Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Pinch the stem and looking for blue or purple bruising is usually a good field test for certain attributes.  

That doesn't ID them it just means they probably have certain attributes which narrows it down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This place can't ID a venomous snake and you're asking about mushrooms?   Don't eat them.  
View Quote

Damn good point.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pinch the stem and looking for blue or purple bruising is usually a good field test for certain attributes.  

That doesn't ID them it just means they probably have certain attributes which narrows it down.
View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I pick mushrooms that have price stickers on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting
View Quote

I have a book by MDC that gives detailed info on things you'll find in MO I'll take if I go looking.  It does omit certain ones.

If you're really interested in mycology some kind of guide specific to your region is probably the way to go.    

Project Noah is a pretty cool resource.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a book by MDC that gives detailed info on things you'll find in MO I'll take if I go looking.  It does omit certain ones.

If you're really interested in mycology some kind of guide specific to your region is probably the way to go.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting

I am interested in mycology.

Once I learned that the actually things you see are just the reproductive parts of the fungi my mind was
Blown
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am interested in mycology.

Once I learned that the actually things you see are just the reproductive parts of the fungi my mind was
Blown
View Quote

Yep, those are the fruit.  That's my dumb simplification and probably not scientific.   The spiderweb structure (mycelium)  you'll see in dirt is the animal plant fungus thing?  In spalted wood you can see where different colonies have collided and competed.  

The things fungus make possible and the evolution of them are pretty mind blowing.    Picture life without bread, cheese, alcohol, or a large amount of medicines.   They're underappreciated.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
looks like it came in the 3rd photo..
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
These are great pics, but it is a really hard group. Attached gills with pink spores, on the ground. Some Entoloma and a good possibility to make you sick (muscarine/PLS). Entoloma abortiva is very similar (and good) but I need to see it in real life, and it helps a lot if you find the aborted honey mushrooms with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Think it’s easy to ID a deadly one?

I searched deadliest mushrooms.  These look harmless enough (but will kill you dead if eaten):

Conocybe filaris

Webcap

Deadly daperling
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
These are great pics, but it is a really hard group. Attached gills with pink spores, on the ground. Some Entoloma and a good possibility to make you sick (muscarine/PLS). Entoloma abortiva is very similar (and good) but I need to see it in real life, and it helps a lot if you find the aborted honey mushrooms with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!

So somthing must be eating them? They dissapear without a trace
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Europeans look at mushrooms differently than Americans. It seems like our first instinct is negative reaction.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hickory Chickens! MMMM!  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294279/1wi8p8q08is21_jpg-1563679.JPG

ETA: No mistaking these OP
View Quote

yep. Death cap
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This place can't ID a venomous snake and you're asking about mushrooms?   Don't eat them.  
View Quote

Venomous rattlemushroom. Most deadly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#17]
We saw these on the side of the road this past weekend...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh cool.  A mushroom thread.  My sister sent me this pic recently from the Canton, TX area.  Sorry, no pic of the underside.  Is it a psilocybin or poisonous?  I looked on shoomery.org, but wasn't sure. It's like the ARFCOM of mushrooms.  I'm not joining another forum to ask them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh cool.  A mushroom thread.  My sister sent me this pic recently from the Canton, TX area.  Sorry, no pic of the underside.  Is it a psilocybin or poisonous?  I looked on shoomery.org, but wasn't sure. It's like the ARFCOM of mushrooms.  I'm not joining another forum to ask them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69574/Screenshot_20200903-225542_Yahoo_Mail_jp-1576195.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks!

So somthing must be eating them? They dissapear without a trace
View Quote
All kinds of animals eat lots of different mushrooms, and some basically only ever eat mushrooms (e.g. some kangaroo rats and red back voles). Hard to say if it is a good sign, but it certainly isn't safe to do just because they can.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69574/Screenshot_20200903-225542_Yahoo_Mail_jp-1576195.JPG
View Quote
Not edible - a Conocybe sp. like Conocybe apala. These actually will come up in the morning and disappear on their own by afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not edible - a Conocybe sp. like Conocybe apala. These actually will come up in the morning and disappear on their own by afternoon.
View Quote

Thank you!  She thought it was some sort of psilocybin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have seen this a lot in the fungus game(on the ground, not on trees). Makes me think Im crazy. Either, "I swear they were here" or "Where the hell did these come from"... I enjoy it as much as hunting. Less blood & MUCH easier to get out of the woods.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you!  She thought it was some sort of psilocybin.
View Quote

LBMs are to be avoided generally.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That mainly distinguishes edible boletes (porcini mushrooms) from boletes that will give you stomach cramps.  There are no deadly boletes.

ETA:  Never mind, I’m just a square.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The Audubon Society Field Guide to Mushrooms of North America is a great resource in learning about mushrooms and identifying the different types. Lots of color plates.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Put a wedding ring on it. Don't know about men but it kills a womans appetite for it instantly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I get these in my garden.  They smell like shit and look like a...  

