Only rubber ones.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the one that came with the Mosin Nagant rifle. Looks like a really long flat heat screwdriver.
View Quote

A 91/30 with bayo is about five foot eight of get the f back.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Bayonet training was my favorite part of Army basic training (1996). I regret that I can't fix a bayonet to my 11.5" AR.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As the US spirals into a bad 1980s post apocalyptic movie have gunbros been too quick to abandon the bayonet?

Used to be in the 70s and 80s every young dope had an m7 bayonet (although I've heard people who were actually in the military thought they were junk).

Now I think with the m4 you either need a sbr or that weird extra long bayonet (can you still buy that?).?

I'm not sure I own-er I meant owned-an AR that would accept a standard bayonet.

Plus the newer big Bowie knife bayonets cost over $ 100+ and don't seem to be laying around in piles in army surplus stores. You can get something sensible like an esee or Becker for that kind of money. I don't even know what the difference between the m 9 and 10 are (is there a difference?). I'm not sure I've seen one of the newer bayonets outside of a gun show.

Have we been too quick to abandon the bayonet now that we're all going to be hiding in our cellars with our 590s pointed up the stairs at the door to the kitchen as we hear crashing, banging, and shouts of "I found a copy of the  Dukes Of Hazzard" and the sound of footfalls coming our way?
View Quote

I was bayonet form training while on leave just the other day actually...

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Any good sources for bayonet dummies?  Have a punching bag stand on the patio I could use.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
No, no, no, no...there’s two “o”s in Goose, boys.

And two “f”s in affix.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
So I purchased one of these bayonet extenders, so I can mount the bayo to my 16" carbine.

Attachment Attached File

I want to take a pic with the M7 bayonet as soon as I have the time to drag the bayo out of storage.

The mount itself is surprisingly solid.  It's steel and mounts really rigidly once the set screws are tightened.  The set screws have some yellowish goop on them like a type of thread locker I suppose.  It installed very quickly and works fine with my pencil barrel carbine.

I'll try to post a pic later when I can pull the bayonet out of storage and show it installed.

For now, here are photos off the net:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, those last two pics are mine.  It's a decent piece of gear

View Quote

Cool.  Did you ever "get stabby" with it to see if the set screws came loose or anything?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Soldiers are not stupid.  There have been many studies asking soldiers what scares them the most.  In general soldiers are most scared of things that fire HE that are invulnerable.  Artillery, 88s, tanks, tiger tanks, bouncing bettys,  Stuka dive bombers, etc.  sharp things come in near last.

There are many organizations, military, LE, who specifically are trained, equipped, and experienced for fighting at close range.  If fixing bayonets was useful or fearsome then perhaps somebody would have fixed bayonets. Seems there is a lot of consensus there is a better way.  The universal trend is a long gun and easily accessible pistol.  I suggest deferring to that.  

Historically, there were many studies made by doctors as far back as Waterloo and earlier that indicate soldiers are actually squeamish about stabbing and contact wounds are usually blunt force injuries, as punching is more intuitive.  If someone really had a need to add such training then go get an M16A2 and practice buttstroke and smash, or swing it like a bat.  There is a lot of evidence that’s what really happens.  Read John Keegan’s Face of Battle, for example.
Most edged weapon wounds were cavalrymen who had no other weapon.  Give an infantryman a musket and historically it is usually used as a club.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
No thanks.  I'll just call in broken arrow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Soldiers are not stupid.  There have been many studies asking soldiers what scares them the most.  In general soldiers are most scared of things that fire HE that are invulnerable.  Artillery, 88s, tanks, tiger tanks, bouncing bettys,  Stuka dive bombers, etc.  sharp things come in near last.

There are many organizations, military, LE, who specifically are trained, equipped, and experienced for fighting at close range.  If fixing bayonets was useful or fearsome then perhaps somebody would have fixed bayonets. Seems there is a lot of consensus there is a better way.  The universal trend is a long gun and easily accessible pistol.  I suggest deferring to that.  

Historically, there were many studies made by doctors as far back as Waterloo and earlier that indicate soldiers are actually squeamish about stabbing and contact wounds are usually blunt force injuries, as punching is more intuitive.  If someone really had a need to add such training then go get an M16A2 and practice buttstroke and smash, or swing it like a bat.  There is a lot of evidence that’s what really happens.  Read John Keegan’s Face of Battle, for example.
Most edged weapon wounds were cavalrymen who had no other weapon.  Give an infantryman a musket and historically it is usually used as a club.
View Quote

The Brits seemingly fix bayonets on the regular, both in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Won't fit over the ASR mount I have on everything I own, so fuck it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#18]
18" barrel with Mad Dog hybrid flash suppressor and YHM front sight gas block.   My FDE rainbow:

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As the US spirals into a bad 1980s post apocalyptic movie have gunbros been too quick to abandon the bayonet?

