a little over 1200 today. I’ve been drinking lots of water today which has helped and is probably good anyway because I had a pretty intense deep tissue massage yesterday.

Tomorrow morning, a quick 2 mile jog followed by bacon and eggs and a big glass of milk. Some light weights and sit-ups to follow later in the afternoon.

Currently at just under 200. Really want to be in the low 170’s. Tired of being fat. Tired of feeling tired. Getting my house in order.
View Quote
Stay with it, and make sure you adjust that diet after you get to the 170, I don't think you want stay on that 1,200 to 1,500 calories, you will burn out.
Up your running miles and STAY on a good exercise program, this is VERY important.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Stay with it, and make sure you adjust that diet after you get to the 170, I don't think you want stay on that 1,200 to 1,500 calories, you will burn out.
Up your running miles and STAY on a good exercise program, this is VERY important.
View Quote
Before my wife died, we ran a couple of half marathons. I was very proud of that. I never in my life thought that I would have been capable of that kind of endurance. We did the Austin Cap 10K four years in a row. We walked, jogged, and hiked regularly. It was a good active lifestyle.

Down another lb. this morning. That’s 5 lbs. since Sunday.

No running today. I’ll do some good leg stretching this afternoon when I’m in the garage working out upper body.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Legit ketobro question. If pissing out ketones means that your body is burning fat, how can you tell that it’s from the fat stored on your body and not from the fact that you’re eating 80% fat?
View Quote
It's from both if you are eating in a calorie deficit.  Science!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Running 3 miles does suck though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes it does but eating half a large pizza kinda makes up for some of that misery
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Self control how does it work?
View Quote
Addiction how does it work?

If someone said we should all have a daily dose of opioids,  a certain percentage will have a problem.

Carbs are addictive.  LOTS of people have problems with it.  Again, if it were just self control we wouldn't have obesity rates approaching 50 percent.

Especially if everyone were being told carbs aren't the problem-- it's just how many CALORIES.  That's wrong.  It's about what kind of calories, because your hormones and metabolism react differently.

Eat fat/protein, you stop when you're full.  Eat carbs, and you'll still salivate after a huge thanksgiving dinner when they bring around the pie.

And if you look at the trends, the rates shot up almost exactly starting 1980.  Understand:  If you're young and not badly damaged, you can fix yourself easily.  If not, you may have a huge problem without considering how carbs fit into your problem.

Here's a NEW video from one of the first people to really get into the back story of how .gov was convinced (or bribed) into telling us to stop eating fat and start eating more carbs.  It's long.  TLDW:  Big Agra used huge amounts of cash to "prove" that fat makes you fat.  Ansel Keyes.  Food Pyramid.  No evidence to back it up.  All wrong.  Millions of lives ruined.
Sample Quote from scientist:  I was told I would lose my grant funding if I challenged Ansel Keyes
Big Fat Nutrition Policy | Nina Teicholz
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#37]
OP:  If you can convince yourself to try very low carb for a month, you'll discover your desire to order  a pizza will be greatly diminished.

This is the best part of what you're reading here:  Keto is very easy once you adapt.  The potential of a week or so of fuzzy thinking and fatigue, followed by the rest of your life on a turbocharger.

Here's the best explanation of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, which was actually at first a 1500 calorie per day and later 1100 calorie a day diet with plenty of carbs.  TLDW:  These poor guys stopped losing weight after a few weeks, and started to go nuts from cravings.

Fasting vs. Eating Less: What''s the Difference? (Science of Fasting)
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The effects that different macros have on your metabolism do not violate the laws of CICO.

I get what you are saying. But what you are saying isn't so much about CICO, as it is about controlling your eating. If you are addicted to sugar, you are going to want more and more of it. It's like a snowball rolling down a hill to obesity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt anyone will tell you that CICO flat out doesn't work at all. It's just not as efficient. Why would you choose to do things the difficult/less efficient way? Keto is an awesome tool to have in the toolbox. I wouldn't want to do it for the rest of my life, but keto phases in conjunction with a low carb/high fat/mod-high protein diet is easy to stick with and effective. The wife and I have been doing this for the last 10 years or so. I've packed on some weight lately due to the effects of a series of injuries, but we've both done pretty well on it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And if you look at the trends, the rates shot up almost exactly starting 1980.  Understand:  If you're young and not badly damaged, you can fix yourself easily.  If not, you may have a huge problem without considering how carbs fit into your problem.
[/url]
View Quote
There are benefits for older folks too.  My dad's 78, insulin-shooting diabetic for 20+ years, normal blood sugar in the 350 range.  He started keto in Feb or March, a couple months after I did, and has cut his insulin dosage in half and getting readings in the 120's now.  Don't know if he'll stick with it... he's a believer now that he's seen the benefits firsthand, but he's also 78 and probably has a bit of "yeah, so what's the point? I'm about done anyway" in him.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Before my wife died, we ran a couple of half marathons. I was very proud of that. I never in my life thought that I would have been capable of that kind of endurance. We did the Austin Cap 10K four years in a row. We walked, jogged, and hiked regularly. It was a good active lifestyle.

