Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

See that dog OP? He is thinking. That's what they do best. He'll beat you at chess and frisbee and then take off with your girl. You'll see him at dinner time, when, on a full stomach, he will begin to plan your morning wake-up surprise.

They're fun dogs. My father's was welded to his side, and I have never seen a tough Bronx boy love an animal as much as he did Motley.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I loved mine dearly..  He was a bit of a bad ass at times, and I swear sometimes he did things just to test me.  He was very protective of my kids and always kept them in his AO..that was fun to watch.  You do have to have a stronger will than theirs, but once they learn you're the boss they become the most loyal dogs ever.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Good lord...

Our Texas Heeler would truck them like an NFL middle linebacker, then have relations with the dark one, then scare them into the corner... there is no finesse involved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

doggie sunblock required
View Quote

Tried it, dog just licked her nose and removed sun block. Tattooing does not work either. I really felt bad for my pup.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on my 3rd Aussie...first 2 were regular size females.

This time we picked a mini...she's 1.5 yrs old and about 21 pounds and won't get much bigger.

Very loyal and loving dogs.

They will listen to you ..just take the time to train by command.

They will shed...I give them a haircut here in Texas 3 times a year...shear it myself at home to save $$.

Not a better bread of dog...for me anyway.

Love them and won't ever have another breed in my life.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
We think they're the greatest breed to have. We got a pure to replace our full size Collie when he died. Our Aussie-BC mix was going a little crazy so she needed a companion. They love each other to death and will 'fight' like they're trying to kill each other. Be prepared to buy lots of dog toys, we regularly have to buy new ones that she chews up. We have a big 3 story house and a fenced side yard for the 2 dogs and they get more than enough exercise. They are the most loyal and the nickname 'Velcro Dog' was made for them. Mine will follow me so close I can feel her on the skin of my leg going up and down stairs even. They are very, very protective; setting my alarm involves saying 'Stay!'. Not as protective as a Collie though. My wife is a certified dog trainer and she says you must train them or they will nip and stuff to people they don't think that are in their 'family'. You can get Aussies to not nip, Collies have a mind of their own when it comes to people they don't like.
And the comment about the bathroom is so true, sometimes both of them will come in and lay down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother has one... pretty sure he can do fractions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Ive got two of them, they can be a handful at times, but are the master race of dogs
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
We have two female Aussies and they are great dogs. They shed like they are getting paid for it and scary smart.

An older pic but the only one I have on the iPad.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
This is "Freedom", she is my second mini Aussie. They are amazing dogs, she thinks she is a guard dog and has single handedly save me from many sketchy leaves, plastic bags, ceiling fans, and she warned me when someone was attempting to break into my truck parked in the driveway.

Her whole world is to make me happy, sometimes to the point of being a little annoying, but she loves her family. She runs with me and even after several miles she needs about a 5 minute recharge and she is full energy again.

If you want a "guard dog" that will always warn you if someone is around I strongly suggest getting one.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I should also say, others have said they are smart. That is an understatement. Freedom i scary smart. She learns tricks after 4-5 minutes of working on them. Once she realizes what you want she will do it.

She is also super protective of my wife. When she warned me about someone breaking into my truck I went outside to confront them. My wife was sitting on the couch and freedom went and jumped on her lap and growled at the door until I returned. My wife said it was very clear freedom was protecting her.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By billth777:

We have a very happy and well exercised ACD. One of the reasons we're looking at the Australian shepherds is the similar exercise requirements/temperaments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billth777:
Originally Posted By Pesty:
Originally Posted By TheGreatCornholio:
They need exercise and lots of it. If you're the type of dog owner whose dog spends the majority of its time indoors/in a fenced yard, forget it. Not fair to the dog.

Going to take it on long hikes/runs? Throw frisbees for it in an open field? Take it everywhere with you and treat it as a companion? Awesome dogs.

Op read that gain.

We have a very happy and well exercised ACD. One of the reasons we're looking at the Australian shepherds is the similar exercise requirements/temperaments.

Then you should be good to go :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Great dogs, best I’ve ever had. Good with the grandkids

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
My Australian neighbor (ironically) has one and she's an amazing dog. I also have a co-worker that loves her Australian Shepherd.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I find get mine from folks that cant deal with them anymore and I only get 2 year olds and older. At that age you can see their true temperament and activity levels. Best companion and protector you will ever own.