Used to be in the 70s and 80s every young dope had an m7 bayonet (although I've heard people who were actually in the military thought they were junk).

Now I think with the m4 you either need a sbr or that weird extra long bayonet (can you still buy that?).?

I'm not sure I own-er I meant owned-an AR that would accept a standard bayonet.

Plus the newer big Bowie knife bayonets cost over $ 100+ and don't seem to be laying around in piles in army surplus stores. You can get something sensible like an esee or Becker for that kind of money. I don't even know what the difference between the m 9 and 10 are (is there a difference?). I'm not sure I've seen one of the newer bayonets outside of a gun show.

Have we been too quick to abandon the bayonet now that we're all going to be hiding in our cellars with our 590s pointed up the stairs at the door to the kitchen as we hear crashing, banging, and shouts of "I found a copy of the  Dukes Of Hazzard" and the sound of footfalls coming our way?
View Quote

A much more effective weapon is the e-tool. It doesn't get stuck in the body like a bayonet.

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  A much more effective weapon is the e-tool. It doesn't get stuck in the body like a bayonet.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Trifold-e-tool.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, that's why the rest of the world's militaries have shovel lugs on their rifles.  All those pics of troops w/ bayonets fixed in the 1st & 2nd WW are just reenactors.  The real soldiers fixed shovels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Get shoulder to shoulder with 20 guys or in a trench and see which works better.

Also, baonets do get stuck after stabbing people. The next guy over gets you while your trying to get your bayonet out.

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why the rest of the world's militaries have shovel lugs on their rifles.  All those pics of troops w/ bayonets fixed in the 1st & 2nd WW are just reenactors.  The real soldiers fixed shovels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  A much more effective weapon is the e-tool. It doesn't get stuck in the body like a bayonet.

You ever talk to wwii vets or just watch movies?
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
no, I don't have any appropriate test media, yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.  Did you ever "get stabby" with it to see if the set screws came loose or anything?
no, I don't have any appropriate test media, yet

So I found out last night, even without "abusing" the mount by sticking the bayonet into things that it develops a wobble on the bayonet lug pretty quickly just mounting and dismounting the knife.

My carbine has a pencil barrel and the design looks like it was meant to rest against a standard profile barrel for support.  Without that the two set screws just aren't enough to keep it rock solid.  I think a third set screw in the bottom might cure that, but I'm debating if it's worth the trouble to have a  hole drilled and tapped or not.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  So I found out last night, even without "abusing" the mount by sticking the bayonet into things that it develops a wobble on the bayonet lug pretty quickly just mounting and dismounting the knife.

My carbine has a pencil barrel and the design looks like it was meant to rest against a standard profile barrel for support.  Without that the two set screws just aren't enough to keep it rock solid.  I think a third set screw in the bottom might cure that, but I'm debating if it's worth the trouble to have a  hole drilled and tapped or not.
View Quote

For a little more money, just get a mid-gas bbl that solves the issue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they were alive, I did talk to them.  That's how I met the only man I ever knew that hunted deer w/ a machinegun.

But you can pick up any military history book, or just look at any military firearm from the last three hundred years and ascertain yourself whether it has a bayonet lug or a shovel lug.  The Brits in Afghanistan, when they were in the fight, weren't assaulting Taliban positions waving shovels.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think you're right.  I decided to use a hammer and punch to peen the metal around the lug channel to tighten it up and I blue locktited the crap out of it.  Mine is pretty solid now.
View Quote

So you installed the adapter, then basically "staked" some divots into it with a punch?  In other words, after installing the mount  you did the peening?

I'd love to see pics if you'd care to post them.  That's an idea I hadn't thought of.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
If it gets down to bayonet range fighting it’s going to be pretty tough to butt stroke some faggot in the face with a folding or collapsing stock make of plastic....just sayin.

Fluffy the Cat has the right tools for the job.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Arcelin Mousqueton: 1850s Breechloader

Go big or go home!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXFSmhS_1c
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Speaking of bayonets, which shotgun is it that comes with the bayonet lug for the M7?  Mossberg 590?  Can you just go out and get one of those with the bayo lug?
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If it gets down to bayonet range fighting it’s going to be pretty tough to butt stroke some faggot in the face with a folding or collapsing stock make of plastic....just sayin.

