Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 57
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No personal attacks or d pics. Anything else is an infringement.

Honestly the poop thread rule is pushing it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Another layer of control is never a good thing. At least I've never seen on be a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 72 and have been here awhile. I think I am going to reserve my opinions for 15 or 20 years. Gives me something to look forward to after taking copious note along the way. I refuse to make hasty decisions. ????
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Collectively, we asked for these changes via the poll and discussion in the Gunwrtr ban thread.  We asked for clearer definitions, but also for more leeway by letting warnings expire.
View Quote
Exactly. You’d think folks would be happy to see some action after 87 threads bitching about mods and coc enforcement.

TL:DR - Men yell at clouds, freak out when clouds listen
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
We'll be lucky to live through it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Timing looks real bad
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So every single member of Site Staff is just lying to everyone?

Can you come up with any explanation for WHY in the world we would do that?
Timing looks real bad
Agree. Arfcom should never change anything now that they've been bought out. Too soon after: "Brownells is already making changes". Wait a year for changes: "This is Brownells fault, they just wanted to make it seem like it wasn't".

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I don’t have any issues with any mods but I do think in a site with a membership the actual members should be able to vote mods in or out. It would give members buy-in and knock off the skepticism on motives that some have.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Posted this in another thread about this, but since this one has staff...

An idea for “breaking” threads (shootings/natural disasters/etc)

The site really needs to keep these event  threads on topic better.

Have a “event” thread for actual info and a separate thread for the idiots to argue.
View Quote
And the event threads could also include the ability for: Breaking News Alerts and Verification
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We;re cool.

Like any other attempt to change something, there's a risk for it backfiring. Take the "we're going to clean up trolling" statement. Do you know how long that dead cat has been thrown around the staff forum? More than a decade probably. The problem is defining it and implementing it in such a way that we can be consistent about it. Everyone on the board has someone they don't like, whose opinions they don't agree with, and who they'd like to see tossed as a troll. Problem is, if you have someone on your list then you are probably on THAT person's list as well. Who is the real troll? How do you make sure you only throw out the truly guilty party? It ain't easy and if it were, we'd have done it a long time ago.

All of which is to say: I'm glad TBS has his name on it. I'm just gonna stand here in the corner and keep my yap shut.
View Quote
Cough:: thread specific locks ::cough
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
just trying out a new meme

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really dont understand where all of this is coming from. This site has been fantastic.

Seriously what the fuck is going on here?
View Quote
are you one of those people that just hate chamge?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because REASONS! We have no personal integrity. We are mindless automatons under control of Brownell's master mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So every single member of Site Staff is just lying to everyone?

Can you come up with any explanation for WHY in the world we would do that?
Because REASONS! We have no personal integrity. We are mindless automatons under control of Brownell's master mind.
At last you admit it!><

As far as I am concerned you are doing what we asked of you.

Right on boss.

Can you give us some time to acclimate to the new norms for GD?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don’t have any issues with any mods but I do think in a site with a membership the actual members should be able to vote mods in or out. It would give members buy-in and knock off the skepticism on motives that some have.
View Quote
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get Hitler. Literally, Hitler. With votes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I can smell the butthurt already.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't have any issues with any mods but I do think in a site with a membership the actual members should be able to vote mods in or out. It would give members buy-in and knock off the skepticism on motives that some have.
View Quote
The drawback to that is that it would become or be seen as a popularity contest.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

are you one of those people that just hate chamge?
View Quote
Well if I were being truthful then yes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What a bunch of fucking BS. Just what this place needs. Less freedom.  wtf

Come to our website about the right to bear arms. But don’t go talking too wildly.

Commie bullshit.
View Quote
Agreed, I am all about freedom of speech.  If you're outright trolling or posting legally liable stuff, then that's one thing.  However, with a strict set of rules, it's only a matter of time before frequent posters inadvertently step over the line enough times to be banned.  Heck, Andrew from the chopping block got banned from here, and he is still posting videos for AR15.com for some reason!

Stifling discussion leads to less posting, which leads to less interest and a dead board.

The last thing a message board should be trying to do is reduce traffic / interest on their message board.  Heavily moderating discussions and posts is one surefire way to do that.  I've seen it happen for years from the Firingline / Thehighroad to Frugal squirrels and glock talk.  The over zealous posting police always leads to the downfall of the forum community.

Like I said, there should be posting rules but very minimal.  You don't need a ton of mods since the members read everything and anything super bad gets reported by them to the staff anyway and is then reviewed.  When you hire a ton of new mods, they start looking for things to do to justify their existence and pay.  So they will end up overzealously warning, banning, thread shutting, etc. just to show that they are doing something.  And you are now hiring dozens of these guys who will be doing that?

No thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This thread is hilarious. People are going off the rails with virtually no information and are so completely wrong. One of two things is happening:
1) We are bowing to our Brownell overlords contrary to everything that we've been saying and are prepared to completety change Arfcom into some mindless corporate entity and every staff member has been lying to you; or
2) It's just like TBS has stated in that thread and we're on one of our periodic quests to try to clean up/improve GD.

Everyone put on your big boy pants and play the "what is more likely" game using your critical reasoning skills.
View Quote
If there were any critical reasoning skills in GD, there wouldn't be a need.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ewwwwww.  No.

