Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 41
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
one live stream going away for the night another might take it's place not sure...

but here is a video they recorded with their better camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKTFYxe1S2U
View Quote
Great video
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Am I somewhat correct in saying there is or was an empty lava tube below these fissure? And, as someone posted that the lava will probably finally make it's way to the sea?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
"This is a Civil Defense Message for Monday, May 14 at 6 o’clock in the morning.

Hawaiian Volcano Observatory reports that fissure 17 continues to be active.  A narrow lava flow has been generated and is slowly moving toward the ocean, which is about two miles away. There are no homes or roads threatened at this time.

Be aware, no sightseeing is permitted in the area.

Due to the volcanic activity, the following are issued:

On schools, Keonepoko Elementary, Pahoa High, Intermediate and Elementary Schools are open. Normal school bus routes are operating today.

On road closures, Highway 132 is closed at Pohoiki Road intersection and a checkpoint is located on Highway 130 by Pahoa High School.

Only local traffic allowed beyond all roadblocks.

The residents of Puna are going through a very difficult time.  We ask for your help and understanding."
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am I somewhat correct in saying there is or was an empty lava tube below these fissure? And, as someone posted that the lava will probably finally make it's way to the sea?
View Quote
Volcanologists seem to be rather ... exacting in their terms.

While we lay people might call a tube through which lava/magma flows... a lava tube regardless of depth.  They seem to make a distinction.

So to be clear the whole "rift zone" has tubes deep down... like a mile down with magma in them.  One might call these tubes, lava tubes.  But a volcanologist would say it isn't...  because they think of lava tubes as something that forms near the surface after lava erupts.

So you are correct in that there is magma under this area.  Lava tube probably isn't the correct term.  And the lava is coming from much deeper than a lava tube would imply.

Also as a reminder there is Magma under ALL areas in the world... it's only a question of how far.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
these people have their live stream up again.

https://www.facebook.com/civilbeat/videos/1948205571878828

and this is a youtube method to view it... sorta

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
great aerial view of the lava flow from fissure 17.

https://vimeo.com/269743303
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
my map currently

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there any way to seismograph the area like is done for oil and gas?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
This video was from the 9th, but I don't think it's been posted yet.

The 3d model was cool in the beginning.

Dropping Lava Lake Concerns Scientists (May 9, 2018)
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is there any way to seismograph the area like is done for oil and gas?
View Quote
I have no idea what is done for oil and gas.

but here's a live earthquake alert map ... if that helps at all.

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

also USGS has added some pictures.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
new USGS map

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
picture of fissure 19 effecting houses north of Hinalo st.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#15]
love the thermal lava maps.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#16]
more pictures of fissure 17 from today.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
some minor ash emissions from the main crater.

For context... the camera is 1 mile away.  This is tiny.   Mt St Helens produces similar size emissions all the time without so much as foot note or passing comment on local news.  There could be a larger ash emission in the coming days that would be significant... but the current ash is not a problem.

Here's some pictures of similar size emissions from Mt St Helens in 2004

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]
20 now
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#19]
5/15/2018 overflight video posted.

https://vimeo.com/269961303
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
20 now
View Quote
20 what?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
20 what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 now
20 what?
Fissures.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

20 what?
View Quote
Fissures/eruption locations I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
5/15/2018 overflight video posted.

https://vimeo.com/269961303
View Quote
I flew with Paradise Helicopters from here on Kahoolawe back to the Big Island a couple of weeks ago.  Good group, the CEO and CFO are both retired Marine Corps pilots.  In fact, they are supposed to drop off a box of repair parts for our watermaker on the way to Lanai some time this week.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Insert magma hat pic
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Plume at Halemaumau Crater prompts ashfall warning
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Double
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have no idea what is done for oil and gas.

but here's a live earthquake alert map ... if that helps at all.

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

also USGS has added some pictures.

https://i.imgur.com/wz2mAiT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T5utedq.jpg
View Quote
Here is a simplistic overview of what I was thinking.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, that changes things.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Few minor burps of ash today.  Nothing much to worry about... well they wouldn't be around any volcano on the west coast... because we don't build houses and golf courses close to active craters... Closest viewing structure to Mt St Helens for example is 10 miles away... and it's another few miles before you get out of the protected park area and get businesses and houses.

So while these ash emissions are small... people are super close to them... way closer than they would be if this were a ring of fire volcano... so the pictures make them look large.

In other news.  Fissure 17 is still active but has slowed down a fair amount.  The lava flow from it has slowed considerably and hardly moved during the day.

There's some debate whether to call fissure 20... 20... or since there's sorta a gap... split it and call one 20 and the other 21.  official maps so far show it as 20.

Fissure 6 has reactivated and has a lava fountain going.

The web cam showing Leilani Estates has 2 spots of glowing emissions. This view has been pitch black aside from the lights of the GeoThermal plant for most of the events so being able to see glowing emissions is a development.  The left most glow is probably fissure 6.  The right glow might be fissure 1, 7, or 8.  But that's just my guess.  Here's that view.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
from the comments

It's President Trump's fault.  He is directly responsible for global warming and is causing volcanoes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
I can think of a much worse "worst case scenario", but I'm not a geologist.

Ex: what if the entire section of the island detaches and slides into the ocean? ...Extremely remote possibility but damn, the tsunami would cleanse the west coast of the US.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can think of a much worse "worst case scenario", but I'm not a geologist.