Oz
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have 2 minis, best, smartest, most loyal dogs I've ever had. My son was dog sitting one for friends of his, I fell in love with that dog so fast we had to get one for ourselves. Then a year or so later we rescued the red one. They are a lot of fun. I definitely recommend.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#17]
A slightly dumber and less needy border collie that also tends to be a little more trusting of strangers.

A neighbor used to raise them, I like the breed. I can't help but compare them to Border Collies because of how similar they are in so many ways.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We lost our lab several months ago and the kids are already asking about a puppy. Our blue heeler is lonely too. I like the size and overall temperament of the heeler but I think we are going to mix it up a little and get a slightly different flavor. Thus the shepherd.

Who has one, what do you like/hate. If anyone has a line on a good breeder within a few hundred miles of Atlanta please chime in.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Our shepard mix is a total love sponge. They have 87% more energy than a lab so play with them a lot. They need to RUN!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had them all my life. I am typing this with my 5th one laying near me.

They are as smart as any dog can possibly be. They are also full throttle and shed twice a year, for 6 months at a time.

Like most shepards, they can be very protective and difficult around strangers.

I had one that was violent to his core.  He had two speeds with everyone and thing but me and my wife,... rape and murder.    He was utterly insane and every encounter was a rape or a fight to the death. However, with me, you would think he was a gentleman of noble and educated lines.

He tried so hard to speak english and he damned well understood it.  Knew everything by name and you could tell him some pretty random shit and he would do it.  He also was intuitive with my emotions.  He loved me. I loved him.    8 weeks to 13 years.  We had a hell of a bond and I still get choked up missing him.  (I miss them all, but he was something)

They are not for everyone. But if they are for you, nothing else will ever do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have owned 3 Aussholes and won’t own anything but. Smart like boarder collies but seem to be a little more relaxed ,they need a job but at the end of the day they are just happy to hang out. I haven’t gone to the bathroom alone in many years, they like to be with you at all times.
Females tend to be all business and will rule the roost where the males tend to clowns at times.
And yes hair is a problem my last 2 couldn’t hold a candle to my current one in the shedding department.

My last 2 never barked unless they had something treed or someone unknown was around my yard. My current only barks at tour cat or when he trying to get something started(play time). Oh and the mailman he has it bad for the mail man. Socialize them from the get go and they should be good with anyone but they tend to get territorial as they age.

Also all mine have been great with kids but they all had the “cop “ thing  and  don’t like fights and will get aggressive towards the aggressor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RetiredBU:
Fun to watch mine getting the chickens away from the road.
View Quote

We used to have a problem with foxes killing our chickens. I ran a "problem dog" call for a sheriff's dept I worked for and it turned out to be a sweetheart border collie and her pups herding a neighbor kid, lol. People don't understand the herding instinct. Anyway, I  resolved the situation by adopting the momma collie and one of her mixed pups. The momma collie is the real deal, full blooded border collie. We named her Lynzie. Ain't  seen a fox in the yard since the night she arrived (3 years ago).

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#22]
And, as others have said, you will never go to the bathroom alone.

Also, there are few things in life better than an Aussie puppy (and while named Austrialian Shepard, it is one of the most Amercian breeds with no ties to Australia. It is the American ranch dog)

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I had one that was mixed with a beagle growing.  That was the most loyal and intelligent dog I’ve personally encountered.  It was also the most dangerous and protective I’ve ever seen.  

If that dog didn’t know you...   He wanted you fucking dead.  It was unreal how that dog just wanted to tear into anything that wasn’t part of the family.  

Sample size of one, though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Neighbors have had 3. 

Two were fine, sweethearts really.

One stark raving lunatic.

Bit my wife and 3 other people.

Like people, every dog is different.
View Quote

Am I your neighbor? LOL.
We’ve had 3 also. Two were the sweetest, smartest, most loyal hard working dogs ever. Third one was the only dog we ever had to give away. We just don’t do that.. He would be absolutely perfect, then snap and bite people. It wasn’t malicious, because he wouldn’t really attack. But it was much more than a instinctive nip.
We felt bad giving him away to a rescue, but had no choice. We heard later that the rescue gal also had to eventually give him up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Just posting another photo of Freedom! She finally got tired and gave up her guard post!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#26]
My sister had one that was apeshit insane.  Lost a fight with an edger resulting in a huge vet bill.  Didn't stop it from attacking random things.  Neighbor didn't warn a guest and it masticated the guys hand.  NOT a nip.

