Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joker581:
I don’t wash mine but I’m really only wearing it because both work and the PX/commissary require it. However, I’ve been pretty pleased with the number of times I’ve had someone that I don’t like fail to recognize me and keep walking instead of talking to me.
View Quote

I was in line behind my uncle last Friday, at a tiny grocery store near the ranch, and didn't realize it was him for almost 5 minutes and that's only because he moves slow as hell after a stroke.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
I have one mask.

It sits on the dash of my car until I get to whatever place that requires I wear it.
View Quote

And sunlight probably sterilizes it in a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

And sunlight probably sterilizes it in a matter of minutes.
View Quote

That hasn’t been tested.  UV lamps are not completely effective.  Also the windshield may reduces the UV light transmission.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I rotate them leaving them on the dash of the truck to cook.  I take them into the shop and put them under a UV light once in a while too.  Nobody is hardly wearing mask but me and a couple of the guys in their 60's.  I have been to a lot of construction areas and nobody is wearing them.  shopping you see about 50 % using them.  

I wear them because I don't want to get sick or die.  I am not wearing them for the other guy.  Doctors and Nurses who are treating covid patients are not wearing them to save the covid patient they are wearing them to protect themselves and their family.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Security theater
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Where I am forced to wear on, I only cover my mouth.  I'm not breathing though one.  The mask is a placebo, actually unhealthy the way people use them.  I have a few, wear once and in the washer it goes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Mask wearers...

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If masks work then why isn't everything open?
If masks don't work then why are we wearing them?

View Quote
A FUCKINMEN

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Haven't worn one.

Don't own any.
View Quote

Same here. Except for the office, I haven't stopped going to the places I normally go, and I realized how seldom I go to places that have been deemed "nonessential".

I was looking for a mask in my tool chests the other day, because I was going to do some sanding, but I realized I must have run out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have one
haven't cleaned it
haven't worn it for more than 10 minutes total

went to 2 stores in Peoria this morning without one mainly because most people I saw were not wearing them either

View Quote

I kid, seems in the tri county area even the nurses at Methodist walking in and out wear them like people at Walmart.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont care what other people do or do not do.

Work requires a mask in communal areas only. I wear one to take a piss as required.

I bring one home every night to be washed and return with a clean one the next day.

What's really funny and kinda makes it worth the effort, is. We have a "hazmat" team, that goes around dressed in full body tyvek suits, gloves taped at the wrists, masks and a face shield, anytime someone has a "symptom" and is sent home.
They have their spray bottles, wipes, bio bags and a black light.
It's all a game, I play along.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If masks work then why isn't everything open?
If masks don't work then why are we wearing them?

View Quote

what if they work, some?

its not a binary issue
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For everyone who wears a mask out, are you wearing it so you don't get the virus or are you wearing it so you don't spread it?
View Quote

I wear one frequently

I wear it 95% so I don't spread anything.

5% in hopes I don't catch anything.

Im not particularly high risk, but I have regular direct contact with people with COVID and I'd rather not share that with people
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
We use an ozone generator to sterilize the used masks. Don't go out much at all so the masks are rarely used and only for brief amounts of time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BigMat:

Im not particularly high risk, but I have regular direct contact with people with COVID and I'd rather not share that with people
View Quote

Maybe it is just me, but is that how is that not high risk?

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
As mentioned before the mask is to protect others, not you. It's required here anywhere you may come within 6' of someone. At first it made some sense when we really didn't know much about it. Now we know that this thing isn't particularly dangerous unless you're high risk. We also know there's unlikely to be a cure or vaccine soon. We also know people that self isolate can still get it (see NYC stats). We also know that hospitals are not overloaded. So, it makes more sense now to start working on herd immunity (which may or may not help I guess).

So with that said, I wear one because I have to and it's not worth an argument. I wear the same cloth one all the time, don't wash it often, and don't care. I don't wear one outside.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

Maybe it is just me, but is that how is that not high risk?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Im not particularly high risk, but I have regular direct contact with people with COVID and I'd rather not share that with people

High exposure to it doesn't mean he's at high risk of dying from it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm wearing a mask only when I have to (I don't believe they have any appreciable affect on transmission of this or any other virus):

1. To enter businesses (it's mandatory for customers in Delaware)
2.  When interacting with the public at work, which is a small portion of my total work time (the company I work for has mandated it).