Ex: what if the entire section of the island detaches and slides into the ocean? ...Extremely remote possibility but damn, the tsunami would cleanse the west coast of the US.
View Quote
There is evidence of that happening in the ancient past... like before there were even people on the island at all.

But there's no indication that this eruption could trigger such an event.  There would be signs ... tell tale indications that something like that was about to occur.  There would be movement before the whole thing let loose...  Significant movement over a very wide area.  Not the relatively small events that are currently happening.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#37]
The person who wrote this works as a brain surgeon in his spare time:

“An explosive eruption from the summit would cause damage to the structures at the summit like the Hawaii Volcano Observatory or the Jaggar Museum & Overlook,” he added.

Part of the U.S. Geological Survey's Volcano Hazards Program, the Hawaii Volcano Observatory is perched on the rim of Kilauea’s summit caldera. The Thomas A. Jaggar Museum, which is operated by the National Park Service, is located next to the Volcano Observatory.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The person who wrote this works as a brain surgeon in his spare time:

"An explosive eruption from the summit would cause damage to the structures at the summit like the Hawaii Volcano Observatory or the Jaggar Museum & Overlook," he added.

Part of the U.S. Geological Survey's Volcano Hazards Program, the Hawaii Volcano Observatory is perched on the rim of Kilauea's summit caldera. The Thomas A. Jaggar Museum, which is operated by the National Park Service, is located next to the Volcano Observatory.

View Quote
sorta.  Yes. the buildings are there.. about 2 miles from the lava lake that has receded and is now spewing steam and occasionally ash.  This is way closer than any such structure would be built to a volcano over here on the ring of fire.  If an explosive eruption the size of something one of our volcanoes can do were to happen then those buildings would be gone... It would be as if a Nuke detonated next to them.  But such a large explosion is NOT what they are predicting... at least not what they were predicting... I have not heard any updated predictions...  No... what they are expecting for the most intense steam explosion is large rocks flying out to 1 mile... and pebble size out at 2 miles.

The pictures make the ash emissions seen so far look huge... but they are not.  People are just way closer to them than we're used to seeing such things.   Any other volcano producing ash ... the pictures taken of it are likely more than 10 miles away from it...
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is missing the mandatory volcano thread music

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would say there are tube like passages under the hard surface carved out by molten lava rivers. You can see some of these tubes or holes on many of the island coasts.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fucking hardcore golfer right there.  Fuck you volcano!  Hand me my 9 iron.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There is evidence of that happening in the ancient past... like before there were even people on the island at all.

But there's no indication that this eruption could trigger such an event.  There would be signs ... tell tale indications that something like that was about to occur.  There would be movement before the whole thing let loose...  Significant movement over a very wide area.  Not the relatively small events that are currently happening.
View Quote
The Hilina Slump drops 10cm per year and slid 10+ feet in 1975. There is a history of movement
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Hilina Slump drops 10cm per year and slid 10+ feet in 1975. There is a history of movement
View Quote
Sigh... but no indication of movement right now.  I'm not saying it can't happen.  I am saying there is no indication that this event will cause it.  Until there is indications of such there's no need to worry about it and your time is better spent worrying about the much much more likely events.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#44]
some pictures from this morning.

5/16/2018 Lava spattering area from an area between fissures 16 and 20 photographed at 8:20 a.m. today.

5/16/2018 Same area between fissures 16 and 20 at 9:33 a.m. By the time geologists reached the site on foot, the spattering had died down and they were only hearing gas rushing sounds.

Also video

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2035.mp4

This video shows spattering at fissure 18, Kilauea Volcano's Lower East Rift Zone, at approximately 2:00 AM HST on May 16, 2018. The audio captures the sounds of explosions and burning vegetation.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#45]
new camera looking at the main crater.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#46]
its really throttled back on the venting over hte last few hours.. been watching.  I am wondering if it is building up.  I also saw that last night it did launch some 2ft across pieces into one of the parking lots on the volcano.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
its really throttled back on the venting over hte last few hours.. been watching.  I am wondering if it is building up.  I also saw that last night it did launch some 2ft across pieces into one of the parking lots on the volcano.
View Quote
As I understand it...

the ash emissions so far are from small parts of the throat of the lava lake crater collapsing.  The white plume is steam.  If a large part of the throat collapses and blocks it up so the steam can't escape... that's when it's building up for a decent size steam explosion/ash eruption with flying chunks of rock.

Since the camera only shows an updated image every 15 to 20 minutes... I don't know if we would be able to see such a warning sign before the eruption.  We could go from steady steam emission to full explosion between web cam image updates.  Never seeing the period of reduced or no steam emission that preceded it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#48]
here's that 2 foot rock in the parking lot.

Close view of rock hurled from the Overlook crater during an explosive event last evening. The rock broke apart on impact, and was about 60 cm (24 in) before it hit the ground. The location is a few hundred meters (yards) south of the Overlook crater at the Halema‘uma‘u parking lot. Note the ash covering the parking lot, less than about 1 cm (0.4 in) in thickness.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#49]
These guys (whose videos keep popping up on youtube) are complete morons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8R-GpFtkPU
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Update from this morning:

Hawaii Eruption Update, 11 am Conference Call (May 16, 2018)
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top