Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 2:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#1]
I wonder how a toothpick would work for filling in the paint.
ETA: now I see the colored photo posts.   Looks nice!
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an applicator I got from Cerakote for fine detail work and everything else, just heat and use crayon then wipe off.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-equipment/SE-504/cerakote-color-fill-pen
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
oh, nice tip - thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mcgiggles:
Thabks to @ORjeepguy for getting this one engraved for me.   Doing the painting and color fill is a bit of a pain but i cant wait for it to be finished.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/520880/20230801_124610_jpg-2906868.JPG

More pics to come after the painting is finished.
View Quote
Nailtopia brand polish works very well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
Nailtopia brand polish works very well.
View Quote

So does testors model paint.   The blue is the touch up enamel for my snap-on toolbox but the rest of the colors are testors.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]

So does testors model paint.   The blue is the touch up enamel for my snap-on toolbox but the rest of the colors are testors.
View Quote

I didn't even think of testors. Good idea! I'll have to pick some up to play with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwb211] [#8]
Originally Posted By ORjeepguy:

I didn't even think of testors. Good idea! I'll have to pick some up to play with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I used testers on some 10/22s I did for the kids and my Jeep wheel details. It’s held up great. I bought some disposable detail brushes at hobby lobby that work well.

ETA:

Did one in White and Red and one in Silver and Copper. The little brushes are kinda expensive at HL but if you have a Daiso Japanese dollar store in your area they are super cheap there.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought some of those same brushes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Needs to be anodized in red.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
RPM, Rustoleums parent company, fucked up Testors, Pactra, and Floquil brand hobby paints.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
RPM, Rustoleums parent company, fucked up Testors, Pactra, and Floquil brand hobby paints.
View Quote
Sadly, a very familiar story across many products and industries.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
what is this "rain" of which you speak?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.creality.com/products/creality-falcon2-40w

40W Creality Falcon 2 Laser Cutter / Engraver (Cuts Wood In One Pass With Ease)

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:07:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#15]
Very interesting.   Do you have this?   Is it a fiber laser or some other technology?   In the video, the guy was mostly using it for cutting wood, with a couple mugs, but I wasn't sure of the mugs' material.   The web site seems to be mostly about cutting wood, rather than, for example, engraving receivers and barrels.   Will it engrave metal like a 50w fiber laser?

I wonder if it will do glass.   I have a 50w galvo type fiber laser.   Someone wanted me to engrave some glasses, but I couldn't get it to do anything to the glass, even at high power and slow speed.   I even tried painting the glass first.  It burned through the paint nicely, but left only a barely discernible image on the glass.   From what I further researched, apparently you need a CO2 laser to etch glass.

The price is considerably less than my 50w fiber laser was, like about 1/4 the cost.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#16]
From looking at the specs for the machine, it does seem to be mostly aimed at cutting soft things.  It mentions engraving dark anodized aluminum or painted metal, so I think it would just burn through the paint or anodizing, but not get down into the metal.   It also mentions cutting stainless, but the example they show is only 0.0059" thick.
It doesn't sound like it's going to do well for engraving guns and the like.
Still, an interesting machine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#17]
It would need multiple passes to engrave aluminum to marking depth

it is not a 60 watt fiber, yet

this is more like an open source glowforge

but that laser is ready for a future upgradde

it comes in 10, 22 and 40 watts
the unit runs lightburn

i could see coating a receiver with a resist masking spray

then engraving thru the paint layer

then electo etching the un masked areas

and then chemically removing the masking spray
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Multipass looks successful

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 5:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#20]
Sorry guys. Haven't been making much this week. Out hiking Idaho. I'm a bit sore after this mornings hike.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I am working on a fun design though
Sneak peak
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Tactical Machining just told me that NO ONE is buying these from them right now. I couldn't believe it when she said that. I figured it would be the opposite. She said they were about to have to close up shop, but she would get my order out if I placed one today.

I'm shaken that she said that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:
Tactical Machining just told me that NO ONE is buying these from them right now. I couldn't believe it when she said that. I figured it would be the opposite. She said they were about to have to close up shop, but she would get my order out if I placed one today.

View Quote

My buy price from them is 299 for 10. They have been sitting at 499 for 10 for a few weeks now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Damn.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#24]

View Quote
I'm not at all surprised no one is buying them now.   A few weeks ago, they were $30 each with free shipping deal.   I bought a case.  Now they are $50 each and no free shipping , which is higher than they have been in over a year.   I was buying lots of them over the past year for amounts in the $40s and even into high $30s.    I sorely regret not buying even more at $30, which was a hell of a deal.   So now I'm just waiting for the price to come down again.   I do hope they don't go out of business.