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Found an asslod of chicken of the woods this morning. I was too late to harvest though. They had already started to get gnats and decay
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#32]
@sywagon

These are strange, like a hole in the middle

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Ring on the stem at the base and ring where the cap meets the stem is a good sign not to eat that mushroom.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ring on the stem at the base and ring where the cap meets the stem is a good sign not to eat that mushroom.
View Quote
There are NO general rules for eating gilled mushrooms. You have to know the species. Just say, "the fact it has gills is a good sign not to eat it" unless you know much much more than stuff about rings. Boletes, chanterelles, polypores, puffballs etc. are where to start.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, that is correct, but not knowing EXACTLY what species it is is enough reason not to eat any mushroom.

Identification by macroscopic visible features is often insufficient.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
The hole through it is from something that ate it up or something environmental. It is a milk cap for sure in the genus Lactarius - you can see the latex in the second pic as little white drops exuding from the gills. Zonate orange/buff cap with small pits (scrobiculation) on the stalk, distant gills. The question is if the latex changed to a more yellow color when exposed or whether it is acrid (peppery). Best guess it is close to Lactarius zonarius (a European name with NA relatives poorly sorted out).

(Web image of L. zonarius)

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The hole through it is from something that ate it up or something environmental. It is a milk cap for sure in the genus Lactarius - you can see the latex in the second pic as little white drops exuding from the gills. Zonate orange/buff cap with small pits (scrobiculation) on the stalk, distant gills. The question is if the latex changed to a more yellow color when exposed or whether it is acrid (peppery). Best guess it is close to Lactarius zonarius (a European name with NA relatives poorly sorted out).

https://www.fungikingdom.net/_Media/lactarius-zonarius-or-salmo_med_hr.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.fungikingdom.net/_Media/lactarius-zonarius-or-salmo_med_hr.jpeg

Thank you so much so helping

Mycology is starting to get fun!

Funny enough I had an old tree in the yard and some more of those yellow ones popped up there

I wonder if it’s the same group

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Your local grocery store will have a fantastic selection of perfectly safe, delicious mushrooms both fresh and dried, whole or sliced and generally at least 3 or 4 different varieties.

Why the fuck do people insist on risking wild mushrooms?  It keeps coming up over and over.  Just get some from the store and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Your local grocery store will have a fantastic selection of perfectly safe, delicious mushrooms both fresh and dried, whole or sliced and generally at least 3 or 4 different varieties.

Why the fuck do people insist on risking wild mushrooms?  It keeps coming up over and over.  Just get some from the store and enjoy.
View Quote

Cuz they gro in muh yard
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There are NO general rules for eating gilled mushrooms. You have to know the species. Just say, "the fact it has gills is a good sign not to eat it" unless you know much much more than stuff about rings. Boletes, chanterelles, polypores, puffballs etc. are where to start.
View Quote

That’s not a general rule for eating.  That’s a general rule for not eating.  If you see a ring on the base of the stem and a ring where the stem joins the cap, you should presume the mushroom is poisonous.  There are non-poisonous mushrooms that have those traits; but that’s like betting against the house in Vegas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes, that is correct, but not knowing EXACTLY what species it is is enough reason not to eat any mushroom.

Identification by macroscopic visible features is often insufficient.
View Quote

You can go wrong quickly with mushrooms.  I know of at least two professors of mycology who permanently screwed their kidneys.  I stick to things like morels or boletes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can go wrong quickly with mushrooms.  I know of at least two professors of mycology who permanently screwed their kidneys.  I stick to things like morels or boletes.
View Quote

Puffballs and chanterelles are pretty easy to identify too.  Other than those, wild mushrooms are very risky.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#45]
The problem with the deadly ones is that symptoms don't appear until after the mushroom is digested. It's too late before you know it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Recall
Its just another form of hunting for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Puffballs and chanterelles are pretty easy to identify too.  Other than those, wild mushrooms are very risky.
View Quote

Yeah, I’ve gathered chanterelles.  Never come across puffballs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's not a general rule for eating.  That's a general rule for not eating.  If you see a ring on the base of the stem and a ring where the stem joins the cap, you should presume the mushroom is poisonous.  There are non-poisonous mushrooms that have those traits; but that's like betting against the house in Vegas.
View Quote
Ok but if you have a general rule for not eating, that implies the rest are safe, and they aren't. I think you may be referring to a volva at the base of the stalk and free gills i.e. Amanita which would be especially good to avoid though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is a very small world - I know of no examples of academic mycologists doing this over two decades. Did they do it together? Who and what university? Were they yeast molecular biologists that went on a foray once, or actual mushroom taxonomists/systemitists? Yeah, I'm kind of calling BS here.

Identifying gilled mushrooms is the hardest and you have to work them from the bottom up until you have a really broad knowledge of all of them (poisonous, edible, and not edible), then work back down to good safe edibles. It is a science though and there is absolutely no reason to screw it up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Europeans look at mushrooms differently than Americans. It seems like our first instinct is negative reaction.
View Quote

Probably with good reason.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top