Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We are going to need fossil fuels to produce electric energy for a long time to come.
View Quote
Nuke is the answer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are ceramic rotors and Brembo calipers not available to the general public. The only thing holding it back after a brake upgrade would be some quick disconnect battery or a faster charging battery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it can't, because batteries suck. One hour of track attack, three hours charging!

Wouldn't even make it for 1 hour of track time.  Maybe 1x 20min segment max before needing to recharge.  And Tesla's well know for their brakes being smoking melted pieces of shit after an intense track session.

Are ceramic rotors and Brembo calipers not available to the general public. The only thing holding it back after a brake upgrade would be some quick disconnect battery or a faster charging battery.

If only they made some sort of extra performance trim with upgraded components made to handle those exact conditions..... They could call it paid even.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The brakes need to be better because of the weight (can't get around that).

I have no idea what the specs of the brakes are, but doing super car things without super car brakes is a recipe for disaster.
View Quote

Electric cars can use their motors to slow the car almost as fast as they accelerate before even applying the brakes.

This is a car that can accelerate from 0-150 in under 9 seconds. This thing will be able to stop quick as well.

This is why brakes pretty much last the life of the car on EVs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe ask the guy who stated it:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's already happened through decades of continuous improvement. We have a sedan that has 500 miles of range that also is faster at the drag strip than anything, while also capable of smoking exotics at the track. How is that anything other than an enormous disruptive force?

Maybe ask the guy who stated it:

Quoted:
We are one breakthrough in battery tech away (either charging times or range) from vehicles like this being an enormous disruptive force.

To me it is more range then you could drive in a full day behind the wheel and/or getting charge times down to roughly how long a normal fill up takes.

When they hit one of those two marks, we have arrived.
And I think they will.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thats fine, doesn't change the fact your argument is wrong bud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are just an old man yelling at clouds now. Everyone is tuning you out.

Thats fine, doesn't change the fact your argument is wrong bud.

You should put an inward facing camera in your Porsche so we can see the expression on your face when one of these Teslas assrapes you at a stoplight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$140,000 for those of you wondering.
View Quote

nope
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You should put an inward facing camera in your Porsche so we can see the expression on your face when one of these Teslas assrapes you at a stoplight.
View Quote

The GT3 runs a 10.9-11.4s quarter mile.

Stoplight racing a ~8.8 second Plaid against that would look like Usain Bolt vs. Sgt. Sugarcookie.

The Plaid would already be crossing the finish line right about when the GT3 got 2/3rds through.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a daily. Our NSX comes with Iron or Carbon rotors as an option. If I bought an NSX to daily I may skimp on the rotors too. It adds $10k to the price of the car.
View Quote

Carbon's make more sense on a Daily than they do on a Race Car.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I realize that. It also gets a constant stream of federal tax payer dollars per car.  Why am I paying for complete strangers to buy a 40 - 140 thousand dollar car again?

The first Tesla was introduced in 2008.   Telsa has never turned a profit even with that massive federal subsidy year after year.  WTF?
View Quote

Uninformed much?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Electric cars can use their motors to slow the car almost as fast as they accelerate before even applying the brakes.

This is a car that can accelerate from 0-150 in under 9 seconds. This thing will be able to stop quick as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The brakes need to be better because of the weight (can't get around that).

I have no idea what the specs of the brakes are, but doing super car things without super car brakes is a recipe for disaster.

Any idea on the percentage of stopping power provided by commercial systems?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And still can't be exposed to even 24 hours of a typical winter up here without damaging it.
View Quote

Do you know how stupid comments like this make you sound?
There are literally thousands of these driving through Canadian winters without any problems .
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nuke is the answer.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You realize the 918 wasn't built for Drag racing right?  Who gives a shit what it does in a 1/4 mile....take that bitch to a real road course track and then lets talk.
View Quote

Lol.
The Tesla will win that too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lol.
The Tesla will win that too.
View Quote

LOL Sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Tesla’s QC on fit and finish is in the shitter right now.  I would hold off on buying one right now.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
“Hold my bier” -Porsche
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Stoplight racing a ~8.8 second Plaid against that would look like Usain Bolt vs. Sgt. Sugarcookie.

