Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on the pole, not many Arfcommers do math.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rod on the left is an abomination .

Fuck the metric system

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/83C43313-1413-4CED-A7D3-22DF1C4C25A6_jpeg-783107.JPG
View Quote
The rod on the left is in increments of 10cm.  It is designed to meet a specific need (visual river level reading, for example).

Working in both is not hard. Get both and pick the one that works for you at the time.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That would be a Newton.
View Quote
Not at all. As with the crazy pound-mass, the kgf is defined based on a standard acceleration. Basically, 1kgf is the force exerted by one kilogram at a standard g, so 1kgf = ~9.81N.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not at all. As with the crazy pound-mass, the kgf is defined based on a standard acceleration. Basically, 1kgf is the force exerted by one kilogram at a standard g, so 1kgf = ~9.81N.
View Quote
Okay, I get it now.  So...why is that used instead of Newtons?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you are referring to me, I am not here to tell anyone what to use.  But I what I can do is try to answer any questions that anyone has about this system.

Sadly, it looks like some people already came by and tried to ram this system down everyone's throats.
View Quote
Just a general question, directed no more at you than your poll was directed at any of us, in particular.

The most common refrain is "because I can't figure this out".  And that's probably the worst reason to switch anything.  Because dumb people are still going to be dumb people.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buying thousands of dollars worth of sockets to remove SAE fasteners is one. Then the space, storage solutions, and weight (if traveling) needed for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does not being metric inconvenience your life?
Buying thousands of dollars worth of sockets to remove SAE fasteners is one. Then the space, storage solutions, and weight (if traveling) needed for them.
This is probably the most valid gripe I've heard, to date.

I'll allow it.

If you reimburse me for the road salt damage to my car, and some sort of gas mileage compensation for toting around the twenty bazillion pounds of fucking granite sand that got trotted into the cab of my truck on my last trip up to the Granite State last winter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Look, if you don't have the mental horsepower to sort through shit like this, then maybe you shouldn't be out in the road trying to direct traffic.  Maybe you should just let people use the units they want to use.  Not seeing anything to gain by dictate.

ETA: Not referring to OP, specifically.  It's either "your" or "y'alls".  And, I'm about all y'alled out.
View Quote
In medicine, we use metric because “grains” is antiquated by comparison to milligrams & micrograms.  Having used tenths of ounces to mix agars & other microbiological media, I can tell you it’s easier to use grams, milligrams & micrograms.

In the machine shop—even the old masters had trouble with 7/64” vs 9/32”. It’s easier with decimals & metric, IME.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
SAE or Metric?

Math makes a whole lot more sense in Metric...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Invented for uneducated peasants.
SAE or Metric?

Math makes a whole lot more sense in Metric...
Lolwut.

Base2 versus Base10.

Which do computers use?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer IU but wouldn't mind ditching one for the other on things that don't require extreme precision.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I think everyone in the USofA should be forced to learn French, because it's all cool and continental, and Lincolney and stuff
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Only three pie-lovers so far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll allow it.

If you reimburse me for the road salt damage to my car, and some sort of gas mileage compensation for toting around the twenty bazillion pounds of fucking granite sand that got trotted into the cab of my truck on my last trip up to the Granite State last winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll allow it.

Not that bad.

Socket sets are available in metric and imperial.  You can spend as much as you like, of course but a set for the average joe isn't going to break the bank.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-piece-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=-xwwarwrtlx&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:94971%7Ccid:865695754%7Cagid:42483196223%7Ctid:aud-297219197929:pla-330157714504%7Ccrid:203186066562%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:4104086753850410438%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o1%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9046652&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Mvs66i33wIVjeR3Ch2hpgFpEAQYASABEgKod_D_BwE

If you wan to go down the route of professional Snap-On or similar, and you want pneumatic the you will pay more, obviously.  Bit of you are spending that kind of money on a full set of imperial tools then a metric set of sockets isn;t really that big a leap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is that on the left?

It looks like it could be decimeters, but that would be one really fucked up way of showing them.
View Quote
That my good man is a metric surveying level rod. (Left)

Right is a standard level rod. We survey in decimal feet .

Now they’ve got digital levels and you don’t even have to read the rod, you use this rod .....and it reads the bar code and shows you the correct numbers on the screen

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Really?

How do you explain your Military's use of 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm, 40mm etc, then?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I spent most of my life working with both systems.
Mostly metric at work (electronics).
50/50 at home.
I cook mostly in grams and only use teaspoon/tablespoon measurements for convenience but I'd have no problem switching.
I'm an old 'boomer' but I wouldn't mind one bit switching to the metric system.
By the last check, 40% of the USA is already using the metric system, and some sectors are totally converted (when is the last time a doctor prescribed you 1/4 teaspoon of aspirin..).
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote
How much is that in Doctor Who money?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That my good man is a metric surveying level rod. (Left)

Right is a standard level rod. We survey in decimal feet .

