BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3291
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WIC:
shouldn't you be starting the next round of work force rearing again soon here sy?
View Quote
Yup, already did (~300 students), and I did a senior level class this summer for the extra cash.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

Copper liners and bolsters, natural end grain canvas micarta with acid washed carbon steel... Chef's kiss.

I have black canvas, linen and burlap (iirc you didn't care for the burlap though. Too much resin or something).  I might have a couple of small pieces of the bushing left.

I replaced a pair of forklift mast trunnion bushings at work a few months ago that were made from the same or very similar stuff. I took the old ones home .
View Quote

my man!
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Yup, already did (~300 students), and I did a senior level class this summer for the extra cash.
View Quote

I see that work ethic is paying off
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#4]
Kinda got cracker crust to work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

My favorite jury instruction is the one telling jurors to consider the evidence in light of their reason, experience, and common sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

If there is one thing this election cycle has taught me, it is that source citation is unnecessary. Just ask card carrying journalists with such esteemed publications such as the New York Times.

I also have no source citations for the sun coming up tomorrow. But it is factual to state the Sun will rise tomorrow. Granted, I am not a lawyer,
however, rbb2 can certainly work with the defense I have provided above.

My favorite jury instruction is the one telling jurors to consider the evidence in light of their reason, experience, and common sense.

That's a good line.

Hopefully they came back with the appropriate verdict.
And if a Defense Attorney was advocating common sense...it was probably a stupid case that should not have been brought before the court.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]

plumbing is where the money is at
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Oh 100%, my dad's a lineman and I can definitely tell you that college degrees aren't necessary for success, but the company I worked for this summer won't hire me for engineering without the piece of paper and they're a company I have interest in working for long term. Hell, most companies won't look at me for engineering without the piece of paper. Degree requirements suck.

If I hadn't done school, I think I would have enlisted or done something electrician or HVAC related.

The cow is correct here.

I know a plumber who wears a pretty nice looking rolex while working.
He gets paid to play with other people's shit, (literally), so they're going to pay him well to do it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Reubjames:

Excellent. I started in ME, finished in CE though. I expect you'll go places with your prior experience.

Are you planning on staying in the mining industry? If so, send me some Titanium, I need some for my knives and that shit has gotten high $$

Seriously though, best of luck with your school and future career advancement once that degree is finished.
View All Quotes

Majoring in mechanical engineering, most of my engineering work experience is involved with mining and minerals processing

Excellent. I started in ME, finished in CE though. I expect you'll go places with your prior experience.

Are you planning on staying in the mining industry? If so, send me some Titanium, I need some for my knives and that shit has gotten high $$

Seriously though, best of luck with your school and future career advancement once that degree is finished.

I had no idea that so many engineers were here...
With personalities and a sense of humor as well!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Why "kinda?" That looks fantastically crispy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]

That's a good line.

And if a Defense Attorney was advocating common sense...it was probably a stupid case that should not have been brought before the court.
View All Quotes

If there is one thing this election cycle has taught me, it is that source citation is unnecessary. Just ask card carrying journalists with such esteemed publications such as the New York Times.

I also have no source citations for the sun coming up tomorrow. But it is factual to state the Sun will rise tomorrow. Granted, I am not a lawyer,
however, rbb2 can certainly work with the defense I have provided above.

That's a good line.

I've done ok with it. Won a couple, had one that got convicted of misdemeanor assault versus felony robbery (correct outcome IMO).
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]

The cow is correct here.

He gets paid to play with other people's shit, (literally), so they're going to pay him well to do it.
View All Quotes

Oh 100%, my dad's a lineman and I can definitely tell you that college degrees aren't necessary for success, but the company I worked for this summer won't hire me for engineering without the piece of paper and they're a company I have interest in working for long term. Hell, most companies won't look at me for engineering without the piece of paper. Degree requirements suck.

If I hadn't done school, I think I would have enlisted or done something electrician or HVAC related.

The cow is correct here.

The largest landlord in my town is the owner of a plumbing company.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
https://i.imgur.com/AsE3rzH.jpeg

mmmmm, grass clippings
View Quote

Me, too!

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Majoring in mechanical engineering, most of my engineering work experience is involved with mining and minerals processing

I started AeroE and then added Mech E as a second major as so many of the pre reqs were the same and I thought it would make me seem less specific and open more doors.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#13]

We mine copper my good sir, with a side of molybendum. Which while good for knife steels, isn’t titanium.

But yeah I want to stay in it. Copper mining isn’t going anywhere with how focused the world is on electrification. And it keeps me in rural Arizona which I love.
View Quote

Very true but Ti knife parts are cooler.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:48:17 AM EDT
[#14]
https://i.imgur.com/wvn7LsJ.jpg
View Quote

That's a cool shot. The laser texture on those really looks good
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
JABA was thinking of me

https://i.imgur.com/BoB9sGI.jpg
View Quote

Aww.

Good dude.