The Plaid would already be crossing the finish line right about when the GT3 got 2/3rds through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you comparing apples to oranges? I’m sure when he said Porsche he was talking about a direct competitor like the Taycan turbo S
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
lol, gay
View Quote

lol

yes you are
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Still waiting on that "enormous disruptive force" we are continually told that is coming "any day now".
View Quote

To be honest already here.

ICE is the T-Rex laughing at the little wombat waddling around.

ICE is in its grave.

Just waiting on logistics at this point.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll dispute electric is the future.  Hydrogen powered is the real future.
View Quote

While every hydrogen proponent is giving up on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't care. Those cars are ugly as hell and have no soul.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a funny story on logic vs herd mentality.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#24]
That’s cute.

When are they going to release a truck?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I always love the retards who can't accept that this is the future of auto tech.

"It no make vroom vroom sound, it no good, me no like"

ETA: Have fun dealing with the anger when these gap you in the 1/4, they're only going to get better.
View Quote

I have no illusions about that. Eventually most or all vehicles (especially non trucks) will be either fully electric or some sort of hybrid. Some day our solar grabbing technology will be good enough that a vehicle's skin will capture sunlight and turn it into energy, too.

We aren't even close to that day yet, but 20 years from now it will look a lot different.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.....

It's a fucking 140k SEDAN. Not a gazillion dollar purpose built supercar.

What's not to understand about this?

Luddites everywhere these days....electric cars are the future whether you like it or not.

If Gordon Murray says electric is just a stop gap measure to get to hydrogen power I'm going to believe him. He's forgotten more about cars than anyone at Tesla will ever know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We aren't even close to that day yet, but 20 years from now it will look a lot different.
View Quote

I heard that in '96. It doesn't look that different, to me, yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, a car that is so fast stock that drag strips may require you to install parachutes and roll cages just to use them there is gay...

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/09/tesla-model-s-plaid-may-be-required-to-use-a-parachute-when-racing-in-drag-tracks.html

View Quote

Well you could make one run then get kicked off of the track.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Gay as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1996 might as well be 1976 in terms of electric vehicle technology. No comparison whatsoever to 2020.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ICE is in its grave.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still waiting on that "enormous disruptive force" we are continually told that is coming "any day now".

ICE is in its grave.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There are literally thousands of these driving through Canadian winters without any problems .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And still can't be exposed to even 24 hours of a typical winter up here without damaging it.

You Canucks don't salt the roads like we do here, it's not the cold.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why are you comparing apples to oranges? I’m sure when he said Porsche he was talking about a direct competitor like the Taycan turbo S
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Referencing this post:

Quoted:

Jesus who gives a fuck.  The 918 wasn't built to drag race...not sure how fucking hard it is for you to get that through your skull.

And its awesome you love comparing a brand new tech car vs a Hyper Car built between 2013-2015....I'm pretty sure my GT3 can beat in lap times Hyper cars built 5-7 years before it at this point.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That was my first thought. You wouldn't be able to run your stock Tesla at a dragstrip that follows NHRA rules.

We are one breakthrough in battery tech away (either charging times or range) from vehicles like this being an enormous disruptive force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, gay

Yes, a car that is so fast stock that drag strips may require you to install parachutes to use them there is gay...

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/09/tesla-model-s-plaid-may-be-required-to-use-a-parachute-when-racing-in-drag-tracks.html

The Tesla Model S Plaid was officially launched on Battery Day and the vehicle is now available to order. The specifications of the Plaid Model S are no joke, with the vehicle being able to go from 0 to 60 mph in under 2 seconds before peaking at 200 mph. The future flagship sedan is so fast that Tesla says its quarter-mile is less than 9 seconds, thanks to its three electric motors that produce 1,100 hp.With the Plaid variant entering the picture, the Model S will effectively become an 8-second car over the quarter mile. That would make the flagship Tesla sedan a downright creepy presence in the drag strip, especially since previous iterations like the Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode and the Model S Performance are quick enough to regularly embarrass supercars. That being said, it's pretty hard to deny that an 8-second quarter-mile time is unfamiliar territory for Tesla, and that, according to a veteran racer, could result in some interesting rules for the next vehicle in the tracks. 'acceleration.
Brooks Weisblat, Tesla owner and YouTube drag racing enthusiast DragTimes channel is no stranger to fast cars. Weisblat has extensive experience in drag racing, regularly competing with electric cars like the Tesla Model S P100D or conventional supercars like the McLaren 720S. Speaking as a veteran, Weisblat pointed out that the Model S Plaid is a pretty crazy vehicle, and given its performance, it might actually end up being too fast for some drag tracks in the United States.

