Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every disclosure form I've ever seen has a catch all asking about any work done that a permit wasn't pulled for.
View Quote

I've never seen anything remotely like that on disclosure forms. Homeowners repair stuff all the time. Plus, every place I've lived permits were only required for specific kinds of work. Basic repairs wouldn't need a permit anyway.

My understanding of disclosure is that the seller must fess up to known problems. Houses are a continual string of repairs starting from the day construction is completed. As long as issues have been repaired, and the seller has no reason to believe it will be a reoccurring issue, there is zero reason to "disclose" one and done past issues. WTH is there to disclose??? "CAUTION- buyer be advised- back in 2002, we replaced the bathroom faucet." That's just silly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Mechanical contractor here.
You don't need 1-1/2" pipe to a single family home.
I would do 1" Uponor Aquapex.
You can do the whole thing without joints if you get a 300' roll.
It will never break.
Rent the expander tool for the day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Sch 40 pvc is standard for water line here. What's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Long story short: We bought a house last June, inspected it and everything looked good. Had a water line leak between the meter and the house (our side) cost about $1,400 to have it dug up, bad connection replaced, and fixed

Now, first hard freeze and the water line has broken at multiple connections in our front yard. The plumber who looked at it told me it looked like our water service was installed by an idiot

1-1/2 schedule 40 pvc with standard glued joints...and ALL the joints are coming apart because the person who did it THEMSELF didn't know what they were doing

We bought the house from an estate, and had standard inspections done and while there were a few repairs to be made we knew what we were getting into

Finding out our water service will have to be replaced all the way from the main is about 75-yards to the house

We confronted the seller today with this information AND THE SELLER NOW ADMITS they knew "dad got an estimate and didn't want to pay to have the water line replaced so he did it himself"...The seller never mentioned this before the sale

Do we have any recourse with the sellers? Seems like this should be a disclosure item

It's not like a home inspector is going to dig up the underground water line and see what condition it's in
View Quote

@pale_pony

You might have coverage via your title insurance policy. On my previous house, it covered adverse possession and the illegally modified septic system needing to be completely replaced. It would be looking over your coverage and asking the title insurance company if you have coverage for improperly modified utilities
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are disclosure laws depending on your state.

Who the fuck uses pvc for a main?

When I built my house I installed an 1 1/4" copper main.
View Quote

lol
boomer.
they have used pvc in NJ for 30 years....doesnt seem to be much of an issue.
the street mains are iron and the feeds tee off on saddles to pvc when my town re did the water lines in the 80's....sewer is also pvc

before you get uppity...i was the mayor of the town and before that i ran the utility for 9 years so i kinda know a little about it
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1-1/2 schedule 40 pvc with standard glued joints...and ALL the joints are coming apart because the person who did it THEMSELF didn't know what they were doing

View Quote

Can you expand on this..... I'm curious how you fuck up pvc?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sucks he did a poor job.

I would trench it up and repair it myself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

No primer?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Holy shit.   Just fix it....
View Quote

This, especially since it's PVC, super easy to work with. Even if OP has to rent a mini-ex for a weekend.

ETA: 1 1/2" WTF? 1" is more than adequate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It breaks, all the time.  I hate it.  Gasketed mainline waterline pipe is fine since it can compensate for deflection and movement and the pipe is thicker.  I've replaced thousands of feet of glued PVC on places I've lived all with PEX, copper or Poly pipe.  You have a joint every 10 to 20 feet that can break if the ground moves, a excavator walks nearby or it's near a rock since pipe itself is brittle.  The only place I'd ever put glued PVC pipe is a utility type building that can handle some water damage.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Op buy a 300-foot roll of 1inch 160 psi rated Black poly pipe then rent a small excavator from the rent all and replace it with no joints other than the two connections at each end and forget about it. Make sure you ditch is at least 2 feet deep.

Here is what to look for.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-1-in-x-300-ft-160-PSI-Plastic-Coil-Pipe/3514730?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-bng-_-LIA_PLB_142_Pipe-Fittings-_-3514730-_-Local-_-0-_-0&gclid=09e16bd12c1711cdb0e7087aae4fc709&gclsrc=3p.ds&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=09e16bd12c1711cdb0e7087aae4fc709
View Quote
Easiest solution, If you were local we could do it in a day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Home ownership comes with responsibility, welcome to home ownership.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Op buy a 300-foot roll of 1inch 160 psi rated Black poly pipe then rent a small excavator from the rent all and replace it with no joints other than the two connections at each end and forget about it. Make sure you ditch is at least 2 feet deep.

