Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But if this is in preparation for a big war vs China+Iran+North Korea I have to imagine that we will need to be rolling through the streets of their cities, which arent' all nice broad thoroughfares
View Quote

I said armor hasn't been on those streets in over a decade. However prior to that heavy armored vehicles were the norm in large cities.  

Lighter units may be more maneuvable but that doesn't mean an armored unit can't go into a city.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Have we given up completely on EW, I recall early in my career we used to have some of those capabilities?

ETA: N/M That's where the 17 series MOS comes into play. Now I remember.
View Quote

The EW realm has broadened past the CIED fight into active ground jamming, SIGINT, DF, and EMS reconnaissance among other things.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-announces-serial-production-of-new-advanced-eitan-apc/

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2020/02/1-e1581249635659-640x400.jpeg

We co-developed with Israel, just buy these. I don't see the point of tracked vehicles for carrying personnel for the cost/maneuverability when the Bradleys and Abrams are your front.
View Quote

The AMPV isn't being adopted into the ABCT as an APC, its a platform giving enabling assets the same level of mobility as the rest of the formation, ie replacing the existing functions of the M113 and creating an open platform for emerging technologies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yay, more antennas.

Probably still easier to troubleshoot than a BFIST.
View Quote

It never helped when the douchbags in B Co would steal the Turret Power Box that you specifically need for the BFIST.  At least with the BFIST you got some space.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wasn’t this what the Bradley was supposed to look like?

I loved the 113. Unless they made it lighter and faster, meh.
View Quote

Yep. Battle bus.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tanks and Brads get the cake, everything else gets the crumbs.

Mortar tracks and ambulances were at least pacing items, and would get a little love. The infantry and armor 1SGs' g-rides? Not so much, as they didn't normally like them or use them.

We would damn near have to fund support vehicle parts under the cover of darkness. Because it apparently it takes a genius to realize that if you focus solely on combat power and ignore your broken M88s before railing everything across the country for an NTC rotation...well, that's not good.
View Quote

Id vehemently disagree with the part in red.  FSO for a tank company for a while.  Me and the 1SG had a great relationship, and with our maintenance section, decked out his ride.  Humidor for the cigars, wired in coffee pot and a welded bracket to hold it.  Set it up with some camo nets on the back so when we lagered up for the night, we dropped ramp and had the nets out in a matter of minutes.  Done training for the day, we had the coleman grill in the BFIST, and everyone had a cooler of stuff in their tanks. Every field exercise basically became a camping trip.  Loved that unit.  Easily my best 18 months in the Army.  A well run tanker unit knows how to live in the field.  Even made NTC bearable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the old OPFOR M113s with hulls modified to look a bit more BMP-1ish were given to Lebanon and are still in use

Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, since we are making more M113s can we start making M551 Sheridan's again?  Keep the 152mm Gun/Launcher, just upgrade the Shillelagh.  That was the most fun vehicle I ever crewed/'commanded. Small, fast with a massive gun.  Sort of like me in my prime.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't the Bradley fill that role?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't the Bradley fill that role?
View Quote

The Bradley replaced the M113 for direct combat roles  
There is the need for vehicles with more internal volume, ie ambulances, command posts, or mortar vehicles, that a bradley with a turret didnt have. The M113 stayed in these roles largely because we had them, most likely this is what would have happened in the early 90s if the wall hadnt fell. These should provide greater mobility protection and most importantly access to more electrical power.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not everything can be heavy just because you saw the need for that over the GWOT. You need units that can rush forward and sieze objectives to even get your armor to the FLOT. The last time I checked the biggest threats for conflict are China and Russia, and its been proven that ABCTs would have a hell of a time even going from port to the FLOT due to tons of water crossings, unsuitable infrastructure and terrain.

COIN is a rear guard fight in a convenentional conflict, you have to dominate the conventional aspect to even make it to that point. There still exists the propensity for standalone low intensity conflict, which is one reason we are moving to the JLTV fleet and keeping our MRAPs stockpiled.

We have learned plenty of lessons, the biggest one being that we can't make every unit functional in every capability.  We need a tiered approach mixing armor vs speed in order to work through every contingency.
View Quote

Mobility vs armor vs firepower.

Still not sure why the 113 wasn't essentially replaced by the Stryker, which does the same thing, if a bit heavier and rolling on wheels. Not to mention the M1117, though you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze more people into that tin can.