Another one lost to shooting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#16]

careful.

we used to have a rocket engineer in here.

he got banned.

not by us, but by management.
View All Quotes

Yeah but I’d rather do in-flight missile repair. That sounds way more interesting.

careful.

we used to have a rocket engineer in here.

he got banned.

not by us, but by management.

I’m right here you lout!

And it’s Rocket Surgeon!
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#17]
JABA was thinking of me

View Quote

That’s pretty epic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Kinda got cracker crust to work.

View Quote

I'd say you nailed the St Louis style crust.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#19]

I've done ok with it. Won a couple, had one that got convicted of misdemeanor assault versus felony robbery (correct outcome IMO).
View Quote

Getting a felony knocked down to a misdemeanor is something I would consider a win for the defense. Sounds like it's working well.

The largest landlord in my town is the owner of a plumbing company.
View Quote

Yeah, money can be made in the trades.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Why "kinda?" That looks fantastically crispy.
View Quote
It was. The bottom was great, but the crust was a little too crunchy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#21]

I'd say you nailed the St Louis style crust.
View Quote
Need to dial in the cook time, but the dough definitely worked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#22]

I’m right here you lout!

And it’s Rocket Surgeon!
View Quote

cute

we did send a monkey to space. years ago...
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Me, too!

https://i.imgur.com/kY2pvTZ.jpeg
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/AsE3rzH.jpeg

mmmmm, grass clippings

Me, too!

https://i.imgur.com/kY2pvTZ.jpeg

What's going on in the salad? Fish?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reubjames] [#24]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I started AeroE and then added Mech E as a second major as so many of the pre reqs were the same and I thought it would make me seem less specific and open more doors.
View Quote

My Dad got his undergrad in Aero then his masters and PhD focused on materials. He did spend some time early on at General Dynamics working on the F-111 but then spent the vast majority of his career (~40 years) as a bridge expert/researcher and teaching civil engineering classes at TAMU as well as running the student advising for the civil department. The good engineers can do it all even if they didn't specifically learn it at school. It's the engineering mindset that comes naturally to some people that really sets them apart. The ability to solve problems on the fly, recognize the root cause of the issue intuitively, and come up with unique solutions. When they have it, it's noticeable. Some of that certainly comes from life experience, some of it is what I like to call the "knack" and people either have it or they don't. Dilbert makes fun of it a bit but there is something to it and it's obvious when someone has it.

Dilbert - The Knack "The Curse of the Engineer"

Ok, enough engineer dribble from me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#25]

I had no idea that so many engineers were here...
With personalities and a sense of humor as well!!
View Quote

Most engineers I know enjoy guns and knives at least the ones over 30 that didn't get brainwashed at school. Not sure why.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#26]

which reminds me Reub, copper liners??? could skip some g10 then. copper bolsters? hmmm.....
View Quote

Yeah we could definitely give copper a try. I could mill out integral bolsters and liner from a copper bar. Could even use copper pins and make the shield in copper too. I do think the pivot pin might be best in stainless for durability so there may be a stainless "dot" in the middle of the top bolster. I'll think on that a bit. I'm ordering some material this week so I'll add a copper bar, pin stock, and sheet stock to my order. I think it'd look good with that crosscut micarta.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

Copper liners and bolsters, natural end grain canvas micarta with acid washed carbon steel... Chef's kiss.

View Quote

@WIC Maybe some 52100 steel with a mild etch?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Yeah we could definitely give copper a try. I could mill out integral bolsters and liner from a copper bar. Could even use copper pins and make the shield in copper too. I do think the pivot pin might be best in stainless for durability so there may be a stainless "dot" in the middle of the top bolster. I'll think on that a bit. I'm ordering some material this week so I'll add a copper bar, pin stock, and sheet stock to my order. I think it'd look good with that crosscut micarta.
View Quote

I’ve seen copper liners done before, not bolsters. Now I’m curious what the patina looks like on those over time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#29]

I’ve seen copper liners done before, not bolsters. Now I’m curious what the patina looks like on those over time.
View Quote

Should look nice. I have seen a few on some slipjoints in some of the knifemaking groups I'm in. I've never done them before but certainly happy to give it a try. Could be an epic failure or could be a really unique knife. Either way it'll be fun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

What's going on in the salad? Fish?
View Quote

Sardines in mustard sauce.

They were on the discount shelf for 75 cents at the front of Menards, a one stop shop for all of your hardware, lumber, and tinned fish needs.

They were pretty decent given the price, but upon closer examination the ingredients list "vegetable" oil instead of the preferred olive oil, as well as sugar. And the fish themselves, despite being tinned in the sauce, were still quite dry. I'll eat the other ones (I got 4), but I probably won't buy more if they're there the next time I go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Getting a felony knocked down to a misdemeanor is something I would consider a win for the defense. Sounds like it's working well.