Both because I have to if I don't want to get denied entry to the business (it's mandatory for customers in Delaware), cited for violation of the .Gov's orders, or fired for failing to comply with a company directive.  I think masks are BS, but it's not worth not being able to buy anything, paying a fine, or losing my career and pension over.

On the topic of the question, I wash it once a week or so.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not particularly high risk, but I have regular direct contact with people with COVID and I'd rather not share that with people

Maybe it is just me, but is that how is that not high risk?

This

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
There isn't much reason to be worried about normal mouth and skin flora, compared to this new coronavirus lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I ran out of masks so I carry a measuring tape wherever I go and measure out six feet between me and other individuals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#22]

This

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

High exposure to it doesn't mean he's at high risk of dying from it.

This

That is fair enough, but high risk is high risk (not sure what the real definition is), and haven't a lot of middle aged otherwise mostly healthy people died from it?

I guess all I am saying is I'd rather not be around those with it if I had a choice regardless. Is this part of your job? I think I'd be wearing an N95 or better one no matter the reason and not just some panties / tee shirt material or the like on my head. I think a lot feel they are safe, when they probably really aren't.

ETA: Dying from it and being laid up for a month fighting it are also different scenarios, and ending up being an asymptomatic carrier and not knowing it has it's own risks..

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Before my dad passed he just receive a huge order of medical supplies through hospice that included masks, hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol and gloves. I personally also have several hundred disposable masks. I wear once but I kept a few that I set aside in my car as an emergency mask in case I forget. Just Lysol them and let dry for a few days and the virus will die off by itself.

I also have a homemade mask that gets washed every day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m using one of Stacey Abrams dirty thongs over my face. The people near me are guaranteed to stay away 6’ or more
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wear a mask as better protection FOR you, not me.  Surprised you dont understand this.
View Quote
I am tired of explaining this!

Now I am just here to laugh at the gradation!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]

That is fair enough, but high risk is high risk (not sure what the real definition is), and haven't a lot of middle aged otherwise mostly healthy people died from it?

I guess all I am saying is I'd rather not be around those with it if I had a choice regardless. Is this part of your job? I think I'd be wearing an N95 or better one no matter the reason and not just some panties / tee shirt material or the like on my head. I think a lot feel they are safe, when they probably really aren't.

ETA: Dying from it and being laid up for a month fighting it are also different scenarios, and ending up being an asymptomatic carrier and not knowing it has it's own risks..

View All Quotes

High exposure to it doesn't mean he's at high risk of dying from it.

This

That is fair enough, but high risk is high risk (not sure what the real definition is), and haven't a lot of middle aged otherwise mostly healthy people died from it?

I guess all I am saying is I'd rather not be around those with it if I had a choice regardless. Is this part of your job? I think I'd be wearing an N95 or better one no matter the reason and not just some panties / tee shirt material or the like on my head. I think a lot feel they are safe, when they probably really aren't.

ETA: Dying from it and being laid up for a month fighting it are also different scenarios, and ending up being an asymptomatic carrier and not knowing it has it's own risks..

No, very very few healthy people have died from it. Something like 90%+ (I want to say 99% in NYC had underlying conditions)

ETA- 94% of hospitalized patients had an underlying condition: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/health/coronavirus-patients-risk.html

And no, high risk is NOT high risk because you're confusing two things. He may be at high risk of CATCHING it, but he's not at high risk of DYING from it. This is Operation Risk Management stuff.

Using the USMC matrix because that's what I'm familiar with

Check it out. BigMat is at a 'B' in the probability scale meaning he's probably going to get it at some point (aren't we all though?) in the severity scale let's say he's a negligible (looking at the stats for otherwise healthy people it's hard to argue it's anything higher than a negligible risk he's going to die from it). This puts him at a 4 out of 5 (5 being the least risky).

When you look at it in this way, the only thing that makes sense is to take some reasonable precautions and continue with life.
If you do this and you're a 1 or 2 or a very risk adverse 3 then keep your ass at home right?