As far as mobile firepower goes, I'm surprised the US military doesn't already field something akin to the 3T German Wiesel, a 2-man armored weapons platform or "mini-tank" the size of a hummvee but rocking a 20mm canon, or any number of other weapons. IIRC, Wiesel 1 chassis are being tested as unmanned land vehicles by DARPA... There's a lot of shit you can do with an IFV that small and fast.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I just pulled up google maps, and surprising, in a lot of those cities there are plenty of areas of buildings packed tightly together with relatively thin roads
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mortar tracks and ambulances were at least pacing items, and would get a little love. The infantry and armor 1SGs' g-rides? Not so much, as they didn't normally like them or use them.

We would damn near have to fund support vehicle parts under the cover of darkness. Because it apparently it takes a genius to realize that if you focus solely on combat power and ignore your broken M88s before railing everything across the country for an NTC rotation...well, that's not good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you, I just don't remember ever noticing one in service, not even stateside. Clearly, I was just in the wrong unit since I've now learned that some units in some places are still using them for whatever. I guess you really can learn something new every day.

To be fair, they didnt move under their own power very much.

After we had all 7 M88A1 down at the same time, they became pacer items.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It never helped when the douchbags in B Co would steal the Turret Power Box that you specifically need for the BFIST.  At least with the BFIST you got some space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay, more antennas.

Probably still easier to troubleshoot than a BFIST.

Ah, the BFIST recliner. Second most comfortable chair in the motor pool, after the driver's seat in the M1. With the added bonus that it didn't smell like piss like 99% of the tanks.

M992 was the easiest thing to work on comms-wise, though. You could stand up the whole time except for checking the driver's intercom
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Id vehemently disagree with the part in red.  FSO for a tank company for a while.  Me and the 1SG had a great relationship, and with our maintenance section, decked out his ride.  Humidor for the cigars, wired in coffee pot and a welded bracket to hold it.  Set it up with some camo nets on the back so when we lagered up for the night, we dropped ramp and had the nets out in a matter of minutes.  Done training for the day, we had the coleman grill in the BFIST, and everyone had a cooler of stuff in their tanks. Every field exercise basically became a camping trip.  Loved that unit.  Easily my best 18 months in the Army.  A well run tanker unit knows how to live in the field.  Even made NTC bearable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm glad to hear about one getting some love. I liked the M113 myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just pulled up google maps, and surprising, in a lot of those cities there are plenty of areas of buildings packed tightly together with relatively thin roads
View Quote

Now compare how many cities there is to rural areas. Iran and North Korea aren’t Amsterdam or TokyoAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You know that scene in "Crocodile Dundee" with the mugger and the knife?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically a Bradley without a turret

pardon my ignorance, but isnt that thing on top a turret ? or does turret mean something else ?

You know that scene in "Crocodile Dundee" with the mugger and the knife?

This shows the depth of your wit.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:20:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dense urban terrain is a big concern for the Pacific, but mainly because of cities like Singapore, Seoul, Jakarta, etc.

But like I said, you can't make every unit able to do everything.  The primary mission of an ABCT isn't MOUT in cities, there are other units more equipped for that. With that said reality doesn't always work that way and units make due with the cards they were dealt. Baghdad had some pretty tight spots and Abrams tanks with TUSK and Bradleys with ERA  had to stick to larger thoroughfares.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:34:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What about the Bradley?
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This
View Quote

What about it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This
View Quote

Its literally been explained multiple times in this thread
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dense urban terrain is a big concern for the Pacific, but mainly because of cities like Singapore, Seoul, Jakarta, etc.

But like I said, you can't make every unit able to do everything.  The primary mission of an ABCT isn't MOUT in cities, there are other units more equipped for that. With that said reality doesn't always work that way and units make due with the cards they were dealt. Baghdad had some pretty tight spots and Abrams tanks with TUSK and Bradleys with ERA  had to stick to larger thoroughfares.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:htjn in

Even dismissing Urban warfare, there are steep mountains out areas and there are heavily wooded areas.
If you can't operate Heavy equipment, your infantry operates dismounted and/or you bring in specialized formations. You can't just ignore the majority of wide open land and fixate on fighting in the densest parts, any more than you can stop operating a blue water navy because most of your fighting lately has been on land.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Somebody help me count, please:
AMPV wiki says 2897 vehicles planned.