Fluffy the Cat has the right tools for the job.
View Quote

If you are outnumbered and potentially outgunned, your goal should be to get into bayonet range.

This has been well established since just over 300 years ago. It has not changed.

"The mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Grunts, I'm surrounded by Grunts.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#35]

I can quit whenever I want.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have expensive do-nothing-tubes mounted on most of my AR’s, so bayonets won’t really fit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/73048.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/93664.JPG
View Quote

Professor, go back and read Pages 1&2 of this thread, and write a post on the rail mounted bayonet lugs and bayonets you order.  Post is due by next Thursday.  Class dismissed.

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Glory (2/8) Movie CLIP - The Worst Soldier in this Whole Company (1989) HD

And then there's the ARFCOM version

Oh and the command is "Fix, BAYONETS."

5-10. FIX AND UNFIX BAYONETS
The command to Fix or Unfix Bayonets is given from Order Arms only. The movement is
executed in a military manner but not in cadence.

NOTE: The bayonet scabbard is worn on the left side with the tip of the scabbard on
line with the trouser leg seam and the barrel ring to the front.

a. To Fix Bayonets, the command is Fix, BAYONETS. On the command of execution
BAYONETS, grasp the rifle barrel with the right hand, raise the rifle slightly, and place the
butt of the rifle between the feet, with the magazine well to the front. Grasp the rifle barrel
with the left hand and move the muzzle to the left front. With the right hand, unsnap the
scabbard securing strap and withdraw the bayonet. Keeping the eyes on the bayonet point,
turn the point skyward and attach the bayonet to the rifle. To engage the bayonet stud on the
rifle with the base of the bayonet, grasp the handle, apply downward pressure until a click is
heard, and then apply limited upward pressure to ensure that the bayonet is seated securely.
Resnap the scabbard securing strap with the right hand and then come to Order Arms.

b. To Unfix Bayonets, the command is Unfix, BAYONETS. On the command of
execution BAYONETS, grasp the rifle barrel with the right hand at the handle of the bayonet
and place the rifle butt between the feet with the magazine well to the front. Move the muzzle
to the left with the left hand and secure it. Unsnap the scabbard securing strap with the right
hand, then grasp the bayonet handle with the left hand and release the bayonet from the rifle
muzzle with the left hand. Keeping the eyes on the bayonet point, return the bayonet to the
scabbard and insert it with the barrel ring facing to the front. Resnap the scabbard securing
strap and come to Order Arms. For safety, if the bayonet is difficult to remove from the rifle,
stick the bayonet point into the marching surface, bend over, and depress the catch
mechanism with the left hand while pulling upward on the rifle with the right hand.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Whatever the bayonet costs, spend that on last ditch ammo.  It will keep you alive longer thay bayo will.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#41]
M1 Carbine with a bayonet is a nice little well balanced package.

I’d love a bayonet for my 1917 but prices are nuts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Whatever the bayonet costs, spend that on last ditch ammo.  It will keep you alive longer thay bayo will.
View Quote

Fail.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I told my family I was getting a Mossberg 590 so I could put a bayonet on it. My daughter said " Dad if it ever comes down to you needing a bayonet you did something wrong" I was a proud dad when she said that.  Got the Beretta 1301 instead. Still wondering if I should have coughed up the extra 1k for the M4.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I just mounted a bayonet lug made from an AR15 FSB on my 870 riot gun. It is primarily for social distancing when dealing with protesters on my property. Those people are probably more afraid of stubby things and I think it has an OMG!!!! factor. No intention to use it until I'm out of ammo though. Just for the fear factor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Bayonet training is Tan belt level MCMAP; I am not sure about the other branches but the Marines do in fact train with bayonets. We deployed with them too, at least as late as 2018.

I have a bayonet for every rifle that has a lug, to include a repro for my Enfield No. 5.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no idea what "last ditch ammo" is. Whatever it is, it will run out as well.

A bayonet never runs out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#48]
The bayonete is a great weapon when you run out of ammo.  When you see the ammo forts people on this board have - that is a very optimistic idea, but how many centenarian are really going to need one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That Guiselle thing is butt-stupid

just make a bayonet that attaches directly to the handguard
View Quote

Only half stupid.  If you have a short hand guard and a normal length bayonet, what are you going to do...
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#50]
This is one reason why I went mid-length on all my carbines.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top