Modding by popularity contest would lead to the end of all things.  That's how you get GseriesFAL as a moderator as a joke.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

QFT sad really not so much trolls but heavy handed bs
View Quote
Go look who has the highest post count on the site and see if any of it was a valuable contribution.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
God as my witness Brownells has nothing to do with this.
View Quote
But can turkeys penguins fly?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get Hitler. Literally, Hitler. With votes.
View Quote
No.

Only land owners get to vote.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ewwwwww.  No.

Modding by popularity contest would lead to the end of all things.  That's how you get GseriesFAL as a moderator as a joke.
View Quote
Term limits then
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well if I were being truthful then yes.
View Quote
right there with you brother
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What if I said these discussions have been carried on for years and various attempts were made but volunteers lose interest and without strong leadership the ability to maintain the momentum just isn't there.

The current, I hate to use "attempt" because this one is already much different, but the current attempt started back in late 2018 and you are just now seeing the public part of it.

You can blame it on Brownells and I'm sure no one will care, but this is a result of the management listening to the members and attempting to make changes that hopefully would be better and not worst.
View Quote
Since your saying this is because of members, that essentially makes it a democracy, with only the vocal being counted. What percent of actual members don’t want change.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm so glad I renewed my membership
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you're not here to be an asshole, this isn't going to have a massive impact. Defining and restricting trolling is probably going to be the most significant thing but it won't be some kind of board-crushing bloodbath.

Follow the rules and understand that the days of members intentionally shitting up the place for their own entertainment are drawing to a close.
View Quote
That seems like it's much easier said than done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
never trust a lawyer
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So gun guys and people with real world experience will continue to be banned for being rough around the edges while leftists and general internet weirdos that can follow the letter of the law while inciting responses will continue to be coddled?
View Quote

I hope someone important reads this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This thread is hilarious. People are going off the rails with virtually no information and are so completely wrong. One of two things is happening:
1) We are bowing to our Brownell overlords contrary to everything that we've been saying and are prepared to completety change Arfcom into some mindless corporate entity and every staff member has been lying to you; or
2) It's just like TBS has stated in that thread and we're on one of our periodic quests to try to clean up/improve GD.

Everyone put on your big boy pants and play the "what is more likely" game using your critical reasoning skills.
View Quote
These threads are what happens when site staff makes an announcement containing very little substance. It happens every time, one of these days site staff will figure out that making announcements without substance just leads to wild speculation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Will there be stricter rules for what constitutes Breaking News? If so I’m all for it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Whatever happened to the idea of aimless showing up at your front door and kicking you in the balls for COC violations?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Since your saying this is because of members, that essentially makes it a democracy, with only the vocal being counted. What percent of actual members don’t want change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if I said these discussions have been carried on for years and various attempts were made but volunteers lose interest and without strong leadership the ability to maintain the momentum just isn't there.

The current, I hate to use "attempt" because this one is already much different, but the current attempt started back in late 2018 and you are just now seeing the public part of it.

You can blame it on Brownells and I'm sure no one will care, but this is a result of the management listening to the members and attempting to make changes that hopefully would be better and not worst.
That is a fair point.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Moderating a forum is no easy task, especially with a large group of moderators.  Trying to maintain consistency is very complicated, especially over a long period of time, it looks like they're trying to address this.  CHOOSING moderators is one of the hardest tasks, I'm fortunate that the forum I moderate has fairly low usage these days because we haven't been able to identify anyone we would trust as an additional moderator, and there are only three of us (plus paid employees of the hosting company, but they focus primarily on technical issues and may approve posts), and all of us have day jobs.

I've said it here repeatedly - it's amazing how childish chronological adults can be online, and how much rules-lawyering you can encounter when you try to enforce basic standards.  The forum I'm a moderator for has a "no-hitting" rule - you can attack the argument, but not the poster.  Yet people can't resist personal attacks.  I understand getting frustrated with other users, since some people are unpersuasible.  If that happens, just post "OK, we're just going in circles, I'm through discussing this with you" and follow through.  Don't start making personal attacks, because then the other person perceives they've won by causing you to lose control (such as a user who admitted deliberately enticing such reactions to get users banned and was banned for a while and is still restricted from GD to my understanding).

Of course, I got mildly reprimanded by my boss at work for sending "I'm done with this.  Escalate with the support team if you need more assistance." after a user kept insisting there was a system issue when I had shown the documentation saying that the error he was getting was normal (fsck on a live filesystem, for the UNIX folks).  The support team basically had to show him the same results on several different live production systems before the user finally admitted it wasn't a problem.

Being a moderator can suck ALL of the fun out of going to a forum, because you know you're going to log in and have X number of "attention required" messages stacked up to deal with, and it sucks having to punish someone you consider a friend.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]
You are providing what many in GD have been wailing and gnashing their teeth for.

Now GD is wailing and gnashing their teeth because you gave them what they wanted and they decide to go all slippery slope with.

There is no rhyme or reason. There is just GD . Just like when the new site design was made and everyone cried and bitched.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That depends. Are you on my list?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At last you admit it!><

As far as I am concerned you are doing what we asked of you.

Right on boss.

Can you give us some time to acclimate to the new norms for GD?
That depends. Are you on my list?
Probably. I put out on the first date.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 57
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top