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By j97531:
I wear a mask as better protection FOR you, not me.  Surprised you dont understand this.
View Quote

Try an experiment.  Have someone who vapes or smokes take a puff/drag, then hold it in, then put the mask on and exhale.  Seriously, just try it.  Then reflect on the size of virions versus the size of visible smoke and vapor particles.  Bonus points for having the test subject use an N95 with a vent, as those seem pretty chic in the mask world.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Try an experiment.  Have someone who vapes or smokes take a puff/drag, then hold it in, then put the mask on and exhale.  Seriously, just try it.  Then reflect on the size of virions versus the size of visible smoke and vapor particles.  Bonus points for having the test subject use an N95 with a vent, as those seem pretty chic in the mask world.
View All Quotes
I wear a mask as better protection FOR you, not me.  Surprised you dont understand this.

Try an experiment.  Have someone who vapes or smokes take a puff/drag, then hold it in, then put the mask on and exhale.  Seriously, just try it.  Then reflect on the size of virions versus the size of visible smoke and vapor particles.  Bonus points for having the test subject use an N95 with a vent, as those seem pretty chic in the mask world.

The virus is in droplets for the most part, so a better experiment would be to have someone put a mask on then try to spit and see where the spit ends up, while remembering that the virus is, for the most part in saliva droplets.

ETA- IMO masks at this point are kind of dumb since hospitals are mostly empty and the best way to get this over with is to get herd immunity, but still...it's not like masks are useless like some people say.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
question for those who can't stand to see other people wearing masks. Why can't you just MYOB?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

OK, it is Friday and so, well, we drink on Friday's, and any other day that ends in "day".

Are you saying it is easier to get it and not die from it, or that you are more likely to not die from it than catching it? How about having it but not knowing it, and spreading it to ones more likely to not catch it, but less likely to die from it?

Seriously though, I will just do my best to not be around anyone known with it, and if I KNEW people had it, and I HAD to be near them, I would have the best protection on that I could.

Carry on folks and enjoy the weekend. It might be your last.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is fair enough, but high risk is high risk (not sure what the real definition is), and haven't a lot of middle aged otherwise mostly healthy people died from it?

I guess all I am saying is I'd rather not be around those with it if I had a choice regardless. Is this part of your job? I think I'd be wearing an N95 or better one no matter the reason and not just some panties / tee shirt material or the like on my head. I think a lot feel they are safe, when they probably really aren't.

ETA: Dying from it and being laid up for a month fighting it are also different scenarios, and ending up being an asymptomatic carrier and not knowing it has it's own risks..

View Quote

yeah, no choice.

I'm in N95s at work (as I have them) with people I'm suspicious of and surgical masks the rest of the time.

I'm high/very high risk of getting it (I almost assume I have at this point).  I'm low/moderately low risk of having serious negative outcomes.  I would not be at all surprised if I had it and was asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic and didn't notice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the OP saying that bacteria I exhale from my own lungs, throat, and nose is going to infect me?

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm using one of Stacey Abrams dirty thongs over my face. The people near me are guaranteed to stay away 6' or more
View Quote

It's also a good way to prevent yourself from breathing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Is the OP saying that bacteria I exhale from my own lungs, throat, and nose is going to infect me?

View Quote

I don’t think OP really knows what he’s talking about, himself.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Saw a 40 year old black female in a food store yesterday.

She was wearing glasses, eye googles, a face shield, a head covering, a scarf around her neck, two masks and rubber cleaning gloves that went up to her elbows.

I thought of the this forum and the Death Cult thread.

I felt sorry for her and those members who live in abject fear of a magical sky plaque.

I could not imagine living like that.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DenJ:

It has been demonstrated that masks can cause O2 saturation to fall, markedly in some people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DenJ:
Originally Posted By AKFF:
What is this oxygen issue you are referencing?

It has been demonstrated that masks can cause O2 saturation to fall, markedly in some people.

Co2 toxicity?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I use the same procedure mask all the time. The mask is just a facade. They are required at my job and when shopping in my state. Already had the Wu Flu and recovered before Easter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#38]
DP.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
question for those who can't stand to see other people wearing masks. Why can't you just MYOB?
View Quote

Speaking for myself, I don't care what you wear----but I rather dislike being told that I must wear a security blanket or face 6 months in jail or a $500 fine.

ETA: Especially since they can cause a decrease in blood oxygenation.  Seems kinda dumb to deliberately make myself dumber, give myself a headache, and raise my BP.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

What’s the protocol for that?  Yellow or brown in front?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By willi3d:
Originally Posted By ahnglw:
I’m using my tighty whiteys. They serve a dual purpose. After I wear a pair for a couple of days I rotate them to mask duty.