Also says (roughly) that 33% of the 346 vehicles in an ABCT are M113s, which would make 114 vehicles...and 2897/114 = ~25 ABCTs across Active and Guard? Huh?

I didn't think there were going to be that many ABCTs left? I thought it was more like 15? So where are the other AMPVs going? There aren't that many at echelons above brigade, are there?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Somebody help me count, please:
AMPV wiki says 2897 vehicles planned.

Also says (roughly) that 33% of the 346 vehicles in an ABCT are M113s, which would make 114 vehicles...and 2897/114 = ~25 ABCTs across Active and Guard? Huh?

I didn't think there were going to be that many ABCTs left? I thought it was more like 15? So where are the other AMPVs going? There aren't that many at echelons above brigade, are there?
View Quote

Some will go to prepositioned stock or equipment sets. Some to the schoolhouses at Benning and Lee for training. I'm not exactly sure on the numbers, but some Engineer units have M113s on the MTOE.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Manic_Moran

do you still have the pics of you rolling into Iraq in an M113? I remember you live blogging this back in the tank-net days
View Quote

No, I rolled into Iraq in an open-topped M998.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150602175637/http://data.primeportal.net/iraq/Rollover.JPG

We did have the 1SG's M113 along, though, so it did get some use.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150603001006/http://data.primeportal.net/iraq/drvPC.JPG

so did the ambulance, actually.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150603003356/http://data.primeportal.net/iraq/drvamb.JPG
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The sarcasm of FightingHellfish runs thick.

I don't have the mad modelling skills to hang with the Gavin advocates.  Also, I don't have the courage to see if that fellow still has a web page.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still not a Gavin.

I hope you're joking.

Kharn
The sarcasm of FightingHellfish runs thick.

I don't have the mad modelling skills to hang with the Gavin advocates.  Also, I don't have the courage to see if that fellow still has a web page.

@MattM_Gilbert
His website's still around and was maintained by the members of his cult when I looked through it a few months back, but he died.
I need to dig it up again to see if they're shitting on the AMPV or loving it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looks like a Bradley if you got rid of the turret.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
View Quote

It is an idle Bradley hull with the turret removed and the electronics modernized.
The Army has a metric shit-ton of Bradleys in storage.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is an idle Bradley hull with the turret removed and the electronics modernized.

Kharn
View Quote

The Army is trying to use the Bradley hull as a common platform for several things.  The Paladin M109A7 uses a Bradley hull as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Our A7 Paladins are coming in the spring. Seems like we just finished swapping barrels on the last A6s.

And sorry 19Ks, but the 13Bs usually had the better names.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Army is trying to use the Bradley hull as a common platform for several things.  The Paladin M109A7 uses a Bradley hull as well.
View Quote

I want to turn some of them into IFSVs.  Infantry fire support vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

So....Bradleys?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Replace the M7 BFIST with these?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Four pages and no one asked...

Does this mean that 113s will be sold off as surplus?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So....Bradleys?
View Quote

Shitload of ammo instead of dismounts, bigger gun (GAU-12, maybe the new 40mm CTA), TOW replaced by a configurable “weapon station” that could employ various options as mission needs dictated, such as ATGM, 84mm Gustav, mortar, 70mm rocket pod, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

The MLRS does, but I thought the M109's were a different hull.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Shitload of ammo instead of dismounts, bigger gun (GAU-12, maybe the new 40mm CTA), TOW replaced by a configurable “weapon station” that could employ various options as mission needs dictated, such as ATGM, 84mm Gustav, mortar, 70mm rocket pod, etc.
View Quote

So you want a CFV with new guns?  The CFV/IFV is a completely different capability that has nothing to do with the AMPV outside of sharing a chassis.

The AMPV already is being fielded in a heavy mortar config for ABCT HHD mortar 120mm teams. The Carl Gustav is a dismounted weapon system with >300m range, has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle it resides in.  You arent going to get a configurable heavy weapons system on the fly.  There is no desire to increase the demand on the forward logistics train, no ability to test the systems in gunnery before use, and even the personnel MOS involved with the weapons systems themselves are different.   Also no real identified need for this to happen.  Sounds like a cool idea for a GI Joe toy though.

