Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The slider is actually better, especially for a work van.
You can have the windows cut in if that's what you think is missing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]
A little more progress tonight.  Installed one lighting kit for now.
Attachment Attached File

Built the cabinet face out of some good 8 foot pine boards. Counter sunk and pre drilled all holes. Set it in its permanent position.  I think it came out pretty well.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
My brother in law did something like that. The hardest part is how to heat it. Especially without dying in your sleep. In the summer it's a hot box, but you can open the doors.
I found it was great in concept, but fell a little short. But have fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother in law did something like that. The hardest part is how to heat it. Especially without dying in your sleep. In the summer it's a hot box, but you can open the doors.
View Quote
Beating the heat might be a little challenging without putting on an rv a.c. unit.  But then I have comfortably slept under a tonneau cover in the bed of a pickup in July at oshkosh.  As long as you can have some ventilation I would think it will be fine.

I can tell you for a fact that I made sure it was insulated far better than 95 percent of the campers I have worked on.  

Heat if I use it in the off season will likely be with a propane powered little buddy.  Which with a little ventilation to pull in some fresh air will be absolutely fine.  There will be a co, propane and smoke detector installed before heat is used.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Spent 2hrs going down the van life rabbit hole on YouTube this morning. Some really cool builds out there. One guy had a bad ass sprinter he actually put a shower pan into it and the drain ran to a boat bilge pump and pumped it into his grey water tank which was inside and able to be used year round. and he had a little composting toilet that hides away under a cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Spent 2hrs going down the van life rabbit hole on YouTube this morning. Some really cool builds out there. One guy had a bad ass sprinter he actually put a shower pan into it and the drain ran to a boat bilge pump and pumped it into his grey water tank which was inside and able to be used year round. and he had a little composting toilet that hides away under a cabinet.
View Quote
I feel you.  I stumbled onto one once and two weeks later I was plotting my “getaway” from normal life.  Thank goodness my wife talked me down off the ledge.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I feel you.  I stumbled onto one once and two weeks later I was plotting my “getaway” from normal life.  Thank goodness my wife talked me down off the ledge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Though I have thought about it in the past. The goal for this is not the van life gig.  Just a place to sleep and clean up during long trips to events.

There is some cool shit out there.  People are creative.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Did a little more work on the cabinets tonight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This for some reason has been relaxing for me to fart with after work.  Beats being lazy I guess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
That's badass, OP! I've always wanted to do this with an surplus LMTV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Started the bed frame.  Ran out of time to work on it tonight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's badass, OP! I've always wanted to do this with an surplus LMTV.
View Quote
Do it so I can live vicariously through you
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I like this.

Keep the outside as is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I bet it smells good in there. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Good work OP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Going with your screen name....  I told my wife maybe I will get a custom plate that reads "CORONER"
View Quote
If that’s not available, try:

FNRLHOM

or

CREMATE

Link Posted: 4/20/2019 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Oh yeah, outstanding!
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Beating the heat might be a little challenging without putting on an rv a.c. unit.  But then I have comfortably slept under a tonneau cover in the bed of a pickup in July at oshkosh.  As long as you can have some ventilation I would think it will be fine.

I can tell you for a fact that I made sure it was insulated far better than 95 percent of the campers I have worked on.  

Heat if I use it in the off season will likely be with a propane powered little buddy.  Which with a little ventilation to pull in some fresh air will be absolutely fine.  There will be a co, propane and smoke detector installed before heat is used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ventilation looks like it might be a real problem.

It doesn't like you have any windows that open in the rear of that van. Unless you're planning on sleeping with doors open, that's not going to work too well.

The easiest option might be to try replacing entire doors with those from a passenger van with windows. Hopefully, those will have the style of windows my Astro had. Those pop outward at the bottom so you can have them open, even when it's raining.

At camp sites with power, I used to hang a box fan over the driver's side 2nd row window to move more air through the vehicle. It worked brilliantly.