Now they’ve got digital levels and you don’t even have to read the rod, you use this rod .....and it reads the bar code and shows you the correct numbers on the screen

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223987/E01F3E45-01A3-4D1F-ABAB-A9484977BC5C_jpeg-783157.JPG
View Quote
Why do all that when you could have something that looks like this:

That's centimeters and each number with a zero after it is an even decimeter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Two threads on the metric system right now in GD.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Two threads on the metric system right now in GD.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1JyWrrkCIUQyQ/giphy.gif
View Quote
What was that puppies thread you were talking about?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anything critical enough to be in metric/SI already is.

Quit trying to destroy my traditional units.
View Quote
How many firkins to the hogshead?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#23]
What kind of pie?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What kind of pie?
View Quote
Cherry with whipped cream.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]
What’s a “cubit?”
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#28]
A switch to metric will have a whole lot of people getting speeding tickets written.

They'll conveniently forget 50 KPH is not 50 MPH.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's ignored, except in legislatures.

Implemented by retards, not used by anyone.
View Quote
Are you talking about Newtons or the kgf units?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Having lived and worked with both, I prefer metric for most things. The measurements are relatable, easy to visualize, and no damn fractions..unless you're me.

I like using metric fractions just to fuck with people.

I am 1 and 39/50ths of a meter tall, for example.
View Quote
I don't see things like this^^^ Like I'm 1 M , 49 cm, and  5mm tall.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote
Communist infiltration of our government, obviously.

The last time either of our countries unconditionally won a war, it was fought with .303, .45, 3 inch guns, 17 pound guns, etc.

And we wrought utter ruin on the metric Nazis.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I fucking hate it.  I simply cannot quickly equate metric distances and weights in my mind to imperial units.  The Celsius scale also jumps far too much.  Fahrenheit is much more precise.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#34]
From my cold dead hands!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I don’t care either way. I can go with both
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn straight!  Except I have the opposite side of the cup showing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I fucking hate it.  I simply cannot quickly equate metric distances and weights in my mind to imperial units.  The Celsius scale also jumps far too much.  Fahrenheit is much more precise.
View Quote
I don't need to equate them.  I know how big a meter is.  I know about how much a kilogram weighs, I know the approximate volume of a liter.

It's really not so bad.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#38]
It might blow balls for us older folks to think or convert to metric. It makes a lot more sense IMO though. It will not get any easier if we keep delaying the inevitable.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What does GD currently think of the metric system?  Note that for the purposes of this poll, I am really referring to the SI system.

Poll inbound.
View Quote
It was an arbitrary system designed by the French because they were butthurt at the English. It took a series of measurements that made sense and could be used by virtually everybody, and changed it to a base 10 system predicated on an arbitrary number they pulled out of their asses. Which they got wrong. So they had to change it. And they got it wrong again. Until today, the base of a meter is some 30 digit decimal of the speed of light, because nothing else fits. And they'll probably change it again, because French.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was an arbitrary system designed by the French because they were butthurt at the English. It took a series of measurements that made sense and could be used by virtually everybody, and changed it to a base 10 system predicated on an arbitrary number they pulled out of their asses. Which they got wrong. So they had to change it. And they got it wrong again. Until today, the base of a meter is some 30 digit decimal of the speed of light, because nothing else fits. And they'll probably change it again, because French.
View Quote
Here's some interesting trivia for you:

Two nations tried to redefine the kilogram in terms of universal constants and failed.  Who finally pulled it off?  The United States.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having lived and worked with both, I prefer metric for most things. The measurements are relatable, easy to visualize, and no damn fractions..unless you're me.

I like using metric fractions just to fuck with people.

I am 1 and 39/50ths of a meter tall, for example.
lol

Manlet
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#42]
It make zero difference if I fill my tank in gallons or liters, it's the same tank.
Try switching the building trades to metric, those millions of 16" studs won't work with 50x100 cm osb.
You will have an epic mess.
What really cracks me up is people who think we aren't already switched to metric now. All of the critical industries have switched already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duckbbs/tools/tape-blades-lufkin.jpg

View Quote
As for the digital level, they don’t fuck up like humans do

And that metric survey rod I posted is just like your tape measure , just colored in differently each little block is a centimeter.

Metric sucks for surveying cause most guys still think in feet.

Oh I have to move 1.74 meters left........mmmm... ok 1 meter is a little over three feet , .74 meters is about 2.75 feet....ok I’ll move about 6 feet....repeat ad naseum until you’re in the right spot. Fuck all that
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#46]
There is no reason a unit of ten should have a world monopoly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Get both.

We Americans fluidly switch back and forth, using the one that makes the most sense for the situation at hand.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#48]
FUCK the communist metric system

I love the American system

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And that metric survey rod I posted is just like your tape measure , just colored in differently each little block is a centimeter.

Oh I have to move 1.74 meters left........mmmm... ok 1 meter is a little over three feet , .74 meters is about 2.75 feet....ok I’ll move about 6 feet....repeat ad naseum until you’re in the right spot. Fuck all that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/duckbbs/tools/tape-blades-lufkin.jpg

What's hard about it?  3 feet is 3 inches short of a metre.  Sounds like you had to think for an additional second to work it out.  Hardly taxing.

You'd have no problem with a dual system.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top