I expect a lot more enabler variants like engineer models, CUAS/SHORAD, EW/SIGINT, etc, but heavy firepower is not something an ABCT has found themselves lacking in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

A6 and earlier was different, but the A7 uses a Bradley hull to make maintenance/supply easier.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

They did. Now they use Bradley hulls.  I was out there when they were testing them, the different dimensions were causing all kinds of loading issues and shearing fuzes.

Supposedly they got better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Four pages and no one asked...

Does this mean that 113s will be sold off as surplus?
View Quote
Unfortunately my understanding is we will not be able purchase any domestic amor. Any amorm will have to be purchased from foreign countries. If it was never owned by the US then it can be purchased, that was what I was told many years ago by a collector. That may or not be true.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#40]
So any M113 going to show up in surplus auctions.......

Could really use that to pull.....uhhh.....something on the property.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We put 22 people in a M113 once. It wasn't fun.
View Quote

Have you ever been riding in the back and the driver tried to run over a tree he figured the M113 would knock over.  But he was wrong. The tree was very strong a stopped it
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#42]
One time I had an M106a2 doing 40 mph downhill at Fort Irwin.   My Cpl yelling at me over the CVC and I was too scared to touch either latteral for fear of flipping us.  There is a damn good reason the governor is set at 22
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have you ever been riding in the back and the driver tried to run over a tree he figured the M113 would knock over.  But he was wrong. The tree was very strong a stopped it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We put 22 people in a M113 once. It wasn't fun.

I ran over a smallish tree when I first began driving one.  Just to do it ya know.  Tree broke on the trim vain very nicely.  Then something knocked the shit out of me from behind.  Seems the tree broke and hit my Sgt who was in the CP hatch at the time.  He then returned the favor by pulling the safety pin from my drivers hatch.

Good times
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@MattM_Gilbert
His website's still around and was maintained by the members of his cult when I looked through it a few months back, but he died.
I need to dig it up again to see if they're shitting on the AMPV or loving it.

Kharn
View Quote
@Kharn:

Thank you for the follow up and the information.

Whereas Sparky was a character, I am in no way pleased to learn of his passing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you want a CFV with new guns?  The CFV/IFV is a completely different capability that has nothing to do with the AMPV outside of sharing a chassis.

The AMPV already is being fielded in a heavy mortar config for ABCT HHD mortar 120mm teams. The Carl Gustav is a dismounted weapon system with >300m range, has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle it resides in.  You arent going to get a configurable heavy weapons system on the fly.  There is no desire to increase the demand on the forward logistics train, no ability to test the systems in gunnery before use, and even the personnel MOS involved with the weapons systems themselves are different.   Also no real identified need for this to happen.  Sounds like a cool idea for a GI Joe toy though.

I expect a lot more enabler variants like engineer models, CUAS/SHORAD, EW/SIGINT, etc, but heavy firepower is not something an ABCT has found themselves lacking in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMPV is stingy with their hulls. Stryker accepts payment for new production assets.

No hulls = no low density variants.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So....Bradleys?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So....Bradleys?

I assume he means something like the Cockerill 105 turret the Brits are considering for Ajax,here on a CV90

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I assume he means something like the Cockerill 105 turret the Brits are considering for Ajax,here on a CV90

https://u0v052dm9wl3gxo0y3lx0u44wz-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/CMI-Defence-Cockerill-105mm-CV90.jpg
View Quote

That or a BMPT. Something with a high focus on infantry support
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Mobility vs armor vs firepower.

Still not sure why the 113 wasn't essentially replaced by the Stryker, which does the same thing, if a bit heavier and rolling on wheels. Not to mention the M1117, though you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze more people into that tin can.

As far as mobile firepower goes, I'm surprised the US military doesn't already field something akin to the 3T German Wiesel, a 2-man armored weapons platform or "mini-tank" the size of a hummvee but rocking a 20mm canon, or any number of other weapons. IIRC, Wiesel 1 chassis are being tested as unmanned land vehicles by DARPA... There's a lot of shit you can do with an IFV that small and fast.
View Quote

100% accurate WRT to the current M113 role. Stryker based is a much better solution.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They did. Now they use Bradley hulls.  I was out there when they were testing them, the different dimensions were causing all kinds of loading issues and shearing fuzes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they replacing the CATs with Bradley-hull based models as well?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, M992A3s.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top