If you're really adventurous, you could install one of those low voltage mini attic fan things some RVs have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Subscribing to this one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It doesn't like you have any windows that open in the rear of that van. Unless you're planning on sleeping with doors open, that's not going to work too well.

The easiest option might be to try replacing entire doors with those from a passenger van with windows. Hopefully, those will have the style of windows my Astro had. Those pop outward at the bottom so you can have them open, even when it's raining.

At camp sites with power, I used to hang a box fan over the driver's side 2nd row window to move more air through the vehicle. It worked brilliantly.

If you're really adventurous, you could install one of those low voltage mini attic fan things some RVs have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will have a Maxx-fan installed in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#23]
You need a port hole window in the back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Check into sliding tracks for your under bed storage. It would make the area more usable.

https://sprinter-camper.com/heavy-duty-storage-drawers-for-sprinter-vans/
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#25]
This looks great.  I can't wait to see it finished.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Looking good man!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This leaked out of the social media guy for a Dodge dealer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vlhG_pkNM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Murder van?
My brother calls it a hit van.  

I call it my roadtrip/camper van.
This leaked out of the social media guy for a Dodge dealer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4vlhG_pkNM

That was great.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Cool!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Are you removing that divider? And is that a side door? Seems like that would make a convenient pass through for the front without opening the back.

Edit: I see you said no earlier.

I think you should consider it. The light alone would be worthwhile, and it would feel less cramped.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I feel like just looking at that picture potentially exposed me to herpes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah needs a pair of 12volt roof mounted fans.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Instead of heat, why not a 12v electric blanket?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Instead of heat, why not a 12v electric blanket?
View Quote
Not a terrible idea for sleeping.  Not so much if you have to spend time in it when it is cold out.

Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#34]
We have a 2016 Chevy Express and when we went to take the kids Trick or Treating last year all the kids where saying "White van!" "Aaaugghh!"

So next year I will have my 5-year-old rub his hands all over the van after putting ketchup on them. Maybe have a piece of clothing hanging out of the side door.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We have a 2016 Chevy Express and when we went to take the kids Trick or Treating last year all the kids where saying "White van!" "Aaaugghh!"

So next year I will have my 5-year-old rub his hands all over the van after putting ketchup on them. Maybe have a piece of clothing hanging out of the side door.
View Quote
lol that sounds like an excellent way to get pulled over at gunpoint due to some stuffy soccer mom
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
lol that sounds like an excellent way to get pulled over at gunpoint due to some stuffy soccer mom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sense of adventure!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool OP
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No sense of adventure!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sense of adventure!
I didn't say I wouldn't do it
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#39]
A bit of small work today.  Sanding, installing door and drawer hardware,  installing cabinet floors and drawer bottoms, lighting and more insulation on the floors in the storage areas.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Not too late to include a wood stove in your build.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/products/cb-1210-br-cubic-mini-wood-stove

I think a box of tooth picks will provide all the BTU's you will need
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or all the little strips and leftover scraps would keep it heated for a while.

Link Posted: 4/21/2019 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks Goodn to me!
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
A smoking van in a parking lot is a good way to have the fire department show up. Kind of kills the stealth camper angle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Makes me miss the 7.3 Quigley that I drove all over Alaska for work. Took that thing all the way up to Deadhorse several times one winter delivering crew when flights weren’t making it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A smoking van in a parking lot is a good way to have the fire department show up. Kind of kills the stealth camper angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand some of the good little stoves burn pretty cleanly and put out little to no smoke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#46]
How much weight are you adding? Have you put any thought into beefing up the suspension?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How much weight are you adding? Have you put any thought into beefing up the suspension?
View Quote
I would say it is under 800 lbs.

The van is a 3/4 ton van that was used for a plumbing and heating company.  It probably had three times that in shit in it before I got it.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Neat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Neat.
View Quote
Carpentry looks very clean. Subscribed.

Also, in terms of heating, with the insulation it will be way better than a tent. So how cold are you planning on being.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Your bed looks designed for the sleeper's body to be orthogonal to the long axis of the van. That will be cramped.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top