It may not be representative of the breed, but there seems to be a higher than normal occurance of this kind of dog.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#27]
NVM.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Ours is very sweet but the whiniest/neediest dog I’ve ever owned.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#29]
My cousin is an Aussie breeder. You can find her on Facebook “Mabey Family Ranch”
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MRSRugerlvr:
My cousin is an Aussie breeder. You can find her on Facebook “Mabey Family Ranch”
View Quote

Ha! no shit.   They are very well known in the community.  The wife and I were talking today about taking a trip to Colorado (actual vacation then going to Utah) and maybe coming home with a "Mabey"

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]
will chase everything.  Kids, other dogs, sheep...  will find the nearest freeway and chase cars.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

Ha! no shit.   They are very well known in the community.  The wife and I were talking today about taking a trip to Colorado (actual vacation then going to Utah) and maybe coming home with a "Mabey"

View Quote

Fun! The girl knows her dogs- and raises quality pups!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#33]
So the moral of the story is: go to a good breeder who breeds dogs with sound, stable temperaments, know what you’re getting, and then train and socialize the dog you get.

All the “psycho dog wants to bite everyone” stories are products of one or both of two things. Either the dog was from a crappy breeder who doesn’t breed for temperament, or complete lack of training and socialization. Sound, stable, well-trained and socialized dogs don’t act like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Naamah:
So the moral of the story is: go to a good breeder who breeds dogs with sound, stable temperaments, know what you’re getting, and then train and socialize the dog you get.

All the “psycho dog wants to bite everyone” stories are products of one or both of two things. Either the dog was from a crappy breeder who doesn’t breed for temperament, or complete lack of training and socialization. Sound, stable, well-trained and socialized dogs don’t act like that.
View Quote

Not quite, even if “mostly” that is true.

Just like raising kids.  Sure, good parents and raising them right usually produces good results.

Sometimes it doesn’t.

Aussies are working dogs.  That brings with it some traits, that even in a good dog, might not work for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Like people, every dog is different.
View Quote

This!

We had an Australian Shepard mix.  Some scumbag put her and her siblings out on the road by our house.  The siblings went one way, but Maggie came to our house.  So she adopted us.

She was great with our kids.  Never bit or nipped, and she looked after them like they were her pups.  

Sadly, she was eaten up with cancer and we had to put her down two years ago.  I still miss her.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#36]
The dog will be smarter than you are. Accept that at the start....LOL
Room mate had one when I was in my 20's that could open the fridge, open doors with door knobs, not levers.
He would leave our house and go let himself into the neighbors place constantly.
We'd head out to surf about 5 miles away and leave him at home. By noon he'd show up sitting with our stuff on the beach.
I'll never forget Sid (Vicious), What a crazy smart dog!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag for future reading.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Oddly enough Australian shepherds don't come from Australia. Smart, energetic shedders. Don't let them get bored. My parents used to breed and show them in conformation, agility and herding. One they had bit me, one of my sisters and a nephew. Another neurotically wore a a dirt path in their backyard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Not quite, even if “mostly” that is true. 

Just like raising kids.  Sure, good parents and raising them right usually produces good results. 

Sometimes it doesn’t. 

Aussies are working dogs.  That brings with it some traits, that even in a good dog, might not work for everyone. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
So the moral of the story is: go to a good breeder who breeds dogs with sound, stable temperaments, know what you’re getting, and then train and socialize the dog you get.

All the “psycho dog wants to bite everyone” stories are products of one or both of two things. Either the dog was from a crappy breeder who doesn’t breed for temperament, or complete lack of training and socialization. Sound, stable, well-trained and socialized dogs don’t act like that.

Not quite, even if “mostly” that is true. 

Just like raising kids.  Sure, good parents and raising them right usually produces good results. 

Sometimes it doesn’t. 

Aussies are working dogs.  That brings with it some traits, that even in a good dog, might not work for everyone. 

+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

A dog has a brain and some capacity for thinking. Just because a dog bites someone or just doesn't like strangers doesn't make them ill-bred, abused, or un-socialized.