No running today. I’ll do some good leg stretching this afternoon when I’m in the garage working out upper body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've made a strong commitment to losing the weight.  And, you'll succeed, but it will take time.

When I pack for extended periods in the backcountry, I try to pack based on kcal = (10 to 12) x bodyweight(lbs).  I don't see any noticeable weight loss for myself or team members over the course of three to four weeks.

Think about it this way, if the weight snuck up on you, it's going to take a while to remove the weight in an equally unnoticeable manner.  You are at roughly 60% of your caloric needs for your current weight. Roughly.  Yeah, you are going to notice that.  No way around it.  Just embrace it.  You've seen the results.  You know it works.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Before I got to the last sentence, I was thinking it's no long term worry because stress related heart attack will get you.  Then I read the last sentence and it just reaffirmed it.  I'm not completely sure I buy into an occasional Red Bull being a problem, but 5 of those fuckers a day is not right.  That's going to catch up with you first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I have a tapeworm, I eat roughly 3000+ calories a day and have stayed stable at around 185lbs, though I am a very active person working 70+ hours a week and a few times a month I go on some pretty rough hikes, still it doesn't explain how I can eat like a dumpster and not gain weight.

Another possibility is the 40+ OZ OF REDBULL I drink daily, probably keeps my heart rate up and metabolism scrambling, though I'll likely only live till I'm 40....so there is that...
Before I got to the last sentence, I was thinking it's no long term worry because stress related heart attack will get you.  Then I read the last sentence and it just reaffirmed it.  I'm not completely sure I buy into an occasional Red Bull being a problem, but 5 of those fuckers a day is not right.  That's going to catch up with you first.
My brother had a heart attack at 28. Not overweight, pretty good shape actually. He drank 3-4 Monsters a day though. Lucky he had had no long term damage and gave those things up. I won’t touch them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Didnt say it was healthy or a way to bulk up on muscle. It's a direct argument to "but if you dont eat, your body's gonna enter StArVaTiOn MoDe and you wont lose any weight". Again show me all the fat people that left concentration camps. Oh wait there were none. They were malnourished, underfed, AND SKINNY.
View Quote
Not eating for a few days is better than severe calorie restriction long term (unless you’re doing IF).
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think he’s referring to the calories being the same but the nutritional makeup of the two different foods being very different.  You worded it poorly but I understood.
View Quote
To the body, a calorie is not a calorie.

Protein takes more energy to digest than carbs or fat.

Sugars and starches are processed into energy & affect the body differently than protein & fat.

Not all bodies will process carbs with the same way or do the same things with excess calories.

There’s reams of scientific data about the chemical & physiological process that verify this.

This is pretty simple stuff here, guy. I mean, like, come on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#44]
The GOV gets a lot of criticism for poor dietary recommendations, but I don’t know.

I’ve been around long enough for several evolutions of their guidelines, or Food Pyramid thing, and I can honestly say I’ve never in my life tried to follow them. Don’t know anyone else who did, either.

People have always eaten what makes them happy. We all smoked too, which helped control our appetite, and the GOV has been telling people not to do that most of my lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#45]
If your 0.5lb heavier today just take a laxative. You’ll be ready for fashion week in no time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You need a drastic change if you are that excited about not eating that shit. You want to get to the mentality that that stuff is at most an indulgence and not  even considered legit meals. I may eat something like that every once in awhile but most of the time the thought of greasy food disgusts me. I really need to be in the mood,  and whenever I am in the mood it's often after a monster workout, which I am ok with.
View Quote
Greasy food is awesome, just not from Burgers R’ Us.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Drinking hot water (like tea, only without a tea bag) really seemed to help reduce the growling stomach issues I had.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I started Zwifting a few years ago...Its a addictive and a one hour workout flies by like nothing
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not always...

I am 50yrs old, 6' 2" and 167-170lbs, could be my steady diet of peps, cola and physical torture

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/46677988-3865-4B84-821C-CD9D5AF8F1D8-995729.jpg
View Quote
No homo, I am 6'2" and hope to be like you when I am 50. Right now I am heavier with muscle at 36.

I see elderly people much older than you that are lean who seem to have much less issues than bulky or fats.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

yes it does but eating half a large pizza kinda makes up for some of that misery
View Quote
Not really.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top