What’s the protocol for that?  Yellow or brown in front?

Skid marks encourage social distancing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Bud:

Did you stop driving your car to protect others from a potential accident?

View Quote

Why, does his car have a disease?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Speaking for myself, I don't care what you wear----but I rather dislike being told that I must wear a security blanket or face 6 months in jail or a $500 fine.

ETA: Especially since they can cause a decrease in blood oxygenation.  Seems kinda dumb to deliberately make myself dumber, give myself a headache, and raise my BP.
View Quote

Thankfully Bloen and I live in a state where the government allows people and businesses to make their own decisions on wearing masks.  Which probably explains why were wondering why this is such a big deal.

The reduction in air flow is a potential problem for some people, although for cloth masks and surgical masks it's negligible and won't make much difference.  For N95s and other types of respirators it is a real consideration for those who already have reduced lung function; if you're healthy and have no other issues then you won't even notice it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Co2 toxicity?
View Quote

It's more due to the fact that you are adding another layer for your lungs to pull air through.  If you have asthma, or emphysema, or COPD, or silicosis, or some other respiratory condition that affects your lung function, then it's going to be more difficult for you to get the same amount of air with a mask on.

ETA:  I used to run the respiratory protection program at my former employer and did fit testing for N95s and half- and full-face respirators on about 65 employees.  I've seen people with asthma pull off their N95 after a few minutes because they simply can't get enough air.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

Same.  Dashboard autoclave, El oh el.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woodsie:
Originally Posted By krustyone:
I just leave it in the truck. It's black on black and sits in the sun all day. It's an "auto"clave. 

Same.  Dashboard autoclave, El oh el.

+1
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Thanks for the reply. If that is in fact the norm, then based on all the peeps I see wearing them everywhere (even in their cars) -  I'm going to see where to invest in business that manufacture these things.
View Quote

N95 masks are supposedly going for around $20/mask, on ebay.  There is money to be made, since China shrunk the supply by buying up all of them that they could get their hands on, months ago.

Here's article about them doing it in Australia, but it seems they were also doing it here.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/chinese-company-shipped-out-millions-of-australias-masks-hand-sanitiser-glove-supplies/news-story/d5324e3676d38af509d5ac25c56e7cec
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

The efforts some go through to not understand, and inevitably to simultaneously boost themselves up as super-brave paragons of manhood, is rather amusing. The "people who wear a mask are cowards" talking point has infiltrated their circles, and they eat it up. They hear what they want to hear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Thankfully Bloen and I live in a state where the government allows people and businesses to make their own decisions on wearing masks.  Which probably explains why were wondering why this is such a big deal.

The reduction in air flow is a potential problem for some people, although for cloth masks and surgical masks it's negligible and won't make much difference.  For N95s and other types of respirators it is a real consideration for those who already have reduced lung function; if you're healthy and have no other issues then you won't even notice it.
View All Quotes

Speaking for myself, I don't care what you wear----but I rather dislike being told that I must wear a security blanket or face 6 months in jail or a $500 fine.

ETA: Especially since they can cause a decrease in blood oxygenation.  Seems kinda dumb to deliberately make myself dumber, give myself a headache, and raise my BP.

Thankfully Bloen and I live in a state where the government allows people and businesses to make their own decisions on wearing masks.  Which probably explains why were wondering why this is such a big deal.

The reduction in air flow is a potential problem for some people, although for cloth masks and surgical masks it's negligible and won't make much difference.  For N95s and other types of respirators it is a real consideration for those who already have reduced lung function; if you're healthy and have no other issues then you won't even notice it.

Fair enough.  Though as an aside, speaking as someone who has been down half a lung for a couple decades, even the cloth masks make a difference for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Thanks for the reply. If that is in fact the norm, then based on all the peeps I see wearing them everywhere (even in their cars) -  I'm going to see where to invest in business that manufacture these things.
View Quote

Sort of doing that on a small scale,
If your gonna spend money of a fabric mask it should be one you can wash like any other normal.piece of clothing.
Otherwise get one for each day of the week and rotate them, on off days leave em on a sunny windowsill.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top