It should be even less surprising in a herding breed that would select for traits making it more wary and less trusting of outsiders.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:
Oddly enough Australian shepherds don't come from Australia. Smart, energetic shedders. Don't let them get bored. My parents used to breed and show them in conformation, agility and herding. One they had bit me, one of my sisters and a nephew. Another neurotically wore a a dirt path in their backyard.
View Quote

ya biting is a zero tolerance issue here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
One bump and ill let it die.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#43]
$50 CL dog, damn close to the best dog Ive ever had. Aussie Shepard mongrel as far as we know.
Does a weird yip when she wants out. Only barks when she's seriously upset about something, like people or dogs in our yard, the wife's cat touched her etc.
Used to be pretty energetic, got hurt chasing a rabbit a couple years ago and has mellowed out.
Sits at the front window and keeps watch 75% of the time. Finds some other random place to relax the rest of the time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I have two. I have had a total of 4 over the past 15+ years

I love Aussies. They are incredibly smart. They are incredibly active. Before you pick an Aussie ask yourself the following:

1.  Do you have enough property for them to run and be outside?  Aussies have to have this.

2.  How much time a day do you have to spend with a dog and do you like being outside rain, shine, heat or cold?  An Aussie demands more time than any dog I have ever had

3.  Do you want a dog that follows you everywhere.....and I mean everywhere. They are nicknamed “velcro dogs” for good reason

4.  Do you want a mellow dog?  If so....an Aussie is not for you. They are extremely high strung and active.  They need to be challenged not only with physical activities...but mental challenges.

Aussies are NOT for everyone. They are the smartest, most agile dogs I have seen. They are mire like a human with their understanding what you want them to do. Mine are amazing.

Here is one of mine. His name is Winchester

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BWood:
I have two. I have had a total of 4 over the past 15+ years

I love Aussies. They are incredibly smart. They are incredibly active. Before you pick an Aussie ask yourself the following:

1.  Do you have enough property for them to run and be outside?  Aussies have to have this. 

2.  How much time a day do you have to spend with a dog and do you like being outside rain, shine, heat or cold?  An Aussie demands more time than any dog I have ever had

3.  Do you want a dog that follows you everywhere.....and I mean everywhere. They are nicknamed “velcro dogs” for good reason

4.  Do you want a mellow dog?  If so....an Aussie is not for you. They are extremely high strung and active.  They need to be challenged not only with physical activities...but mental challenges. 

View Quote

1. 21 acres but thousands more behind me I have access to

2. we're home all day. the ACD we have now is not lacking for attention.

3. My ACD already follows me around. I like it

4. some of that is breed, some of it is environment, some of it is exercise load.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I own a lab, parents have 2 Aussies. They are a weird ass breed. Very hyper and anxious, never seem to calm down, follow your every step every second of the day. Not great around kids either. Tend to herd them and nip their heels if they're outside playing loudly.

I would never buy a herding dog in general, but that's me. They remind me of a small yippy dog in a medium sized body
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#47]
You will never outrun them...They need space to run and a job to do from sun up to sun down. At least that was my experience.

This was "Ruger" 24/7
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I had one that was great until he broke my heart at ten years of age. I wrestled and ran with him in the morning, watched him eat his breakfast, and left for a couple hours and came home to find him stone dead on the back porch. Apparently the breed tends to suffer ruptured aortas, or so said my vet. I hope that's what it was, and that is was fast. He was laid out in the middle of the deck with his eyes still wide open, and not hidden away somewhere as if he was sick, so I'm telling myself he just dropped dead.

He was super smart, full of energy, protective, and fun to be around. He was a natural herder, and it showed in his play. I was running with him, and passed a turn we usually took, and he tried to herd me back onto the remembered route, and herded my feet right out from under me trying to steer me straight. He was pretty proud of himself while watching me get up off the ground. I could have had my ex make a dozen sweaters from the hair he left around the house, though. You will have a new understanding of the word "shedder" if you get one. Just make sure you're able to keep them occupied and can keep up with their energy level. If you can give them a regular job, even better. If you don't they may very well find their own job, and it's almost 100% likely that it will be one you won't approve of.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Smart as they come but very high-strung.  Can also be stubborn... can learn anything they want to learn, but if they don't want to learn it, forget about it.

Ours turns to mewling, quivering jelly at the slightest rumble of thunder.  GSD just stares at him like "Dude, WTF?"  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I have two male Aussies. One is 11 and the other is around 6 months old. I decided years ago that I would not be without one. My buddy Wyatt is the older one and he is enjoying his retirement although he still sleeps in my daughter's room and keeps watch over her at night. We got the young pup to have around when he finally passes but got him early enough to have the benefit of learning a thing or two about being an Aussie from him.

I've got a GSD and a Great Pyrenees in addition to the two Aussies....ill have them forever
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top