Yeah, money can be made in the trades.
View Quote

My electrician, who is not the owner of the business he works for, drives a current model M3 and has a bourbon collection three times bigger than mine consisting primarily of allocated bottles.

yeah, trades are alive and well
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]

@WIC Maybe some 52100 steel with a mild etch?
View Quote

while not opposed to 51200, is there something similar with a little better edge retention that is still easy to sharpen. I have been out of the steel hotness loop for a while, so nothing coming to mind, but is there something similar to Elmax or S35Vn on the non stainless side? something less than 15V? Or is what I am describing 52100? DFARM, isn't one or more of my kitchen knives 52100?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Should look nice. I have seen a few on some slipjoints in some of the knifemaking groups I'm in. I've never done them before but certainly happy to give it a try. Could be an epic failure or could be a really unique knife. Either way it'll be fun.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I wish I had the time and money to try my hand at making knives. Maybe once I’m a little more established in life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#34]

My electrician, who is not the owner of the business he works for, drives a current model M3 and has a bourbon collection three times bigger than mine consisting primarily of allocated bottles.

yeah, trades are alive and well
View Quote

Electricians do make bank. Especially in the copper mine cause they can have 80-100 hour weeks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]

while not opposed to 51200, is there something similar with a little better edge retention that is still easy to sharpen. I have been out of the steel hotness loop for a while, so nothing coming to mind, but is there something similar to Elmax or S35Vn on the non stainless side? something less than 15V? Or is what I am describing 52100? DFARM, isn't one or more of my kitchen knives 52100?
View Quote

Maybe some ApexUltra. I can get some from one of my regular suppliers. I've never worked with it but it appears to heat treat similar to all the other carbon steel I've used. It was developed by the Knife Steel Nerds guys. Better edge retention than 51200 by a lot, slightly less toughness, same corrosion resistance. Below are some screen grabs from the Knife Steel Nerds site from the carbon steel section of this article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/knife-steels-rated-by-a-metallurgist-toughness-edge-retention-and-corrosion-resistance/

Links to ApexUltra info:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2022/09/06/how-to-heat-treat-apexultra-knife-steel/
https://www.apexultrasteel.com/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Maybe some ApexUltra. I can get some from one of my regular suppliers. I've never worked with it but it appears to heat treat similar to all the other carbon steel I've used. It was developed by the Knife Steel Nerds guys. Better edge retention than 51200 by a lot, slightly less toughness, same corrosion resistance. Below are some screen grabs from the Knife Steel Nerds site from the carbon steel section of this article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/knife-steels-rated-by-a-metallurgist-toughness-edge-retention-and-corrosion-resistance/

Links to ApexUltra info:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2022/09/06/how-to-heat-treat-apexultra-knife-steel/
https://www.apexultrasteel.com/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59685/Screenshot_2024-08-23_115024_jpg-3302333.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59685/Screenshot_2024-08-23_115056_jpg-3302334.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59685/Screenshot_2024-08-23_115126_jpg-3302335.JPG
View Quote

I haven't been keeping up with things either, apparently. That's cool, it looks like the MagnaCut of carbon steels, pushing the toughness/edge retention balance out beyond the established norms.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#37]

I haven't been keeping up with things either, apparently. That's cool, it looks like the MagnaCut of carbon steels, pushing the toughness/edge retention balance out beyond the established norms.
View Quote

My only thought is how does it handle the stress as a backspring. I can't find any info from slipjoint makers using it. I could run my own test on some or I can always make the spring from 52100 since I know it has a track record of being able to withstand the stress cycles from opening and closing. I'll read some more about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I like you.

Let's fuck around and find out.

I volunteer for testing
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I like you.

Let's fuck around and find out.

I volunteer for testing
View Quote

Sounds good, I'll grab a bar of the Apex Ultra. Worst that can happen is the back spring snaps eventually and I have to make a new spring. With the number of knives you rotate through, that may be many years down the road if it even happens.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Sounds good, I'll grab a bar of the Apex Ultra. Worst that can happen is the back spring snaps eventually and I have to make a new spring. With the number of knives you rotate through, that may be many years down the road if it even happens.
View Quote

I'll make a point to be particularly abusive to it

for science
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#43]

I'll make a point to be particularly abusive to it

for science
View Quote

Trust the science
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Oh yeah, I wish I had the time and money to try my hand at making knives. Maybe once I’m a little more established in life.
View Quote

You can start super cheap and it's a lot of fun. All you really need is a file, a hacksaw, a drill w/ bits, sandpaper, a propane torch, and some material. You probably have much of that already in your toolbox.

The time is definitely the hardest material to source, can't help you there much.

I'm realize I'm fortunate to be at a spot where I can spend quality time on my hobby turned small side gig. It took a while to get to this point.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#45]

cute

View All Quotes

I’m right here you lout!

And it’s Rocket Surgeon!

cute

Yup.

Cows are still terrestrial.
You're welcome for my service.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven't posted in a while. Think I'm having a reaction to new meds! No ambition and tired and sore!
Outing tomorrow. Hope I can go.
Bringing these. Lol!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Fiber Friday today with the Doctor.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife loves those (state fair zinnia I believe).
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Boba and dumplings for Fiber Friday.

Soup dumplings on the left and pork, mushroom and onion on the right. Amazing.
Page / 3291
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top