Here is what to look for.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-1-in-x-300-ft-160-PSI-Plastic-Coil-Pipe/3514730?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-bng-_-LIA_PLB_142_Pipe-Fittings-_-3514730-_-Local-_-0-_-0&gclid=09e16bd12c1711cdb0e7087aae4fc709&gclsrc=3p.ds&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=09e16bd12c1711cdb0e7087aae4fc709
View Quote

I like working with the black poly "irrigation" pipe. Two guys could replace that whole water line in a day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People Repair things all the time.
View Quote

Not op.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lol
boomer.
the street mains are iron and the feeds tee off on saddles to pvc when my town re did the water lines in the 80's....sewer is also pvc

before you get uppity...i was the mayor of the town and before that i ran the utility for 9 years so i kinda know a little about it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
boomer.

Pffft

NJ and town government only means you were getting kickbacks from the PVC mafia.

Lead pipes for water all the way.

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m assuming it was installed with dwv couplings instead of pressure couplings. The difference is dwv fitting have a 3/4” glue hub and pressure fittings have 1.5” glue hub.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who in their right mind would use PVC for anything other than drain waste or vent pipe?
View Quote

It’s used for water lines all the time.

Not what I’d use for this purpose but it did work until
It got cold.   If it broke from freezing you’d be screwed with most piping at that same depth.  If it broke during this record cold streak you’d be hard pressed to claim it was from workmanship.  I bet water lines all over the south were failing.

How deep is it?  And did you hire a franchise to fix your plumbing?  Because that would explain the cost.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
run a new line through the existing line
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

PVC is used for mains every day. The only related issue I've ever seen is when the shitty rain or shine glue is used
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You bought a used house, and all the problems that come with it.  You're SOL.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
run a new line through the existing line
View Quote

This is a legit option these days.   Go find a nice roll of poly and roll on with it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Op dig up each end and cut open.take a string and wad paper around the end and tie a knot around it. Insert in 1 end and use a shop vac at other end to suck the paper wad and string. Then drill several small holes in the end of a 300’ roll of 1” pex or pe and tape it up good. Have someone roll it out as you pull it through the other end. Hook up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Holy shit.   Just fix it....
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Long story short: We bought a house last June, inspected it and everything looked good. Had a water line leak between the meter and the house (our side) cost about $1,400 to have it dug up, bad connection replaced, and fixed

Now, first hard freeze and the water line has broken at multiple connections in our front yard. The plumber who looked at it told me it looked like our water service was installed by an idiot

We bought the house from an estate, and had standard inspections done and while there were a few repairs to be made we knew what we were getting into

Finding out our water service will have to be replaced all the way from the main is about 75-yards to the house

We confronted the seller today with this information AND THE SELLER NOW ADMITS they knew "dad got an estimate and didn't want to pay to have the water line replaced so he did it himself"...The seller never mentioned this before the sale

Do we have any recourse with the sellers? Seems like this should be a disclosure item

It's not like a home inspector is going to dig up the underground water line and see what condition it's in
View Quote

Depends on the jurisdiction but one thing that will weigh on the issue is did you ask about any work done on the property prior to the sale and what was the response?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's pretty much all we use here in SW Florida.

PVC outside, CPVC inside. A lot of newer houses are switching to PEX inside though....

View Quote
I worked as a maintenance man in a mobile home park in Orlando. The entire place, all 400 lots were plumbed with Sch 40 pvc, from the 4" mains right down to the 3/4 pipe connecting to the trailer. I became quite good at pvc repair in the two years I worked there.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Who in their right mind would use PVC for anything other than drain waste or vent pipe?
View Quote

Only all water municipalities.
Yea, if your on city water it travels through pvc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
you would think something like that would require a permit and inspection
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Call your title Co. There is a reason its called Title Insurance.
View Quote

A title policy is not a home warranty
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long was your run?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Standard OK real-estate disclosure form:
https://eforms.com/images/2018/08/Oklahoma-Residential-Property-Condition-Disclosure-Statement.pdf

So, first things first.  You need to find out the following:

Is a permit required for a homeowner to repair/replace a buried water line if he does the work himself?  See #11.

What was the seller's response to #13?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

PVC cracks.
PEX A doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Did the line freeze?  Is the replacement before the water meter on the services end(if so the utility is suppose to inspect and sign off....if not do all work or contract it.