The drag racing veteran pointed out that in order for the Model S Plaid to reach a quarter mile in under 9 seconds, the vehicle would have to have a trap speed likely above 150 mph. Weisblat noted that in many drag tracks across the country, more safety requirements are placed on vehicles that operate at such levels. Cars that hit the quarter mile at 150 mph, for example, must have a parachute to help them decelerate. Vehicles that travel 8 or 9 quarter mile seconds are generally required to have a roll cage, or at least a roll bar, when also competing.

That was my first thought. You wouldn't be able to run your stock Tesla at a dragstrip that follows NHRA rules.

NHRA needs to update some of their rules IMO

Been factory cars for years that are too fast for the strip out of the factory

Same thing happened with the early vipers.
They were fast enough they needed a roll bar since it was a convertible

There is also tons of hardtops that run fast enough to need a roll bar as well .

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, I realize that. It also gets a constant stream of federal tax payer dollars per car.  Why am I paying for complete strangers to buy a 40 - 140 thousand dollar car again?

The first Tesla was introduced in 2008.   Telsa has never turned a profit even with that massive federal subsidy year after year.  WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize it got the same lap time as the Porsche 918... a multimillion dollar hypercar built for the track, and this is a large 4-door sedan.

Lol, actually there are no longer fed tax credits if you buy a Tesla. However, Ford, GM, etc will qualify for those fat tax credits once they start offering their EVs. You gonna complain about them too?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to work in a hydrogen plant.  Extremely expensive to produce and leaks out of virtually everything you can store it in.  Our top management didn’t think it would happen anytime soon, either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Where do you put the 4x4's, plywood, and post hole digger?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
In reality, the technology being developed - especially battery technology - will end up on the free market.

Remember that NASA got massive federal subsidies that gave us stuff like teflon, integrated circuits, nixie tubes, ceramics, and a whole host of stuff we take for granted today.

Of course NASA did land a man on the moon and Elon only sent a car into space.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't understand the name "plaid" when it appears to be solid white or whatever. Shouldn't it be a tartan plaid colors like below?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/B5B3C0A8-26BF-47E9-806C-87FECF93E1C7_jpe-1609295.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even considering in Northern countries like Norway and Sweden Tesla are very common.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know how I know you never lived in Canada, especially southern Ontario?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Let me know when I can throw one in my chevelle and then die in a massive car wreck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize it got the same lap time as the Porsche 918... a multimillion dollar hypercar built for the track, and this is a large 4-door sedan.

Were you mad that tax money paid for the development of the space shuttle?

Technologically,  these things are next level beasts. This is the future and this production sedan is basically better than anything else produced at any price point.

To be angry about subsidies doesn't speak at all to the technoligical leap that is happening.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ll buy an electric when a single charge can get me 500 miles in -20f weather with the heat running.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's been an option for years.

https://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Tesla-Model-S-3rd-Row-Seats-e1379317106445-1280x720.jpg

Only really fits kids though, like the backseats in a Porsche.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does a sedan seat up to 7?
Elon Musk declared it to be so, and you shall not dispute any claim made by Elon because he is the best EVAR.  iT's sCiEnCe!!!

It's been an option for years.

https://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Tesla-Model-S-3rd-Row-Seats-e1379317106445-1280x720.jpg

Only really fits kids though, like the backseats in a Porsche.

LoL
That’s awesome
Like being in the rear seats of a Comanche
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I really would like an EV
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
NHRA needs to update some of their rules IMO

Been factory cars for years that are too fast for the strip out of the factory

Same thing happened with the early vipers.
They were fast enough they needed a roll bar since it was a convertible

There is also tons of hardtops that run fast enough to need a roll bar as well .

View Quote
Actually, they have. 2008 & later cars that run 9.99 - 11.49 previously required a roll bar/cage, do not need one now, as long as they are *stock*.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We are going to need fossil fuels to produce electric energy for a long time to come.
View Quote

Nonsense.

We're only 20 years away from deploying fusion technology!
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The same reason your tax dollars go to national security or how they went to the space program.
It pushes innovation. It's not about the product, it's about pushing forward and leading.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Holy fuck lol
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top