Plus the market is getting pretty saturated.   Everyone who wants one has at least 5 by now.    I know all my friends and associates are saturated.   I've been passing them on at cost since early 2022, and the last batch I gott all went to people who had already bought several from me.  I think the only reason we all bought them at $30 was because the price was so low.   Probably $50 each is still a good price, but not when you've tasted $30.   At $50, or even in the $40s, I will only buy what people pre-order from me.    At $30, I will buy a case anyway, even if no one has ordered them from me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I'm not at all surprised no one is buying them now.   A few weeks ago, they were $30 each with free shipping deal.   I bought a case.  Now they are $50 each and no free shipping , which is higher than they have been in over a year.   I was buying lots of them over the past year for amounts in the $40s and even into high $30s.    I sorely regret not buying even more at $30, which was a hell of a deal.   So now I'm just waiting for the price to come down again.   I do hope they don't go out of business.

Plus the market is getting pretty saturated.   Everyone who wants one has at least 5 by now.    I know all my friends and associates are saturated.   I've been passing them on at cost since early 2022, and the last batch I gott all went to people who had already bought several from me.  I think the only reason we all bought them at $30 was because the price was so low.   Probably $50 each is still a good price, but not when you've tasted $30.   At $50, or even in the $40s, I will only buy what people pre-order from me.    At $30, I will buy a case anyway, even if no one has ordered them from me.
View Quote

I don't think I could actually sell them, engraved, for enough to warrant buying at 50 bucks each. There isn't much profit at the rate I'm charging now.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife has me working on some donation project for her leather bag friends now.
Some type of bag tag or something.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I am not overly artistic but a starwars and stargate logo lowers would be sweet!   I am surprised no one has one already drawn up.   Can anyone draw those?

Thanks,  
Ghilly
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]
And this thread is one of the best in a long time😁
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:22:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#30]
Originally Posted By Ghilly:
I am not overly artistic but a starwars and stargate logo lowers would be sweet!   I am surprised no one has one already drawn up.   Can anyone draw those?

Thanks,  
Ghilly
View Quote

I've thought about doing a starwars theme lower. I'm not a huge fan, so would need someone to tell me what exactly to put on it. My luck I'd put some jar jar binks reference on it and everyone would hate me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]

I've thought about doing a starwars theme lower. I'm not a huge fan, so would need someone to tell me what exactly to put on it. My luck I'd put some jar jar binks reference on it and everyone would hate me.
View Quote
MEESA SAFE and MEESA FIRE selector marks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Needs more Trogdor the Burninator

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#33]
MEESA SAFE and MEESA FIRE selector marks.
View Quote

Ef. Now I kinda want to make a horrible starwars one. Lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Needs more Trogdor the Burninator

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/4D7A5DBC-7715-4683-87DB-EB29071385B7-2300840.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#35]
You know, you just have to do what the customer asks for sometimes...
Just sent him photos. Super excited.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Made some earings for my wife's birthday tonight.
Bought some 14ga 925 silver sheet. Took almost two hours of burn time to cut out.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice work!
View Quote

Thanks!
She loved them
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Tactical Machining just put their 10-packs on sale for $400.   I sure wish I'd bought more cases when it was $300 and free shipping!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Oops. Used the incorrect settings for the right side, above the trigger guard. went a little too deep. Lol.
Add to my blems to sell at a discount

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#41]
LOL. That is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Some people come up with the strangest requests...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Lol. I posted it in one of the 80% Facebook groups. It has the most attention of any lower I've posted. Already made a few for people.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Lol. I posted it in one of the 80% Facebook groups. It has the most attention of any lower I've posted. Already made a few for people.
View Quote

Good ol dickbutt!

so I did this.. Blank Navy grip, chopped off the tail. Cut new pin holes for the rear pin. and did a Binary picto engrave in the correct locations for the detents.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Good ol dickbutt!

so I did this.. Blank Navy grip, chopped off the tail. Cut new pin holes for the rear pin. and did a Binary picto engrave in the correct locations for the detents.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14562/IMG_0980_JPG-2940972.jpg
View Quote

Dang, that is some quality work!
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Best deal right now on 80% lowers is RightToBear.com

use code FREESHIP for free shipping - total cost $32 each
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#48]
That's not bad! Limit of 20.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#49]
That's not bad! Limit of 20.
View Quote
I think those come with selector marks already on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I think those come with selector marks already on them.
View Quote

That's an extra charge in a drop down menu
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top