I could possibly see someone in the 1980-90s installing PVC, but we have cheap and reliable black poly that would otherwise be the smart choice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bgenlvtex
Unless you read your policy, or the OPs for that matter, you have no clue what it covers and what it doesn't. Title Insurance paid about $70k on my previous property due to unknown issues.  $25k of that was to replace the septic system that had been illegally modified by a previous owner and the county said I had to have it replaced with a new system that met the current standards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure?  

It sux, its weaker than most current pipe material and has even weaker joints.  Why wouldn't you do a roll of black poly or HDPE?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I ran 1340’ of 2 inch for that $1400 including trenching it 36” deep
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
you would think something like that would require a permit and inspection
View Quote

If it's on the service side of the meter, absolutely.  On the customer side it depends on the locality.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite a few don't use PVC and have never. .... actually it's poorly run idiots that don't know better still using PVC....this isn't 1985 anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Oklahoman here....

PVC is the standard here, even on new construction. The frost line is about 3" where I am. In the northern part of the state, I think it can get to around 8".

Dude, you bought the house, and its issues.  If that happened to me, I would dig it up myself and fix it, just like the previous owner did. I would glue it better, though. On my side of the meter, I don't need a permit as long as I am doing the work myself as a homeowner.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Standard OK real-estate disclosure form:
https://eforms.com/images/2018/08/Oklahoma-Residential-Property-Condition-Disclosure-Statement.pdf

So, first things first.  You need to find out the following:

Is a permit required for a homeowner to repair/replace a buried water line if he does the work himself?  See #11.

What was the seller's response to #13?
View Quote

Re #11: Pretty sure that “addition” means a structural expansion.

Not replacing a water supply line.

Re #13: It seems that water supply system was in good working condition at the time of the sale.

OP’s best chance is probably to demonstrate that the work did meet not meet code, manufacturer’s requirements or industry standards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@bgenlvtex
Unless you read your policy, or the OPs for that matter, you have no clue what it covers and what it doesn't. Title Insurance paid about $70k on my previous property due to unknown issues.  $25k of that was to replace the septic system that had been illegally modified by a previous owner and the county said I had to have it replaced with a new system that met the current standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bgenlvtex

Are you the one that had some weird boundary/easement dispute with a neighbor?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@bgenlvtex
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bgenlvtex

You sure that was title insurance?

Title insurance protects lenders and buyers from financial loss due to defects in a title to a property.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mechanical contractor here.
You don't need 1-1/2" pipe to a single family home.
I would do 1" Uponor Aquapex.
You can do the whole thing without joints if you get a 300' roll.
It will never break.
Rent the expander tool for the day.
View Quote

This,  unless you have one hell of a sprinkler system you don't need 1 1/2",    If I was doing it I would try an insertion,  1"200# PE slid inside if pipe is continuous,  pull rope if needed,   wrap it around bucket as you pull.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#43]
People are really ignorant on pvc, huh.

Pvc has almost 3x the pressure rating over pex.

And yes pex does crack.

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#44]
How the hell is this thread on Page 2 and no one has posted Caveat Emptor?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#45]
You be screwed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quite a few don't use PVC and have never. .... actually it's poorly run idiots that don't know better still using PVC....this isn't 1985 anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your nuts. I watch 8” installed all the time. Your water goes thriough pvc at some point. And water municipalities dont put in their water mains, the lowest bidder does.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sucks he did a poor job.

I would trench it up and repair it myself.
View Quote

This is the answer. By the time your done wasting your time and money with lawyers. You could of just fixed it yourself and go on with your life.

Also this means that the entire plumbing system needs to be looked at.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty standard here in the south.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Did local code require him to get a permit and an inspection of the repair? Is so, and he did not maybe you have a case in court, maybe small claims but I am not an attorney.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you the one that had some weird boundary/easement dispute with a neighbor?
View Quote

.65 acres stolen by a previous owner/neighbor. Invalid access easement through my property to theirs etc.

Quoted:

You sure that was title insurance?

View Quote

I'm quite certain it was the title insurance company since the problem began when I had a survey done and figured out my neighbors septic drain field and well were actually on my land, but behind his fence. He fenced in .65 acres of property that didn't belong to him and then sold the property without disclosing it  20 years ago. There was an undisclosed buried power line with no paperwork and the illegally modified septic system also

He also was able to get a loan from a bank  using the property as collateral ,12 years after he sold it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top